1,915 thoughts on “Open Thread – Tues 7 June 2022”

1. Fake news/crap is corrosive, no matter if it’s from the left or the Right. Stamp it out!

FMD, pot, kettle…………………………………….JC

2. But it is alarming how all- and I mean ALL- of the European looking men are overweight, unshaven, slobby and stupid.

I thought it was just my friends.

3. There are frequent and numerous stories about the negative effects of renewables and the impact of western policy toward energy.

JC, the amazing gymnastics going on inside News Corp are fascinating:

1. The company hasn’t banned factual reporting on energy policy.

2. News Corp commercial management has taken a decision to campaign, independent of the company’s journalists, for renewable energy.

3. By taking the leftist position on renewables etc, News Corp management is taking the position supported by 90%+ of its journalists, leftists who would never dream of thinking for themselves and therefore violating leftist tribal rules (which require absolute, unquestioned conformity).

Therefore, you can continue to get credible reporting on climate/energy policy in News Corp outlets, even though the company’s commercial management is campaigning for renewables and, by default, higher electricity prices.

In any sane company, that would at least be called cognitive dissonance!

4. Big Boy’s Rules. So sad too bad. They thought it was ok to kill Russians. Pity the same thing didn’t happen to that piece of crap David whatever in Afganistan.

5. Frank says:
    June 10, 2022 at 11:50 am

Not a good idea to let the passport expire for too long. I had an out of date one that exceeded the time limit (10 years I think) and at that point you are not able to use it as ID to get a renewal. Found myself in the position of not being able to prove I was an Australian without original naturalisation documentation that was not in my possession and sitting in a box (interstate) somewhere from the seventies. At such times it becomes apparent how maliciously unhelpful the bureaucracy can be when it wants. Despite a mass of supporting ID like banks, drivers licenses and so on it comes down to a “computer says no” followed by a blank stare and chewing of the cud while they wait for you to go away.

Tell me about it.

Although my family came to Australia in the late 1950s, every time I encounter a bank or a government agency I have to prove who I am, because the first name I have used since Infants school (my middle name) is not the same as the one on my birth certificate.

No matter how many times I have done it before, producing the stat decs, each time I have to do it again.

If only my name was Ali Ali.

6. Please lets not rehash the mask are Ace!!! wars.
    Heres the best information, from the 2019 Australian government pandemic plan on masks.

Healthcare settings
    High-quality evidence to support the use of PPE in healthcare settings is scarce. Although some studies indicate a benefit of surgical masks and respirators in preventing influenza infection, many studies show no significant benefit from their use. Healthcare workers show varying levels of compliance with the use of surgical masks and respirators. As the effectiveness of masks and respirators is particularly dependent on compliance and correct usage, low compliance has been cited by one systematic review as the likely cause of the low effectiveness of masks and respirators demonstrated by some studies

And thats in healthcare settings, what about the general public.

High-quality evidence to support the use of PPE in community settings is scarce. Although some studies support the benefit of surgical masks and respirators in preventing influenza infection, many studies show no significant benefit from their use.

Use of face masks and respirators in Initial Action stage.. Whole population
    Resource implication… Massive
    Pros: May reduce community transmission. If high adherence, may delay epidemic peak or decrease epidemic size. May empower population* (ability to take personal protective action).
    Cons: Requires enormous stockpile. Major logistical difficulties of distribution. Large resources required for risk communication on how to use masks appropriately. Huge amounts of waste created. May lead to disregard of other protective actions (e.g. hand hygiene or social distancing) through feeling of being protected
    Notes
    Limited evidence to support this measure.
    • Compliance unlikely to be high unless severity is high.
    • No culture of mask wearing in Australia.
    • Type of mask (respirator or surgical mask) needs to be defined.
    • If inadequate stocks, homemade masks could be used; large effort required to communicate how to make and use homemade masks.

In effect evidence is poor.

*Homeopathic medicine.

7. JC
    thanks for the clarification on Murdoch sons. I did some googling and Lachlan seems fairly solid but James is a bit regressive.

And I think that Murdoch Senior wouldn’t be reporting such great stories (about renewballs for example) if there weren’t a market for it – and there obviously is! But for the first time ever, I don’t see Murdoch as a conservative or regressive owner, but rather as a clever capitalist who knows how to capture broad, alternate and niche market attention. Good on him!

8. In the face of this, I find it difficult not to be resentful of the spite and derision levelled at the unvaccinated who have refused to submit to a process that, to them, seemed possibly fatal. On the other hand, I have the utmost sympathy for those who, in spite of their own reservations, were required to submit to vaccination to keep their employment and provide for their families. There is no question that these people should be supported.

Thanks Vicki. I agree with pretty much all of your comment except the bit I have bolded. I have watched the opposite happening here, possibly because I’m looking at it from the other side of the vaccination coin.

You have not been called names and your integrity questioned. How could it? You are a sensible, kindly person. Perhaps you haven’t noticed that I have been called “insane” and cowardly and my words “atrocious behaviour”. All because I am vaccinated.

None of the vaccinated contributors to this blog have called the unvaccinated names. Not one. Some, including me, have pushed back against the shrill, demented denouncing by one commenter. Most of them with humour but for some the whole miserable thing is wearing wafer thin.

There are many unvaccinated people here who comment, and they have my respect, not because of a chemical they either have or do not have in their systems, but because of their good character that has remained consistent throughout. Ditto the vaccinated.

9. Sorry, the bolding didn’t appear to work. This was the bit:

10. In any sane company, that would at least be called cognitive dissonance!

Yes Tom, I agree but just look at Sky with Dilbert and Clannel (or formerly Spews) on during the day giving soft interviews to Elbow and “Charmer” – and then Rowan and Rita at night… Dilbert and Clannal give those at home during the day something to agree with whilst the rest of us, not living in imaginary land, work hard to get home to watch some Rita and Rowan… I think Sky planned it beautiful and good touch by producers/management to capture largest market share.

Some might argue that’s devoid of ethics, but I think it’s a brilliant strategy.

Although my nightly fix of Tucker is fast radicalising me to what’s called common sense. 😛

11. Losing a SCOTUS Justice to assassination & rapid insertion of a Biden choice onto the bench, that’s one conspiracy theory too far.

For that theory to hold water, you’d first have to see the White House & Fed govt allowing mobs to turn up at the homes of SCOTUS justices and there to unfiltered public conversation about killing one or more judges.

12. Please do not take offence. Very early in the piece I opined that the vaccination issue would cause a huge rift in the Cat.

13. Gee, imagine a pubic serpent being in favor of higher taxes…

Treasury boss’s quiet message: Higher taxes are the cure for our budget blues
    Ross Gittins
    Economics Editor
    Sure, but how do you get the deficit down? The government will be reviewing all the spending programs left by the Coalition, looking for savings. But what savings it finds will mainly be used to pay for Labor’s promised new spending.

So the main way to improve the budget balance will be by “raising additional tax revenues”. Kennedy implied that this would be done by reducing businesses’ and households’ tax concessions.

