2,277 thoughts on “Open Thread – New Year 2022”

1. I am not an entitled boaster, no-one who knows me thinks that

I’m sure that in real life you’re absolutely charming and it’s true that people like you often appear that way.

for somebody that isnt a boaster, you sure do like to tell everybody how you’ve been blessed with all the brains and all the words

shame that, among people you want to claim as friends, that you struggle to use your endowments for good. indeed, even for your own good

while the dick-less are upticking, they arent typing. surely, that isn’t lost on somebody as smart as yourself

2. Great idea.

“Donna” hurt no one and shouldn’t be held responsible for something Douglas might have done.
    Apparently that’s his story and he’s sticking to it.

3. JCsays:

January 3, 2022 at 10:05 am

Also cacio e pepe is too rich and salty for me.

I keep seeing this posted. What the hell is it?

Is Roman dish.
    Spaghetti, pecorino cheese, ground black pepper.
    I like it.
    Rosie doesn’t.

4. Call that a flounce?
    THIS is a dramatic exit:
    Late in the third quarter, Antonio Brown stripped off his jersey and pads on the sidelines of Sunday’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers-New York Jets game. He threw some gear into the crowd. He finished by running off the field shirtless, exhorting fans to cheer as he took a shortcut through the end zone to the tunnel.
    Brown appeared to simply quit on his team midway through Sunday’s game

5. Abbott’s Election Funding appeared to dry up after his father died in 2017.
    Googlin’ Wiki tells us that Dick Abbott owned the largest Orthodontic practice in Australia and he worked in the practice until he was 78.
    Once the money dried up Tony was history, whether from Steggall or someone else.

6. I’m biased, but I still think Tony Abbott was good for Australia.

He was intellectually inconsistent and froze in front of a camera.

Let’s not forget that this was the guy who told us we had a budget emergency but simultaneously signed on two the two most ruinous spending proposals the Lying Slapper saddled us with. These were Gonski and the NDIS while Abbott was squealing we had a budget emergency. Who could believe him? Granted, he did some decent things like the ones you mentioned and he closed down the car industry subsidy bullshit. Having closed it down, he didn’t offer the hard done by consumers the true reward of being able to purchase cheaper motor vehicles. He kept the fucking tariffs in order to placate those those feather bedded workers who cost us 50K a year in subsidies.

And then there was the camera work. How does a guy who preforms excellently in Parliament become a fucking inarticulate pussy in front of a camera. I will never be able to figure that one out. He needed to explain his position to the punters and never did.

7. I’m annoying people?
    You wrote this Gobbledegook:

You’ve been listening to Dot again, haven’t you?

8. incoherent rambler says:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:30 pm
    For some of us, dickless upticking is all that we’ve got.

I upticked you without using my dick.

IR – please, a little sensitivity… HB Bear doesn’t even have a Ken bump.

9. The thing about Abbott was his own party had become such a lefty cesspit that it was only happy to use him to win an election. Again it would be interesting to know what part the NSW LP in this demise. Was Steggles to real lieboral candidate?

10. Ecole de Cavalerie at Saumur, Loire

That’s exactly the place I was thinking of, Bons. Ditto the Pegasus Bridge Museum in Normandy.

Some of the stuff at Arnhem Nijmegen I wouldn’t mind seeing, too. And the Panzer museum at Munster.

I didn’t know about the experimental stuff museum at Duxford, though. That sounds like an interesting research subject.

11. Yes Ed. Close down the domestic car industry, supported by tariffs and subsidies up the wazoo. When you’ve done that keep the tariffs. That makes perfect sense to you, right? You idiot. Stop talking!

12. I’m annoying people?

Yes, Grigory. That kinda comes with the territory of being an incompetent anklebiter with a leftist slant and a penchant for gypsum…

#TheTruthHurts

13. Very interesting video from central Queensland, see RickW’s link above, where an ordinary properly calm bloke in his shopping Centre rented cafe, is standing up against police Covid intimidation. Best part for me, in addition to the customers chanting ‘leave the shop’ to the police, was that some protesters then spread out into the Centre calling on shoppers to ‘remove the masks’, that there was no risk, and to not be taken in by government propaganda.

The masked ones looked like startled Helots, hearing what they suspected might be the truth for the first time.

A sort of “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall” moment, in a minor populist key.

14. Four arrests…will be interesting to see their backgrounds…

The Australian Federal Police has charged a Victorian man over a fire at Old Parliament House in Canberra that authorities will allege was deliberately lit.

The 30-year-old was arrested on Sunday and has been charged with arson and damaging commonwealth property. He will front ACT Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Footage appears to show the fire was deliberately lit, but it remains unclear why and a number of unverified claims have emerged on social media.

An official statement made by the Aboriginal Test Embassy said that the actions of protesters in conducting a smoking ceremony was “done so without the knowledge, consent or mandate of the Embassy Council and Traditional Owners responsible for the regulation of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy”.

Another three people fronted court on Sunday, with two facing charges of assaulting a frontline service provider and the third was charged with hindering a Territory official.

The AFP led a joint task force with ACT Policing to identify the protesters from body cameras worn by officers on the ground, CCTV footage from Old Parliament House and clips circulating on social media.

Anyone with information that could assist police in relation to criminal activity in the Parkes area over the past two weeks is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.

15. Old School Conservativesays:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:07 pm
    I’m biased, but I still think Tony Abbott was good for Australia.

Having got rid of RGR he was, at that time, a candidate for statues in every city and major town in Australia. Six months later he was still doing great. Then he let Hockey deliver that budget, totally lost his mojo, was thus responsible for the Mick Trumble Election Winning Machine, and didn’t start contributing again till he started to at least talk the talk again.
    Compared with what was likely to have happened otherwise I’m still glad he gave it a tilt, and wouldn’t mind him coming back into the fray, but I’d keep my expectations modest.

16. Abbott went off the rails somewhere, I swear I could remember him saying he wanted to turn Australia into an international food bowl and that he wanted to be known as an infrastructure PM.
    Whaa happened?

17. H B Bearsays:

January 3, 2022 at 12:22 pm

White pepper is for poofs.

