1,907 thoughts on “Open Thread – Tues 19 April 2022”

1. I put myself forward for UAP as well.
    I failed.
    Wrong sex, probably look a bit rough around the edges, who knows.

They already had Jackie Jacqui on the books. Probably still do…

2. Sorry – not a “Business Centre” on top of The Heap.

It’s a Visitor Centre and the Line of Lode Memorial that stands out against the sky.

I hope Cats enjoy something positive and non-covid.

3. calli says:
    April 21, 2022 at 5:32 pm
    Now on Central Australia time at Broken Hill.

Enjoy Calli.

4. Haven’t scrolled back.. but..

bespokesays:
    April 21, 2022 at 1:09 pm
    thefrollickingmolesays:

April 21, 2022 at 11:59 am

The point is that the UAP look no different then the Lib/Lab’s.
    How is this going to change the directions of the major parties?

You assume it can be fixed.
    Im going for crashing the plane with no survivors at this stage.

A hard reset is all that left.

5. With the engorgement of the Government Leech on the economy, a Trillion dollar deficit, whores for invalids and having to import people of dubious character because our youngsters are too heavily taxed to afford their own kids, but aren’t so heavily taxed they have to support other cultures kids…

Nailed it.

6. Australia now has a ‘serious national security problem’ with fuel supply, as report warns we only have 68 days of reserves

Discussed on the Cat for as long as I’ve been here.

7. Australia now has a ‘serious national security problem’ with fuel supply, as report warns we only have 68 days of reserves

Melbourne Airport in 2019 effectively had 7-14 days cover depending on the supply chain inventory cover.

8. Lastly..

Just how rooted is NZudland??

Well done donkey chompers, you have inflated your people to the extent they would rather cook the planet than shop local…

Tins of spaghetti, soap, pasta shells and raw almonds: purchases more commonly carted into New Zealand homes by shopping trolleys and car boots than jetted on international flights. But as prices hit new highs, shoppers are taking drastic measures – including ordering groceries for delivery from Australia.

“It’s almost like Christmas,” said Belinda*, a Wellington woman who said she now regularly ordered groceries online from across the Tasman to supplement her local shopping. Browsing Australian groceries, she said, she was startled by the range of products and how much cheaper they were than those stocking New Zealand shelves.

The Guardian compared two shopping carts compiled by Belinda – one from an Australia-based multinational which delivered to New Zealand, the second to have the same items delivered by one of New Zealand’s largest supermarket chains. In total, even with the currency conversion, cost of GST and a small customs fee, she saved almost NZ$70 (AU$64) on a $267 shop – or about $80 including the local supermarket’s delivery charge. “The only ??downside also is that a lot of things are currently unavailable because of stock issues. But I think that’s because everybody started to do it,” she said.

Im sure Adern will look deeply into her heart and make the right decision.

And ban overseas ordering… for the children.

9. Someone has to stay home tomorrow morning for the NBN/Foxtel man (person?) to come and tell us why we are cut off and why I am reduced to hotspotting here.

However, tomorrow we both had an appointment with our skin doc for our yearly check-over in our undies. We usually go together and make it a social occasion, for our doc likes to chat away for a while with likely customers.

Your need is greater than mine, I say sweetly to mine Man (German for husband, which I find amusing). I cancel out in favour of NBN/Foxtel. Tomorrow I will draw little texta circles around any mark or bump on mine Man that I regard as needing a check, which doc finds helpful. Makes an interesting dot painting. Don’t need to do it for me, as I have very few and I know where they are. 🙂

10. she saved almost NZ$70 (AU$64) on a $267 shop – or about $80 including the local supermarket’s delivery charge.

The cuzzy bro’s will be calling on their relatives in OZ big time!

11. My wife and daughter were in the same area last week. Loved the lakes and the country that’s been replenished by recent big rains.

Speaking of which, your neck of the woods has sprung to life.
    Plenty of activity in paddocks.

Was through late this arvo.

12. On the Covid madness – painted on a fence at Wilcannia – mask on or move on. So we did.

As would we, and no doubt many others. No way to attract the tourist spending dollar.

13. Morrison apologising to all and sundry for saying that he and Jenny feel blessed that their children don’t have any physical disabilities. Grow a pair Scotty. We all feel that way; or are there people out there who think their child’s disability is a blessing?

14. St Jacinda is so kind she prevented me from seeing my Dad before he passed away. For extra kindness, Dad also missed seeing his new born grandson.

15. Placed an order for a Tesla. A year ago you would had to pry the keys out of my cold dead fingers to get me to part with my car.

Golly, Zipster. You don’t think electrickery might be a bit of an issue during the coming brownouts?

16. Burnt Stump

It says a lot for how civilized people generally are that a lot of these turds are still on the sunny side of the sod.

How she hasnt been suddenly and viciously been the victim of a alcohol and animal husbandry related accident Ill never know.

17. St Jacinda is so kind she prevented me from seeing my Dad before he passed away. For extra kindness, Dad also missed seeing his new born grandson.

Winston Peters’s gift to the world.

18. The Dying Citizen | Victor Davis Hanson | #CLIP
    John Anderson
    164K subscribers

Historian Victorian Davis Hanson speaks about a concept in his book, The Dying Citizen; explaining the consequences of citizens losing their individual power in society. He describes how lines are being blurred between citizens and residents, leading to tribalisation, abolishment of the middle class, and an increased reliance on the state.

View the full episode here: https://youtu.be/vFRsMs4Ltxw

19. You should see the price of their petrol.
    Not to mention houses in Auckland.

This would be that ‘reduced cost of living’ that happens once ‘Capitalist Greed’ is removed from the pricing of necessities.

20. Roger I know- I was considering working in Auckland and looking at for sale/for lease there was a truly depressing exercise. It was then that I understood why so many Kiwis are over here. So many seem to love it here too which is great. Seems like the NZ establishment want to turn the place into a playground for the rich and fatuous.

21. Or do you have one of those little diesel generators handily stored in the boot, and a bigger one at home?

I suspect we will still have lpg. will also get lpg generators.

22. Dave Sharma and Allegra Spender debating on Sky this afternoon. Both in furious agreement on just about everything. Sharma in summing up even tried to say that he was an independent but kind of choked on his words, converted to saying an independent thinker and admitted that he might have some slight connection to some people who may or may not be in the Liberal party; but definitely not Barnaby Joyce, whoever he is. Good luck to the people of Wentworth- I think it’s called a hiding to nothing.

23. Struthsays:
    April 21, 2022 at 5:29 pm
    Hey KD.
    I put myself forward for UAP as well.
    I failed.
    Wrong sex, probably look a bit rough around the edges, who knows.

LOL!

The roo skin vest?

24. OldOzzie says:
    April 21, 2022 at 11:03 am

If Australia needed to access US-based fuel reserves, the fuel would take around three weeks to get to Australia, the report states.

