2,036 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 28 May 2022”

1. UK press very downbeat about the progress of the war in Ukraine. You can see them gently preparing their audience for further bad news down the line. Also establishing narrative lines that explain RUS victories as ‘change in strategies’, ‘bite size’ breakthroughs, ‘medieval’ destruction, and so on.

2. My new boss is great…

Good to hear you’re employed against struth.

With a good boss to boot!

May you live long and prosper.

(Seriously.)

3. I recall Tony Hancock describing himself as upper lower middle class. M0nty seems to think he’s lower upper middle class.

For the record, I have no class whatever.

4. I’m gonna make a pizza made entirely of pineapple.

Pineapple pieces. Pineapple meat substitute. Pineapple ketchup. (Ewww…) …pineapple “cheese”. Flour from ground pineapple.

Suck it, Romans. You didn’t invent pizza.

For godsake there is authentic lasagne with apples and walnuts in it. My Ligurian brothers make lasagne verde.

Never tried a real Hawaiian with pineapple.

Pepperoni would make it better. 🙂 All I really want now are calzones and monte pulcianio.

5. With all those roses and grapes, it was the time of the season, Roger!

Indeed it was, calli.

From Odessey and Oracle, iirc; one of the most under-rated albums of the time.

6. Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    ·1h
    The ability to rotate troops is currently one of Russia’s biggest advantages over Ukraine
    Quote Tweet

The Eurasianist ??
    @Russ_Warrior
    · 13h
    As part of rotation a brigade of Russian troops involved in the military operations in #Ukraine has returned to #Russia, where it was welcomed back by a jubilant crowd in Kizlyar, Dagestan.

This slays a few talking points. RUS troops in field are being overextended. RUS is using their minorities as cannon fodder. Little public support for Operation ‘Z’.

7. It’s odd. Actresses like Dench, Redgrave and Mirren seem to have no trouble with roles. Perhaps because they’re good.

More likely because they’re lezzos.

8. Sanch Panzer:

No man with half a brain would go near teaching.
    Forty years down the track and some grifter looking for an earn has a “recovered memory” that you touched them up at the back of the First Nations History class.
    No thanks.

Yes, why would a bloke put himself in such a position?

9. I’m upper middle lower class.
    Not snooty.

According to my family tree we’re on an unrelenting slide down the class scale.

It’s not looking good, I tell you.

10. Theo & Co on Oxford St In Leederville used to do a great pizza with slow cooked lamb, olives and some sort of garlic sauce. Now gone to the great restaurant in the sky. If we can’t agree on pineapple, surely anchovies are a non-negotiable.

11. I fully expected to get COVID from the footy on Friday night.
    Contained environment.
    Everyone drinking & yelling.
    I actually cleared my weekend in the expectation of it.
    But no, feeling great.

12. I’ve been in theatres, restaurants, down mines, in buses.

Can’t get it. Immune. I appear to frighten the stupid thing away. Even mocking the hapless masked doesn’t activate it.

I’m doomed to be covidless, regardless of my tainted and enspikened blood.

13. Just watching Ian Plimer on Outsiders. The guy is huge but getting old. I really hope he doesn’t do a Bob Carter who was a great loss.

14. They are making a series which will be the prequel to the Rogue One movie.
    I’m looking forward to it but Disney is going to squeeze everything they can out of the Star Wars universe.

15. I’m upper middle lower class.

The whole class system is intellectual laziness. It’s so that the collectivist nongs can judge whether you are worth talking to by looking to see how you are dressed and whether you can handle cutlery. I find it just as quick and more accurate to talk first and see what response I get.

My system has the advantage of finding all sorts of interesting ppl from all sorts of backgrounds, which beats ruling out everyone who isn’t much like me.

16. Dover – The actual progress of the Russian Army is still arthritic. In the Severodonetsk area the Russians are doing pretty well: at 7:1 odds according to the Ukrs. Which is what you want tactically. I don’t think they’ve taken the town/city yet though, although they’re on the edges of the place.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this guy for local tactical stuff. He’s Ukrophile but appears to be a realist.

I infer that Ukraine is severely short of ammo by the fact that they aren’t pressing the thousands of km of frontage outside the Donbas pocket. There’s a small amount of pressure down by Kherson, but not a great deal elsewhere.

17. anchovies are a non-negotiable.

they ave to Nocchiero brand or John West in the little tins

#3 Capricciosa
    that Grandmother’s Ham is getting old ? or better yet, Fabbris Gypsy ham

get the slices and roll them into tubes
    slice them finely across the tube

olives , homemade if you can otherwise get kalamata and squish the pips out under yr thumb
    anchovy hmmm, anchovy

sharp cheddar or a young sheep’s cheese … but not too much

wood fire

bliss

18. It’s so that the collectivist nongs can judge whether you are worth talking to by looking to see how you are dressed

Dunning-Kruger dressing is very tiresome.

19. To sum up what he says, we’re fucked for the next 3 years of a rub and tug government with the filth in charge.

He’s an optimist. We’re fucked well beyond the next three years.

Liddell and Eraring will shut – also bet on Callide B shutting earlier than 2028.

Australia will then be relying on China Light and Power (2,700 MW) and Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (3,000 MW) for a significant part of its reliable, fossil-powered electricity generation.

Very fucked.
    And all part of the plan.

20. I’ve been in theatres, restaurants, down mines, in buses.
    Can’t get it. Immune.

Me either. Dunno why. I was reflecting this driving home from church today. Not vaxxed, never had a RAT, never had a PCR. It’s like it’s passed me by this last two years. But we had Zoom going in our service this morning, except it kept crashing because of bad 4G. Some parishioners were at home ill.

21. According to Daily Mail Scott Morrison, aka Squat, still has not moved out of Kiribili house. I understand the hassles of moving but a week is pushing it a bit far.

22. I just heard an expression I had never heard before.
    Canadian tuxedo.
    Jeans with a denim jacket, apparently.
    Flanno shirt optional.

23. Wow nice nauseating kowtow piece to our new Chinese overlords from some clown called Levi Parsons in the DM. Must have hit a chord, I git a third of the way though before I’d had enough then fast tracked to the comments, whoops published 1000h this morning, 1220h updated and comments no longer being accepted. Stab in the dark but the 2 hours that it was opened probably ruffled Levi’s feathers or was pretty scathing for the DM and the Editor decided to memory hole the lot.

24. #4 recycled prawns from yesterday’s pasta?

slice them down the middle
    scant sugo on the pizza base
    cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
    fior di latte

while they cook get some butter and garlic going in a pan but back off from burnt or nutty
    chuck on some fresh basil leaves for the last few minutes in the oven

pour the garlic butter on to finish

Riesling

25. Liddell and Eraring will shut

Economic sabotage- an establishment at war with its own people. No way could I vote lieboral after everything that’s happened over the last 7 years.

26. Canadian tuxedo

501s with a Levi’s jacket, the latter of which ideally does not match the former.

I’ve been known to wear them in my time (often).

Too cool for school, peons. 🙂

27. Seeing as Mrs TE and self have had bat-flu, can we have mask exemptions?

If not why not?

28. My favourite combo is Black 501s, paired with a White Levi’s Jacket and my beloved black suede (with white stripes) adidas boxing boots.

What colour nail polish did you use to make the outfit pop?

29. Rabz says:
    May 29, 2022 at 7:53 pm
    gez – when you live in Sydney, the outfit described above is “restrained”.

What, no pirate sleeves?
    You city boys.

30. According to MI6, Putin is dead and a body double is covering this up with the public. It’s pretty much a deadheat right now between Kiev and London for sheer ridiculousness.

Any word on Biden?

