Rabz’ Radio Show June 2022: Seventies Rock and Roll 1969-1978

Not a lot to say about this one, it’s quite self explanatory.

Flares, long hair, massive quantities of illicit substances and many, many guitars, leavened with as much self-indulgence as required.

Without even initially realising it, some of my favourite ever songs fit neatly into this genre, by artists such as Bowie, the Stones, Lou, Iggy and the Stooges, the Who, Alice Cooper and Heart, to name a few off the top of my head.

To start off, here’s a shout out to the Hollyweirdo otherwise known as the Amber one, she of the mighty recent defamation imbroglio. Iggy and the Stooges said it best, back in 1973 from their epic LP “Raw Power”.

Bizarrely, the opening track “Search and destroy” another stone cold rock classic, popped up in 1996 as the soundtrack to the official Nike ad for the Atlanta Olympics. If I can find the video it will be posted in the comments.

The second intro song is this absolute banger, courtesy of that legendary student of the history of American Socialism, Alice Cooper (see Wayne’s World for the reference).

Enjoy Cats, break out those Gibbos and Strats!

127 thoughts on “Rabz’ Radio Show June 2022: Seventies Rock and Roll 1969-1978”

1. Nelson_Kidd-Playerssays:
    June 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
    Charted in 1980, but first performed in 1979. Enjoy before Rabz kicks me off the blog.

Heard that for the first time as we drove into Perth, between Midland and Guildford.

2. Joe Dolce is sympathetic to our political tastes. Has he visited The Çat?

Not since I gave him a bollocking for that monstrous piece of racist idiocy, back on the ol’ Cat about seven years ago.

Got all huffy, he did.

There are few things on this planet that infuriate me more than imbeciles attempting to portray Italionos as stupid wogs.

Not having it.

Or you can always take it up with Tints and JC, should you be so inclined.

3. IF you’ve seen me dancing, you were dreaming, Callie. Three left feet. I never got into ELO, but cannot recall switching them off. Pleasant enough to listen to but never passed the Motown test*. Instead I’ll spin this hit, which wasn’t even their biggest one referencing telephonetic devices, but was in the seventies.

* The Motown test: Will you forgo spending your lunch money on food to buy this single? If you at least think about it, then the song passes the test.

4. This is a thread about the seventies, peoples (again).

Gloating about one’s appalling taste is not relevant.

We would not be here otherwise. 🙂

5. No worries, Rabz, stereotypes can be a bit of fun. My mother-in-law is not Italian, but comes from a location further east. She probably is closer to Weird Al’s representation (err… ’80s) than Joe’s. Ah, doesn’ matter…

My classmate got to strap his L plates on his brother’s Ferrari back in the day as a change from piloting his Dad’s orange Valiant wagon. This skip didn’t get such opportunities, but I have ridden in a Dacia. 🙂

6. Can’t post links, for some reason, but, for anyone who ever woke up with the hangover from Hell, and wondering who the Hell was in his bed..or whose bed he was in… Kris Kristoffersen “Sunday Morning Coming Down.”

7. No Roxy Music mentioned yet. Or Thin Lizzy.
    Nor those great dinosaur bands, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc.
    Any the stuff that’s been posted already has been fantastic, but I’ve gotta pull up stumps.

8. Fox on the run!

9. I remember listening to that on my little transistor radio. Listening to 3BO Bendigo, back when they shut down at 9pm each night.

Ah yes, the delight of surreptitiously listening under the covers past midnight for those lucky enough to receive 24-hour transmission.

Only to be awoken at 2:45 to groggily turn off the still-running radio. I think mine was a hand-me-down Healing with a metal slider over the dial section.

10. I remember listening to that on my little transistor radio. Listening to 3BO Bendigo, back when they shut down at 9pm each night.

Boarding school, in the early 70’s. Loud outbursts of laughter, from those listening to “The Goon Show” under the blanket’s after “Light’s Out.”

11. I just re-read the title of this thread to realise the seventies were over by 1979! {Redface} Fair enough, as many of my suggestions did have more of an eighties feel about them. Naughty corner for me. With my transistor radio stuffed up my jumper, though.

12. NKP – the greatest Ozzie Rock ‘n’ Roll tune, evah.

Poor ol’ Wheaters. Hounded to his untimely demise by those evil envious mediocrities infesting the ATO.

What you can do with that song live is as profound as your imagination … 🙂

13. And this might lead us back tomer drills.

Or pudding, but only if you’ve eaten your meat.

I like Run Like Hell, of which the instrumental part was used for ‘filler’ promotion spots between shows, possibly Saturday-morning cartoons. I remember the visuals featuring NZ jet boats spinning out too but am not sure those visuals match that music or another tune, perhaps Fanfare for the Common Man. They ran a few different ones at different times.

14. NKP – FFS

Ronny Raygun: “Hey, the Gorbachove – tear down this wall, I asks (tells?) ya”

The Gorbachove: “Ishney kavolryhtiodf grbleedbsifove, I zxodezeah ye”

The rest of their incomprehensible drivellings apparently, somehow constitutes the “End of History”.

Yet here we are – with big fat (allegedly) dead commies slavering over this landmass, most of which has already been gifted to their sleeper agents.

Our beloved politicians, peoples – a solution to their unrepentant unrelenting treasonous idiocy needs to be “magicked up” and very soon.

Otherwise, they’ll be gifted with HOP Time. The latter will be, of course, what they deserve.

Think il Duce and the Service Station, 1945. A “Regrettable” incident, yet it just had to happen.

15. Bruce – I loved Aunty Jack. Could never be made today, certainly not by the ABC.

Bowie was magnificent in his own interesting way. I was checking out a track last night and found this:

Now We Are Six was produced by Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson, although he admitted that his part in the making of the album was minimal except for a little supervision and the invitation of David Bowie to play the saxophone.[2]

That’s an album by Steeleye Span from 1974, which fitted Rabz’ period. How about that: both Tull and Bowie contributed! Here’s a track from it:

Steeleye Span – Thomas The Rhymer (2016 live)

Steeleye Span also managed to get Peter Sellers to play the ukulele on one of their tracks:

The band continued the whimsical streak demonstrated on Now We Are Six by inviting comedian and actor Peter Sellers to play the ukulele on the closing track, ‘New York Girls’. The band decided that it wanted a ukulele on the song, but no one in the band knew anyone who played the instrument. Finally someone remarked that Sellers was known to play it competently, and they decided to approach him to appear on the song, even though none of them knew him at all. To their surprise, he agreed, and the song became one of only two recordings he made with a rock band.

Getting Bowie and Sellers to do music for you is something else. OTOH Maddie Pryor has one of the most electrifying voices in rock, so I can see why mere mortals like David and Peter might want to be associated with her. 😀

16. Bowie was magnificent in his own interesting way

Always. Probably my favourite Rock ‘n’ Roll legend.

Sound ‘n’ Vision.

The man could move effortlessly between guitar laden R ‘n’R, some of the most beautiful love songs ever and anything in between.

17. Someone mentioned Steele Span upthread.

Listened to them many a night in Broome, radio glued to the ABC, atmospheric crackling and fading just adding to the overall effect, while I sat at the kitchen table marking, or writing up my programs or daily work pad.

One of my favourites.

18. This was really very late 60s, but only became popular in the 70s. We used to have competitions to see who could keep their foot tapping in time with the drummer’s, just through the solo. No-one ever managed it. Try it.

19. This was really very late 60s, but only became popular in the 70s

Iron Butterfly. Wasn’t the guitarist 17, when he joined the group?