Damn straight.
    Use white pepper and you don’t got cacio e pepe.
    You got cacio e fagio.

18. …but I’d keep my expectations modest

Applies to all ostensibly conservative Australian politicians who serve in the outer faction of the Uniparty.

Saves a lot of disappointment in the long term.

19. Having explained I carry antibiotics after being slugged usd$ 200 for what would have cost me au$25 here, that I’m prone to bronchitis and pleurisy, which I’ve had in France, the US and New Zealand there was me thinking I was capable of self diagnosis and treatment and that was non controversial.
    Not much different to my telehealth appt last July when I told the doctor I has bronchitis and he left a script at the counter to be picked up.
    But no, some actual loon on the internet though it worth making demands and name calling.

20. Having got rid of RGR he was, at that time, a candidate for statues in every city and major town in Australia.

Dude, a transgender donkey could have got rid of the Lying Slapper.

21. rosiesays:

January 3, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Well, yes.
    We carry a modest medical kit with us overseas.
    Quite apart from the cost, when you are on the move you can’t afford the time to be mucking around with doctors and chemists unless it is red hot urgent.

22. My o/s travel kit always has a course of antibiotics included, which I never need. Until the last time, when I left it at home. And then desperately needed them.

Typical.

23. calli says:
    January 3, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Like I tell the grandkids when they look at my kit sometimes – it’s better to have it & not need it than need it and not have it.

24. In post 1918 war families get attacked and killed. Did that stop our forefathers fighting?

Abbott was a massive disappointment from day 1. He didn’t fight back.

25. Some of the stuff at Arnhem Nijmegen I wouldn’t mind seeing, too

The “Airborne Museum” at the Hotel Hartenstein in Arnhem is well worth a visit, as is a day spent wandering around Nijmegen. It bears out the point of view that “What happened on the Groesbeck Height had no bearing whatever on what happened at the bridge.”

26. Sancho and Calli.
    Now added to the ‘funking loon’ column.
    And good point add time and inconvenience to the reasons , especially when your local language skills are confined to
    Two tickets, please
    A coffee please
    Hello, thank you, excuse me, goodbye, have a nice day, sisters and brothers, amen.

27. Scott Morrison says he won’t ‘undercut’ businesses by funding free rapid antigen COVID-19 tests

Scummo stalking his way through the pre-election killing fields, playing bagpipes.

“We’ve invested hundreds of billions of dollars getting Australia through this crisis,” he said.

“We’re now at a stage of the pandemic where you can’t just make everything free, because when someone tells you they want to make something free, someone’s always going to pay for it and it will be you.”

Always alert, Therapeutic Albo, notices an opportunity:

“With months and months to prepare, from a pandemic that has been going for two years, it is unbelievable the government has told people to not go and get tested, but to test themselves with a rapid antigen test that isn’t available, and isn’t affordable,” Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese said.

Mr Albanese said the consequences would be “dire” if rapid tests were not freely available.

Dire, eh?
    Very astute observers will detect an ALP policy and election promise forming up…

28. Dude, a transgender donkey could have got rid of the Lying Slapper.

So you are saying the Libs should have gone with Christopher Pyne in 2010?

29. I’d have Tones back in a heartbeat.
    I in 7 Italians now have covid, right now.
    From today Rome is yellow zone which limits you to four unrelated people at the same table at a restaurant.
    The fact that tables are 20cm apart is irrelevant.

30. Ha ha.
    I packed padded bike shorts every trip for ten years after the memory of the calloused arse bone following a long ride along the canals in France.
    Could barely walk for two days.
    It was like my first week in boarding school all over again.

31. I in 7 Italians now have covid, right now.

Dropping like flies, I presume? Hospitals overwhelmed? Morgues filling? Bosch-like scenes in the Piazza Navona? Bloated bodies floating down the Tiber?

32. “This is a public policy failure the like of which we haven’t seen in this country before.”

This is a concerted stunt to wedge ScoMo.
    Hunchback and PalaceChook were dismissing rapid tests as “inaccurate and inappropriate” as recently as three weeks ago.
    Suddenly, on the same day they announce that rapid tests are the go and two days later Albo is screaming about a shortage.
    Don’t worry. The Liars cronies will have warehouses full of them.
    Same for the compressed schedule for boosters. Six, no five … wait four months interval. Which means there will be a bottleneck around March, when the Federal campaign will kick off in earnest.

33. Rosie, I now have a medical letter from an Australian Specialist (Consultant) saying give me antibiotics if I say I need them. In it she says I should also never be without a current supply for immediate self-treatment especially if travelling overseas and I now hold two repeat scripts always. During the recent period when I could only get a telephone consult and no antibiotics this doc reckons I could have died from an inflammatory peritonitis (legacy of childhood peritonitis and many abdominal operations causing diverticulitis). Hairy was assertive, telling the doc we eventually saw that I was fading away in front of his eyes. It is true I did feel very ill.

I was also raced by Hairy to Emergency at 4am a couple of weeks ago with a similar thing, presenting as a suspected heart attack with gastritis, plus left shoulder and back pain. Admitted under observation for 24 hours, during which time, because a diffuse abdominal presentation can be Covid, I had to undergo a Covid test by a spaceman and stay for 3 hours abandonned, quarantined in a separate room till a result came through, with no call button. Hairy was told to go home and self-isolate as he couldn’t stay with me in quarantine. But I’ve just been in bed next to her, he complained to no avail.

Good job it wasn’t CHD, or I could have died unattended. I had to unhook myself from all of the various leads at source, tracing them back to the machine and pulling the plugs out, in order to get up and have a pee. The machine went dead but luckily I didn’t. No-one came. lol. Modern medicine.

34. Dude, a transgender donkey could have got rid of the Lying Slapper.

Fair comment JC.
    But, as Sancho alluded to above, the alternatives to Abbott weren’t necessarily as good as that.

35. My o/s travel kit always has a course of antibiotics included, which I never need. Until the last time, when I left it at home. And then desperately needed them.