31. According to MI6, Putin is dead and a body double is covering this up with the public.

The Sun is fun! I should read it.
    Do they have page 3 girls like the Express?

32. Dotsays:
    May 29, 2022 at 8:14 pm
    Remember this?

Paul O Toole and Scott Morrison have ended offshore oil and gas in NSW. Dan Andrews has killed it off in Victoria (by phasing out household gas).

Are we going to go to even worse than the USA faster? Reckon we’re going to give it a red hot go!

33. I’d be interested in any honest modelling of fuel and electricity prices without fossil fuels and nuclear.

I’d be interested in any honest modelling of fuel and electricity availability without fossil fuels and nuclear.

34. The actual progress of the Russian Army is still arthritic.

I bet the UAF wish it was more ‘arthritic’. To paraphrase Gandalf: “The RuAF is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to.”

35. Paul O Toole and Scott Morrison have ended offshore oil and gas in NSW. Dan Andrews has killed it off in Victoria (by phasing out household gas)

Spot on Dot – history of this is instructive – Frydenberg 2016 and Canavan 2018 when they were resource ministers both overruled their Lib NSW counterparts to allow offshore gas exploitation to go ahead to try to fix NSWs 96% dependence on Vic from Bass strait and QLD coal seams – but Morrison caved – and undermined their good work.

36. Shatterzzz:
    A lot of the SF books I like have a sociological bent to them.
    “When a combat veteran finds a mystery woman with armed invaders in his home and it all goes sideways, he turns to his brothers in arms to fight back. On the run from the shadowy Company, soon he finds himself in a war for possession of a genetic engineering puzzle that threatens the stability of the world. But who is behind it all…and are they even human…”
    Sounds a little corny, but it resonates. ‘What if a virus did good?’
    Good characterisations, interesting twists in the plot.

37. Actually, sheer ridiculousness is believing that the Sun is a reliable source of intelligence.

They do Man Bites Dog and TV Celebrities and soccer scandals and bums n’ tits quite well.

It’s of a piece with rest of the British media.

38. try to fix NSWs 96% dependence on Vic from Bass strait and QLD coal seams – but Morristeen caved

HOP Time is too dignified a way to go out for that fat useless quisling bastard.

P.S. “exploitation” is fine in your original context, Biggsy – “mining” resources is exploitation.

39. Because a mask exemption would mark you out as disrespectful of authoritah. Which must be crushed.

If you do find yourself having to wear a mask make sure it leaves your nostrils free to get some fresh air. Technically you are wearing one but if some Pecksniffian wants to make an issue of it just say you only breath through your mouth.

40. I’d be interested in any honest modelling of fuel and electricity prices without fossil fuels and nuclear.

I have in the back of my mind that someone had done this, result was electricity prices of around $12, 000 p.a. per household at current consumption rates.

41. modelling of fuel and electricity prices without fossil fuels and nuclear

How do you model something that does not exist?

Oh, that’s right, you resort to “hypothesising” (again).

#irrationalconsumers

42. Old Bloke:

Why are the hospitals overcrowded? Is it because there’s more sick people around or because too many doctors and nurses were sacked for not taking the jab? Just a guess but it could be a combination of both.

“Never underestimate the ability of a Labor government to stuff things up” comes to mind.

43. From the Oz.

Ruby’s Story: I didn’t want dad jailed, but I was scared he would kill me

For testifying against a man who had mercilessly bashed and repeatedly raped his own daughter, Yuendumu woman Serita Ross was attacked with an axe. And, she says, it’s not over yet.

44. On Sharri Markson tonight, Aaron Patrick, who is a half decent journalist at the AFR, spoke about the National’s leadership spill tomorrow. Patrick spoke disparagingly about Barnaby Joyce and basically blamed him for the Liberal’s loss, saying that Barnaby was a deadweight for the Liberals in electorates like North Sydney and Wentworth…..and then, and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, Patrick cited Joyce’s “private life” as a significant reason. Err….what? That had resolved itself well before the 2019 election. Even Sharri Markson, who had originally broke the story of Barnaby’s relationship with Vikki back in early 2018, was nonplussed at Patrick’s citing of Joyce’s private life. And whilst I’m not that enamoured of Joyce (and my disdain has nothing to do with his private life), I can’t see how it’s relevant to a campaign in an electorate like Wentworth. But it’s clear Joyce is being used as a boogeyman by the left and they’re using his private life to justify the vilification of him and conservatives.

45. ” but Morrison caved – and undermined their good work.”

Just a reminder that one of the progressive/moderate/wet Liberal MPs who pushed Morrison to cave on offshore drilling……and of course Morrison being Morrison caved….was Dave Sharma. After the capitulation, Sharma sent out an email as well as a letter to all us residents here in Wentworth proudly stating how he was instrumental in this push to ban offshore gas and oil drilling.

You just gotta laugh….karma Sharma.

46. And yet it’s odd how the left are happy to ignore the often squalid private lives of Anthony Albanese, and Bill Shorten (who impregnated another man’s wife), and Tony Burqa, and Paul Keating, and Bob Hawke. The hypocrisy is never ending.

Because they are Marxist trash. Enemies of the people and have done so much damage over the last 60 years.

47. Can you blow out two very large tyres on a self propelled sprayer in less than 24 hours?
    Yes you can.
    Will you be very tired and sore from changing said tyres.
    You betcha!
    I’m off to bed.

48. Cassie it’s no compensation for having an Anal government but being rid of Sharma and the other rubbish in NSW and Vic has to be a good thing.

49. And yet it’s odd how the left are happy to ignore the often squalid private lives of Anthony Albanese, and Bill Shorten (who impregnated another man’s wife), and Tony Burqa, and Paul Keating, and Bob Hawke. The hypocrisy is never ending.

I’m embarrassed to be a member of this species.

50. One silver lining is that as the new Govt considers its first budget, for once the departing Liberals have not left a lovely pile of cash to squander.

Sucko Labor

51. The thing I find surprising about that is that there are women who let Peanut Head root them.
    I’m embarrassed to be a member of this species.

What about those who let Bob Hawke into their knickers?

52. “it’s odd how the left are happy to ignore the often squalid private lives of …

… anyone but themselves.”

The most annoying thing about hypocrites is that they will not even admit they are aware of the concept, let alone acknowledge it.

I used to be a collectivist. A fairly rabid one at that. 9/11 brought it all into sharp relief.

A militant atheist, I simply couldn’t tolerate collectivists’ excuses for that act of bastardry.

But it wasn’t just that. I was well off, loved the free market and preferred that government was small enough to be quickly strangled in the nearest bathtub.

These factors can quickly add up, peoples. Then I realised to my horror “Am I a hypocrite – and if I am how do I fix it?”.

Simples. You stop vaingloriously posturing as a collectivist and embrace the many good things in life, guilt free – such as white leather adidas boxing boots*.

*As worn by the greatest ever.

53. He has his future in British Steel …

#kingforaday

Good taste, Rabster. King for a day is great too. Very different to Nigel. Colin Moulding is an underrated talent.

54. Welcome to Country could soon open Catholic masses, school assemblies and meetings

EXCLUSIVE
    Tess Livingstone
    2 hours ago May 29, 2022
    156 Comments

The recommendation is contained in a set of proposals to the Church’s Plenary Council, to be voted on at an assembly of bishops and others later this year.

The draft document also calls for greater decision-making roles for women in the church, and considering women for ministry as deacons should Pope Francis authorise such a change.

Since 2020, a study commission set up by the Vatican has been reviewing the possibility of a female diaconate. The proposal to the Australian Plenary Council also says the Church should “remunerate more appropriately those women already leading and serving’’.

