High Noon

After the exhilaration of the last 2 days, my mood turned sour today. Something awful occurred to me.

We failed. I failed. All our lives we have had it drummed into us what happens when tyranny comes to town. When the bad guys arrive. We have been warned over and over and over again. We have the language, the cultural moments and the examples ringing in our ears. And still we, I, did not stand up when the time came. We became exactly like the townspeople in High Noon. Remember watching that? (If you haven’t, go out and watch it now). Remember the good, conservative townspeople who only had to stand shoulder to shoulder with Gary Cooper and the threat would have slunk away with no one hurt?

But they didn’t, did they? Like us, like me. Every excuse under the sun. I have a young family, I’m on my own. I have a job, I want to enjoy my retirement. I have grandkids, I have no one. I’m in the country, it’s not so bad here, I’m in the city, I can’t leave home. I have plans. Plans I tells ya. Maybe they’re partly right. Maybe if we wait they’ll eventually relent. Let someone else do it.

We were so sure when we watched that movie, weren’t we? I’d stand with the Marshall. So sure were we about who WE are, we couldn’t even understand those townspeople. What was wrong with them? They must be really rotten people.

There are millions of us, and 99% of us did NOTHING when the time came.

Good, law abiding citizens who watch in growing alarm as our states are taken over by complete totalitarian arseholes.

Watched as the media turned into a very good impression of Volkscher Beobachter or Pravda. And we all know what that looks like, sounds like and what it means.

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

Edmund Burke.

So we stood by as others, not so conservative, not so law abiding took up the challenge. And bloody struggle draws a step closer because of our inaction. And we call ourselves good men.

We stand by as the most awful, most incompetent little tyrants wag their fingers in our faces, satisfied they can continue to do so because their backup is the armed thugs of the state.

We listen to the braying idiots in the media and the fat thickies leading police forces as they repeat over and over the illogical drivel fed them by liars, and we know, we know we are looking at the living embodiment, living, walking, talking, here in our own time, of the banality of evil, for banal they are, and evil the places they are leading us.

It’s beyond me what we can do now, if vandalism, illegality and violence escalate. The response from these governing drongos, their stooges and tools will be further tyranny. One might almost think they want it thus. It didn’t have to be this way.

(I will remove any comments below that advocate violence or illegality.)

62 thoughts on “High Noon”

1. Likewise Arky – I was so heartened by what I was seeing yesterday and was almost immediately thinking, wouldn’t it be great if this was THE catalyst to draw many more thousands of Melbournians out of their homes to join the tradies and then march on Spring St and be our own velvet revolution. But it wasn’t and I didn’t.

It is hard to decide though exactly which hill to die on will be the fruitful one when you have responsibilities for others.

2. I will remove any comments below that advocate violence or illegality

It of course is very difficult then to post anything as standing shoulder to shoulder is a breach of distancing rules, and other various emergency health orders. It is hence an insurrection and violent (insurrections are not “peaceful” … and almost definitionally violent!).

If so – can you talk about it? The example of Monica Smit and that lady in rural Vic who was raided by Vic Plod in front of her children for facebooking suggest you will be doing a lot of deleting…

3. It’s pretty hard to come up with any way to push back against this tyranny that isn’t illegal. The ability to display discontent is a feature of democracies but not permitted by our tyranical rulers. Just look at the extent they are going to so they keep protest numbers at a minimum. A legal option to push back might be to write an email to your complicit local member. That’ll force change.

The media will continue their agenda to enshrine fear and division across the country and given the number of people living in fear and wanting to be protected by the government no matter the economic cost don’t expect to effect change at the ballot box.

We’ve never been so stuffed.

4. It’s pretty hard to come up with any way to push back against this tyranny that isn’t illegal.

I agree. And that is by design, isn’t it?
    It isn’t one or the other. Violent uprising or compliance.
    To others:
    If you come to this comments section to complain about my lack of solidarity because of the last sentence, you haven’t understood what I’m saying. Which is my fault, obviously I haven’t made it clear.
    I don’t think the events of the last two days are taking us where you think you want to go.
    And this is happening because millions of folks like me didn’t act sooner to protest legally.
    Now we’re stuck with whatever occurs from here.

5. Non-violent resistance.

Sorry – I will advocate for illegality where appropriate.

Laws are not morals. Laws change. Laws will only change if there is pressure applied.

6. Julius Caesar was right when he opined that a coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies but once, and we as a nation are proving it by allowing our leaders or despots as some of us maintain, to run away from a virus probably not much more dangerous than the seasonal ‘flu and take us with them. Our fathers or grandfathers ran towards danger from 1915 until 1945 and later, we run away from a lesser danger now and should be ashamed to call ourselves Australians.