Wasn’t Australia’s US-based fuel reserves handed over to the US recently to assist in cutting their fuel costs? Biden also released their own fuel reserves to allay concerns about increasing fuel costs in the US. I don’t know how much we had over there but it doubt that it would have made any impact on their total daily fuel usage.

Why on earth do we keep our reserves overseas?

25. Roger I know- I was considering working in Auckland and looking at for sale/for lease there was a truly depressing exercise.

I know a professional couple who had to buy in Henderson.

One of the better streets and areas, to be sure, and they have a nice house, but they still had to take in a boarder to make ends meet.

26. Wasn’t Australia’s US-based fuel reserves handed over to the US recently to assist in cutting their fuel costs?

Only a portion thereof; not a significant amount in the overall picture.

Why on earth do we keep our reserves overseas?

Because we are deeply mired in fuckwittery.

27. From “The Age.”

Ben Roberts-Smith and his friend face three more murder allegations, court hears
    Michaela Whitbourn
    By Michaela Whitbourn
    Updated April 21, 2022 — 6.29pmfirst published at 2.00pm

A friend and former comrade of war veteran Ben Roberts-Smith has admitted that a group of soldiers led by the pair in Afghanistan face a total of five murder allegations, including three first aired publicly on Thursday.

Person 5, a former Special Air Service soldier, served alongside Roberts-Smith in Afghanistan and is the first SAS witness to give evidence for the decorated former soldier in his marathon defamation case against The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Canberra Times.

Roberts-Smith alleges a series of articles by the newspapers in 2018 wrongly accuse him of war crimes. The Age and the Herald, owned by Nine, and The Canberra Times, now under separate ownership, are seeking to rely on a defence of truth.

Under cross-examination by the newspapers’ barrister, Nicholas Owens, SC, Person 5 agreed on Thursday that a total of five murder allegations had been made against a patrol he commanded with Roberts-Smith as his second-in-charge, including two at a compound known as Whiskey 108 in 2009.

Both of the Whiskey 108 allegations, denied by Roberts-Smith and Person 5, form part of the newspapers’ defence.

Person 5 admitted he was aware of three further murder allegations made against him and Roberts-Smith relating to their service in Afghanistan in 2010. Those allegations do not form part of the newspapers’ defence.

The Federal Court heard the three allegations, the source of which was not confirmed in court, related to a mission to a compound in Afghanistan known as Whiskey 591 on May 14, 2010.

Person 5 agreed he was aware of allegations that he and Roberts-Smith had “blooded” two soldiers, dubbed Persons 8 and 32, by having them kill Afghan prisoners during that mission. The court has previously heard the term “blooding” referred to a soldier’s first kill.

“We don’t blood people; I thought I made that perfectly clear,” Person 5 said.

He said he was also aware of an allegation that Roberts-Smith killed a third prisoner during that mission. Under the rules of engagement that bound the SAS, it was unlawful to kill an unarmed prisoner.

Roberts-Smith has insisted any killings were carried out lawfully in the heat of battle.

Asked by Owens if he agreed “that there is a risk that in the future you may be prosecuted for those three [alleged] murders” in 2010, Person 5 said: “Maybe.”

The newspapers allege Roberts-Smith directed a subordinate, Person 4, to execute an unarmed Afghan man in April 2009 at Whiskey 108, and that Person 5 officially gave that order as the men’s troop commander. Both Roberts-Smith and Person 5 deny the alleged events took place.

Person 5 said the alleged killing at Whiskey 108 “didn’t happen” and there was “no risk” he would be tried for the war crime of murder for giving such an order.

28. Good luck to the people of Wentworth- I think it’s called a hiding to nothing.

Dave Sharma will get the loss of support that he deserves, and I hope like hell that the vacuous Stepford Candidate Allegra Spender gets trounced. Daniel Lewkovich is the LDP candidate and has a very good track record in business. He’s the man for us and we hope many others. A number of the major mansions on heartbreak hill overlooking the harbour towards the CBD have Allegra’s pic up in windows; these places are worth anything from ten to sixty million or more. A lot of ruinables subsidy money floating around there? Email from Daniel’s campaign today said lots of Wentworth people are saying they are glad they have someone good to vote for to send a message to the Libs. They seek campaign workers, but sadly we are off in 5 days now to the UK so can’t assist – otherwise we would put a lot of time to it. Can’t vote till papers are printed either, so we might have to rock up to Australia House in London and do it there.

29. I think 68 is VERY generous. Of course inventory levels aren’t so material if you can manufacture….

Yep, I was told by someone in the know a year ago it was 21 days INCLUDING in tankers in transit. 7 days onshore.

30. H B Bear says:
    April 21, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Don’t need any advice to keep moving at Wilcannia, if you car hasn’t been stolen in the meantime.

I stayed there overnight once many years ago. Driving from Sydney back to Perth, I got to Wilcannia early evening and decided to stay overnight rather than driving on into the night. I pulled into a motel just on the western side of the Darling, and the manager seemed to be surprised that someone came.

He gave me a room at the far end of the quadrangle and suggested that I park my car right up next to the window. As I was the only patron there I understood the implications of his advice.

I slept well and wasn’t disturbed. Early in the morning I returned the key and the manager was still sitting at the reception desk, he looked really tired, poor bugger, I wouldn’t be surprised to know that he sat up all night keeping an watch on the premises.

31. For those who live in Dan’s dictatorship, feel free to tell Vicpol how you really feel. I may have put a response somewhere in there that I don’t trust them any more, as they have demonstrated over the last couple of years they’re little other than the political enforcers of the Labor party.
    My 5/5 satisfied sliding scales may be heavily weighted with sarcasm, or a belief it’s not really anonymous.

32. Dr. Bossche’s latest prediction, mild Omicron + ADE – COVID-19 vaccines update 39
    New theory of Dr. Bossche explains why the Omicron is surprisingly milder while becoming more infectious which leads him to also predict future outcomes of the pandemic for vaccinated and unvaccinated communities. Central to the new theory is antibody-dependent enhancement and capture of virus by sugar molecules by immune cells. Find out how the Omicron might have become such an unusual variant that rapidly took over the world due to its incredible infectivity while accidentally making the virus less dangerous for the majority of those who become infected.

33. Captain Obvious moment.

Blot is a pompous flog. His style of leading questions to ‘guests’ reminds me of Mike Moore on the D-Gen’s Frontline:

‘Would you describe this as a national disgrace?’

He also manages to say nothing himself.

34. A ha hahaha. From unnamed red shoe tunnel sites:

Our information has been confirmed. The journalist was killed

Shortly thereafter:

I have no direct evidence that Gonzalo has been killed.

Walking among us.

35. Rogersays:
    April 21, 2022 at 7:24 pm

Best not to include your name & addess though.

It is supposedly anonymous, but if someone wants to know badly enough it’s very hard to hide.