The draft document, which will be controversial among many Mass-goers, is in line with parts of the Greens/teals agenda. It emphasises “the urgency of environmental degradation and climate change and the call of recent popes for an ‘ecological conversion’ and development of an integral ecology of life’’.

In line with other faiths, as reported on Friday’s front page, the proposal “endorses the Uluru Statement from the Heart’’.

The draft document, given to The Australian, will be circulated within the church hierarchy on Monday.

It was written by theologian Dr Elissa Roper, a specialist in Synodality, and others, as part of a two-year consultation process involving two Plenary Councils assemblies and widespread consultation across the church. The process drew 17,457 submissions from individuals and groups, representing more than 222,000 people.

The first Assembly was held mainly online in October last year due to Covid-19. The second, at which binding decisions will be made, will be held in Sydney in July.

As part of the process, the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Catholic Council, made a submission “in the hope that the Catholic Church in Australia will more resemble the Church that Jesus Christ wants her to be in relation to Australia’s First Peoples”.

NATSICC recommended that “the traditional custodians of the land on which the church, school, parish or organisation stands be acknowledged in a prominent and appropriate manner. Verbal acknowledgment prior to meetings and Mass is also encouraged’’. It also noted that “Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander spirituality contains symbols and rituals, that when used appropriately in Catholic liturgical contexts, enrich our celebrations and facilitate a welcoming environment for Indigenous Peoples.’’

55. And yet it’s odd how the left are happy to ignore the often squalid private lives of
    Juliar Gillard, anyone? Remember the rorted love-nest for her and her married man?
    Or the miraculously disappearing hairdresser?

56. “in the hope that the Catholic Church in Australia will more resemble the Church that Jesus Christ wants her to be in relation to Australia’s First Peoples”.

I would have supposed that claiming to know what Jesus thinks about aborigines is blasphemy. These arrogant shits have not a trace of humility. But they’re full bottle on fashionable garbage.

57. Shatterzzz:
    I’m always on the lookout for military history books – I hate to see them go to unloved homes.
    Just ask Dover beach for my email.

58. Catholics could soon be acknowledging the traditional owners of the land on which their churches, schools and parishes stand, before Mass and meetings.

The Bishops loved lock downs.
    They’ll love this too.

59. Catholics could soon be acknowledging the traditional owners of the land on which their churches, schools and parishes stand, before Mass and meetings.
    Unfortunately, I’m beginning to realize that in the absence of a Catholic pope, Catholic schools and charities will roll over for this.

60. Patrick spoke disparagingly about Barnaby Joyce and basically blamed him for the Liberal’s loss, saying that Barnaby was a deadweight for the Liberals in electorates like North Sydney and Wentworth

Sounds like Lucy “Bonk Ban” Turnbull has been briefing the AFR.
    When I say “briefing” I mean making shit up and reverse engineering it into the narrative.

61. Rabzsays:

May 29, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Pancho – it’s known here in Sydney as “eclecticism”.

Eclecticism?
    How many words for “gay” do we need?

62. Farmer Gezsays:

May 29, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Power sliding?

63. $3k per quarter for gas & power.

I was paying $120 per quarter about a decade ago, on my own.

Not sure what fuel will be. I do hold STO, WDS, BPT & KAR in my superannuation portfolio.

64. Farmer Gez says:
    May 29, 2022 at 9:49 pm
    BTW
    Morrison is gone, let’s all move on. He was a very silly man

Sorry, FG, but I can’t let that go through to the keeper.

And before I address the subject of Scott Morrison, I have to say that I don’t swear much.

But for him I’ll make an exception: he is a F*cking Arseh*le.

There’s only one other politician that I couldn’t bear the sight of, and still can’t, and that was Paul “This is the recession Australia had to have” Keating.

Well, Morrison is a close second.

I appreciate Rowan Dean on the Outsiders replaying regularly the footage of police overreach and brutality to remind us, if we did need reminding, of what was a shocking feature of the last 2 and a bit years.

On that, we should never forget that it was Scott Morrison, a Liberal PM, who allowed/enabled the locking down of our country and the draconian measures taken to do it, the forcing of vaccine mandates on to a supposed democratic people and the creating of two classes of citizens, which still exists, by way of the so-called property laws to deny service and access to work to the unvaccinated.

He is and always will be a F*cking Arseh*ole.

65. I was paying $120 per quarter about a decade ago, on my own.

Pol, my last electrickery bill was an even $100. The gas bill a mighty $70.

My first ever power bills as a home owner were $80 per quarter. 1996.

66. Paul “This is the recession Australia had to have” Keating.

I despised that man. He was one of the original “Champagne Socialists.”

67. Bruce of Newcastle says:
    May 29, 2022 at 6:33 pm

Idly wandering the nets of a Sunday evening, I find this one for Johanna:

The HU – This Is Mongol (13 May)

Awesome stuff. Looks like they might have a new album coming.

New Hu!

Thanks, Bruce. A new Uncle Roger and a new Hu in one day, excellent. 🙂

68. Rowan Dean on the Outsiders replaying regularly the footage of police overreach and brutality to remind us, if we did need reminding, of what was a shocking feature of the last two and a bit years

To his credit, Rowan Dean has (repeatedly) blamed the fascist excesses we’ve been subjected to over the last two and a bit years on Goose Morristeen.

I hate Goose Morristeen even more than Kruddles and the Turnbuckle combined.

Execution worthy imbeciles. One more being deserving than the bloated others.

69. I am a consoomerist piggy, not a goldfish style crapping economiste with short arms loooong….pockets.

You could write music to that and have it as a refrain to a chorus, but only as spoken word.

70. Gas is essential if you fancy yourself as any kind of chef as well as a preposterous flamboyant white leather adidas boxing boots clad Canadian Tuxedo Wearer.

Hmmm.
    I just had a vision of 501s tucked into white boxing boots, one hand on the hip just below the high cut Levis jacket, the other hand holding a small frypan and casually tossing a crepe.
    All the while denying that his outfit is extremely … wink, nudge … “eclectic”.

71. The Anal government. Heh.

Using the left’s own practice of naming pollies is fair payback indeedy.

But this is incomplete. The execrable Richard Marles is deputy PM. So by the left’s own rules, he’s Rimar.

So it’s an Anal Rimar government, isn’t it?

72. I am sure you’d know more about that than I, being in NYC where that’s a public health issue.
    Bugger-all drugs in Sainte-Rose, locals seem to grow a little ganga for own use. They sure don’t want to mess with the Gendarmerie.
    The druggies, depraved freaks, degenerates and weirdo perverts are in with you in New York, old chap. Hope you are steering clear of them. Enjoy! That place is flypaper for freaks. This place isn’t.
    I avoid open sewers like NYC.

73. I’d say Keneally got stooged up in Fowler.
    There’s no way the Vietnamese wouldn’t vote the Labor Candidate unless Labor fixers told them not to bother.

74. Best angle for pro gun people in America isn’t the left want to have gun control, they just want to disarm people they disagree with.

It would be a boring, factual ad, but easy to prove and damning.

75. OH SHIT!!

Anyone seen Asmongold read out Johnny Depp’s text saying how Amber Heard is a gold digger who will hit the wall HARD and he will LOVE making her eat crow in court?

76. Even Penny Wong wouldn’t have said ‘money isn’t everything’ to tiny busted-arse Pacific island nations having cash shovelled at them in the manner of a uni student getting a house full of furniture and a $12K credit card from Harvey Norman.

That’s what a hopelessly optimistic and naive person would say.