And this, this is where we are.

Ardern says consensus on climate is ‘good for our region and good for the world’
    By Katina Curtis

Further from joint Anthony Albanese and Jacinda Ardern press conference, Ardern says she is heartened by Australia’s new position on climate change, saying the issue is the number one threat for the Pacific.

“It is good for our region and good for the world when we work collaboratively on this extraordinary challenge,” she said.

“So it’s incumbent on us to do our bit. I know with regards to New Zealand we have a lot more to do, but we welcome being joined on that journey by Australia.”

Albanese says he feels like Australia “has got out of the naughty corner” in terms of the international reaction to what it was doing on climate.

We’ve been in the naughty corner for nine years. And the consequences of that, we are feeling right now with the energy crisis that is here in this country,” he says.

Low rent mong.

14. Just imagine elected officials of the federal US government inciting a mob to riot outside where public officials are housed, chanting that they want to hang one in particular, to achieve their seditious aims of overthrowing the democratic system. I imagine if that ever happened, you lot would condemn those politicians in the strongest possible terms.

Fatboy, are you referring to Portland or Seattle?

15. Okay – the acres of scrollable tit for tat and denouncements aren’t a rift.

They’re a distraction from more important things like fighting over pizza toppings and scatter cushions.

16. Okay – the acres of scrollable tit for tat and denouncements aren’t a rift.

Except, if you remove the redneck’s comments and replies, there was some friction, but I wouldn’t call it a huge rift.

17. None of the vaccinated contributors to this blog have called the unvaccinated names. Not one.

Hmmm. Who could it be? Why so coy? Name names!

I am with Mother Lode on this. I really don’t care. If someone wants to wallow in some imaginary bruise-free martyrdom, fill your boots.

18. Monty your rake seeking is incomparable…

You first Monty…

Nolte: Hours After Kavanaugh Threat, Biden Predicts ‘Mini Revolution’ If Roe Overturned

You want to see what a left-wing mini-revolution looks like…?

Report: Antifa Attacks a Crisis Pregnancy Center in Portland: ‘F*ck CPC’
    Report: Pregnancy Center Vandalized with Threatening, Pro-Abortion Messages
    Report: Perp Vandalizes Crisis Pregnancy Center in Washington, Leaves Menacing Message
    Crisis Pregnancy Center Attacked on Facebook After Patricia Heaton Tweets Support
    Report: Madison Anti-Abortion Headquarters Set on Fire, Vandalized, Graffitied

19. Wife has said her goodbyes to her Dad. She was shocked by how much her Mother was worn down caring for her Dad. She had always put on a brave face on Whatsapp. Couldn’t hide it in person. Wife brought back her Grandfather’s binoculars he used as a reconnaissance observer before he was a pilot in WWI.

20. Well, I have. But the point is, no-one has copped any flak because they are vaccinated.

That doesn’t make sense. It isn’t what I see in the Daily Denouncement.

21. Weak as water!

Ms Ardern has repeatedly criticised the harsh implementation of Section 501 of the Migration Act which deports New Zealand citizens who commit crimes in Australia regardless of how long they have spent across the ditch.

The Prime Minister said his counterpart had been “very forceful” in her views and flagged the policy’s implementation would be considered. More

“We have listened to those views. We will work through some of those issues between now, and we’ll have a ministerial meeting, a leaders’ meeting, coming next month,” he told reporters on Friday.“And we’ll work through with our department, work through the implementation of the way that section 501 has been dealt with. But we’ve listened to the concerns and there’s more work to do.”

22. What HUGE rift is that? The “rift” these days is Queersland redneck posting comment after comment abusing people – reminding me of a NYC vagrant yelling at passersby. There’s no huge rift. People either received the vax or refused it and we went on with our respective lives.

I agree.
    Apart from the Truckulent Troubadour and a couple of his enablers (past, present and emerging), it is pretty much live and let live here.

23. Good lord, frollickingmole. Do you realise the slippery slope you’re on?

One minute you’re reading everything published by the Guardian. OK. It’s good to know what the enemy is thinking.

But now you’re reading the world’s dumbest Keynesian, Ross Gittins, at ShakeMyHamas.com???

Less of a slippery slope; more like diving off a cliff!

24. callisays:

June 10, 2022 at 12:50 pm

That doesn’t make sense. It isn’t what I see in the Daily Denouncement.

Sorry.
    That should read “But the point is, no-one has copped any flak simply because they are un-vaccinated.”

25. Face.
    The most troubling aspect of masking the human face is that it diminishes the human reality of a face to the point of enabling that humanity to be denied.

Emmanuel Levinas has it that the commandment, ‘Thou shalt not kill’, is inescapably revealed upon the encounter with the Imago Dei most essentially present in the face of another. As a Shoa survivor, he knew a fair bit about the denial of humanity in another.

In the most radical of terms, there is the promise of that face to face meeting which is the beatitude in seeing the Face of God.

26. Wife brought back her Grandfather’s binoculars he used as a reconnaissance observer before he was a pilot in WWI.

Wifey just had a bunch of photos nicely framed of Palestine (known then), Syria and Lebanon taken by her dad during WW2. I guess the troops were being shipped and massing there before heading off to North Africa and elsewhere. Amazing pics. There’s one pic of Tel Aviv with an inscription on the back saying he’d never seen or believed there was such a modern city.

27. m0ntysays:
    June 10, 2022 at 12:33 pm

We would. Let us know when it does.

28. hahahah..

Resident Mindworms live on TV.

In one particularly cringeworthy segment, Biden started babbling nonsense before Kimmel threw him a lifeline and cut to commercial.

“There’s a lot of major things we’ve done,” Biden claimed. “But what we haven’t done is we haven’t been able to communicate it in a way that is magnified another way.”

“Well see, that’s kind of perfect—” Kimmel agreed as Biden continued to ramble.

“Look how the press has changed. Look how the press is it has changed,” Biden said, before he started making up words. ” I know you get—you overstand [sic] it. You don’t just understand it, you overstand. But here’s the deal. One of the things is that it’s very difficult now, to have a… even… with notable exceptions, even a really good reporters, they have to get number clicks on… on… nightly news. So instead of asking the question, anyway, it just, everything gets… gets sensationalized… in ways… but I’m convinced we can get through this. We have to get through it. And one of the things, look—”

“I’m going to take a break,” Kimmel interrupted, clearly seeing Biden was glitching and wasn’t able to complete a coherent idea. “and then we’ll talk a little bit more.”

29. Just imagine elected officials of the federal US government inciting a mob to riot outside where public officials are housed, chanting that they want to hang one in particular, to achieve their seditious aims of overthrowing the democratic system. I imagine if that ever happened, you lot would condemn those politicians in the strongest possible terms.

What a stupid comment.

30. Tom says:
    June 10, 2022 at 11:49 am

What we are seeing play out in Washington DC as we speak is unprecedented: a choreographed witchhunt by the Democratic Party against its political enemies…

This is quite horrifying to watch.
    Turd World stuff.