36. Obituary in the “Times” – one of the veterans of the Long Range Desert Group – North Africa, Wobbly Wobbly Two – has gone to God, aged 100. New Zealanders and Rhodesians joined the LRDG, but a commenter claims that Blamey wouldn’t let Australians join. Any Cats know anything about that? First I’ve heard.

37. On Albanese’s Positive Test:
    Why would you take the test during the most important weeks of your life unless it had been planned beforehand?
    I think the demand from Labor will be that Scotty takes a week off too.
    That could cause problems if Frydenberg acts as the surrogate for Scotty and Jim Chalmers represents Labor

38. Andrew Bolt asking some US hire-a-general expert why – WHY! – isn’t Germany sending St Zelensky “heavy weapons”!!

The general says Zelensky has given “us” the opportunity to “crush the Russian army.”

39. St Jacinda is so kind she prevented me from seeing my Dad before he passed away. For extra kindness, Dad also missed seeing his new born grandson.

Fuck these fucking arseholes. Never forget.

40. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Bearesays:
    April 21, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Lizzie, it’s Wilcannia, the tourist dollar doesn’t routinely stop there!

41. Thank you Bluey.

I advised I didn’t feel safe and suggested a Royal commission into senior command response to COVID.

42. Not Uh ohsays:
    April 21, 2022 at 6:48 pm
    Oops, Albo in isolation wth the wuflu.

Party internal polling says “Get him off the TV and out of the papers”?

43. Speaking of which, your neck of the woods has sprung to life.
    Plenty of activity in paddocks.

The booms will be rolling mid next week.
    Wonderful to have moisture and the chance of a nice weed cleanup.
    Paraquat and Butafenacil is the plan.

44. Anchor Whatsays:
    April 21, 2022 at 7:08 pm
    Albo in isolation with the wuflu?
    Gone to the basement!
    Meanwhile, deviants hate Deves.

Dick Ed hates Deves.

Just sayin’.

45. Re Mariupol: If the Azov nazi fucks are hiding in tunnels there must be ventilation. Find vents, pour in petrol followed by incendiary grenades. Not a place I’d want to hide in.

46. Chalmers is a nice person who genuinely believes that transitioning to NetZero will save the planet.

47. Speaking of which, your neck of the woods has sprung to life.
    Plenty of activity in paddocks.

The mob round here, are burning their stubble – they’ve never heard of minimum till or stubble retention…..

48. Chalmers is a smirking dickhead who would be a complete disaster as Treasurer. He’d make Wayne Swan look good.

Already tried that. Reports were mixed.

49. Yuge year for vegetative growth, ZK2A. In the bush and the paddock.
    Also stock shortage- or at least ridiculous sheep oprices- has left plenty of grass uneaten.

50. New Zealanders and Rhodesians joined the LRDG, but a commenter claims that Blamey wouldn’t let Australians join. Any Cats know anything about that? First I’ve heard.

I knew there weren’t many (if any) Australians in the LRDG. Never had any idea why.

51. Deves Latest!
    Katherine has completely deleted her Twitter A/C.
    Among the gems:
    Transvestites are more likely to be Serial Killers
    Ted Bundy pretended to be TransAbled to lure victims

and interestingly
    Women must be segregated from men to ensure their safety.
    Total.Fruit.Loop.
    Most generous explanation?
    She’s a Labor/Libertarian plant.

52. How deep is the fucking communism in Victoria?

Some fucking mentally retarded beta has made a UAP punching bag and hung it from the Victoria Park station railway bridge.

Note that the two protective service officers at the station were the same ones present on my inbound trip, so those cock smoking beta’s must have watched it get put up.

Fuck Victoria!

53. The alphabet soup lobby and the GayBC hyperventilating with outrage at the mayor of Wimmera supposedly linking homosexuality and p3d0filia:

Very well. How about the NSW having a royal commission and police task force on the unfinished business of who were the pimps and clients at the boy brothels at Castellos, Porky’s, the Wall, etc etc? Readers who know their history will recall that the Wood royal commission, having done sterling work on this, came to a shuddering halt when a disbarred lawyer began to talk about politicians, judges and lawyers frequenting the beats.

54. Find vents, pour in petrol followed by incendiary grenades. Not a place I’d want to hide in.</em
    They're holding women and children as hostages.

55. There are only two reasons to stop in Wilcannia.

Loos.

Also some beautiful old colonial sandstone buildings worth a photo.

The Darling was running high and strong today. What a difference to a few years ago when it was a series of pools.

56. Exactly right about not giving your name and address if you give feedback on VicStasi’s performance.

Shades of Mao’s Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom – that is, let them bloom so that we can identify them and cut them down.

57. H B Bearsays:
    April 21, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Yep 4Wd across Oz with Irish Ex-Chairman from UK, having arrived via Tilpa Road stopped in Wilcannia at Wilcannia Road House as evening fell with rain falling heading to White Cliffs, stopped to refuel and said to Service Station owner thinking of stopping for the night – He said keep going, so we sllp, sled our way to White Cliffs over the 94Km to our underground motel

58. Zulu Kilo Two Alphasays:
    April 21, 2022 at 8:22 pm
    Or you ran over someone passed out on the road?

Too true to be funny.

59. H B Bearsays:
    April 21, 2022 at 6:34 pm

It was explained to me that Wilcannia’s problems were due to the policy of ignorant Government officials, using the town as a dumping ground, for Aborigines of different tribes, who didn’t get along…

60. Mass vaccination has profoundly disturbed the capacity of the host to control transmission and spread of the virus by shifting the host’s most powerful (i.e., conferring sterilizing immunity) and natural line of immune defense against CoV towards a vaccine-induced immune response that is not sterilizing and, therefore, cannot generate herd immunity and thus, cannot control the virus. This prevents virus-host interactions from establishing a well-balanced viral host ecosystem that ensures viral persistence in a healthy population. In case of a pandemic of an acute self- limiting infection, herd immunity is an absolute prerequisite for ending the pandemic phase and driving the virus into endemicity. However, this state of sound equilibrium between the host and the virus cannot be achieved for as long as the host population massively launches non-sterilizing immune attacks to fight the virus.

61. Salvatore, Understaffed & Overworked Martyr to Govt Covid Stupiditysays:
    April 21, 2022 at 8:09 pm

62. I did, at one point, know someone who’s girlfriend did that. She didn’t handle it well, being a middle class white girl.

Company bloke did it in a B Double. Piecing together the evidence must have been “difficult”.

63. natural line of immune defense against CoV towards a vaccine-induced immune response that is not sterilizing and, therefore, cannot generate herd immunity and thus, cannot control the virus. This prevents virus-host interactions from establishing a well-balanced viral host ecosystem that ensures viral persistence in a healthy population.

The fucking smartest experts at work….

64. Armadillosays:
    April 21, 2022 at 8:09 pm
    There are only two reasons to stop in Wilcannia.

Your car has broken down or you need to stop for fuel.