77. The Hun. There’s a few things in play here:

First Nations elders are furious rapist Adam James Lampton-Nicholls was at an official AFL launch of its Indigenous rounds.

Lampton-Nicholls was photographed alongside the league’s chief financial officer Travis Auld, who has been touted as a potential successor to outgoing chief executive Gillon McLachlan. He was also in a picture to mark the round with First Nations players from across the league.

And Lampton-Nicholls also presented an award to Richmond’s Hugo Ralphsmith for his performance in the VFL Dreamtime match at the MCG last week.

Also in the pictures was the rapist’s mum, 80-year-old ‘Aunty’ (of course) Pam Pedersen, Sir Doug Nicholls’ daughter. Naturally, Mum is on board with her spawn:

The AFL quietly deleted photographs of Lampton-Nicholls this week after it was alerted to his past.
    But his mother Aunty Pam Pedersen said her son had “done his time” and that “everyone deserves a second chance.”

This grub, along with one of his mates raped a woman in a car in South Melbourne over a two hour period in 1998, in a manner the judge later referred to as ‘animalistic’. Here’s Mum, ‘Aunty Pam’, condemning her son for his shit behaviour:

“My son has served his time, what has it got to do with other people?” she said.

He’s a fucking rapist, and should have that tattooed on his forehead to warn women off him for the rest of his life. That’s what it’s got to do with others.

“Everyone deserves a second chance no matter what they have done. My son is such a good community person for the Aboriginal community.”

Not much of a role model, I would have thought.

The AFL said Lampton-Nicholls attended as a carer for his mother and was not paid or hired to appear.

Then why is he in publicity photos, posing with AFL honchos while holding dot-painted footballs and handing out awards to players?

78. Margaret Cunneen is 100% right, of course.

“Sydney lawyer Margaret Cunneen SC says new affirmative consent laws will delay ‘real cases’

Ex-NRL star Jarryd Hayne’s lawyer has panned new consent laws as “unfair for genuine victims” amid concerns an influx of sex cases will further clog the NSW justice system.

Lawyers are bracing for an influx of sexual assault cases in an already stretched judicial system when new consent laws come into effect on Wednesday.

The new NSW laws would mean all parties have to say or do something to give consent before any sexual activity.

Barrister Margaret Cunneen SC, who is representing former NRL star Jarryd Hayne in his third trial on sexual assault allegations, said the new laws would see an influx of sex cases.

“There are so many sex cases in the system now it is just ridiculous and no doubt there will be more because of this,” she said.

She said the influx of new cases would result in delays that “hold up the real cases with merit and be very unfair on genuine victims and anyone wrongly accused has to wait longer to have his or her name to be cleared”.

Margaret Cunneen SC is critical of the new laws, anticipating a delay

Law Society of NSW president Joanne van der Plaat said it was unclear if there would be an increase in prosecutions as a result of the reforms.

“Sexual assault matters already make up a substantial proportion of cases before the District Court,” she said.

“With each of those cases, the Director of Public Prosecutions must be satisfied that any trial has reasonable prospects of success and its prosecution would be in the public interest.

“The Law Society of NSW will monitor the operation of the reforms with interest and looks forward to providing our views when the statutory review of the legislation commences within three years six months of its commencement.”

But NSW Attorney-General Mark Speakman said the government had spent six months with police and courts preparing for when the laws are brought in.

“These reforms are not just about holding perpetrators to account, but changing social behaviour with clearer rules of engagement, therefore driving down the rate of sexual assaults,” he said.

“The NSW Government is working with agencies to ensure judicial officers, lawyers and police are well-informed about the changes to consent law.

“This includes the Judicial Commission of NSW, which provides a continuing education and training program for NSW judicial officers.”

This comes as counsellors said they were expecting a wave of children to come forward with sexual assault claims once consent education becomes mandatory in schools.

Specialist counselling services warned they did not have the capacity for the expected surge, with wait lists already blowing out to 18 months in some parts of the country.

Hayley Foster, chief executive of Full Stop Australia, a charity which advocates for sexual and domestic violence survivors, said services were already chronically underfunded.

“We are a system in crisis,” Ms Foster said.

“The reality is we won’t be able to cope with extra numbers, as we can’t cope now.

“We will be in uncharted territory.”

The Daily Telegraph recently revealed there were long wait list for counsellors and huge black spots across Australia where there were little to no sexual assault services.

Starting next year the new curriculum, which is being rolled out in every state and territory, will look at topics such as age-appropriate consent and respectful relationships.”

Firstly, Cunneen is 100% right of course.

Secondly, these insane laws have been brought in by a so called Liberal government. Note Sleazeman’s words “changing social behaviour“…..pure unadulterated Marxism. Does anyone find such words “Liberal”? I don’t. Since when does a Liberal government try and change “social behaviours”? Liberalism might try and improve social behaviours. This represents, in a nutshell, everything currently wrong wrong with the Liberal Party of Australia.

Thirdly, and this relates to a federal ICAC, last night Cunneen was on Sky’s Chris Smith. She was asked whether she supports a federal ICAC and she said no. We already have processes to deal with corruption. A federal ICAC will quickly become politicised and it will go sniffing and hunting, and it will only sniff and hunt, as in the case with her and others, men and women on the right…which explains why so many on the left want one.

79. Urgh, just go away please.

Liberals hope to woo Gladys Berejiklian to run federally in 2025 (30 May)

The New South Wales Liberals are formulating a plan to woo Gladys Berejiklian into federal politics after the loss of several key moderate seats at the election.

According to the Daily Telegraph, multiple Liberal sources say they hope the former New South Wales Premier will run for the seat of North Sydney in 2025.

And take your teal-coloured politics with you (and the stupid trams).

80. The legal system is no longer about justice, but a weapon to be used to get your way. Lawyers love new laws, make work. In the criminal system they’ve said long ago if there were minimum terms their work would be cut in half. Laws nowadays are made for the few, not the majority. Red and green tape needs destroyed. As we have seen over the last couple of years laws are used arbitrarily, the Constitution is interpreted. If it is not specific it’s not fit for purpose. Politicians abrogate their responsibilities. The ATO make up rules as they go. Natural justice has not been seen but cannot be far away. Some of you will see this as anarchy or a vigilante response but when the justice system does work natural justice is the only thing that does.

81. Wong is a lock, because there’s a fawning media making hay with crinkly-eyed head-tilty photographs, and gushing articles about how she is compassionate, a Lesbian, intelligent, nuanced, a shoo-in PM if it were not for her upperhouse position, a refugee more or less, a proud virgin mother, tough, and principled.
    Under her reign- and I will say reign, because the born-to-rule Left will not act with any less majesty despite a one-seat margin- under her reign, China will romp through the South Pacific, all the way to Canberra, and into our universities, farms, ports, and power system.

82. Wow!

Ramirez is making a point that would make the veins in the left’s head (collectivists only have one) burst.

Usually he is more sensitive to them – like the one-eyed barracking for Ukraine.

Lucky for Rowe that nothing is happening at them moment so he can keep beating his coalition drum.

Actually, I think Rowe might be depicting an ideal world where the government does absolutely nothing. How sweet would that be?

83. Touting Gladys for 2025 means the Libs are completely tone deaf and have learned nothing from this election. She can stand in North Sydney but she will not win. It’s probably better that she stands there rather than have her parachuted into an outer western Sydney safe seat a la KK.

Gladys’ “stuff of dreams” yearning for renewables must be rubbed in her face. To people like her, KK and the Teals doubled or even tripled electricity prices are no big deal, they have the money to cover it. Out west even a modest increase in power prices can be catastrophic.

The loony Libs are still chasing voters who have left them and ignoring their real constituency.