31. The Prime Minister said his counterpart had been “very forceful” in her views
    Yeeeah bend over and take one for the team, AnAl.
    We’ll have to keep the Sri Lankan Visa trawlers and all the violent offenders too stoopid for the Mongrel Mob to tolerate in Aotearoa. What a great decade we’re headed for.

32. m0nty says:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm

You should probably turn on CNN, Tim N. You might learn something.

He would. He’d how every single opinion segment is fake news.

33. I have a theory about a small sub-set of the unvaxxed.
    I think some (and I emphasise – only a small minority) of these vax holdouts are enjoying the opportunity to drop out and don’t want it to end.
    A version of the mid-life crisis but clothed in moral righteousness rather than the personal selfishness which usually characterises these personal shifts.
    Not really directed at anyone here.
    Just an observation of a couple of people in my extended circle.

34. Just imagine elected officials of the federal US government inciting a mob to riot outside where public officials are housed, chanting that they want to hang one in particular

And M0nty think how bad it would be if unelected employees of the US government did it?
    Why that would be horrible to contemplate!

35. Anthony Albanese says he will seek to “work through” the concerns of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern surrounding the deportation of New Zealanders who commit crimes in Australia.

NZ deports more islanders back to their countries than Australia deports NZ’ers.
    It’s a tired narrative she trots out each time she’s here.

36. thefrollickingmolesays:
    June 10, 2022 at 12:58 pm
    Monty now will ritually denounce Maxine…

only in your dreams.

The fascist fatso is quite happy for his enemies to be threatened or attacked (“Punch a Nazi”), but lives in terror of those victims fighting back.

37. There’s no huge rift. People either received the vax or refused it and we went on with our respective lives.

“and went on with their respective lives”

Except the millions who still cannot.

This pig ignorance to their actions is what this is all about.
    JC is a POS for speaking absolute crap like this.
    If I was as low class as him, I’d call him what he calls me…….

These statements, and Cassie being holier than thou and so many others.

Your actions may just speak louder than words and combine that with the “no harm done” self excusing delusion…it’s something to behold.
    Delusional.
    Ignorant.
    Self centred.
    Traitorous.

38. Earlier today BoN gave Titus 3:10 as a reason why he doesn’t give an answer. Presuming that some of his interlocutors are too devise and troublesome to answer.
    While not wanting to start a stoush or do anything to disturb the bonhomie and wit here, I do wonder Bruce whether you are misunderstanding the Bible here.

As a Christian myself who values Scripture, I think Titus 3 is talking about divisive people in the church. It’s to be dealt with in house. He is not talking about discussions with people in the community or on a forum.
    My understanding of St Paul is that he argued and debated with people from Antioch to Athens. He talks about renouncing secret and shameful ways and setting forth the truth plainly 2 Cor 4:2.
    Whether you answer JC, Sanchez or anyone else is your business of course, but I think it is fair to say that the Bible gives us no mandate for that. Appreciate much of what you say Bruce, but was a little puzzled by that.

39. m0ntysays:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm
    You should probably turn on CNN, Tim N. You might learn something.

Hahahahahahahaha, ROFLMAO. He would certainly learn about the stupidity and narrow-mindedness of the fascist left.

40. The reason those nurses can’t work and can’t save people’s lives, is because you took the jab.
    You made it possible for the government to push them out by submitting.
    By giving them the numbers.
    Each one of the jabbed owns that.
    But hey, you’re all really nice people that have never said anything against the unvaxxed!!!
    Delusional fuckers.

41. Real Deal..

Just accept the fact he’s a fraud. It took me a while to get to that understanding. Go through today’s comments and I highlighted three attempts at fake news. He’s an outright fraud.

42. Of course you lot respond to January 6 news by seeking refuge in debunked lies.

Projection again M0nty?
    I bet you think 2000 Mules is fiction too.

43. In a couple of years we have moved from CNNs “Firey but peaceful protests” to Montys new standard “Firey but mostly debunked” ones.

Sad.
    Low energy.
    #beliveallmontysnotyourlyingeyes

44. Cernovich
    @Cernovich
    2h
    The January 6th Committee’s case is so strong that they are only releasing selectively-edited clips from hearings they controlled fully. Great job guys. ?

Works for low-info voters like Monty.

45. *debooonked
    FIFY
    Of course, if it weren’t for them pesky deboonkers going around on Twitter and Fox debooonking all of the un-deboooonk-able Fake News, the Lizard People wouldn’t need the Kangaroo Court to debooooonk everything from er two and a half years ago.

Gotta say, thanks christ Musk put Twitter on notice before this show trial kicked off. The farce has already been deboooooooonked for scrubbing Ray Epps out of the vids.
    Comey Barrett and Kavanaugh can probably rest easy, Tucker Carlson and Mark Steyn would have to be prime targets for the amount of information which they disseminate.
    And Wussell Bwand too, but his re-packaged scoops are usually a solid year behind the cutting edge.

46. You should probably turn on CNN, Tim N. You might learn something.

If you’re the shining example of learning anything worthwhile from CNN, then Tim is better off watching paint dry.

47. m0nty-fa

debunked lies.

The biggest “debunked lie” is that there was an [unarmed] insurrection on Jan 6. Compared to previous efforts in DC by members of the fascist left, and even setting aside the clear incitement on Jan 6 by federal law enforcement officials, what happened then hardly rates even as a protest.

48. The reason those nurses can’t work and can’t save people’s lives, is because you took the jab.
    You made it possible for the government to push them out by submitting.

Fact check-
    …True.
    Gotta face up to it people, if there had been any sort of principled, simple yet immovable opposition, the “mandate” would have barely lasted a week.

49. The serial failed predictor, at 11.11:

See here’s the thing KD, while you’re fighting me and not the fuckers who poisoned you, you are still in denial.

I’m not ‘fighting’ you. If that’s what you think ‘fighting’ is, I’m not surprised you’ve been screeching it for the past couple of years.

It’s not ‘fighting’ you. It’s laughing. AT you, not WITH you.

Every wordwall is more shrill. Every time, the language is more desperate, the circumstances more and more diabolical despite states of emergency going down all over the country, nobody caring any more and the DeaTh Camps (which never were) either closing, closed or never opened.

The sole fatality was a bloke in Howard Springs who smuggled a bottle of vodka in and skolled the lot before collapsing and dying. Obviously though, it was really the vaccine.

Your steady descent into full-volume, a Grade industrial strength lunatickery amuses me. That’s why none of the abuse matters – you’ve lost the plot where you’re pitied rather than taken offence to.

50. …..and we’ve got to admit our errors, forgive the weak and/or unwary, welcome them into the resistance and strengthen our resolve, or it will surely happen again.

51. I have wondered how far off we are.

Vicpol has spent big on batons, shields, helmets, tear gas, guns and an armoured assault vehicle. Plus recruitment of sheilas. They made the best guards in concentration camps.