We stopped there for fuel on the way from Broken Hill to beyond Cobar. The key to the toilets was attached to a lump of wood about 40cms long, the right size to get a good grip. I was never sure if it was meant to stop people absent-mindedly driving off with the key, or for use as a defensive weapon.

65. How deep is the fucking communism in Victoria?

Very. There’s China communism, then under that other Aus states, then fifty feet of crap, then us …Viktoria.

66. We’ve used a bit of that this summer.
    Excellent results and economical when used through the weedseeker.

Sorry, was thinking of “Basta” (Glufosinate).
    Excellent results on Rhodes Grass and fleabane.

67. Blamey was adamant that the AIF should remain collectively under his command. He didn’t want individuals “lost” in the British system.

Thanks for that one.

68. Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    1h
    The infantry assault on Azovstal has been canceled to preserve soldiers’ lives, will be fully blockaded from all sides instead

69. Election 2020: Kooyong candidate Monique Ryan apologises for Nazi social media post

Sophie Elsworth
    Media Writer
    Sharri Markson
    Investigations Editor
    21 minutes ago April 21, 2022
    No Comments

Independent candidate for Kooyong Monique Ryan has apologised for a social media post that trivialised Nazism and has been described by a Holocaust survivor as “very upsetting”.

A 2017 Facebook post of Dr Ryan’s surfaced and was obtained by The Australian this week that showed her sharing a meme replicating Adolf Hitler’s autobiography, Mein Kampf, using a photo of former US president Donald Trump on the cover of a mock version renamed Mein Covfefe.

Holocaust survivor Phillip Maisel said he was surprised Dr Ryan would share such an offensive image online and make comments trivialising the Nazis’ murder of millions of Jews.

“The Holocaust is an event which should be a lesson to humans about humanity in dissent,” Mr Maisel, 99, said.

“Germany was a very cultured nation and the barbarism was unbelievable, and at the very least Dr Ryan should apologise.”

70. Excellent move. Hopefully, when the hunger pains hit the remaining UKR troops will surrender.

BBQ’s near the intakes each and every day.

The Finns reported starved Russian soldiers virtually suiciding over the smell of pots of boiled sausage.

71. From “The Age.”

Channel Seven billed $170,000 for legal costs of Ben Roberts-Smith’s witnesses
    Jordan Baker
    By Jordan Baker
    April 21, 2022 — 7.30pm

Channel Seven was billed almost $170,000 for the legal costs of three witnesses testifying on behalf of Ben Roberts-Smith in his defamation fight against war crimes allegations, including more than $65,000 over two years to pay for lawyers acting for his former troop commander, a close friend.

Documents aired in the Federal Court on Thursday shows bills and payslips sent to the lawyers were paid by Seven Network (Operations), a subsidiary of the public company Seven West Media.

However, a spokesman for Seven West Media executive chairman Kerry Stokes said the bills were not ultimately paid by shareholders, but “re-charged” to the Stokes family’s private company, Australian Capital Equity (ACE). No documents verifying this claim have been made public.

The spokesman said Stokes believed soldiers should have legal representation when they appeared at the inquiry by the Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force into war crimes allegations against Australian soldiers.

72. No one listens to you here, you cretinous moon howler. You bore the shit out nearly everyone.

except the dick-less

I see it was “not a popularity contest” today as well

fuck me, you chin-rubbers sure are charmed about yr convictions aren’t youse?
    (fluid as those convictions may be)

73. I notice that there was a comment that got a bit of blue-thumb-action…
    about struth’s jibes and the heckles.

youse do realise that the deeper problem is the hecklers don’t you?

the hecklers are gonna hafta use reason and logic
    they gotta avoid the non-sequiturs
    or shut up

that’s how it works

74. St Jacinda is so kind she prevented me from seeing my Dad before he passed away.

And:

Fuck these fucking arseholes. Never forget.

Preach it.

Daniel Andrews and Brett Sutton. Forever in my heart.

75. Back at Casa Pedro after a cool evening sitting in a creek line getting eaten alive by mozzies.

Reward; two foxes within ten minutes of each other.

Tools: Lithgow Crossover boltie in .17HMR and the most magnificent high tech bit of hunting kit I have ever come across, a set of thermal imager binoculars that highlighted the ferals like daylight using their body heat.

Once seen easy to call in using the tried and true penny whistle.

The thermal binos belong to a mate, when I asked “how much” he gave me the old Rolls Royce salesman’s answer ” If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it”.

Astonishing that this high tech stuff hasn’t been made illegal by WAPol …………*ssshhhh.

76. I was on a flight today at 0700 went to SA
    worked my ring out
    got back in the door at around 2030

at no point in any of the booking, checking, working, flying game was a Vax Cert required
    not asked for
    not once

I fed myself, taxi’d, checked in, checked out … everything without a mask despite the mandate that masks be worn in the terminal and on the plane.

nobody not ever, not once even raised an eye-brow

even at the scanners outta Melb while they’re actually bomb-testing one of my instruments, I’m standing there mask-less.

even at ADL on the way out, they have a full-body-scan thing … didn’t mention the mask

here I am mask-less and they’re more worried about the RM Williams belt buckle rather than the tackle hanging under it …

77. The liars have now given up any pretence of policy and are doing what they do best: bullshit and scare. They are simply regurgitating what krudd said: climate change is the worst problem and tying that in with the chunks in the Solomons. This lie is easily tested by reference to the BOM’s Pacific Island page and it’s measurements over the last 30 years of sea temp, air temp and sea level. On all indices the Solomons has been declining for years:

78. Saw an article today saying Netflix profits have crashed…some of it maybe to woke programming.

And just now received an email, saying I might like to watch:

He’s Expecting
    2022 PG Series 8 episodes
    Intimate • Emotional • Drama
    When a successful ad executive who’s got it all figured out becomes pregnant, he’s forced to confront social inequities he’d never considered before.

79. Astonishing that this high tech stuff hasn’t been made illegal by WAPol …………*ssshhhh

Bumped into one of the ouens today – fell to gossiping – he reminded me about how certain West Australian cops earned names that stank when it was decreed that all Gods children had to have guns secured in lockable steel cabinets, with the keys kept separate and secure….asking the farmers wife or kids if they knew where the keys were, then claiming the keys were not secure…

80. Just catching up.
    It appears the UAP election manifesto was not universally well received.
    And the defenders of the faith have been howling at the moon.

81. Zipstersays:
    April 21, 2022 at 3:36 pm
    That was an interesting article on the Credit Knife Man.
    You can tell a lot about a society because of it’s old beliefs.
    One of ours is – “Look after the pennies then the pounds look after themselves.”

82. And the defenders of the faith have been howling at the moon.

You missed the bit where Matrix loyally defended his Thought Leader in the Faith and demanded all the heretics shut up.