Sensible.
    Depending on where your travels take you, you are otherwise facing:

• A protracted process in a public health system. Italy is actually OK, UK NHS doctors’ surgeries also (if you have a UK passport) – but try France, or Ireland;

• Financial rape at a private clinic – potentially recoverable from your travel insurance, provided they’ve been kept in the diagnosis and prescription loop;

• Being treated with ?? 21/3/2007, by someone who doesn’t know what it is either.

36. So the jackpotting question is what will Bogan Barbie do with her concentration camp now that Morrisson has declared moronic to be a nothingburger.
    How will Wagners be compensated for the loss of anticipated income.
    She will of course retain masks and check in as enduring manifestations of her megalomania. That will only end when the level of rejection by the process replicates that aroused by the testing dictates.
    There will be no hange before the election.

37. TE, only 3 outlets covering at present Ch 9, News Corpse and Fairfax. All buried well into the lower parts of the page bar SMH. SMH actually looked on the surface as the most informative, then I hit a log in/paywall type page. Na stuff that.

A Victorian facing the biggest charges. No names yet…

38. How will Wagners be compensated for the loss of anticipated income.

At the expense of making Struth go full Nuff-nuff (Never go full Nuff-nuff. Nuffin good will come of it…), I feel very strongly that the Wagners’ ‘quarantine’ facility was never strictly for that purpose. This Public Elf Emergency measure simply got their planning permissions over the line, and a good serving of taxpayer money from the spigot into the bargain.

There will be plenty of itinerant construction, mining, air, rail and road freight operations folk who will take advantage of the site and its amenities in coming years. Knowing that PN partnered with the Wagners first, I’d expect it to be a book-off location of choice for crews out of Parkes and Brisbane. Ditto ARTC track gangs.

In effect- No loss and net gain.

39. Ed Casesays:
    January 3, 2022 at 10:53 am
    Bear attacks the Liberal Party from the Right, but he’s a Labor Party shill.

If you want to know what a lefty is up to, look at what he accuses his opponents of doing.

40. Top Endersays:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:53 pm
    Four arrests…will be interesting to see their backgrounds…

No doubt the arrests involved dawn raids by the AFP’s Specialist Response Group on garages known to intelligence services.

41. I feel very strongly that the Wagners’ ‘quarantine’ facility was never strictly for that purpose. This Public Elf Emergency measure simply got their planning permissions over the line, and a good serving of taxpayer money from the spigot into the bargain.

Indeed. A nice bit of Bjelke-style dual use corporate welfare.

Wellcamp will be well used as Wagners rolls out Boeing drones, lightweight concrete, pharmaceuticals – and whatever other Toowoomba projects they have in the bag.

42. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am

oh FFS

then why the gibber about being doxxed in a time of national emergency

If I was doxxed by Johanna through her prying into my first husband’s name then as he was well-known as married to me and in some circles it is known that I then married Hairy, this WOULD doxx Hairy.

Sorry you haven’t been able to work that one out.

This is becoming tedious, but once again Lizzie misrepresents me.

Now, these are not handed out like lollipops, so straight away she practically doxxed him – except that the timelines she described didn’t match, because she was lying via the autobiographical projectile vomit that we were subjected to for years. Her ex post facto explanation of her years of lying about the timelines and details of her life, which she provided a vast amount of inaccurate information about, was that it was to ‘protect’ everyone’s privacy.

The simple method of protecting your family’s privacy is not to blab about it endlessly online, but apparently this option was unacceptable or impossible, very likely the latter.

Anyway, I know No. 2’s name because she doxxed him herself by identifying him as the author of comments published elsewhere which he made under his own name. She just couldn’t bear not to tell us all about it, as usual. But I have never mentioned his name here, and nor has anyone else AFAIK.

Finally, I do wish she would stop doing the petulant female thing of pretending to storm off and then peeping over her shoulder to see if anyone is paying attention. ‘I’m really going this time’ is code for ‘you haven’t heard the last from me, by a long shot.’

It’s embarrassing.

43. Re Wagners, add fast rail from Wellcamp/Toowoomba to Brisbane & a new housing development, plus they’re pushing for local Olympics events & facilities.

As Rex suggested, the quarantine facility is going to be well used.

44. What changed from 2020?

Exacerbated hospital staff shortages because C00f.

And not due to mass staff sickness- A lot of them were stood down and sent home for lack of work (No outpatients or short-stay and elective surgery ward closures, etc.), and then more stood down indefinitely (i.e. sacked) because they refused to be Mark-compliant.

Come visit WA for the interesting sights and overpriced beer, Baba. But don’t get sick and stay in hospital. The staff you do have available will go out of their way to care for you, but the system is woefully in need of reforming.

45. H B Bear says:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:22 pm

White pepper is for poofs.

Oi!

You have obviously fallen for the myth, promulgated by TV chefs who need a bit of contrast onscreen and waiters in pretentious restaurants with foot long pepper grinders, that black pepper is superior.

White pepper is stronger and hotter and definitely preferable for everything from Asian dishes to the humble boiled or fried egg. Black pepper has its place (e.g. for steak) but is a relatively crude version of true pepper.

The main problem in Australia is getting a decent quality product. The supermarket variety seems to have been cut with sawdust.

46. Heheh. Bird mistook my comment regarding the contents of his brainspace (which I am currently occupying rent-free, interchangeably with his late father’s hospital staff/anyone who disses him, etc.), for an indictment on his latest dose of magical thinking regarding cacti and feeding it to cattle on the grounds of soil regeneration, etc.

Never change Bird, never change… 🙂

47. Can’t believe I’m missing the pompous old git.

I’m not. Numbers was all loss. We just got his ocd problems.

M0nty was quite funny, sometimes intentionally. But he enjoyed annnoying ppl, and he was less than honest, which let him down when he needed a small amount of trust.

Dover does an even better job than Sinc did. I have decided to forgive him for sneaking Feser’s metaphysical tosh in as liberty quotes. His pictures are great, his tolerance just right (none to Bird) and he has even calmed down JC. I approve the ability to make small donations, the uptick option and the report button. And I disagree with lots of ppl here, so I sure don’t need the return of bloody numbers.

48. Forget about white pepper. Black pepper has piperine. Good stuff, it can enhance the absorption of some nutrients, especially turmeric.