52. Tomsays:
    June 10, 2022 at 10:25 am
    Lysander says:
    June 10, 2022 at 10:20 am

Brilliant analysis, Lysander.

And that’s why Outsiders is on for 2 hours from 09:00am Sunday.

Those of a conservative ilk are having a quiet morning at home watching.

The leftie loons are still in bed

53. Franx says:
    June 10, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Face.

In my experience, the most troubling aspect is that it fogs your spectacles. I drove my wife to a dentist’s appointment yesterday and I took a book to read while waiting for her consultation to end. The dentist’s receptionist said that I’d need to wear a mask while waiting and she kindly gave me one.

I donned the mask, found a comfy chair, put on my reading glasses and opened my book. I couldn’t read a word, my goggles were all steamed up.

54. Ken can you add “but I repeat myself” to your repetitious comments. This is just in case any new visitor’s haven’t realised you’ve been crapping on for the last two years. No doubt the furniture shop has the same slop served daily from the dribbler in chief.

55. Syria and Lebanon taken by her dad during WW2. I guess the troops were being shipped and massing there before heading off to North Africa and elsewhere. Amazing pics.

They were fighting the Vichy French including the French Foreign Legion.

56. Mr Panzer, not long ago:

Once they find a cause, though, it consumes them. In their eyes, they feel as though they now have a purpose – and that their life can now be validated. Their existence will mean something, whereas before it was just average and beige.

They’ll hold onto that cause until the end of time, regardless of whether said cause becomes the monstrosity initially thought. They will gather fellow travellers (cause-seekers, as above) and convince themselves that a) they are right, b) that they and only they can see what’s really going on, and c) that they are beholden to crusade under their self-made banner for ever and ever.

The abuse is just a by-product, and is generally (except when directed at specific people, as was the case yesterday afternoon) excellent comedy value.

57. Monty,

If something like that ever happens, of course we would.

58. JC says:
    June 10, 2022 at 12:57 pm

JC, the Australians were also fighting in Lebanon and Syria against the Vichy French and the French Foreign Legion in WW II. I saw a photo of a group of youngish WW II diggers standing in front of a stone wall on the road to Damascus on which had the names of their fathers were carved. Their fathers had also travelled the same road in WW I to fight the Ottomans.

59. Old Bloke

Oh Okay, but I don’t think he was fighting there. In fact there was a pic of the dude on skis, which is funny if you keep in mind where he was from. North Western Victoria. Am I right though in suggesting the region was a staging post to mass troops and then move them where they were needed?

60. Just imagine elected officials of the federal US government inciting a mob to riot outside where public officials are housed, chanting that they want to hang one in particular, to achieve their seditious aims of overthrowing the democratic system. I imagine if that ever happened, you lot would condemn those politicians in the strongest possible terms.

Monster was probably getting mixed up about this event.

61. These people are generally drifters, motoring along in neutral for most of their lives.

The toothless psychiatrist of Humpty Doo.
    Sittin’ back with his Winnie reds, TAB ticket and failed marriage, only the poor barmaid and us have to listen to the dribble.

62. Chinese Military Reportedly Building Secret Naval Base in Cambodia

Well that’s gotta seem like a white elephant already.
    Why build a secret base in Cambodia when you can build a public base in the Solomons?

Okay they haven’t built one yet, but you just know they’re going to. People don’t sign defense pacts without wanting to use them. SI may be all ‘move along, nothing to see here’ now, but a few months down the track, as soon as there’s a flopped blancmange on MKR, or a shooting match in Ethiopia, or one of fifty other distractions, wham, a big steaming bowl of Bang Sub Dok appears in Honiara.
    Remember you read it here first, before* it was real.

__________
    * = and admittedly so.

63. I’m not sure the sanctions on Russia are working….Bloomberg News
    April 11, 2022, 9:30 PM

Russia recorded the largest current-account surplus since at least 1994, as revenues from oil and gas exports surged and imports plunged after the U.S. and its allies imposed sanctions over President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

The proceeds have become a critical source of hard currency during the war, enabling authorities to pay for imports, support the economy and restore confidence in the ruble.

64. The toothless

Wrong.

psychiatrist

Wrong.

of Humpty Doo.

Wrong.

Sittin’ back

Yep.

with his Winnie reds,

Wrong.

TAB ticket

Wrong.

and failed marriage,

A stunning success, given I’m no longer married to that filthy cash-guzzling succubus.

Alllll day, porky. Keep it coming.

65. Perth trader

Seeing their current account spiral is not necessarily a good thing. It means they can’t access imports. I read the other day their car assembly plants are closed because they’re unable to access parts.

66. And as much as it is painstakingly obvious you want to make me a one off, a rarity, I can assure you I am not.
    So many at various sites agree wholeheartedly with me, will never forget, and will never submit.

The reason I take umbrage here is because I detest hypocrites.
    You know Monty is a goose, he knows no better, He would have been the first in line to drop his trousers for Dan.
    That’s a given.
    Never said a word about him taking the vaxx.
    He’d argue that doing everything the government told him to do was the right thing.
    He’s sheeple.

But the hypocrites here are something to behold.
    Wanking away as if they have all the answers in the world, know everything, and are just and proper in their right wing stance.

You’re no better than Monty, but declare yourselves to be so.

67. An American and a Russian are having a debate about who has the better form of democracy (an oldie but goodie from Cold War times).

The American says “I can walk right into the Oval Office, slam my fist on the President’s desk and say Mr Reagan, I don’t like the way you work.”

The Russian says “So what? I can walk right into the Kremlin and slam my fist on the table and say, Mr Brezhnev, I don’t like the way President Reagan works.” 😛

68. Perth Trader says:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:50 pm

June 10, 2022 at 1:45 pm…I never knew that the french foreign legion were allies of the axis. ty.

They were allies indirectly, they were under the control of the Vichy French Government.

69. Gillon McPolo-Pony examines his navel to find out why no one is going to the footy. Still getting bigger crowds than the Big Bash League and AFLW.

70. Pity we did not have CNN covering the Salem witch trials.

I had a deep thougt or 2 after watching ‘the witch”

Its easy for us to sniff at the superstitions and beliefs of the era but imagine this.

You are brought up where witchcraft is accepted as real.
    There are trials where people confess to engaging in witchcraft on a fairly regular basis.
    People can sicken and die/ have limbs go corrupt etc for no known reason, and if they survived maybe it was because they made a pact with the devil/ or their mother did etc.

Imagine you are a mother, your kid has diphtheria or some other common but usually fatal condition.
    You pray and pray but the kid gets sicker.
    You believe if you sell your soul to satan the kid will get better.
    You do so using whatever knowledge you have gleaned from the trials you have heard about.
    The kid gets better..

You find a couple of like minded people who think the reason “x” happened was because they had done the same…
    Someone dobs you in, you confess, after all you actually believe powers from beyond assisted you.
    it would be a self perpetuating cycle of awfulness.