84. Wong is a pollie because she gave up her medical degree after discovering she doesn’t like blood.
    She’ll bleed Australia dry instead.

85. Wally the chinese are already here. Those brown paper bags didn’t get here by themselves. Our politicians are cheaply bought. Politicians are more concerned about what’s for lunch than Australia.

86. … under her reign, China will romp through the South Pacific, all the way to Canberra, and into our universities, farms, ports, and power system.

Wally, they are already here, particularly in universities which are now nothing more than permanent residency factories.

87. ZK2A:

Ruby’s Story: I didn’t want dad jailed, but I was scared he would kill me

Until we give them the respect they deserve, the behavior will continue.
    Anyone see the flaws in the demand?

88. Haha, the daigou have some competition.

Joe Biden Taps Australia for Emergency Baby Formula: Flying 1M+ Cans Across the Pacific (29 May)

Joe Biden announced late Friday that Australia will ship more than 1.25 million cans of baby formula by the planeload to the U.S. to help address the nationwide shortage.

The varieties include “easy-digest” goat’s milk, organic grass-fed cows milk and specialty formulas.

Biden tweeted news the Australian supplier would ultimately fly 22.5 million bottles of formula (there are 22 bottles of formula per can) some 9,700 miles across the Pacific Ocean at his request.

The development came after Jill Biden staged a media photo-op with pallets of baby formula flown in from Germany on Wednesday.

I wonder if Albo can manage to do as much damage in 18 months as Slow Joe has?

89. Western Media Confirming Russia Solidifying Gains in Eastern Ukraine Donbas Region

May 29, 2022 – Sundance

The Associated Press [HERE] and more importantly the U.S. Intel Community outlet, the Washington Post [HERE], are beginning to change direction in their narration of the war in Ukraine.

Both sources of information are starting to position Eastern Ukraine as a lost cause, with the Washington Post giving specific examples of conscripted Ukraine fighters who are abandoning the effort in the donbas region. As noted, “after three months of war, this company of 120 men is down to 54 because of deaths, injuries and desertions. The volunteers were civilians before Russia invaded on Feb. 24, and they never expected to be dispatched to one of the most dangerous front lines in eastern Ukraine.”

The Ukraine commander, Serhi Lapko and one of his lieutenants, Vitaliy Khrus, “retreated with members of their company this week to a hotel away from the front. There, both men spoke to The Washington Post on the record, knowing they could face a court-martial and time in military prison.” Together, Lapko and Khrus describe the essential elements of a fragmented Ukraine fighting force up against a committed Russian military advance.

Even the Washington Post admits the Ukraine central government is desperate to push morale boosting propaganda which seems constructed from the efforts of the U.S. State Dept, specifically the intelligence community within it. “Videos of assaults on Russian tanks or positions are posted daily on social media. Artists are creating patriotic posters, billboards and T-shirts. The postal service even released stamps commemorating the sinking of a Russian warship in the Black Sea.”

90. Today in esoteric Eastern Orthodox Christianity news…

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which was hitherto (since 1990) subordinate to Moscow, has declared its independence and condemned the Patriarch of Moscow for his support of the Russian invasion of Ukrainian territory.

This is particularly significant because the UOC represented that portion of Ukrainian Orthodox who remained loyal to Moscow following the 2018 schism between Moscow and the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (trad. the primus inter pares or first among equals in world Orthodoxy) over the latter’s recognition of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, to which the majority of Ukrainian Orthodox belong.

It remains to be seen whether the two churches will now unite; if they did so it would be the first time since 1685, when the Russians annexed the patriarch of Kiev, that Orthodox Ukrainians – 78% of the population – have belonged to a national church.

91. shatterzzz says:
    May 30, 2022 at 8:00 am

As much as I hate this sort of expenditure, it was going to happen anyway in order to clean up the asbestos etc.

.. but give it 10 years in Aboriginal custody as an attraction and it’ll be ruined &/or shut down. Millions more tax$ spent.

92. I’d say Keneally got stooged up in Fowler.

Between them the two non-Labor Vietnamese candidates in Fowler got c. 48% of the primary vote.

93. “The New York Police Department tracked increases across every major crime category. The city recorded a 41% increase in overall major crime through the first months of 2022 compared to the same period last year, including a nearly 54% increase in robberies, a 56% increase in grand larceny incidents and a 22% increase in rape reports, the data shows.” CNN reported.
    Why on earth would you live there?

94. Kristina Keneally says it out loud.
    She lost because of lockdowns.
    The seat she was going for, Fowler, had “a pox on both houses” as she described the turn from the majors.
    She also claims to know she started to worry due to noticing the “Unusually high” UAP HTV cards being taken.
    Funny what outcomes can be achieved by our uncorruptable voting system , as a few here seem to think it is, when if you ask me, stopping the count before it’s finished and all going home for the night makes the system a complete joke.
    And they’ve been doing it every night.

Somebody has the keys to the tally rooms.

95. I wonder if Albo can manage to do as much damage in 18 months as Slow Joe has?

The executive of the government in a Westminster style constitutional monarchy doesn’t have the level of power that a POTUS does. (Which is more than a bit ironic when you think about it.)

Not that they can’t do a fair amount of wrecking if so inclined, as Whitlam showed. But we know how that ended.

96. The Hun. There’s a few things in play here:

In the early 1980’s, in an outback community in Western Australia, two of the youngfella’s sexually assaulted a young girl. When the local cops investigated, these two loudly declared that they didn’t recognise whitefella law, and would submit to tribal punishment.

With straight faces, the tribal elders announced that the attack was a serious breach of tribal law, and the word “Whistlecock” figured prominently in any tribal punishment. (They had been trying to oust these two for some time.)

Guess who was last seen, almost beating on the door of the local police station…

97. KK lost because, finally, a large group of Labor rustedons who have another, stronger, community bond, said enough of being taken for granted by the Labor party.
    If Chinese voters in Chisholm turned on the liberal party for being unkind to China why wouldn’t Vietnamese Australians vote for Vietnamese candidates?

98. The word “chief” will no longer be used in reference to job titles in the San Francisco Unified School District in an effort, school officials said, to avoid the word’s connotation with Native Americans. A replacement term has not been determined.

If the schools were more dedicated to teaching their students Science, History, English Lit etc their students would learn that ‘chief’ has far wider usage than just in reference to Native American tribes. Who knows, they might even learn why the word chief was used instead of ‘king’ or ‘shaman’ or ‘god’*. Then they might learn some of the distinctions between types of social groups.

Nup. Much better to have them shaking with rage at the cultural appropriation of ‘Chief Executive Officer’, or those skirt-wearing blowhards in Scotland whose clans have had ‘chiefs’ before any of the Scots had even heard of America.

*I know the words are not synonymous. That is the point. They belong to different social dynamics.

99. Rogersays:
    May 30, 2022 at 8:21 am
    I’d say Keneally got stooged up in Fowler.

The Liars were beaten by intersectionality? The local Vietnamese preferred one of their “section” to some whitey blow-in with a strange accent (which also reminded them of the smell of napalm in the morning)?

100. Weren’t we taught as children that respect has to be earned unless you were a royal, then you are born with it. Are they now saying that all Aboriginals are born royal?

On top of that, our meritocratic elite are perfectly fine with the concept of someone being born with privileges that others don’t have.

101. Mark Speakman is a destructive psychopath and a dangerous idiot.

How low can the uniparty get the birth rate for net taxpayers?

I don’t want to leave Australia, but these lunatics are pushing me away.

How do these out of touch idiots think normal couples show affection to each other? It’s like he’s making everyone’s wives commodified like prostitutes.