7. Arky – sorry, I didn’t address your main point.

I agree – I’m at the point where I feel depressed I haven’t been standing up (other than minor civil disobedience around the place).

8. [If you do it specifically in a comment section I could be held responsible for, I’ll delete that comment. Feel free to do it elsewhere Duncan. – Arky]

No worries. .. I will not list specifics here.. (that would be stupid on my part regardless).

9. Now we’re stuck with whatever occurs from here.

I don’t think any one is misinterpreting what you intended to convey… You are of course completely right. However – I don’t think that it is a lost cause …

The eastern European states that succumbed to Communism were tired. The war took a massive toll on the psyche of these – and they had resistance bludgeoned out of them by the Germans. They lost too many who resisted and there wasn’t enough time to build up strength to do it again.

Here in Aust and certainly in the US [and in places in Europe] the resistance is strong – and growing.

The CFMEU action may well be a catalyst for real protest and resistance. If they chose to march in their hundreds and they are left alone [do you really want the violence that stopping them will entail?], then the next time there will be thousands marching. AND THEN IT WILL GROW! There is a silent fury out there!

So … am watching with great interest. This may well be a turning point for Vic!

10. No worries Duncan. I expected the last sentence to become the topic in the comments. Either that or for people to go “Screw you hypocrite, I’m not commenting at all then. It does illustrate the corner we’re painted into.
    What the hell do you do when they make protest illegal?
    At some point civil disobedience and not just protest becomes a duty.

11. “(I will remove any comments below that advocate violence or illegality.)

I would never advocate violence but I can’t say the same about “illegality”…..if that means refusing to be vaxxed, wear masks or protest peacefully in the streets.

12. Look. Our hope is the MUA, TWU, ETU/CEPU, BLF & CFMEU all going ham over this in every State.

Never thought I’d be marching WITH the unions. Ok here we go: Kickin’ ass for the working class… hey ho, hey ho!

13. “If you come to this comments section to complain about my lack of solidarity because of the last sentence, you haven’t understood what I’m saying.”

I hope you didn’t read my comment above as a complaint about you. It was more of a “look how far we’ve all fallen” sort of thing. I do understand not wishing to take on legal liability for the words of others.

But your last sentence – understandably, mind you – really encapsulated what the citizens told Cooper in High Noon.

I suppose we can all keep looking – hoping – for our own Cooper.

14. Our hope is the MUA, TWU, ETU/CEPU, BLF & CFMEU all going ham over this in every State.

The advantage union members have over middle class types is that they belong to a ready-made network and they have a culture of militancy. With that they can force the state to bend. Remember Solidarnosc; a different kettle of fish from the CFMEU, to be sure, and they used non-violent means of civil resistance to state power, but the same principles apply. By contrast, even with social media, the middle class is atomised into individuals who find it much harder to resist the illiberal state.

15. I was moved tears watching the protest,these so called non essential workers.If all workers stopped work,then they would fast become essential

16. I won’t forsake you, oh my darlings. Sheet is going to happen and likely some of our peers will be in court being judged by a jury of their peers. I would hope any peer of mine would be able to see the situation I/he/they had been forced into. “Not guilty, your honour”.
    Courtesy struth
    at 45 seconds – McAnus. Must mean that bloke Sally. Deliberate error methinks as capital A.
    Sally McManliness has come out and blamed right wingers, a declaration she stands with Dan and every other premier. Unions vs union members.

17. By contrast, even with social media, the middle class is atomised into individuals who find it much harder to resist the illiberal state.

Civil society, through which the middle class could previously express their will, has also been weakened over recent generations. Going back to Aristotle, civil society was the way citizens in a democracy could jointly promote the common good and keep political society in check. Where institutions of civil society persist, they have largely been co-opted by the progressives and their role subverted. They then become instruments of the illiberal state by extending its policies into the civil (and thus into the private and family) sphere. The only way to combat this is to form alternatives.

18. if that means refusing to be vaxxed, wear masks or protest peacefully in the streets.

Yep.
    Which should have occurred en masse last year, but didn’t.
    We’ve been played like a harp.

19. Rorschachsays:
    September 21, 2021 at 10:54 am
    Never thought I’d be marching WITH the unions.

You’re not. You’re marching with the workers. The workers are finally twigging to the fact the Unions don’t represent them.

20. Maybe I’m just a bit down today.
    Watching the live stream of those young guys chanting “Fuck the jab” right now.
    Maybe I should have more faith in the goodness and common sense of the common man.