As much as it seems stupid its got parallels in Aboriginal ritruals, where because everyone knew what caused things, and every bit of “knowledge” supported that, some horrible absurdities retarded society for thousands of years.

71. JC….yes your right. There fleet of Boeings and Airbus are being cannibalized to keep them in the air. But the main point is… I think the sanctions are hurting the west as much if not more.

72. Real Deal at 1:17

Here’s the thing.
    BoN didn’t want to directly call out Indolent’s bullshit links about injected metals replicating in the human body. He first went for a distraction squirrel with some complete irrelevant gibberish which sounded sciency but was totally unrelated to the subject at hand.
    Having had considerable experience dealing with “subject matter experts” who revert to jargon under pressure I pursued it. At this point BoN chose to hide behind The Big Red Book.
    The only possible Biblical justification might be found in the Book of Ruth, 4:12:-

“And St Ruth came among them and said unto them, ‘Do not be afraid. Thou needst not answer the questions put to thou. For they are nothing but evil fuckers and traitorous c…ts’. And so it came to pass that no question was answered”.

73. JC says:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:52 pm

Yes, there was a large staging post in Israel where the Australian troop gathered prior to the North Africa campaign.

Your father in law (have I got the relationship right?) was most likely in the Australian ski troops who trained in Lebanon. They were a versatile lot, trained to fight in deserts, snow and jungles.

Australian ski troops in Lebanon.

74. Old blokesays:

The Foreign Legion split after France fell some units went with the allies (free French) others joined the Vichy French forces ..
    At the outbreak of WW2 approx 80% of Legion NCOs were German ….. the French embarked on a recruiting campaign to replace them and raised 9 regiments from anti Nazi countries .. by the fall of France 70% of the Legion was loyal to the Free French (De Gaulle) …

75. Local Oaf:

I wish I could say the same, but sadly there are people I can’t avoid who talk of little else. Which ones they had, how many they had, when they’re getting the next one, etc.

One way to tell a fanatic:

You can’t change the subject, and they can’t change their minds.

76. I never knew that the french foreign legion were allies of the axis

Sir Roden Cutler V.C. was awarded the V.C. for courageous actions under fire against the Foreign Legion.

77. Struth:”Apparently I was lazy for not taking the jab and therefore not working by being banned from doing so (even though I never went on welfare,….”

You can tie that high horse up over there –>

Talk about not respecting their countrymen, here’s the man who did NOTHING (by his own admission) to attempt to stop any further such assaults on our freedoms, and even suggested that those who got jabbed, no matter how reluctantly, were not worthy of standing next to him.

That anyone who didn’t have the resources to wait the authoritarians out like he did, was scum.

What a brave patriot! Should be more like that, willing to do nothing at all.

What a man of the people, such a “let them eat cake” attitude, who could fail to love him?

Such a man of compassion, with his “I managed, but I had to give up my 16ft boat – sob! Poor lil old me!”, who could fail to support him in his hour of need, when he becomes stricken by boat-less-ness?

Clearly, such a better man than anyone else here – would you even dare to call anyone else a man after such a display of manly compassion and with such a community minded attitude? It boggles the mind that you would dare to even try!

All heil St Ruth – a true king among men, who we should all look up to with awe and gratitude that he deigns to mix with the plebs on such a blog as this. I am truly humbled, and beg your forgiveness for ever doubting your pronouncements from on high.

78. shatterzzzsays:
    June 10, 2022 at 2:32 pm…I understand now why Indo China was a walkover for the Japs. My guess is Indo China was mostly Vichy.

79. Jorge, according to wikipedia, Sydney airport (in 2017) had around 950 “aircraft movements” per day.

Not sure if that is both landings and takeoffs, taking the plan out for a run on the tarmac or doing doughnuts…

80. Am I right though in suggesting the region was a staging post to mass troops and then move them where they were needed?

Yes. My Dad was stationed in Egypt and Palestine before being sent to El Alamein. He was a Bren Gun Carrier driver and as far as I know, did not ever put on skis. I have photos of him climbing the pyramids, horse riding in the desert and camel parades. It was his stories of visiting Jerusalem that inspired me to go to Israel.

I still have a little blue booklet he brought home with him “Learn Arabic for One Shilling”.

81. There are various interpretations of Titus 3:10 which BoN relies upon.
    Some talk about “divisive people” but most couch this in terms of “heretics” or “false doctrine”, as in the following example:-

Have nothing to do with people who continue to teach false doctrine after you have warned them once or twice.

Not sure how questioning batshit crazy stuff lifted from the dark corners of the web qualifies as “heresy” or “false doctrine”.
    In fact, I would have thought that spouting “metals replicate in the human body to the point where they set off airport security scanners” might fall squarely within the bounds of “false doctrine”.
    At least for an (alleged) scientist.

82. To be clear, I don’t think the “divisive people” in Titus 3:10 was directed at people who persistently argue about the merits of pineapple on pizza, or otherwise.

83. Matthew 21:12:

And Ruth went into the temple of Faulty, and cast out all them that worked and drove trucks in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the shallow cock smokers, and the seats of them that went on cruises; And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of fighting; but ye have made it a den of sick denialism.

84. H B Bearsays:

June 10, 2022 at 2:24 pm

85. He doesn’t think $9 beers, $7 pies, a new SJW cause every week and random 50 metre penalties are in the top ten.

Nailed it Sancho.

86. He doesn’t think $9 beers, $7 pies, a new SJW cause every week and random 50 metre penalties are in the top ten.

The gender diverse focus group didn’t raise them.

87. JCsays:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:52 pm
    Old Bloke

Australian troops were garrisoned there in late 1941, after the North Africa, Greece, Crete and Lebanon campaigns, in case the Germans either came through or allied with Turkey. Some were trained as ski troops in case of a winter campaign in the mountains. The next mountains many of them saw were along the Kokoda Track.

88. Just imagine elected officials of the federal US government inciting a mob to riot outside where public officials are housed, chanting that they want to hang one in particular, to achieve their seditious aims of overthrowing the democratic system. I imagine if that ever happened, you lot would condemn those politicians in the strongest possible terms.

What, like these? https://thefederalist.com/2022/01/07/8-times-left-wing-protesters-broke-into-government-buildings-and-assaulted-democracy/

89. H B Bearsays:
    June 10, 2022 at 2:04 pm
    You should probably turn on CNN, Tim N. You might learn something.

Bwahahahahaaaa. Have we reached peak mUnty?

There is no such thing as peak m0nty-fa. Stupidity is the only limitless resource on Earth.

90. Old blokesays:
    June 10, 2022 at 2:21 pm
    Perth Trader says:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Others fought with the British forces. The 13th Demi-Brigade of the Foreign Legion was over-run by the Afrika Korps at Bir Hakeim, south of Tobruk, in June 1942.

91. Sanchez at 2:29pm.

My missus, who cares little for internet forums will have that read to her tonight. I think she’ll laugh at that.
    BTW Ruth was from Moab. Moab were a neighbouring nation to Israel. They were in the hills and often assailed Israel by attacking down those hills using chariots.
    Because the chariots were large and needed stopping power, the Moabites were the first to invent air brakes.