However, adding black pepper can help. Research supports that combining the piperine in black pepper with the curcumin in turmeric enhances curcumin absorption by up to 2,000% (2Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).

Piperine and Its Role in Chronic Diseases

Alkaloids include a family of naturally occurring chemical compounds containing mostly basic nitrogen atoms. Piperine is an alkaloid present in black pepper (Piper nigrum), one of the most widely used spices, in long pepper (Piper longum), and other Piper species fruits belonging to the family of Piperaceae. Piperine is responsible for the black pepper distinct biting quality. Piperine has many pharmacological effects and several health benefits, especially against chronic diseases, such as reduction of insulin-resistance, anti-inflammatory effects, and improvement of hepatic steatosis. The aim of this chapter is to summarize the effects of piperine, alone or in combination with other drugs and phytochemicals, in chronic diseases.

49. But he enjoyed annnoying ppl, and he was less than honest

It also turned out that he was very easily bullied on his own blog by the likes of Steve of Brisbane (aka Stepford, /ht JC) and Homer Paxton.

So any hope that he may have gone more laissez-faire than true fascist, given sufficient time, was very quickly beaten down under the angry gaze and contemptuous disdain of Stepford. Whose own snarling anti-humanism was never more than one bear-poke below the surface…

50. After 70-80 odd years on this earth, the man remains to this day too proud and too stupid to know when he is beaten.

Numbers never bothered to read what has been written in the past twenty years, with access to the North Vietnamese archives.

51. White pepper is stronger and hotter and definitely preferable for everything from Asian dishes to the humble boiled or fried egg.

Serving a boiled egg without salt and white pepper is cruel taunting.

In Brisbane always please consider Geeta Enterprises at McWhirters in the Valley as very reliable pepper supplier, with low price and toppest quality.

52. I don’t miss numbers or monty. I really appreciate Dover’s efforts though. Once again thank you very much Dover. Great blog. Sure beats the vile legacy meja.

53. Woke media asleep to burning irony of insult to democracy at Old Parliament House

Some hundreds of comments a couple of hours ago – since gone down the “memory hole.”

54. Serving a boiled egg without salt and white pepper is cruel taunting.

Nando’s medium or hot Peri-peri sauce is a pretty darn good substitute.

55. After 70-80 odd years on this earth, the man remains to this day too proud and too stupid to know when he is beaten.

Growing up is about doing something stupid, figuring out that it’s stupid, admitting it was stupid and then stopping doing it. Then finding something else stupid to do.

Poor numbers could never get to admitting it was stupid, so he just carried on with the idiotic ideas of his childhood and adolescence. Still, he was great as an awful warning. Beware, Children, if you can’t face up to your own blunders you’ll turn into numbers.

56. Why are our governments insisting on the use of QR code/Passports when they say a “close contact” now is someone you have been in constant contact with for, at least, four hours?

Most people would never spend four hours in the same shop, restaurant or other venues so there is no logical reason to continue with this pantomime.

Jab passport must go

57. Wagners wont lose a cent and in fact would have healthily inflated the construction cost. They did the same when they teamed up with Gautam Adani to try a say a FIFO airstrip with no ATC was going to cost well over $35mil, Townsville & Rocky CC’s were about to chuck in $18mil a piece despite it not being in our LGA’s until us ratepayers went nuts.

They are canny developers that know how to manipulate politicians of low intelligence, take a bow Anna. Queensland seems to have a few of these guys but they are canny enough to cultivate both sides.

As for the Olympics WAFTAM, I truly hope Brisbane doesn’t get it. It will be another black hole sucking the states resources into an area already in excess.

58. Numbers struck me as an old bitter fuck blaming something that happened 20 years ago for the misfortunes of the rest of his life. A bit like claiming to have been sexually assaulted by Prince Andrew when he was only getting a pizza from Pizza Express in Woking. And Porter’s mad bird RIP.

59. Dr Faustussays:

January 3, 2022 at 1:49 pm

White pepper is for poofs.

The lid has come off Hell early in 22.

Dickless Upticking, reverse flouncing, border controls for Australian antibiotics, and now Pepper Prejudice.

Aha!
    Pepper wars!
    I knew we’d flush out a pinko.
    #blackpeppermatters

60. Sancho Panzersays:
    January 3, 2022 at 3:01 pm
    Dr Faustussays:

January 3, 2022 at 1:49 pm

White pepper is for poofs.

The lid has come off Hell early in 22.

Dickless Upticking, reverse flouncing, border controls for Australian antibiotics, and now Pepper Prejudice.

Aha!
    Pepper wars!
    I knew we’d flush out a pinko.
    #blackpeppermatters

You are a pepperist!

61. Thank you dover and thank you bloggers that make this a pleasant place (like me).

Stop it Dover will go bald and grow a goitre like the last one.

62. The blaze engulfed the facade of Old Parliament House in the Canberra suburb of Parkes on Thursday, during a smoking ceremony that is believed to have been hijacked by anti-vaccination protesters.

What was the source, Top Ender, of this monstrous distortion?

Firstly, it was not a ‘smoking ceremony’ by any stretch of the imagination – it was a deliberately lit and fuelled fire. That would be arson, in ordinary English.

Honestly, if you want to remain ignorant, the MSM and social media are a surefire way to bring that about.

63. The definition of “close contact” was carefully drafted with consideration of the length of the queues of cars on the 6pm News. It is stretching The Science to breaking point.

As I previously commented, none of the 10 people WHO ACTUALLY CAUGHT COVID from Dirty Pierre in WA would be a close contact under the definition.

That is the problem with these political diseases.

64. Stop it Dover will go bald and grow a goitre like the last one.

Have you thought of asking Dover for a negative donations button where he pays you?

65. Why are our governments insisting on the use of QR code/Passports when they say a “close contact” now is someone you have been in constant contact with for, at least, four hours?

The answer is one word – “control”.

66. Peter Baldwin, who was famously bashed by crimnal Labor thugs during the 1980’s who opposed his inner-city Sydney Labor Party Branch clean-ups, has written in the Weekend Jan 1-2 Oz an excellent review of the so-called Jan 6 ‘riots’ or as the media call it ‘insurrection’ at Capitol Hill in the US following Trump’s electoral defeat. Those who don’t subscribe to the Oz can find it in an extended version on Peter’s own blog polciv.org. Read it, for it is a keeper. Very well done.