21. Love your post Arky.
    I would help you out, but I’m snowed under by these boxes of red ribbon. A crushing weight of them.
    And there is red ribbon tied to my ankles, hands and arms. The ribbon itself is not very strong but there is just so much of it.
    See you when I can break free from this stuff.

22. Laws are for the guidances of wise men and the blind obedience or fools.
    I’ve been pushing the envelope and actually quietly defying the tyranny,
    And nothing has happened. Maybe I should ditch the collar and jacket.
    I’m happy to stand shoulder to shoulder for as long asmI can. I’m old but carry a strong stick. And still a handful when provoked.
    Just tell me where and when.

23. Dot says:
    September 21, 2021 at 10:48 am

A forlorn hope I would suggest Dot, the unions are complicit in this enslavement along with Big Government and Big Business. Change will come when the workers turn on their unions and do their own thing, as we saw in Melbourne yesterday.

24. A man’s body has been found at a worksite in West Melbourne, hours after the Victorian government announced a two-week shutdown of the city’s construction sector.
    News of the tragedy broke as protesters descended on the Melbourne headquarters of the Construction, Forestry Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) for the second day in a row, meeting a heavy police presence following yesterday’s violent scenes.

The Herald Sun reports the man’s body was found at a site on Spencer Street at about 7am this morning. It is understood he took his own life.

“Sadly the man, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene,” a Victoria Police spokeswoman said.

One message circulating among construction workers in the wake of the news read: “Breaks my f***in heart. His blood is on Dan Andrews’ hands. May you rest in peace and your mind be at ease brother. Today we protest in your name and in your honour.”

25. Will this be the ultimate super spreader event?

Yah … Super Spreading anti-tyranny, pro-freedom and liberty sentiment EVERYWHERE!

Kickin’ ass for the working class… hey ho, hey ho!

26. If your only pathway to stand up for freedom is to stand with the union movement, you’re already boxed in to a totalitarian future.

27. I think the points made above about atomisation of the general public is very on point.
    Notice the best pushback so far is from a group allowed to stay “ solidarity” because it was a reliable troop for the left agenda.

Nearly any other social group which existed 40 years ago ( CWA, sporting/ social groups) has been “ conformed” to be either neutered, or otherwise subverted to the managerial parasite class who see them as a stepping stone to a board or government appointment.
    Charities are perverted enablers of dysfunction and education a woke joke.

I think if anyone wants to join in a union based protest they need to dress so as to not try to blend in and not be violent as it would just feed the “ ring ins” narrative being pushed.

28. So, according to John Setka, leader of cfmeu, a union and financial supporter of the LaboUr party, known for its membership of bikies and thugs, the cfmeu has been infiltrated by the far right and they are the trouble makers, not union members.

And the cfmeu are just standing back, not beating up the “far right” for highjacking the left leaning cfmeu?

Like when Allan Jones caused the Cronulla riots, and all the shirtless trouble makers had Human Nature tattoos.

29. But there is one thing I learnt from teaching. You don’t have the power you think you do. There is one of you and twenty + of them. You can’t force compliance.

Ditto. I made this comment to the Prince on Saturday night after the terrible debacle on Barkers Rd. He posted his disgust with VicPlod on FaceChook and copped a serve from someone in my close family taking him to task on his lack of support for the black uniformed ones given we have several rellies currently and formerly serving. My response is that if you have lost us, then you are losing everyone.

I said to him that it’s like teaching, your control over those kids* is a mere bluff. When one or many kids call that bluff you are up the proverbial creek paddleless. And once the majority see that it’s a bluff they will jump to the dark side without a second thought. You can only maintain the bluff through leadership which is based on trust and respect. VicPlod blew that in a single incident on Saturday afternoon. It’s only downhill from here.

For many of us and our fellow citizens trust and respect in our broader leadership have been destroyed on a daily basis for the last two years. Not a single so called Idiot In Charge can recognise the effort and struggle that will be required to rebuild those two things. In fact, they seem hellbent on doubling down on the stupid daily.

* In my early days, a grade six in a Brunswick primary school was regularly made of up of 36-40 kids. The early puberty Greek and Italian lads towered over me and easily outweighed me as well. I was the only female teaching at that level, mostly because I had taught those particular boys for three years previously and we had mutual respect and trust built over time. When I received my Army Reserve commission every single one of them turned up to my graduation ceremony. Good times.

30. Also wanted to add, the thuggery by VicPlod, now on the regular, makes the job much more dangerous for the ones with their hearts and courage in the right place. Which I sincerely hope means my serving rellies.