What a sheila…

83. Roger:

Before me was an immaculately restored silver Mercedes 300SL gull wing, one of only c. 3000 built.
    Chap was in advertising. It suddenly occured to me I’d gone into the wrong profession.

Or the wrong garage…

84. Daily Mail. The issues that really matter..

The Bachelor’s Abbie Chatfield says she won’t get any more Botox because it prevents her from ‘making facial expressions when she orgasms’

85. Bruce of Newcastle:
    Poesidon is the real danger. A 500 m high tsunami would do more damage than several MIRVs and would be relatively “clean” since fallout would tend to stay in the ocean.
    I’ve wondered how big a Tsunami would be generated if a dozen 10 Megaton nukes were detonated in the bottom of the Sunda and Phillipines Trenches.
    It would certainly solve Chinas Indonesian/Philippines ‘problem’.*
    *Stalin quote – “No man, no problem”.
    *But might have been Beria.

86. A 97.3% chance that a couple of Chinese warships will put into Honiara – just for a quick visit – about a week before the Election.

Memo to Penny Wong – what was the Australian Government supposed to do – invade the islands?

87. I have been to Honiara. If it wasn’t so strategically important to our defense I would say let China have it. Grumpy, aggressive and hate white people, would be a good description of a population hooked on beetle nut and lime powder.
    Unless we are going to start bribing politicians in the Solomon government and opposition in amounts that exceed the Chinese bribes we are screwed.

88. I have been to Honiara. If it wasn’t so strategically important to our defense I would say let China have it.

I’m strictly an amateur strategist these days – the Japanese decided in 1942 that Australia was too big and too far away to invade and occupy – isolate this county from any allies and wait for the the surrender. I’m curious as to whether the Chunks aren’t playing the same game….

89. Davey Boy:

The Fusion Party seems to be ultra-green, for example check out their statement on renewables at this candidate’s page
    “Declare and mobilise against the climate emergency with a 10 year transition to negative emissions. Put a price on carbon and lead internationally to restore a safe climate with 800% renewables.”

Uh huh.
    The world is going to take a hit in the breadbasket and this fool wants to remove the CO2 that may just increase crop yields enough to make a difference.
    But you can bet this bastard won’t be going without any feeds – it’s the poor buggers in Africa and elsewhere that will cop it in the gut.

90. 2 months into the failed Putinist war in Ukraine, and Putin (who probably has Parkinson’s disease btw), STILL hasn’t fully liberated Mariupol! Couldn’t take Kiev because his tanks ran out of fuel. Totally given up on Odessa after the sinking of Russia’s flagship and loss of hundreds of lives. Still no military honours for the fallen Russians. Nasty guy!

91. youse do realise that the deeper problem is the hecklers don’t you?

the hecklers are gonna hafta use reason and logic
    they gotta avoid the non-sequiturs
    or shut up

Non sequitir= Anything Matrix doesn’t like. Especially if it upset Struth…

92. Alright, Cats, `fess up.
    Which one of you crashed your car into Terri Butler’s campaign headquarters?
    Naughty Cats, you’re supposed to give the legitimate process a chance before taking direct action.

Is this the start of some Bader-Meinhoff-wannabe cult?
    A kind of Brisvegas-Drivingoff Complex? 😛

93. Rosie:

“For Valerie Judd, that means her Home Care package will now only cover half the weekly visits she needs, because she will no longer be able to schedule two separate one-hour visits a day.
    “Having an hour means that she can have what she needs done in the morning and what she needs in the evening,” Ms Rutherford explained.”

Wait, What?
    She has seven sons who can’t organise she gets her tablets in the morning and at night?
    Unless they’rs all in some other city, and on the friggin’ dole, why aren’t they helping out?
    This is bullshit on stilts.

94. rickw/Roger:

How does a business go bankrupt?
    Slowly at first, then with Gawdalmighty thump.
    Is there enough fuel to get the crops in?
    Yes, I admit I go a little overboard about fuel and food, but I faced my biggest nightmare in about 1978 when the Storeman and Packers Union struck for an extra microwave in the break room and the supermarkets ran out of food.
    Standing there with a wife and two toddlers, looking at those empty shelves, was a frightening and life changing experience.

95. I’m curious as to whether the Chunks aren’t playing the same game….

Of course they are.
    Now one sees why even democracies have to ”meddle” in the affairs of neighbouring countries.
    Because if you don’t conduct your foreign affairs ruthlessly and effectively, the big bad wolf is out there.
    We just gave the Chinese three leaps down the pacific that we fought long and hard to deny the Japs in WW2 in a close run thing.

96. Lizzie:

Makes an interesting dot painting. Don’t need to do it for me, as I have very few and I know where they are. ?

Ah yes. Memories.
    The Child Bride did that for me about ten years ago- and while I was asleep she drew circles around my nipples.
    I didn’t notice – but the doc did. “We’ll leave those ones. They sorta look normal”

97. Burnt Stump:

There’s a vein of high grade fury running through the Australian political psyche on just that event.
    It’s well hidden, but it won’t take much to uncover it.

98. HBBear:

Were the kids still spraying bong water on the cars and vans wheels to drive the narcs dogs nuts at Dubbo?

99. I wonder if we could recycle Greens through some system, maybe wood alcohol?
    You wouldn’t drink it but. It’s send you mad.

Refrigerator coolant or rocket propellant.

Maybe even liquid solvent when suitably watered down- They are such corrosive folk, after all… 🙂

100. Dillo!:

There are only two reasons to stop in Wilcannia.
    Your car has broken down or you need to stop for fuel.

*snif*
    I liked Wilcannia – stayed there for 2 – 3 years.
    Ambulance call was a hoot.
    *snif*

101. Calli:

The environmental flows so beloved by the Greens have been a disaster for the Australian native fish.
    The Aussie fish have adapted to the occasional pond life, but the carp get hit pretty hard. The mania for running water all the time is favouring the carp and other introduced varieties.

102. Old Ozzie:

Shoulda stayed – no really.
    The road was tarred but unfenced when I was there and lots of black cattle. When they get wet, their hides just absorb light at night. I nearly hit one at 90km/hr in the Whambulance – neither of us saw it until it was meandering twenty meters ahead of us. Thank Christ it just kept toddling along to the side of the road. It must have thought the lights and sirens were a natural thing out there and didn’t panic.

103. ZK2A:

Pretty right there – It wasn’t helped by media pricks – one of whom took a film crew out there, put a thousand on the bar when a beer was about $1, then filmed the mayhem.
    Town quieted down around 2010? when the dole office closed and went to Brukken ‘ill.
    Oh and the Drug Squad boys got sick of their dogs going berserk of the smell of bong water on the cars tyres.

104. Boambee John:

I asked the servo bloke one day in the pub, and he said that the former was the intent, but the latter was the practice.