He came to a party at our place with his poor wounded face not long after he was released from hospital. I’d heard that he seems to have moved very much in the direction we and others of that period have taken.
    Over to the Centre-Right.

67. I think you’re optimistic incoherent rambler. The politicians and bureaucrats have enjoyed the power and control they have over the populace and will be very reluctant to give it up.

68. Secondly, what evidence is there of ‘anti vaccination protestors’ being involved? Who are these protestors?

69. incoherent ramblersays:

January 3, 2022 at 3:01 pm

… and also me, I might add.

70. Numbers struck me as an old bitter fuck blaming something that happened 20 years ago for the misfortunes of the rest of his life.

Well, strictly speaking he is correct.

What else would you expect from a radicalised zealot who contributes to the downfall and ultimate failure of his own Cause by actively fighting its practitioners and evangelists and succeeds in doing so?

And then comes home alive and unharmed at the end of it?

71. The answer is one word – “control”.

The other answer is “appearance of control”.

After nearly two years of mind-buggeringly expensive, ad hoc, prevention-at-all-cost strategies, the dickless uptick of Coronavirus is starting to look like the fuckup fairies have taken over.
    Just a little.

72. To be honest, I would be more angry about a working life spent under the control of any of the State Departments of Education than ‘Nam. Fortunately i suffered neither.

73. H B Bearsays:
    January 3, 2022 at 3:26 pm
    When it comes to pepper grinders nobody likes a Size Queen.

It’s all in the twist. Amirite?

Pepper grinders? Is that a new hot gay meet up app?

74. For years, she regaled us with details of her personal life, including her first marriage to an acedemic whom she described as having been awarded a (Sydney) University medal in philosophy.

Described correctly as a double medalist at a time when such things counted a lot, and rather accidentally in a discussion of Aspberger’s syndrome, Johanna, and boy oh boy, didn’t you take that and run with it in your great doxxing spree. A more detailed story of that marriage, in its socio-political context, is available now in Quadrant Jan/Feb 2022 issue. People do write about their lives, Joh, often to make points, sometimes to entertain. Here and elsewhere. You do it yourself. It is something one finds many columnists doing.

Now you’ve ‘traced’ my current husband via Quadrant. Whoopie for you. Clever!!!! You did actually put out his name on the old Cat till Sinc removed it. Doxxing is a sin, remember? Fortunately it is a very common name, hundreds of them on Google, and hard to source where it applies to him. Except through me. Which is one good reason why you will never know the real woman who is Elizabeth Beare and why I took certain steps years ago (alterations of chronology not of facts, which stand as true in all details) to protect my identity; just as Sancho now admits he has done previously to protect his.

Give it away, Johanna. You are better than this I am sure.

75. Dover

Your manliest man to walk the earth. You have an intellect that dwarfs anyone that’s come before and the physique of a Greek god.

I’m truly humbled by ya charity.

76. Fortunately it is a very common name, hundreds of them on Google, and hard to source where it applies to him.

I thought he was a “very public figure”.

77. How sad is BAT FLU getting when the peasantry starts laffin’ at their betters instead of tuggin’ the forelock .. shame, shame, shame!
    *GAICD = for those, like me, who didn’t know .. LOL!
    Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors

78. Is it time to reveal that all peppercorns (white, pink, black) are precisely the same berry/seed at different stages of maturation or slightly different treatments.

Not a lot of people know that.

79. Pre-Covid, I acquired from a customer at the time, a tin pot of Cambodian pepper berries, which I have used judiciously ever since. He was planning to help Cambodian friends develop an agricultural enterprise. Outstanding pepper, full of flavour and depth, utterly fantastic. I often wonder if he got his idea off the ground.

80. The repeated mentions of No. 1’s University Medal (was it one or two she said he got – can’t remember) became a standing joke. How pathetic to trade on a former spouse’s academic achievements, while disparaging him as a husband.

A standing joke? Only with you, Johanna, only with you and your jealous obsession with it.
    As for trading on his achievements – that’s just weird. I was strangely damaged by them, as you can read on Quadrant this month and in that regard had certainly no joy in any ‘trading’ on his achievements in my one mention of them here. I was suggesting in a discussion on autism that a deficit may have existed genetically with him, especially given that we have a child and a grandchild from that child, both of whom are on the autism spectrum. Neither of my children with Hairy display any autistic features. It has been a great sadness in my life that both of my children with my first husband do display autism or bipolar issues, as well as one of the two grandchildren we share diagnosed at Level 2 Autism. Fortunately, I believe that love and understanding care can assist greatly towards a normal life for autism spectrum people. My first husband, still highly intelligent, is now a very private and kindly man, happily remarried, and doesn’t require your attention at all, Johanna.

81. At the risk of being actionable, I think you are going to find that pink pepper only ‘identifies’ as piper nigrum.

Tranny pepper. That’s different.

82. Okay. If we’re going to discuss pepper, surely capers could get a look in.

Those nice, tiny ones preserved in salt. On smoked salmon with a wodge of lemon.

83. Devilled eggs are a much underrated canape too. And healthy. You could live on them.

I draw the line at little things on sticks these days. Too fiddly.

84. In some ancient cultures, when a warrior was killed in battle, other warriors would surround the grave and prod the air with spears to deter demons and spirits from entering and taking over the grave. Today we do the same thing but with an armed honour guard who fire a volley into the air.

[Harim Tok Tok, Vol. 101, December, 2016, p.12].

85. One last word from me on the 409/287.
    None of these people were tested for covid, they just showed covid like symptoms and were excluded.
    Any, all of the 409 that received the vaccine might have been reacting to the vaccine.
    The 287 were clearly all reacting to the placebo.
    It’s a wash.

86. Is it so common a name that no-one would be able to trace an Irish Cambridge graduate with that name who’s about to turn 70 living in Vaucluse with a wife who’d been married before? And who had seven or more years ago worked on a high profile “restructure” which at the time attracted the attention of the “leftist media”?