Whining about not expecting to be hurt or trampled when you go to work is a fine position if you are a admin ant at a cubicle workstation. If you have signed up to policing, what the hell were you expecting in terms of job dangers?

31. What a commitment to getting the truth out there for us. That battery pack must be heavy as …!!!

Are the police just wearing the protesters out getting them to walk round and around the city block?

32. I think VicPol have miscalculated.

While they were busy cordoning off Flinders St Station, they forgot to stop the crowd moving on to, and blocking the West Gate freeway.

Ooops.

33. Whether early action (last year) would have worked depends on who’s pulling the strings.

If it was just our local scum, then yes.

If it was from much higher up, then they may have retreated a bit, revised their plans and come down very hard very quickly.

34. “I do feel we can all do more. I ask you all to pressure your local members. It’s (surprisingly) working for me, and I have some promising engagement.”
    *******
    And flood VicPol’s complaints service. Not in an out of control abusive way but articulately telling them that with behaviour like with the 70 year old woman and the Ballarat pregnant lady they’ve lost law abiding citizens like you, and that they will have to work hard to convince you that they’re your protectors rather than your oppressors.
    One letter may do no good. Surely lots of them will get someone thinking.

35. Groundswells of opinion can be conveyed to governments in a variety of ways. Some write letters, as I do. Others engage in small-scale non-compliance, and tell their neighbours to get lost if they object.
    Some argue within families or friendship groups so that their point of view has to be heard. A lot make comments and put ticks on comments in major newspapers. Just being on Catallaxy and keeping it going is a small contribution too. Some march, and others get angry and engage in minor and major skirmishes when they are opposed trying to make their protests heard. Some drive trucks into the CBD and others engage in a variety of nuisance factor acts. Some simply spread around memes that send up the tyrannies both large and small that we oppose. Some refuse to buy newspapers that peddle unexamined nonsense or promote only one side of an issue, until they change, and until their journalists too start to listen. This is all part of creating groundswell of opinion. It can translate into votes, and politicians know this.

So keep making waves both big and small, and keep of good heart. And all kudos to those who do so in ways that through no fault of their own cause them grief and harm, and kudos to those who restrain from violence but still get out on the streets for peaceful protest. For they are the heroic ones, who take out of the nation’s homes a message from the rest of us. If politicians are not listening then these waves both big and small will not cease.

36. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Bearesays:
    September 21, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Lizzie – Regular Contributor with Bad News for Liberals

and

37. Arky, I just caught sight of this inspiring Liberty Quote that Dover has put up.

If you can feel that staying human is worth while, even when it can’t have any result whatever, you’ve beaten them.

— George Orwell

So for goodness sakes, none of us should give way to depressions.
    There is so much about staying human that we should enjoy and appreciate.

38. Could Dover nan any person who seriously, without irony use the word “unacceptable “.
    The poor snowflake is on the wrong site anyway.
    He can kiss my arse.

39. DrBeauGansays:
    September 21, 2021 at 9:49 pm Edit
    I will break any law or rule I consider immoral. There are an increasing number of them.

I don’t care.
    Just don’t write about it on my thread BG.

40. Superspreader is just one of many terms that needs to be discontinued or made unacceptable to use for us to progress past the current madness.

Correct.
    Likewise all the programming language used against us, such as reciting ‘numbers of’ “cases” and even hospitalisations & even deaths.

All the figures around all of it from go to whoa have been as rubbery as AF, just pumped out daily to terrorise people into compliance.

41. No.
    We did not.
    I did not.
    I did not comply and have not.
    Right from the start.
    You may have regrets.
    I don’t.
    Whatever you may think of me, I know what my son thinks of me.
    And that is what is important to me.
    So he has an example to look at.
    That he cannot blame me.
    And I leave him that.

42. The elation I felt watching these recent scenes is, I think, understandable. Many of us just want to see some reaction, any reaction from anyone after nigh two years of stupidity and awfulness and quiet, sad, lonely deaths under these horrible regimes.

Yes, that’s what it felt like – elation. Finally people have had enough and some were brave enough to say it so openly. Eighteen months is a long time to feel oppression and injustice and not being permitted to say a word against it because everyone around you was on board with the oppression.

43. DrBeauGansays:
    September 21, 2021 at 9:49 pm Edit
    I don’t care.
    Just don’t write about it on my thread BG.

It works for Sally McManus. I can’t remember whether it was Andrew Bolt or Rita Panahi who last night replayed Sally glibly saying exactly that.