105. ZK2A:

Next time they complain about deaths in custody mention how many times indigenous people are killing each other:
    1989-2000
    Indigenous offender on Indigenous victim (n=440)

Despite Indigenous persons accounting for only about 29 per cent of the total population4 in the Northern Territory, 63.6 per cent of homicides occurred between Indigenous persons in the Northern Territory. In Western Australia and Queensland, Indigenous persons accounted for just over three per
    cent of the total population, however they accounted for much higher proportions of homicide involvement. For example, 23 per cent of homicides in Western Australia and 15 per cent in Queensland involved Indigenous persons. These data suggest that Indigenous persons in the
    Northern Territory, Western Australia and Queensland all have higher rates of involvement
    in homicide

106. Er Maj, cheating the Reaper for another year (the NT News):

Queen Elizabeth II turned 96 on Thursday, local time, receiving a rousing “Happy Birthday” from a military band and ceremonial gun salutes, after a troubled year hit by health concerns.

The Band of the Coldstream Guards, in red tunics and bearskin hats, played the tribute to crowds of onlookers outside her Windsor Castle home west of London.

Of course there are ‘health concerns’. She’s 96.

Royal tradition since the 18th century has also seen the monarch have a second, official birthday, typically celebrated in warmer weather in June.

Note to Ed – this does not mean the Queen is 48.

This year’s official birthday will coincide with four days of public events from June 2 to 5 to mark her record-breaking 70th year on the throne.

US toy manufacturer Mattel has even released a new Barbie doll of the queen to commemorate the Platinum Jubilee.

You haven’t made it until you’re Barbie-ised.

107. The ADL would do itself a favour of it didn’t insist there were no white countries. I am sure they have a logical reason to do so, but you know, some people want you to have a certain image
    …Oof.

108. Public servants don’t seem to want to serve the public these days.

Deep State: Senior French Immigration Civil Servant Would Refuse to ‘Collaborate’ if Le Pen Wins Presidency (21 Apr)

At least he’s honest about it, unlike federal public servants in the US. I think is terms are acceptable: Le Pen can fire his arse and all the lefty uncivil unservants under him.

109. A lesson apparently unheeded by Albanese et al.

This is the tail end of a nothing piece in The Hun on the lengths of various governments in this wide brown land:

But the record for the shortest stint for any Australian prime minister or premier is held by Queensland’s Anderson Dawson.

Inspired by Marxist ideology, he formed a ministry after the resignation of James Dickson’s government in 1899. It became the first democratic socialist or labour party government in the world, a feat that was written up in newspapers abroad.

It was also the shortest government Australia has ever seen, lasting just six days.

110. Major networks giving Piers Morgan a go might need to check this.
    Report: The Trump team have released full audio of an interview they say was edited disgracefully and deceptively to show a sensational ending.
    Gateway Pundit

111. The BBC and other media seem happy to present Le Pen as “extreme right” then use examples of her saying she wants France to get its “grandeur” back and have a national interest approach to foreign policy.

112. Memo to ScoMo: if by some strange chance you win you have to go full slash and burn for the sake of the country.

’tis the perfect climate for it, with record low unemployment.

113. Morgan’s, arrogant zero accomplishment deadshit parasite, deception would make him even more prestigious in the sick, twisted world that is the meja

114. Always fun to read tea leaves. As CNN+ faceplants finally & fatally in the most deliciousest way, this news comes out the same day:

Barack and Michelle Obama Are Abandoning Spotify (21 Apr)

Engadget reports that Barack and Michelle Obama will be parting ways with Spotify after their partnership ends in October. The couple signed an exclusive podcast deal with Spotify in 2019 that is sent to come to an end later this year, and there are no plans for a new contract.

The couple’s deal with Spotify was rumored to be worth $25 million and resulted in the production of two podcasts including Renegades: Born in the USA with Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen, as well as The Michelle Obama Podcast.

Higher Ground has yet to issue an official statement but a report from Vanity Fair in February at the height of the controversy surrounding Joe Rogan on Spotify appears to provide some insight into the relationship between Spotify and the production studio. Higher Ground reportedly complained that Spotify often made it hard to get new shows off the ground and grew increasingly frustrated.

That last sentence makes me think Spotify found they were stuck with two turkeys who certainly didn’t attract viewers like Joe Rogan does. No mention is made in the story about the size of the audiences for those amazing and unmissable Obama shows.

Well I’m not surprised that Spotify isn’t begging The One to re-up. Lefties love free stuff, and are disinclined to rudely pay for any service, which likely is why CNN+ now feeds the fishes.

115. I see Peter Garrett is up on his hind legs criticising government climate policies.

How many kids did you electrocute last week Pink Batt Pete?

116. CNN+ will expand CNN’s unparalleled multiplatform global reach to provide a new, additive experience that complements the core CNN linear networks and digital platforms to serve CNN superfans, news junkies and fans of quality non-fiction programming.

**Snork**

117. Unbelievable! .. Apparently Tansy’s hubby, the drug dealer sez that now he is in charge of NSW PS any PS can change their workplace sex preference just by stating they are he or she ..
    that’ll do Tansy’s aspirations to the Lodge the world of good .. LOL!

At Budget Estimates the head of NSW Public Service Michael Coutts-Trotter confirming that female gender is self-identifying in all his agencies.A biological man can be a woman just by saying so.

118. Dot says:
    April 22, 2022 at 6:58 am
    The Black Sun, Winston.
    Also, surprisingly level headed.

Interesting piece.

It certainly seems that, for some, Putin has been invested with an invincible armour of virtues.

Mainly because of the things he is apparently not, rather than what he very apparently is.

119. Courtesy of Westprint Maps Friday newsletter.

Thoughts to Ponder

Can you cry under water?

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Why do you have to ‘put your two cents in’… But it’s only a ‘penny for your thoughts’? Where’s that extra penny going to?

Once you’re in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why are you IN a movie, but you’re ON TV?

Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They’re going to see you naked anyway.

Why is ‘bra’ singular and ‘pants’ plural?

Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?

If the professor on Gilligan’s Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can’t he fix a hole in a boat?

Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?

Why did you just try singing the two songs above?

Why do they call it an asteroid when it’s outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it’s in your butt?

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog’s face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?

Why doesn’t Tarzan have a beard?

Why is it that no matter what color bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?

Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first try?

How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

———————————————————————————————

What do you call dangerous precipitation? A rain of terror.

I wrote a song about a tortilla. Well actually, it’s more of a wrap.

Learn sign language, it’s very handy.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don’t know, and I don’t care.

White boards are remarkable.

The Grim Reaper came for me last night, and I beat him off with a vacuum cleaner. Talk about Dyson with death.

A man invites his mate back home for dinner. The wife screams at him “I’ve not done my hair, not done my makeup, not done any housework, not done the dishes & can’t be bothered with cooking! Why the hell did you invite him round for?”
    “Cos he’s thinking of getting married”

One time, I had to tell a candidate that we would not be able to offer him a job because his drug test had come back positive and ours was a drug-free environment. After a minute he asked, “Can you tell me which one showed up?”