Possibly not, Mr. Sherlock Neilson.
    It’s all true, although the Irish part was exaggerated concealment.
    Off you go then. Doxx away.

With your staunch legal background you can commence your search via our daughter.
    She is legal too and is a Director at Price-Waterhouse. Or our son, also a lawyer.
    Plenty of clues for you there if doxxing is your obsession.

87. White pepper is very dangerous.

In book 17 of Isidore of Seville’s Etymologies, pepper is said to come from groves of trees in India “guarded” by poisonous serpents. In order to harvest the pepper, the trees have to be burned, driving the snakes away and in the process turning the originally white fruit black. Why the serpents are so devoted to these particular trees is not explained, but linking an exotic product with danger appealed to the imagination, and this story also ingeniously accounted for the fact that pepper is normally black and shriveled (it was vaguely known that a white and smooth variety also existed).

There you go. If you want white pepper you need a bunch of snake charmers on salary.

Spices and Late-Medieval European Ideas of Scarcity and Value (2005)

Sadly the article is a paywalled journal paper, which is a pity since it looks like fun.

88. It’s rather nice in a cream sauce made from the steak grillings.

Splash of brandy, piece of butter, green peppercorns, and crème fraîche.

Eat your boater, bear of little taste.

89. Was the builder Irish? And the doctor?

My doctor is definitely Irish. And extremely unpunctual, although Covid and the strict vaccination regime appears to have cured him. No doubt he will revert to his wicked ways this year.

90. There’s ever only been one famous Welshman and he was only famous for his last words, after downing 13 Triple Gin & Tonics on the trot:

And that, I believe, is the record.

91. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:
    January 3, 2022 at 12:52 pm
    Very interesting video from central Queensland, see RickW’s link above,

A slight geographical correction for those not from Qld who might be misled by the description.

Capalaba, where this took place, is a suburb of Brisbane, although more “Bayside” than Brisbane itself. It’s not in central Queensland; actually about 500km south of where CQ begins.

There’s rather a lot of Qld to get through after Brisbane before you get to the central bit, let alone North Qld, or that far-flung mythological paradise of Far North Qld (crocodiles, marine stingers, big spiders, cyclones etc.)

It’s a bit like city-centric media calling Dalby (maybe 2 whole hours drive from Brisbane) the “outback”.

A very interesting video indeed though!

92. Clearly, I would prefer it that Hairy’s name had not been bandied about on Sinc’s blog by Johanna.

But it was, and I guess it matters less now as he is no longer in a public position where a Centre-Right association via me could have made his work far more difficult to carry out, almost impossible in fact. He was very tolerant to put up with my blogging at that time, aware that it was bringing out the latent writer in me (marriage is give and take). He is less tolerant of me here now though and I can hardly blame him given how much defense I feel bound to mount.

93. Sounds like a rehash of the Reichstag Fire, must be time to start rounding up the lepers.

As soon as I saw the link to anti vaxers my first thought was, hmm distraction squirrel while we bury this deep in dispatches.

94. Some folks are dedicated.

I will never get to that stage- Too busy spreading my time between the 1:1 scale that pays my wages, the 3 1:1 scale layouts that I do for fun, and the Sn3.5 scale* I somehow found my way into in the meantime… 🙂

*Sn3.5 for modelling transition-era WAGR is pretty good- Non-metropolitan areas were pretty sparsely populated and light on built-up areas and infrastructure, yet fairly close together. Even on the main lines in the Wheatbelt and Southwest. Quite modelling-friendly, if you pick your areas right.

95. Plenty of clues for you there if doxxing is your obsession.

My obsession?

Let’s face it Lizzie, your supposed concern about the “doxxing” of the husband who you say is a “very public figure” is utter bullshit. As Johanna said, The simple method of protecting your family’s privacy is not to blab about it endlessly online, , but you’ve spent the last decade or thereabouts on this site and the old one actually doxxing him (as Johanna pointed out) and in any case providing so many reams of biographical detail that it would be almost impossible for someone not to know who it was if they ever saw any public reference to him.

And, as you’ve failed to answer before, why would the “leftist media” care if they did identify that you, his wife, and presumably known as such under your real name, had an online pseudonym?

“News flash: we can report exclusively that the wife of VERY PUBLIC FIGURE [Hairy] is the tiresome conceited self-absorbed wannabe-pretentious relentlessly incessant online showboater “Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare”.

Answer: no-one could possibly care. Your whole “OMG Hairy might get doxxed” schtick is transparently nothing but megalomaniac fantasy emanating from your own vast sense of self-importance.

96. Ed Casesays:
    January 3, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Billy Hughes died of a surfeit of G & Ts?

And what about David Lloyd George? Not famous?

97. Capalaba- there’s a top Fish & Chippers there on Old Cleveland road before the McDonalds,
    terrific view from the top of Birkdale Tip of Moreton Bay and the Bay Islands, drive in and so long as weight is unchanged, drive out and it costs nothing.

98. Was the builder Irish? And the doctor?

Definitely those were Irish, Calli. Gorgeously linguistically so, both of them.

I love the Irish and would go back to Ireland in a heartbeat. Hairy spent some very formative time there with his first love, so he loves it too. We are Irish in spirit and heart. Plus my grandma was Welsh, who anciently are an Irish mix, and such a lovely lilting accent she and my mother and aunts all had.

99. The Numbers creature doesn’t deserve any degree of serious analysis, and certainly no justification.
    Weak, cowardly, schoolyard crybully, paranoid attention seeking, blame seeking, arrogant without any justification, jealous, Rsole. Boring little prick.
    His Vietnam babble was a manifestation of his lunacy, not a cause.
    It must have been great entertainment watching the clown interacting with his fellow diggers in the Company boozer. That would no doubt have left some psychological scars.
    The blog is exponentially superior intellectually and socially without his constant commie victim crap.

100. I can see why that would be embarrassing for him, but why would the “leftist media” actually care?

Because, darling, he was kneecapping some of their faves.

101. There’s ever only been one famous Welshman

Grigory is a bit useless when it comes to fame.