92. Another episode of Matthew has dropped.
    Chapter 14 verses 15-20

15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”

17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.

18 Jesus turned to St Ruth and said, “Can you not catch us more fish so we can feed the people”. St Ruth did not reply. “What troubles you my son?” Jesus asked.

19. “I had to sell me boat” St Ruth replied. “I really loved that boat. Sixteen footer with twin Mercs. Jesus …”
    “Yes my son” said Jesus.
    “Nothing. I was just blaspheming about the boat” replied St Ruth.

20. Jesus lifted his eyes to the heavens (it wasn’t an eye-roll, I swear) and said unto them, “Here we fuckin’ goeth again. If I want anything done, I’ll have to do it my fuckin’ self”

93. m0ntysays:
    June 10, 2022 at 1:05 pm
    You should probably turn on CNN, Tim N. You might learn something

This is the funniest comment ever written on any evolution of Catallaxy Files.

monty

I hope to see you performing at the Comedy Festival. JC and I need to be in the front row, or up in a balcony seat ala Statler & Waldorf.

94. shatterzzz

A lot of the Germans had fled Hitler’s regime. The Frogs hid many of them from the Germans in lonely outposts out in the Algerian and Moroccan hinterland.

Fun Fact: When there was a possibility he might be captured in Crete, the Australian Major General Cullen ( a Lieutenant Colonel at the time) had his name quietly changed by the Army from Cohen to Cullen.

95. Debunked.
    I note it is being freely used as a synonym for “denied” in the popular press.
    “Mr Albanese debunked the claim that energy prices might rise by 25% next year”.
    Firstly, “debunked” can only be used where a matter of fact has been claimed and has been demonstrably proven incorrect.
    It cannot be used in matters of opinion or subjectivity or for forecasts and predictions.

96. In fact air brakes on trucks were invented by a German former tank engineer, Dr Manfred Koch.
    Lots of trial and error on German autobahns and using trucks on Swiss mountain roads. Dr Koch’s airbrakes often failed with disastrous consequences for the post-war trucking industry. The airbrakes on trucks caught fire so often that drivers derisively referred to them as “Koch Smokers”.

97. Sancho – I suggest you read my comment to Gabor earlier. I didn’t reply not because it was your question and not because of the content of the question, and not because of what my answer would be, but because of how the question was raised initially. And not by you. I tried to answer sideways to get around that, but you didn’t like that and didn’t get any of the hints. I would not be saying this except that I think Gabor got the impression all this stuff applied to him. Not at all. Nor to you. Not the slightest. However I have to keep to a position of conscience arrived at with a lot of thought. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, nothing was intended in your direction at all. I really wanted someone else to answer your questions because I can but not without going against my own conscience. It sucks.

98. We walked into a pandemic we were told was potentially as serious as the Spanish flu from 100 years ago. Initially, who should we have listened to if not the medical establishment? Perhaps janitors union? Who?

I understand what you are saying, JC. I was hanging on every word of the medical technocracy for the best part of 2020. When I heard of the first case of Covid in Oz (brought in by a Chinese tourist to Surfers, as I recall) I was so distressed I walked the 1km to our gate & then back, weeping. By that stage I had been watching the twitter feed of an ICU nurse in Northern Italy, and it was DIRE. I now realise this was because of the aged population amongst the very ill, together with poor PPE of staff and viral overload. I will be frank – I couldn’t wait for the vaccines to arrive!!!

But man, after the vaccines did arrive, and people started dying – surely it would cause concern???? The first death, in fact, was the 50 year old mother (fit & a regular gym goer) of a friend of my grandson. She died in her sleep of a brain haemorrhage. It was that event – & a serious blood clotting issue of a nurse on the Central Coast very soon after – that I began my research.

And let us be very clear – there was AMPLE evidence from eminent practitioners that the program was rushed without the correct protocol for vaccine release. For goodness sake, one of the Australian dissenters is (or was) on the TGA & is a respected Professor of Immunology! The names of the OS dissenters I gave this morning hardly touch the thousands of doctors and scientists who signed the Great Barrington Declaration.

99. Real Deal.
    We may have a laugh about these things, but the narrow interpretation of religious texts out of context and the blind observance of those interpretations is dangerous.
    Of course, there is the obvious example of the Taliban.
    But I also just watched “Prey and Obey” about an offshoot of the Church of Jesus Christ of The Latter Day Saints run by Warren Jeffs in the US.
    Eventually we got to “It is God’s will that I roger this 12 year old in front of my other 46 wives”.
    Over 40 years Jeffs and his father took a fairly orthodox strict religious community to a place where child abuse and vicious excommunication of people from their families was “God’s Will”.

100. My personal favourite, and from Pulp Fiction – Ezekiel 25:17. Say it like Sam Jackson does in the film:

The path of the tour bus driver is beset on all sides
    By the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men
    Blessed is he who, in the name of other people’s achievements
    Shepherds the white through the valley of Indians
    For he is truly a real Australian, and the eater of good schnitzels
    And I will strike down upon thee
    With great vengeance and furious anger
    Those who attempt to buy and then sell my boat
    And you will know my name is St. Ruth
    When I lay my vengeance upon thee

101. I really wanted someone else to answer your questions because I can but not without going against my own conscience. It sucks.

No it doesn’t.
    You decided you didn’t want to call out the bat-shit crazy dark web bullshit posted by Indolent and found a tenuous link to a Bible verse to back it up.
    And don’t dispute this.
    It is a strict teaching of The Church of The Latter Day Panzers.
    Changing my mind on this would be Haram and condemn me to eternal damnation, in a shared room with no Netflix.

102. I agree SP,
    I’m fairly conservative of Bible stuff myself, but have seen lots of “God’s will” stuff in the decades since my teenage church youth groups and many of years in Churches all over the place

“It’s God’s will that I pursue this girl, God’s will that I have this BMW station wagon with V8 engined Ski boat and so on. I’ve probably practised a bit of divine self justification myself on occasion. Context is always important with Bible stuff. What did it mean to the readers back then? How do we understand today. Authorial intent is always important whether it’s Scripture, the Australian Constitution or the US Constitution. Words have meaning.

103. Vickisays:
    June 10, 2022 at 9:42 am

This can only be referring to Struth and bundy. You me and others have not. Why is that?

Yes indeed and they have chance to influence policy to prevent such things happening again.

As for those who chose to “take their chance” because they wanted to travel, go to the gym, go to restaurants and to the cinema, and to shop without restrictions….well….sorry……but you reap what you sow.

Interesting. I see it the same was as free speech ” I disagree with why you are doing it but defefend your right to do it” Pitty some clown started to sceeching “whores of socialism” and other bile otherwise it could have been a constructive discussion.

