No One Agrees. I Must be Right.

Here is the problem: If you open something, say a blog, up to everyone, then idiots will come along and destroy what you are trying to create. That is a certainty for any creative effort that is not from the progressive left.

Some of you seem to be suffering from the delusion that Catallaxy threads are a sort of completely open service to which anyone, anyone at all may add anything they like.

This is untrue. Dover has very carefully decided who to let in and who to exclude. Your very first comment here went straight into moderation.

And very wise he is to do so too.

If you understand THAT, then maybe your stupid grumblings are that it is me doing the deciding on the threads that I author. Maybe you think the rule is “Once Dover lets us in, it’s access all areas”. You may certainly take that up with him.

But don’t suffer under the illusion that I am doing anything different from what is always done everywhere. It might be done more seamlessly or with a facade of kindness, or acceptability in that it looks like it is done in line with some generally accepted standards, but it is always being done. You just don’t like it that I’m making an issue of doing it to you, have taken the cowling off the mechanism so you can see it being done in real time, and am deliberately doing it really hard and rough. Because I’m a bastard.

Perhaps because so many of us have for so long been doing this on various versions of the Cat, you think there is some conventions which have developed to which I am bound. Horseshit, I say to that.

Here’s a further explanation of the problem. If you only let in those you LIKE, and don’t then hold them to a standard, whatever standard, because you LIKE them, isn’t that called something like nepotism? Doesn’t that also lead to the types of “in” discussions that pollute so much of Catallaxy? I don’t want that shit on the things I author. Take it to the open thread.

Wouldn’t you rather know that your effort got through someone who really doesn’t like anyone? Or is the tribalism so, so damn strong in you all that what you’re really after is the sense of belonging?

Well don’t bloody look to me for that. I’d rather let through a fantastic argument by someone I hate than do that revolting thing of joining a club. Actually, if I like you, I’m more inclined to shitcan you, because friendships need to be tested to destruction.

You have one hour to propose your solution to the problem outlined above: How to stop idiots from destroying a joint creative effort like a blog.

It isn’t a trivial or simple problem. Don’t conflate it with what is happening in places that promote themselves as platforms but which are instead acting as editors. Don’t confuse it with what is coming down the line at you: You getting thrown off PLATFORMS because you are politically undesirable. You not being employed. You not being able to trade. You not being able to do banking. Because of your politics. Don’t get confused. Get the arguments straight in your head, because the progressive left want them confused.

Stupid comments will this time be deleted without their tiny little corpses left strung up as indications that they existed in the first place. If there are zero comments after an hour, either no one cares or every comment was remorselessly eliminated as authored by idiots.

20 thoughts on “No One Agrees. I Must be Right.”

1. Of course you are entitled to enforce whatever rules you wish.

2. I think your plan of keeping threads locked from the beginning is the best solution you have.

But there are things that require the input of others.
    Many times, these are precisely the things that bad actors want to disrupt.

3. How to speak quarts and say nothing? Just a tiny comment. Blogs are generally for the purpose of exchanging views. Otherwise, they are nothing but personal playgrounds.

4. Perhaps then, flag a comment that is going off topic or becoming personal bickering once and warn the poster.
    If it continues, then remove the comments and people involved.

I’m not sure what tools this site actually has, if you can lock individuals from a particular thread?

5. I’ve wondered what to do with threads that you want focussed on a particular question. Rather than deleting comments you could simply point out it is another question but not the focus of this thread and redirect the thread to the question for discussion. There are deft ways of doing this and less deft ones. This requires a bit of effort and so you can just close comments when the on-topic discussion has dwindled down within a few days.

6. Adult debate is about the exchange of ideas and information.

If you cannot rationally and articulately defend your position, then a reasonable person will conclude that it wasn’t that good in the first place.

7. People overall will find that easier to deal with than having their comments deleted based on the subjective opinion of someone else.

It’s coming and soon.

8. Then how will they find having themselves “deleted” based on the subjective opinion of someone else??
    It’s coming and soon.

That is a separate topic…
    Not well is the short answer though

9. I’ve wondered what to do with threads that you want focussed on a particular question. Rather than deleting comments that you could simply point out that it is another question but not the focus of this thread and redirect the thread to the question for discussion.

If you do that the thread just gets derailed into a meta discussion of what is and isn’t on point.
    And they take offence either way.
    You’re still hung up on what Catallaxy was, rather than being willing to put your own stamp on it.
    More than anything, I want you to get a grip on the idiots here.
    I won’t let them loose on anything I author.

10. I think one of the more effective methods of culling is to make blatantly trollish or diversionary comments “ invisible” unless you click to see them.
    Another method is straight out deletion.
    3rdly is the edit and mock… it can really send trolls into a spasm of hate.
    You replace their comment with “ I molest marsupials for fun and profit” or something else irrelevant.
    Finally there is the ban on the person altogether.

11. If I were in your shoes, Arky, I’d rule in arguments and supporting evidence, regardless almost of the thesis. I should eliminate any mere abuse.

12. I’ll play the devil’s advocate here. I’ve hit the ‘report comment’ button on every comment here and I expect them all to be deleted. Because, offended.

13. The problem we have here is that for too many, ‘argument’ is another word for row.

I will admit this is part of the problem. I don’t do well with confrontations. But I do like arguing with people who have thoughtful arguments contrary to my own. I also feel uncomfortable with love ins and want to smash them up after a time.

14. “More than anything, I want you to get a grip on the idiots here.”

But there’s the rub – definition of idiots.
    I would suggest those who are so fixed and tribal in their position, that even well cited facts fail to penetrate. Those who cannot say “I was wrong”, or “I hadn’t thought of that” or “good point” – acknowledging and conceding when you are wrong is how you sharpen your position.

We can be tribal and have an echo chamber, or we can be logical and welcome the chance to have an honest debate.
    I hope we are grown up enough to do the latter, but I fear that too many will claim to want the latter, but insist on the former. It is difficult and very challenging to keep yourself under control in this regard – most especially with opinions, as opposed to facts – but I think well worth it.

15. Those who cannot say “I was wrong”, or “I hadn’t thought of that” or “good point” – acknowledging and conceding when you are wrong is how you sharpen your position.

This style of not backing down at any cost has been a part of the Catallaxy culture from the beginning.
    It’s not getting on my threads.

16. Specific-topic threads are somewhere between a conversation and an argument whereas open threads are conversations. Arguments are trying to reach a conclusion, conversations aren’t. The problem with a thread on a specific-topic is simply the number of commentors makes it difficult to maintain focus so you have to err on the side of generousity. However, people that wilful try to derail, troll, and like might be asked to take it up on the OT, not on that thread.

17. I don’t know if it can be done technically, but perhaps there could be two grades of commenters: open thread only and access to all threads once a commenter has proven themselves to the blog owner to have something to contribute.