Tom Jones, Sir Harry Secombe, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Her Majesty’s manifold Men of Harlech by Corps, Regiment, Brigade and Division would like to know your location…

102. Billy Hughes was a Londoner, Lloyd George was a professional Welshman.
    Now go away.

Fantasist.

103. Capalaba, where this took place, is a suburb of Brisbane…

Distinguished by having one outlet from every fast food chain. And by being on the road to somewhere better – both ways.

104. Oh, and thanx for the character reference.

Writers gotta write.

Guess you don’t feel that impulse and put it into your twerpishness here instead.
    Your choice. You aren’t exactly covered with glory yourself, sweetie.

105. He thrived on abuse which he interpreted as proof of an ongoing conspiracy against his righteousness.

Sure you’re not getting confused with the itinerant Avian there, Bons? 😉

106. I don’t reckon Bob would have been too tall a poppy. Happy to be corrected by Kev or one of Bob’s other sparring partners but when mentioned to my late father who also spent time at the Horseshoe, dad frankly couldn’t remember him.

107. Actually Bons, you are correct. Numbers (aka Collaborator Bob) would weeble back up every morning with another tired leftist meme, where Bird can be aggravated to the point of exiling himself..

108. Speaking of Lizzie, Grigory M summed the situation up in one word a few years back:

Fantasist.

Nice to see Grigs was as much a projecting stooge then as he is now…

109. Distinguished by having one outlet from every fast food chain.

Misspent youth recollections. A friend grew up in Capalaba, he liked to tell the story of the sunken skip at the back of Chunky Chicken used as a grease and offal trap. Apparently (according to him and quite possibly apocryphally) it also served as the dumping ground for someone that had been shot in the backside with a shotgun and then, as a final indignity, disposed of face first into the giblets. The guy would never shut up about it, he had history with magic mushrooms.

I never visited the place but it was not that flash.

110. Because, darling, he was kneecapping some of their faves.

Yes, I can understand why they’d care about him if he’s a “very public figure”, but why the flying duck would they care about you?
    Seriously, don’t you think that you’re overestimating your own importance by a few orders of magnitude?

111. Bruce of Newcastle says:
    January 3, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Spices and Late-Medieval European Ideas of Scarcity and Value (2005)

Full article at the link

112. Bear

Is zeta- Jones on the crazy side of the spectrum – like she’s well known for it? You have to discount that all sheilas are a little bit crazy. Is she past the little bit too?

113. Lizzie

Thanks for the link to Peter Baldwin’s blog earlier. Very interesting reading.

He joins other former ALP luminaries, including Mark Latham and Gary Johns, in being awakened (but not “woke”) to the stupidity of much of contemporary leftism. Much of the modern left has now openly embraced fascism.

114. How did I forget Neil Kinnock, the Welsh Wizard?
    His claim to fame is that Brandon plagiarised a Speech of his during the 1988 Primary season.
    An Irishman went to Cambridge, eh?
    Shoulda smelt a rat.

115. Youse guys wander in here, whip out your pepper shakers and start waving them around.
    It is quite menacing.

I would have thought the cries of “C’orn, then!” followed by the sounds of violent grinding would have been enough to leave one quite shaken up…

116. If your into WW2 fiction I’ve just finished a very readable novel .. The Devil’s Handshake by Murray Davies .. reminiscent of The Eagle has Landed except this is a British attempt to asassinate Hitler .. well done story with all the characters & plotline(s) very well backgrounded .. probably, a bit far fetched plot-wise on the literary coincidence side of things falling into place but no worse than a lot of novels when never-happen-in-real-life coincidental events plays a lead role …….

117. JC I’ve never met her, she might be lovely. The Welsh do enjoy a certain reputation. A mate married a Welsh girl. That turned out to be very expensive.

118. My doctor is definitely Irish. And extremely unpunctual …

Soooo.
    We can narrow it down by eliminating that well known Irish physician Dr O’Clock then?

119. How did I forget Neil Kinnock, the Welsh Wizard?

Because you’re stupid, contentious, invidious, incompetent and a walking advertisement to children everywhere of the dangers of gypsum addiction.

120. Ed Casesays:
    January 3, 2022 at 4:43 pm
    Billy Hughes was a Londoner, Lloyd George was a professional Welshman.
    Now go away.

1. Ah, the old “No true Welshman” line. Sad, low energy.

2. No.

121. Come on guys. Timmy’s still only at eight dickless upticks up there.
    You can do better than that. Time for a little ‘fortifying’.

Why let the US Dems beat you at that game?
    UP the fortifying dial to eleventy at least.

122. The day will eventually come, when someone posts a brief comment about a suburb, town, event, obscure village abandoned 70yrs ago, for which Ed Case does not have a personal ‘insider knowledge’ anecdote.

Y’all keep reading the Cat, one of these days it will happen.

123. Happy Birthday I believe, shatterzzz?
    Tis, indeed .. tho went low key after overdoing it last week .. normally, since I turning 65, I knock over a 1500mts as my burfday treat just to let myself know I still can but today discretion got the better of valour and I settled for my, usual, 2 hours bike ride and a, leisurely, 500 metres (10 laps) ..
    I’ll deal with the 1500mts later in the week when the memory of how I felt yesterday has receded further into memory .. LOL!

124. Dr O’Clock

I like it. That’s going to stick now.

He’s a really good bloke, but was born without a sense of the passing of time. The Beloved’s late brother was like that too. Clever guy, top of his field and gone way too soon. Last year was an absolute bugger.

He has left a hole in our hearts as big as a house.

125. Driller
    Speak to Ed directly. As we don’t require a sermon from you. That forms part of the armistice. Follow the fucking rules shithead. We don’t require the lectures.

126. but why the flying duck would they care about you?

Pillow talk, angel cheeks.

Just look at Boris and Carrie.

More to the point, they would like anyone in his job to be fully inside the tent.
    Clearly, he was not, and even worse would be if they could finger me for it too.

The way that Peter Ridd was forbidden from talking to his wife about his case shows how dangerous a wife can be in the minds of some.

127. callisays:

January 3, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Dr O’Clock

I like it. That’s going to stick now.