120. Well, well, well. It isn’t just Chairman Dan in the Chinese Communist Party’s pocket. It turns out that, despite its bluster, federal Labor is too. Excellent digging by Shari Markson:

Anthony Albanese’s deputy leader – Labor’s proclaimed Pacific guru Richard Marles – only months ago argued that island nations should be free to hook up in any way they liked with Beijing and dismissed fears about China setting up military bases in places such as the Solomons.
    In a declaration that undermines Anthony Albanese’s attack on the Morrison government over its failure to stop the Solomon ¬Islands signing a secret security deal with China, Mr Marles said: “The idea the Pacific nations would adhere to a call from ¬Australia to not engage with China is silly.”
    Since 2019, when he took a trip to Beijing funded by controversial think-tank China Matters, which has now been stripped of its Australian government funding over concerns about its agenda, Mr Marles has argued Australia should encourage China’s ¬involvement in the Pacific, according to several documents unearthed by The Australian.
    Mr Marles, in the speech at Beijing Foreign Studies University, said he had been “very cognisant” since 2012 of the growing role that China was playing in providing development assistance in the Pacific. “Let me be crystal clear: that was and has been a good thing. The Pacific needs help and Australia needs to welcome any country willing to provide it. Certainly the Pacific Island countries themselves do,” he said.
    In a mini-book, Tides That Bind: Australia in the Pacific, published last August, Mr Marles warned that “basing our actions in the Pacific on an attempt to strategically deny China would be a historic mistake’’.
    “Not only would this be detrimental to our regional relationships, it would be a failed course of action,” he said. “Australia has no right to expect a set of exclusive relationships with the Pacific nations. They are perfectly free to engage on whatever terms they choose with China or, for that matter, any other country. Disputing this would be resented, as the recent past has shown.”
    Richard Marles argues Australia should encourage China’s ¬involvement in the Pacific, according to several documents unearthed by The Australian.
    Labor has branded the Coalition the most “incompetent government on national security since World War II” in the wake of the Solomons’ security deal with China. Campaigning on the NSW south coast on Thursday, ¬Anthony Albanese said the Prime Minister has “gone missing’’ in trying to keep China at bay in the South Pacific, attacking him for not sending senior ministers to the Solomons to convince them not to sign the China deal. “The security agreement between China and the Solomons is a massive failure of our foreign policy,’’ Mr Albanese said.
    “Why was the government so complacent and kept saying it was all under control,’’ the Opposition Leader said. “We have to recognise what’s happening in the region. We have to recognise that China is more forward-leaning, that they’re seeking to increase their influence in the region. And we need to respond to that.”
    In his book Mr Marles, tipped to be defence minister in an Albanese government, repeatedly dismissed concerns about China setting up military bases in the Pacific – a development Labor now says the government should have been alive to.
    “Rather than worrying about the prospect of foreign military bases in the region, our real call to arms must be the Pacific’s performance against MDGs (Millennium Development Goals), and the associated and real risk that it will become entrenched as the least developed part of the world,” Mr Marles wrote.
    In his book Mr Marles wrote: “In early 2018, the Coalition government’s interest in the Pacific spiked, largely inspired, it seemed, by a series of reports in the Fairfax media about the prospect of a Chinese military base being built in Vanuatu. These reports were denied by the governments of both China and Vanuatu.”
    Mr Marles wrote that there was “something deeply misguided about this sudden interest in the Pacific because of the purported actions of another country there”.
    He has repeatedly argued that Australia’s Pacific Step Up policy, which Mr Morrison designed to counter China’s influence, should not exclude China.
    Mr Marles said Australia’s motivation in the Pacific “must not be centred on denying China” which he said would be “a failed course of action”. If Australia’s renewed interest in the Pacific was interpreted as an attempt to keep China at bay “then it will be seen in a very cynical light’’.
    While Labor has now argued that the Morrison government should have invested more in the region, Mr Marles wrote that Australia would never win a bidding war with China and the idea was “laughable”.
    “An attempt to engage in a calculated denial of China will only create a geo-strategic contest that Pacific Island countries will register with bewilderment, if not mirth,” he wrote. “Besides, the idea that Australia would win a bidding war with China is laughable.”
    He said calls from Australia not to engage with China “would be damaging to our relations with all countries concerned”. “How China relates to the Pacific is the Pacific’s business,” he said.
    In remarks Mr Marles gave during his September 2019 trip to China – which is missing from his website – Mr Marles said it was “extremely important” for China and Australia to work together in the Pacific. “We need to change the trajectory of development in the Pacific, one that is acutely alert to the impact of development assistance and financing on local communities and local priorities. And any country, including China, which shares this awareness and is willing to help in this endeavour should enjoy Australia’s support.”
    Mr Albanese on Wednesday touted his deputy’s role in shaping the nation’s Pacific policy while he was attacking the government’s handling of the Solomon Islands-China pact.
    “The problem is that those relationships aren’t ones that can be done just when there’s a crisis,” Mr Albanese said. “When Richard Marles was our person in the Pacific, he had deep engagement, indeed, won a civil honour in the Solomons.
    “What’s clear is that we’ve dropped the ball here. What’s clear is that when the warning was given in August, the government didn’t act soon enough.”
    Mr Marles was a parliamentary secretary for Pacific island affairs during the Gillard government and was Labor’s defence spokesman until January 2021.
    In 2013, he was awarded the Cross of the Solomon Islands, the highest civilian award. It was presented by Solomon Islands Governor-General Frank Kabui who told Mr Marles the “government and the people of Solomon Island recognise your service to our nation by devotion to duty marked by exceptional ability, merit and exemplary conduct”.
    Liberal senator James Paterson, chairman of the joint parliamentary committee on intelligence and security, said Mr Marles’s “dangerous naïveté about the threat posed by China in the Pacific just shows what a risk a weak Labor government would be in this dangerous strategic environment”.
    “This is someone who fancies themselves as a future defence minister and yet he’s welcomed the presence of China in the region which he and his colleagues now blame the government for,” Senator Paterson said.
    Australian Strategic Policy Institute executive director, Peter Jennings said “had Mr Marles spoken to Defence he would have known there was genuine substance about concerns China was seeking a military base in Vanuatu”.
    “But in his failures to retain Australia’s position as the Pacific’s partner of choice, Scott Morrison has left a vacuum and China is filling it. It’s that simple.
    “The signing of this agreement is clearly a watershed moment in the prospects of China’s military presence in the region … The record demonstrates that when Labor was in power, we were the natural partner of choice for the countries of the Pacific.”

121. Oh noes.

‘Climate change’ could ’cause languages to die’ (21 Apr)

“Climate change is also endangering the survival of many of the world’s most at-risk linguistic populations. As these communities get displaced due to rising sea levels and climatic changes that disrupt their agricultural and fishing industries, it becomes inevitably more difficult for small languages to remain viable as its speakers scatter around the globe and are forced to assimilate to local cultures.”