I don’t want to live in a country where if say your wife intimates intimacy in the morning, then you take over “leading the dance”, you can go to goal for 25 years (NSW).

The current laws are fine and no one goes to gaol in that circumstance.

Keep in mind QLD has life sentences on the books for such “crimes”.

It’s difficult for me not to assume Speakman is an old pathetic SIMP who thinks in his subconscious that this misanthropic but in practice, chiefly midandrist law will get his smol pp touched by his good looking, young, fit, buxom, half Italian secretary.

102. The word Chief is from Old French and adopted by Middle English.

It has zero to do with Native Americans, except as a descriptor by the settlers.

These people are insane. Let’s ban the word “feather” next, as they wear them in traditional headdress.

103. President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called for an investigation of John Kerry for his illegal actions. The DOJ refused.
    Earlier this week the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) published a new memo that confirms even more meetings between John Kerry and the Iranian regime during the Trump administration.
    This is the definition of sedition.

104. Nolte: Masculine, Pro-American ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Blasts to $146M Opening, Towers over Woke Flops

How long before an ex-stewardess remembers Tom Cruise exposing himself to her in 1989?

105. The Oz’s front page story today:

I didn’t want dad jailed, but I was scared he would kill me

By KRISTIN SHORTEN

Today The Australian publishes the second in a three-part series revealing the effects of family violence in remote communities through the life of 21-year-old Ruby, who lived at Yuendumu in the same house for a time as Kumanjayi Walker, shot dead by police in 2019. It’s a confronting story but one that needs to be told.

Ruby was bloodied, badly bruised and could barely walk when she presented to the Yuendumu medical clinic after what would be the final brutal bashing and attempted rape by her father.

The remote area nurses notified local police, who took the teenager to Alice Springs to provide a formal statement.

Soon after – in January 2018 – Ruby’s father, Dean Wilson, was arrested, charged and taken into custody where he remained until his trial in the Supreme Court at Alice Springs in November 2019.

Ruby, two 13-year-old girls who had witnessed her repeated and protracted assaults, and her aunt Serita Ross all gave evidence.

Terrified of seeing her father, Ruby – then 17 – testified from a vulnerable witness box.

“It was really hard (to give evidence),” she said.
    Within a week of being released on parole, Dean Wilson was viciously beating and raping his teenage daughter in a similar way to that in which he had attacked his previous victim.

Where were elders’ voices amid this horror?
    Some raw and unpleasant truths about what really happens in remote communities must be dragged out of the darkness and into the light.

“I couldn’t even face him. I didn’t want to see him. I didn’t even want to take a glance at him.”

On Saturday, The Weekend Australian revealed Ruby’s ­father had brutally bashed and raped her, when she was a teenager, after he was released from prison in September 2017 and moved into the Yuendumu home where she lived with her grandparents.

The 21-year-old this month told The Australian during an interview in far north Queensland – where she now lives – that she hadn’t wanted to send her father back to jail but feared that if he remained free, he would murder her.

“I couldn’t just let him get away with it,” she said.

“I was too scared, like I was ­really trapped. I couldn’t walk anywhere, not even to the shops or anything, without him coming with me.

“I didn’t want him in jail because he’s my dad and I just got him back but I was just too scared that one day he might kill me or something.”

During his trial, Wilson admitted to much of the physical violence but denied the sexual offending.

“It is likely you had mixed motivations for the physical assaults at the time,” judge Jenny Blokland said during sentencing.

“Overall, you have used what apparent discipline rights you thought you could exercise over your biological daughter to control her, or at least control elements of her lifestyle. There is a substantial deal of irony in your claims about your rights to discipline her, given you had so little to do with her upbringing.”

Speaking about one night when Wilson had assaulted Ruby at Yuendumu, Judge Blokland said the abuse had been protracted, prolonged and involved the use of weapons.

“After a terrifying drive home, you continued the assaults at (Ruby’s) home, compromising her safety and security, much of it in front of the two younger (girls),” she said.

“You showed no mercy when (Ruby) called for help or showed distress.

“The blows were directed to vulnerable parts of her body.

“She was your daughter and could have expected to be protected by you. This was the opposite of protection.”

Judge Blokland said Wilson’s final assault on Ruby, in bushland outside Alice Springs in early 2018, was “in the higher range of aggravated assaults that may be comprehended”.

“The use of the rock and a number of assaults … in an isolated area for the purpose of effecting a rape on your daughter means this must be regarded as a higher end level of assault,” she said.

“In terms of the attempted rape, it was – overall – a violent, indecent, frightening event which took place in an isolated area.

“(Ruby) had to fight you off and threaten to call the police before you would stop.”

Judge Blokland described Ruby as a “well-behaved, well-adapted young person” who – before the assaults – “was a happy girl with lots of friends” and wanted to be an artist or a nurse.

“She feels great shame because you are her father, and you should not have offended against her,” she said.

“She now feels she cannot trust people and feels haunted by all of the circumstances which surrounded the offending and its consequences.”

The Supreme Court judge said Ruby now “feels trapped and feels she cannot go anywhere”.

“She cannot go back to Yuendumu where she grew up, as it no longer feels like home, and she has certain apprehensions about your family as well,” she said.

“Although the attitude of the family cannot be sheeted home to you in sentencing, it is a consequence of the offending that (Ruby) can no longer rely on parts of the extended family due to their mixed loyalties to you.”

Revenge mission

On December 3, 2019 – following his five-day trial – Wilson was found guilty on all six counts of physically and sexually assaulting his daughter, and attempting to rape her.

The next day, his brother Darren Wilson armed himself with an axe and “marched angrily down the main road at Yuendumu” looking for those who had “got my brother locked up”.

Specifically, Darren Wilson sought “payback” against Ruby’s aunt Serita, who had taken the teenager to receive medical treatment and supported her niece in speaking to police.

Serita’s aunt Teresa had also supported Serita and Ruby – telling both of the younger women “not to be afraid and to be strong” – in giving evidence at Dean Wilson’s trial.

So the day after his conviction – December 4, 2019 – Darren Wilson went straight to the Yuendumu Primary School where Serita worked and after finding her in the staff kitchen, kicked down the door and threatened to kill her with the axe.

Axe attack

Before Darren Wilson reached the school, Yuendumu resident Steven Kelly had spotted him storming down the street and yelled out, “Hey, are you all, right?”

“They put my brother in for 20 years,” Wilson shot back. “They told liar stories about him.

“I’m going to the school. I’m going to hit Serita,” he said before lifting his shirt to show Mr Kelly the axe tucked into his pants.

Mr Kelly – knowing Wilson’s violent history – immediately feared for Serita.

When Darren reached the primary school, he spotted the 32-year-old Serita in the breakfast room.

“Stand there. Wait,” he angrily yelled at her.

Terrified, she started banging on the door and begging her colleague – identified in court only as AB – to open it.

She then rushed into the adjoining room and tried to close the door behind her, but Wilson kicked it open.

“I’m going to kill you. You got my brother locked up,” he yelled as he pulled the axe out from under his shirt.

“My brother, he’s in jail. You mob been put him in jail for 20 years,” he accused her.

AB jumped in front of Serita to try to protect her while Wilson repeatedly threatened to kill her.

“I’m going to kill you,” he yelled. “I’m going to kill you right here.”

The 39-year-old – who has a lengthy criminal history for violent offences – then “forcefully swung the axe” over the top of AB and struck Serita on the back of the head with it.

As blood gushed from her wound, she pulled her mobile phone from her pocket to call the police.

Serita – terrified and screaming – then tried to block her face with her arms and mobile phone as Wilson again swung the axe, but this time towards her face.