Perspective.
    I used to get pissed off with our Dr Late.
    How can I make the first or second appointment of the morning and he still be half an hour late?
    Until something happened one day to change all that. He called me one morning at 7:45 and told me to get in there right away. He spent an hour lining me up for tests and hospital admission.
    So now when he is running late for my routine appointment I thank Christ I am not the poor bastard who is in dire straits and got jumped up in the queue that day.

128. Clearly, he was not,
    OK
    and even worse would be if they could finger me for it too.
    ? So he’s already “clearly” not wholly in the tent, but you still think they’d regard it as a great coup to discover something similar about you?
    Yes, the media does sometimes quote a family member of some politician in an attempt to embarrass them, but that’s when they’re bagging the public figure, not when they’re ad idem, and even then when has it not blown over in 24 hours?
    You’re really sure you’re not overestimating your own importance by a few orders of magnitude?

129. One last word from me on the 409/287.
    The 287 were clearly all reacting to the placebo.
    It’s a wash.

Why were they not tested? There was something like 3400 cases of suspected COVID in the trial that never led to a PCR. Why is that? Further, what makes you say they were excluded? Nothing in the relevant paragraph suggests that. It does however indicate that they did not regard these suspected COVID cases as indicative of an adverse event. It also seems rather convenient to allay any question about the imbalance between the vax and placebo group as simply a mild reaction to the vaccine.
    And, again, the Danish and Swedish studies found the same uptick in COVID infections following vaccination, so the Pfizer result is not unusual.

130. To be fair to Tony Abbott, if you can’t afford $7 to go to the Quack, the prognosis is hopeless.
    But was it one of his notorious Captain’s Calls?

I’d say yes, because how was the $7 sposed to be collected?

131. Fuckin’ Jeezus.

Chemist Warehouse, BigW and all the rest are selling the RightSign COVID-19 test kits. Two guesses where they are made. From the product insert.

Manufactured by: Hangzhou Biotest Biotech Co.,Ltd.
    No.17, Futai Road, Zhongtai Street, Yuhang District, Hangzhou, P.R. China

Expensive and no doubt inaccurate.

132. To be fair to Tony Abbott, if you can’t afford $7 to go to the Quack, the prognosis is hopeless.
    But was it one of his notorious Captain’s Calls?

No, It was more to do with this,
    “Mr Morrison said Australia was now at a stage of the pandemic where not everything could be made free.”

133. cavemansays:

January 3, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Just on Mr Abbott, remember when he suggested the co payment of $7 (?) Medicare and how he was howled down.

I was thinking about that the other day caveperson.
    Some of the very same people who declared a means-tested $7 contribution to be the end of the civilised world, are now blithely suggesting that a policy of cutting the unvaxxed off from all medical treatment is totes OK.

134. It’s all Kabuki now.

We know it. They know it. They know that we know it. It’s only the stubborn dumbos who are clinging to their raft of the fear-dusa rather than admit they were gamed.

The covid profiteering is almost at an end.

135. Thanks Caveman.
    It appears that Scotty has fallen into the same trap then, the mistake Fraser made when he declared:

“Life wasn’t meant to be easy.”

136. Hairy and I both worked with Peter Baldwin and the Labor Party in the inner-west at this time.

Of course he did.

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me … infinity

Is there no notable event that does not involve her?

BTW, how did you manage downgrading from a University Medallist on a public stipend to a mere businessman with lots of dosh?

Inquiring minds etc.

137. Zipster says:
    January 3, 2022 at 4:10 pm

They Found Peng Shuai and it’s Disturbing
    laowhy86

Thanks Zipster, she does look scared.

Who is Iaowhy86, isn’t that Serpentza’s mate?

138. The Honourable Member for Barthelona would like to make a statement to the House:-

As an avid reader of the old Sinc blog, I have no memory of ever having seen an unmasking of Hairy O’Thingo.
    Who knows?
    It might have happened but I certainly didn’t see it.
    Furthermore, you would need the Large Hadron Collider particle measurer to detect how little I care.
    And for anyone who does care to go back and find out, they would have to wade through the world’s clunkiest internet archive to find something that they don’t know how to search for. Because if they knew the search term, they wouldn’t need to search for it.
    It would be quicker to ring every number in the Sydney white pages and say “Is Lizzie there?”

139. Musing on Malcolm Fraser, remember how his PR [Alan Jones] sold him as a Lancia driving Patrician?
    That went down well.
    Musta sold plenty of Lancias:
    “Yes, Mr Salesman, I’d like to be just like Malcolm Fraser.”
    Anyhow, is Lancia still in business?

140. At the risk of being sucked into the abyss without the appropriate PPE, may I opine that this present ‘stoush’ has become somewhat tedious?

My peripheral understanding is that intentionally revealing the personal details of a commenter (information of a quality and quantity that would allow a reasonable person to identify with clarity, that same commenter in real life), without that commenter’s prior approval, is frowned upon; the expectation being that the so-called ‘doxxer’ would be either warned or banned by the blog owner.

The question then becomes: Has ‘Lizzie’s’ identity been substantially revealed here at DoverCat? If it has, has the blog owner adequately (a subjective term, I know) responded?
    If the same individual has NOT had their personal details revealed here, why is the issue still being discussed? Hasn’t this conversation been ongoing since July of 1852?

141. The question then becomes: Has ‘Lizzie’s’ identity been substantially revealed here at DoverCat?

Muddy.
    I think the stoush relates to an alleged “outing” at the now defunct Sinc-Cat.
    So it is a bit academic because it would be easier to find the Beaumont children than un-earth a specific old post from Sinc-Cat.
    I think the whole thing was triggered by another allegation that “Nick” accused Mr and Mrs Lizzie of breaching quarantine protocol in early 2020.
    Something else I have no recollection of either, and is equally unverifiable either way.

142. It’s currently 14 degs C in Cairo. I thought I’d throw out there for discussion as it’s more interesting than the current stoush, which is so freaking gay.

143. Joh and Lizzie have been giving each other stick since an intrepid creature decided that the outside of the pond looked more exciting than the inside.

It took its first gulp of oxygen and it was off and racing!

We are but mere observers of something way beyond our ken.