104. I really am bemused by this. Titus 3:9-10 is just one facet of a principle that is right through the New Testament. Related passages include Mt 17:15-17, Mt 5:44, Mt 5:38-39 and 1 Cor 6:6-7. They’re just from the top of my head with a bit of help from the concordance in the back of my old NIV. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable could prepare a whole study on the essence of it principle, I’m a pew warmer not a theologian.

105. We walked into a pandemic we were told was potentially as serious as the Spanish flu from 100 years ago. Initially, who should we have listened to if not the medical establishment? Perhaps janitors union? Who?

The “medical establishment” (if could be dignified with such a term) listened to at the time by politicians, bureaucrats and the meeja were the fear mongers, who were 100% wrong (see Perfesser Pantsdown in the ol’ Dart for example). Any dissenting voices, i.e. “it’s nothing like the Spanish flu” were howled down, sidelined and derided.

From the moment I first heard of bat flu it was obvious it was being beaten up by the various parties named above into something it wasn’t, especially by those screeching dishonest dunderheads in the braindead lamestream meeja.

The first most shocking and infuriating moment for me was when that utter failure, spineless jellyfish and total knobhead Morristeen announced the first of the schlockdowns in March 2020, aping the response of those ridiculous totalitarian communist crackheads in bloody china. “Two weeks to flatten the curve”, yeah right.

The janitors’ union probably would have had a better handle on the likely outcome of events, had anyone bothered to consult them.

106. Perth Tradersays:
    June 10, 2022 at 2:39 pm

Vichy handed over control of French Indochina for “safekeeping” to the Japanese.

Much the same way certain café owners hand over sums of money to the Mafia for “safekeeping”.

Sort of insurance against bad thing happening/misunderstandings/savage, brutal murder….

107. https://shanisilver.medium.com/start-blaming-single-men-right-now-ed732ade0ec1

As a society of single people, we are not dating. This not dating. This is operating a convenience store of things men like receiving from women, all in travel sized portions. The sex of course, but we’re all adults here and we know that casual, consensual sex can have its purpose. We know you’re trying to fuck us after the second date (or sooner), you’re not “charming” our pants off, we’re actually just listening to you talk and drinking negronis for a length of time that feels comfortable to us before we fuck you, and we know that once that happens we’ll never hear from you again. Sometimes, we actually count on that. But you don’t stop at sex, you don’t keep that silent contract limited to terms. You want emotional intimacy, but only in small bites. You want the comfort of connection, but only for a minute. You want someone to entertain you with text messages, someone to flirt with because that’s the fun part. You want to dip your toe into the idea of a relationship but as soon things start to feel real, you know…because you put forth effort into acquiring those things from a single woman who desires a real relationship and can’t tell the difference between a man who actually wants one and a man who is just playing with his toys because y’all have gotten really fucking good at lying and we don’t want to move through life never trusting another human soul because you will not steal our humanity from us—once the thing your behavior naturally leads to starts to happen, you crumple up the wrapper and throw it away. Then you move one aisle over and start again.

Maybe you are attracted to women.

“Having consensual premarital sex that doesn’t work out steals our humanity!”

If you equate men to being parasitic then you either don’t like men or choose the wrong man, every time – but can never accept any responsibility.

Always the victim.

Always!

108. Am I right though in suggesting the region was a staging post to mass troops and then move them where they were needed?

It’s stands to reason to that Aussie troops did assemble in the Palestine for the advance into Syria.
    Others were in Alexandria Egypt for the push into Libya against the Italians and then unfortunately sent to Greece and Crete.

109. Thanks for your honesty but are you open about this contempt in personal interactions (off and online)?

I just need your bank details, Tinder username and Team Viewer, Sir, to fix your Telstra NBN.

110. P – Thanks for that! He’s saying something I’ve long felt. The comment about the law is fun since that isn’t a very popular idea! Yet when I was a kid in school we were taught about the marvelous invention of law by Hammurabi, which obviously stuck since I still remember. These days the 10 commandments have gone right out of style, and Cecil B. de Mille would likely have no chance of getting a movie up on their story.

(Btw my mum is Catholic, we get on famously – had a good chat on the phone yesterday, but that was about birds and cats and whatnot, not biblical stuff.)

111. Did the 16 foot Hartley come with a road rager and eaton diff. I’ll be pissed off if it did and missed out. The twin mercruisers might have been ok.

112. Aussie troops did assemble in the Palestine for the advance into Syria

For those interested Long’s official history of the campaign is downloadable in PDF from the War Memorial website.

See chapters 15 through 26. Unfortunately you have to download each chapter separately, but the story is excellent and fascinating. The Foreign Legion units who the Aussies fought against are identified. Tough fighters.

113. rosie says:
    June 10, 2022 at 2:31 pm

A two-year-old Queensland boy has died with influenza A, currently the dominant flu strain across Australia.

This year is shaping up as a bad flu season.

From mid-April 2022, the weekly number of notifications of laboratory-confirmed influenza reported in Australia has exceeded the 5 year average.

Kids and young adults are most at risk.

114. H B Bearsays:

June 10, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Nobody takes the parable of the cocksmokers literally.

Blessed are the cocksmokers for they shall … what the? …surely not?

115. I really am bemused by this. Titus 3:9-10 is just one facet of a principle that is right through the New Testament. Related passages include Mt 17:15-17, Mt 5:44, Mt 5:38-39 and 1 Cor 6:6-7. They’re just from the top of my head with a bit of help from the concordance in the back of my old NIV. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable could prepare a whole study on the essence of it principle, I’m a pew warmer not a theologian.

Bruce, maybe I missed how this all started but can you explain what principle you mean?
    I understand you used Titus 3 to justify silence about an earlier question but how do those passages you link to help with what you mean? I’m not a theologian in the strictest sense, but I have spent a good part of my adult life trying to understand and explain the Bible to others. I get Calli’s earlier comment about contempt (I presume that is about the parody bible quotes). However I’m still puzzled when on a forum a poster can use the Bible to justify not giving an answer to people on a public forum. The Cat is not the same as a local church family. St Paul was about earnestly contending for the faith, Peter was all about giving everyone an answer for our hope. The Bible isn’t mean to be closed unless God closes someone’s mind. We are not Gnostics with secret knowledge just for us.

116. callisays:

June 10, 2022 at 3:52 pm

I agree with you BoN. But there is no point arguing the matter.

People claiming to be sciency types have a … (ahem) … civic duty to debunk them.
    There.
    Two words of the day in one sentence.

117. Real Dealsays:

June 10, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Sorry, I need a few paragraph spaces above. Not easy to read.

Numbered verses might help perhaps?

118. Numbered verses might help perhaps?

I suppose. Will take a while to post though. Who was it who used to have huge blocky posts without paragraphs? “None”?

119. Historic Treaty Authority agreement signed in Victoria
    Alexandra Middleton
    ALEXANDRA MIDDLETON

A nation leading agreement to establish a First Nations Treaty Authority has been announced in Victoria.

A Bill introduced to Parliament on June 7 will establish the Treaty Authority as an “independent umpire” – separate from government.