He smashed her phone and Serita somehow escaped from the room.

Supreme Court documents say Serita “ran for her life” to the primary school’s main office while AB tried to block Wilson from chasing her.

A teacher gave Serita, who could not stop shaking, a towel to stem the bleeding from her head.

She took off her blood-soaked T-shirt and put on a clean one so as to not scare any students who saw her.

Wilson then left the school grounds in search of 62-year-old Teresa.

“Where’s Teresa?” he yelled.

“I’m gonna kill her.”

Serita’s daughter heard about what had happened and phoned Teresa to warn her that Wilson was on his way to her work.

Court documents reveal that Teresa was “frightened for her life”.

She immediately left work, collected her children and grandchildren, took them home and locked all of the doors.

Police arrested Wilson later that day.

After-effects

Court documents reveal Wilson made a “spontaneous admission” to police that he hit Serita on the head with an axe because she had accused his brother of rape.

However, he refused to tell police where the axe was because he was afraid they would obtain his fingerprints from it and charge him with other offences.

In 2020, Wilson pleaded guilty to causing harm to Serita, threatening to kill Teresa and possession of a controlled weapon in a public place.

Serita said, in her first written victim impact statement, that she was “so scared for my life”.

“I thought he was going to kill me for real,” she wrote.

Serita said she still “can’t stop shaking” from the incident and worrying about what would happen to her kids if he killed her.

“I’m scared, if he gets out, he will try to kill me again,” she said.

“He tried to kill me because I gave evidence against his brother, who raped his own daughter.

“He’s blaming me for Dean going to jail.”

In her second victim impact statement, Serita said she had lost a lot of blood and was still experiencing severe pain.

“My head is really sore,” she wrote.

“I have lots of pain when I lay down and the shower stings it.

“It’s paining all the time.”

She said the attack had left her fearful, shocked and unable to return to work.

“I can’t sleep, because I keep thinking, ‘What if he killed me? What would happen to my kids?’,” she wrote.

“I gave evidence to help my niece. I didn’t tell any lies about his brother, Dean.

“His brother did the wrong thing. Not my fault. He should get five years’ jail for trying to kill me.”

Unhealthy pattern

During sentencing judge Judith Kelly said Darren Wilson – who was “clearly a very dangerous person” due to his lengthy criminal history of violent offences – had intended to cause Serita life-threatening injuries or injuries that would be long-standing.

“These offences strike at the very heart of the administration of justice, because the reason that you were trying to seriously injure Serita and the reason you threatened to kill Teresa was because they had given evidence here, in a court of law, in the Supreme Court, under a subpoena,” Justice Kelly said.

“They were obliged to give that evidence and they gave truthful evidence.”

Justice Kelly said the offences were “made more serious” for a number of reasons, including that his victim, Serita, was female.

“This seems to be a pattern with you; assaulting women; a very unhealthy pattern,” she said.

“She is an extended family member of yours. You attacked her while she was at work.

“She was at work in a primary school on a school day. There were little kids around. They should not be exposed to that sort of thing.”

Justice Kelly said Wilson’s attack with a deadly weapon was “determined”.

“You kept going after her. You kicked the door down to get at her. You kept threatening her and you hit at her more than once with the axe,” she said.

“You aimed at a particularly vulnerable part of her body, like her head and face.

“Goodness knows what would have happened if that mobile phone had not got in the way.

“She thought she was going to die.”

“It is likely to have the effect of frightening people into not wanting to give evidence in serious sex offence cases against children, and possibly other violent offences as well,” she said.

“The threat to kill is made more serious, obviously, by the fact that you said it with an axe in your hand, after you had just used that axe to attack somebody else.

“And again, that it is that threat to the administration of justice.”

In November 2020, Justice Kelly sentenced Darren Wilson to a total term of imprisonment of 10 years with a non-parole period of five years for his attack on Serita and threat to kill Teresa.

Dean Wilson was sentenced last May to 18 years in prison with a non-parole period of 15 years for abusing his daughter Ruby.

Continuing threats

In an exclusive interview with incoming Alice Springs Country Liberal senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price, for a documentary Senator Price is making called Yimi Junga, Serita said she felt safe now that Darren Wilson was locked up, but “his mother wants to fight me”.

“And many other people in his family were threatening to beat me up,” she said

“They are still threatening me at Yuendumu.”

Meanwhile, up in far north Queensland, Ruby’s life has ­spiralled out of control.

ON TUESDAY: CHAPTER 3

106. Eyriesays:
    May 30, 2022 at 8:14 am
    I wonder if Albo can manage to do as much damage in 18 months as Slow Joe has?

Easily.

$45bn Labor spree sparks ratings warning

Labor risks putting the country’s triple-A credit status in danger if it races to implement nearly $45bn in “off-balance-sheet” election promises, one of the top rating agencies warns.

The AFR View

Labor must reverse-engineer a mandate for fiscal repair

It will take much more than surprise, surprise post-election announcements of the dire budget outlook to properly repair Australia’s tattered fiscal policy.

The new Labor government has said mostly the right things on Australia’s fiscal challenge. In post-election mode, new Treasurer Jim Chalmers and Finance Minister Katy Gallagher have switched to warning about the more “dire” position of the federal budget and the “huge” spending pressures – such as on health care, aged care, disability services and defence – building up over the rest of the decade. As urged by The Australian Financial Review, Anthony Albanese has recommitted his government to the Coalition’s legislated stage-three personal tax cuts that will leave most taxpayers paying no more than 30¢ in every extra dollar earned by mid-2024.

Nostalgic for Bill Shorten’s attacks on the big end of town, Labor true believers will damn this as just a tax break for the rich. But the less well-off will not be helped by piling more tax penalties on enterprise and aspiration as Australia seeks to compete in the post-pandemic world.

As well, Mr Albanese has ruled out mimicking the special tax on the “excess” profits of oil and gas companies by the supposedly Conservative government in the UK. If Labor is to turn from fiscal poacher into gamekeeper, it should avoid knee-jerk resort to cargo-cult nostalgia, such as thinking the budget problems would have been solved by the Rudd government’s “super-profits” mining tax. Instead, amid a global energy crisis, Australia has an opportunity to supply most of the extra gas that the world will demand on its low carbon transition.

Amid these correct calls on tax, however, it will take much more than surprise, surprise post-election announcements of the dire budget outlook to properly repair Australia’s tattered fiscal policy. The truth is that Labor must bear much of the responsibility for the quarter of a century of budget deficits that began under Treasurer Wayne Swan during the global financial crisis in 2008-09 and that are now projected to continue beyond 2032-33.

Fear of a “Mediscare”, or scaremongering about supposed “austerity”, was a major factor in the Coalition’s meek refusal under Scott Morrison and Josh Frybenberg to map out a credible plan for budget repair in the tradition of the Howard-Costello government. With no correction, Labor’s spending monuments – Gonski school funding and the out-of-control National Disability Insurance Scheme – have baked a structural budget deficit into the pandemic’s supposedly temporary fiscal expansion. Labor’s election promises in aged care and childcare have further inflated public expectations about the “free and universal” things that governments can provide voters.

Now that fiscal reality has begun to bite, Labor needs to re-anchor the budget expectations that have been completely unanchored by the massive pandemic spendathon.

With no credibility on budget responsibility and having run a small-target election campaign, reverse-engineering a Labor mandate for fiscal repair will not be easy to reconcile with new promises of relief for cost-of-living pressures. This must begin by constructing a fiscal framework – akin to the Hawke-Keating “trilogy” – to re-anchor expectations after the previous fiscal rule of balancing the budget over the course of the economic cycle was trashed by the pandemic. Labor has further regressed by rejecting the Coalition’s only remaining budget anchor: the 23.9 per cent tax to GDP cap.