Wow, languages are literally being drowned by sea level rise of 3 mm per year. In a hundred years they will expire under a foot of water.

122. Daily Mail. Is there anything in the Australian media about this?

EXPOSED: The racist, misogynist ‘joke’ posts on a Labor Facebook page in the heart of Anthony Albanese’s electorate about high-profile Liberals… including one showing Josh Frydenberg in a NAZI uniform – seemingly mocking his Jewish faith

Labor branch used misogynistic and anti-semitic memes to attack Liberal party
    Balmain Labor made series of Facebook posts attacking high profile figures
    Josh Fydenberg, Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton among figures attacked

123. Mr Marles said last night: “The Morrison government has shown itself to be the most incompetent government on national security since WWII. A critical part of managing a more aggressive China is shoring up our other regional relationships and helping our neighbours avoid coercion.

Marles actually has a valid point here.

Travelling in Fiji in 2016 I was surprised by the level of Chinese investment in infrastructure (roads and hydro) and the pride which locals took in it. For a long time all Australia did to Fiji was scold it for attempting to deal with its colonial legacy in a pragmatic and fair manner in order to avoid civil strife.

Under Bishops’s tenure as FM we began to lose influence in our own backyard.

124. shatterzzzsays:
    April 22, 2022 at 8:24 am
    that’ll do Tansy’s aspirations to the Lodge the world of good .. LOL!

125. Under Bishops’s tenure as FM we began to lose influence in our own backyard.

I hope you’re not suggesting there was more to her job than looking fabulous.

126. I hope you’re not suggesting there was more to her job than looking fabulous.

Exactly. And she even failed at that.

Be that as it may, before they get too excited about pinning Morrison down on the Solomons, Marles & Co. might need to be reminded of the old adage that “there are no votes in foreign policy.”

127. Two stories about the Solomons’ climate saviour that our MSM might like to ask Penny Wong about.

World’s Worst Polluter China Increases Coal Production by 300 Million Tons (21 Apr)

Chinese state media announced on Wednesday that coal production will increase by a whopping 300 million tons in 2022 to “ensure energy supplies,” making a mockery of Beijing’s breezy promises to climate change activists.

China Doubles Russian Coking Coal Imports As Rest Of World Shuns Moscow (21 Apr)

Outbound shipments of Russian coking coal to China doubled in March to 1.4 million tons, compared with 550,000 tons for the same month last year, according to Bloomberg, citing Chinese customs data.

China has resisted Western sanctions on Russian energy products as it purchases heavily discounted coal used for steel-making. Russian coal trades well below market prices than what other top suppliers, like Indonesia and Mongolia, are offering.

It’d be nice if they ask Albo about this stuff too, assuming the can find him in whichever basement he’s currently hiding in.

128. Can I dream that all biological men in these organisations will immediately declare themselves female to screw with their gender quotas?

Great point.

Gender quotas are a thing of the past.
    KPI’s met.
    Bonuses run free.

129. Recall the discussion we were having about IQ and success?

This, I think, gets it spot on. Optimism.

The modern world is said to over-reward academic intelligence, and so it does. Of the most successful people I know, though, none are the very smartest in their organisations, much less their generational cohorts. Beyond a certain cognitive level, another trait seems to become more decisive. “Optimism” is the crispest word for it, but it gives a banal ring to what is a complex and eerie mental gift: the sifting for good news among the bad, the willingness to magnify and even invent some, the reinterpretation of adverse events as what one had wanted all along.

That’s the it factor.

130. Ah, multiculturalism at it’s finest.

Sweden’s descent into social unrest is a remarkable development in what was once one of Europe’s most stable societies. It is a development that other western countries would be wise to watch very closely, in order not to repeat the same mistakes.

131. It is a development that other western countries would be wise to watch very closely, in order not to repeat the same mistakes.

Unless of course your objective is to destroy a western country be this mechanism….

132. It can border on self-deception. But it also gets people through the night. And the most underrated component of success is continuing to show up.

133. rickwsays:
    April 22, 2022 at 10:08 am
    China’s state media endorses Albanese “in comparison to Morrison, he positively shines”

Whoever said you can’t polish a turd!

Chuckle

134. It can border on self-deception. But it also gets people through the night. And the most underrated component of success is continuing to show up.

A great summary.

In design / operations / engineering the way to succeed is what I call Incremental Problem Solving. You keep solving the problems one piece at a time, what you can solve on that day, until one day there is nothing left of the problem. But you definitely need to keep turning up and having at it!

135. I guess that’s that for Victorian ‘concentration camps for the unvaccinated’.

“Unvaccinated arrivals will no longer need to complete seven days’ quarantine, and unvaccinated air crew won’t need to get tested before departure”
    Victorian rule changes

136. the most underrated component of success is grit and determination against all the odds.

You also need a political and economic system and a culture that promotes effort and rewards hard work.

137. NDIS ‘failure’ began at Gillard, says Labor star
    John Kehoe and Tom McIlroy
    Apr 22, 2022 – 5.00am

Anthony Albanese’s “captain’s pick” for a marginal Sydney seat backed Scott Morrison’s commitment to the National Disability Insurance Scheme and blamed the Gillard government for a major “public governance failure” of the program.

The comments by Andrew Charlton last year undermine Labor attacks on the Prime Minister for his alleged “unfair cuts” to the NDIS, even after last month’s budget allocated an extra $40 billion in funding over four years.

Andrew Charlton is Labor’s candidate in the marginal seat of Parramatta.

Dr Charlton, Labor’s candidate for Parramatta, wrote an opinion column in The Sydney Morning Herald last July headlined: “The fatal flaw in the NDIS: it cries wolf but has no shepherd to control its spending.”

Dr Charlton noted that the projected $60 billion annual cost of the NDIS by 2030 was a “shocking number” that was more than the cost of Medicare and above what the Commonwealth spends on defence and school education combined.

“So why is the NDIS budget such a shambles?” he wrote.

“If you think I’m about to blame the Morrison government, you’d be wrong.

“Morrison is clearly personally committed to the NDIS and has put a series of competent and well-meaning ministers in charge of it with a brief to make it work.”

Dr Charlton said the problem was that the National Disability Insurance Agency sets its own budget without serious government oversight and “spends more money than the army, and operates with an extraordinary level of independence from the elected government and responsible minister.”

138. 32-y-o man dies of heart attack, mid-shift, on a Rio Tinti minesite. Rick Chapman. (Mine wife was jusr chatting to beautician whose hubby threw in 6-figure job with Rio because jab command)
    Also patient died from heart complications while on the ambulance ramp for 2+hours in Busselton… effectively a new built facility, way over capacity in terms of hardware, even for easter holidays.