To start to get things back on track, Labor’s line-item review by Treasury and the Department of Finance needs to be backed with robust cost-benefit analysis of new spending promises, including for its promised childcare subsidies. This must walk back the rhetoric that portrayed reining in the National Disability Insurance Scheme – set to cost $65 billion by the end of the decade – as an attack on the disabled. It must start to reduce spending now to stop further inflationary fiscal expansion colliding with the Reserve Bank’s monetary policy tightening.

Then Labor should support not only a tax cap, but commit to reversing the increase in government spending as a percentage of GDP. And it should commit during its first term to a credible plan for a return to surplus by the end of the decade to start rebuilding the nation’s fiscal buffers and to stop throwing more borrowed money on the nation’s public debt pile.

107. Affirmative consent laws are one of the worst manifestations of “social justice” drivel. You can just about guarantee it will be weaponised against men, and men only, doing nothing other than clog up the courts and drive more males away from society. It strikes me as pretty much a definitive example of a unworkable law.

That’s even if there’s a general awareness the law has been changed. I’d doubt a couple of drunks hooking up on a friday night are going to care to obey.

108. Wilson’s threat to kill Teresa was also made more serious by a number of factors, Justice Kelly said.

“And again, that it is that threat to the administration of justice.”

A real, nasty problem.

SWPL pussy boy Mark Speakman invented a first world problem, making relationships and raising children more problematic for normal people.

I truly hope Speakman’s descendants live in interesting times. I hope he comes to the attention of those in high places. Finally, let’s all hope he finds what he is looking for.

Basta!

109. I didn’t want dad jailed, but I was scared he would kill me

Somebody mind explaining how a “voice” in Parliament, will solve any of this issue?

110. My advice is not to get married or have a serious relationship in NSW.

As for hooking up, record verbal consent and use documentary evidence (texts, messages). Even record your activities for the night but get written consent (you need sobriety here) for that and don’t shag anyone more drunk than you are, safer to both be sober. Netflix and chill. Don’t meet at the pub.

111. … amid a global energy crisis, Australia has an opportunity to supply most of the extra gas that the world will demand on its low carbon transition.

Let’s see what the Greens have to say about that.

They’ve already flagged a levy on coal exports.

112. I suppose she has to do it for domestic political reasons, but Wong is wasting her time in the Pacific.

The China-Pacific Island Countries Climate Action Cooperation Center was officially launched at the end of April.

Hidden away in the CCP MiniTruth promise of Chinese altruism and free money lies an accidental truth about what the helpless little brown people can do for themselves:

They could also change the traditional marine management model, to rent out marine space in exchange for necessary economic support, and require the lessee to manage the region with high standards.

Translation: Cash for Big Fellas, Chinese factory ships trawl every living thing off the reefs.

Traditional.

113. Burger Prices to Remain High as Cattle Ranchers Shrink Herds

Burgers and steaks are set to stay pricey as U.S. cattle ranchers shrink their herds, further constraining U.S. beef production in the months ahead.

Rising costs for feed and other expenses are leading ranchers to sell their calves into feedlots at a faster pace, according to federal data, leaving fewer cattle available for slaughter later this year and in 2023. . . Beef production in 2023 is expected to decline 7% and cattle prices are expected to increase to record highs, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said this month.

If you have a freezer (and backup generation for the likely summer rolling blackouts coming our way), stock up on beef now.

114. From a very reliable source, I know that it was over 65000 UAP HTV cards gone before prepolling requiring HQ to urgently print more, yet they got no votes!

No votes?
    The AEC says 524,000 votes for UAP.
    Oh, and a quick bit of advice. Citing the perennial whinger KKK as a reliable source probably won’t cut it around here.

115. Sheesh, like I’ve never been denounced here before as a rampant poof

A non-rampant poof is not much use to anybody. Unless the house needs vacuuming.

116. Also extremely ignorant, despite their (often Ivy League) wackademic credentials.

More educational opportunities than ever delivers us fewer knowledgeable people. It’s a mystery!

117. Dotsays:
    May 30, 2022 at 9:02 am
    My advice is not to get married or have a serious relationship in NSW.

Vic beat NSW to it, the laws were amended last year (I think, might’ve been earlier).

118. A woke marxist review of TG Maverick from Maryanne Johanson, much loved at the BBC and PBS.

Of course it’s true that movies like this, in which Hollywood cheerleads for American imperialism, have always been problematic. (We could probably say much the same about Cruise’s Mission: Impossible movies, for starters.) But the world has changed, rapidly and almost beyond recognition, since this movie wrapped production, three years ago. (The coronavirus pandemic delayed it seeing the light of day.) Even just since its release was finally being arranged mere months ago. The United States blithely invading and attacking anyone it wants to on the flimsiest of provocations looks ever more obviously hypocritical when it condemns Russia for doing the same. (Of course I oppose the Russian attack on Ukraine. But I also opposed the US invasion of Afghanistan.) A celebration of way-cool tech, regardless of how deadly its sole purpose is, is incredibly difficult to swallow in the wake of two mass shootings in the US, the likes of which occur regularly solely because enough American politicians and their suck-up sycophants in the media are in the thrall of a powerful gun lobby and the bizarre notion that guns are awesome and manly and powerful.

There isn’t a single difference between celebrating a Super Hornet jet fighter the way Top Gun: Maverick does and celebrating an AR-15 the way the NRA does. And that should worry us profoundly.

Great movie which will make a pile of cash and leave Maryanne all sad that her years of corrosion have had little impact on what people like to watch. Win win.

119. Weren’t we taught as children that respect has to be earned unless you were a royal, then you are born with it. Are they now saying that all Aboriginals are born royal?

Back when I were but a pup there was a faint mystique about Aborigines. We would go on school excursions and have thing pointed out on the way such as where paintings or carvings were found and such, we read in books about how they lived in pre-colonial times, we had visits to our school by a guy who told us about how they made things and did a bit of a display of boomerang throwing and didgeridoo playing (never stopped for a breath!) and so on.

Sadly, what I have seen since does not engender respect. More pity. Penned up in cages of ‘respect for their culture’ where the individuals are props so they can pretend it is a ‘living’ culture.

You have seen those people wringing their hands and bewailing the sad fate of animals in zoos – animals like lions, elephants, zebras – animals commanded by their very DNA to play out the ancient drama of struggle, survival, contest, birth, and death. Seeing them in small cages, hemmed in by concrete, treading a concrete floor, no need to strive, no chance to feel the rush of blood, never feasting, never hungry. Sickened. Self-harming. Miserable.

That is what our betters want for Aborigines. But they do it on purpose because the longer they linger in this wretched twilight of existence the more whitey can be cajoled into coughing up money for the elite few.

120. Even record your activities for the night but get written consent (you need sobriety here) for that and don’t shag anyone more drunk than you are…

Screams out for a Intimate Consent Inspectorate.

Feeling frisky?

121. Hey Zeus !
    Where’s Metallica?

For Rabz:
    Jackson Browne?
    George Thorogood & The Destroyers?
    Alice Cooper?
    Led Zeppelin?
    & ABBA?

122. Dial 1800 CONSENSUAL and one of our certified inspectors will be round to supervise your safe and satisfying sexual experience.

Sounds like an NRL team bonding night.

123. Doc Faustus:

Yep. Welcome to the prawn buffet, Chinese style. Where you take what you can carry, not what you can eat and to hell with everyone else including the next generation.
    The world’s tolerance of Chinese strip mining of the oceans is going to come back and bite our arses big time.