The Treaty Authority will be comprised of First Nations people and give the necessary legal powers to facilitate negotiations between the government and Aboriginal Victorians, and resolve disputes between parties.

The Premier said the Treaty Authority will change the shape of Victoria’s cultural landscape, adding that ceremoniously signing the agreement on Friday was an “important step” of establishing the independent institution.

“As the Uluru Statement from the Heart tells us, the only way future generations can flourish is when Aboriginal people have power over their own destiny – Treaty will help us achieve this,” Mr Andrews said.

Ms Williams said Treaty was “about doing things differently”.

“Together with the First Peoples’ Assembly, we are establishing an independent Treaty Authority with the ability to deliver an innovative approach to Treaty negotiations based on Aboriginal lore, law and cultural authority.”

When the Bill was first introduced to Parliament on Tuesday, First Peoples’ Assembly Co-Chair Marcus Stewart said: “The Government is relinquishing some of its control and power and together we are creating new institutions that will be guided by Aboriginal lore, law and cultural authority that has been practiced on these lands for countless generations.”

First, define who is Aboriginal.

120. Read Deal, there’s a principle involved in all those passages, which could be titled “How to Deal With Difficult People and Not Sin”.

Note it’s “people” not “questions”.

The Titus one is part of a slew of passages on the subject. Not returning evil for evil, blessing and not cursing, and the big one – remaining silent in the face of ridicule. For the last, we have an excellent example.

If your good name or reputation is impugned eg. you’re called a liar for instance, you can defend yourself. If it’s persistent, the only option is to absent yourself from the conversation. On line, it’s really just ignoring the stuff and getting on with things.

I can only speak for myself, not others. In this, as in many things Biblical, Christians will argue the finer points.

121. Over at Quadrant:

The past is a good teacher for those prepared to learn. As a new round of talk concerning an Aboriginal “Voice” to Canberra warms up, here are 10 fundamental rules and warnings history can tell us about the Voice even before the referendum has been called.

Link

122. Real Deal – I can’t talk about it sorry. Maybe the noun “approach” would’ve been better than principle. I’m never very good at editing.

123. “The Government is relinquishing some of its control and power and together we are creating new institutions that will be guided by Aboriginal lore, law and cultural authority that has been practiced on these lands for countless generations.”

“Its”. Classic fascist mentality. Yes, in legal theory government is conducted in the name of the Queen’s representative, but when the government say it’s relinquishing some of “its” power it really means it is relinquishing rights of non-Aboriginal citizens exercisable through the universal secret ballot.

124. Does anybody else see the two Britons and one Morrocan sentenced to death today in the Donetsk People’s Republic as bargaining chips?

They fought for the Ukrainians and were captured. They have been sentenced to death by firing squad. So what now?

Either there is an outcry in their home countries that somebody must ‘do something’ or the Russians use them to get a few concessions: If you don’t want your citizens shot, lean on Zelensky for negotiations.

If they follow through and execute them, I am sure the flow of volunteers into Ukraine will dry up pretty smartly.

I feel the West is playing games with people who have seen it all.

125. Chuckle. At least I know the rules of Capital Placement.

Random capitals oFendS mY senSe of ordeR. Adding randoM boLd and iTalicS gives me visual vertigo.

126. dover0beachsays:
    June 10, 2022 at 3:52 pm

I think RUS might have more pressing things to manufacture than cars atm.

Pretty sure the machinery to make stuff wouldn’t have left. Also pretty sure China would supply knock offs of anything they’re missing.
    Germany might find it a bit harder to replace the energy sources.

127. Does anybody else see the two Britons and one Morrocan sentenced to death today in the Donetsk People’s Republic as bargaining chips?

It’s also against the Geneva Convention, but no one in the Ukraine situation seems much interested in that particular treaty. I don’t like the chances of the surrendered Mariupol garrison. Apparently they’ve been taken further into Russia earlier this week.

128. Liz Cheney:

“Over multiple months, Donald Trump oversaw and coordinated a sophisticated 7-part plan to overturn the presidential election and prevent the transfer of presidential power.”

The Sophisticated Plan.

Two key Democrat objectives:

1) Trump charged with something criminal and sufficiently complicated that he will be tied up in lawfare from Midterms to end 2024;

2) Electoral fraud in 2020 will never be spoken of again in public.

Liz Cheney: losing Wyoming.

129. I find that wearing a mask causes me to ogle ladies breasts much more as I walk past them in the street.

I can’t decide if it’s
    1) my unconscious brain thinking that, because I’m wearing a mask, others can’t see what my eyes are looking at.
    Or
    2) the anonymity of wearing a mask gives my unconscious brain permission to perform socially unacceptable acts.

130. If calli is around I am sure she will share my indignation at this piece of horticultural nonsense:

Cacti flower in the dark to attract night-flying insects that act as pollinators, and the flowers only last a day to conserve water so the plants can survive in arid conditions.

Nonsense. Many of them last for a week or more, and some of them close at night and open when the sun hits them in the morning.

It’s not a big deal in the wider scheme of things, but just goes to show that dewy-eyed graduates who believe anything they are told are not journalists.

Once upon a time TheirABC had gardening experts – now they have a giant Rolodex of ‘experts’ in the basement who will support this week’s leftist themes on any subject that doesn’t require factual knowledge.

131. The way I see it Bon is a nerd(no offence). Nerds like to nerdle it’s what they do regardless of context. Sometime times like when your trying to expose a garage nasty and a historical event is raised the the hunt gets derailed. The prey is saved by the nerdling. Frustrating but not nefarious.

132. I think RUS might have more pressing things to manufacture than cars atm.

Pretty sure the machinery to make stuff wouldn’t have left.

It’s already been sorted. Renault sold their shares to the city of Moscow for one ruble, and it will be rebadged with the old Moskvitch label. I don’t know about other car manufacturers but you’d expect something similar.

133. “It is astonishing because this is happening in the “land of the free” which notionally has a free press.

It is not possible in a free country that the media could collude with a political party to smear (and eventually prosecute) party enemies.

Unless this is arrested, the USA will become a fascist one-party state indistinguishable from communist China or Soviet Russia.”

The MSM in 2022, minus a few exceptions, is the enemy of the people. The days of fearless independent, unbiased, quality journalism are gonski. A politically biased and contaminated media, in conjunction with social media sewers, is polluting public discourse and contributing directly to the fracturing of western democracies. It’s no different here. Just look at how the ABC behaves. It doesn’t even hide its biases. And yet successive Liberal governments did nothing to rein it in, and earlier this year the Morrison government threw even more money at it.

Here in Teal land, a meme went around before the election about how Morrison took the Liberal Party “to the extreme right”. I heard this nonsense from several people and I wrote about those exchanges here. It was one of the lines spruiked by Teal scum and their various spruikers. I know, I know, the thought of the Morrison government as “really right-wing” is laughable, the Morrison government was probably the most blancmange Liberal government ever, and that’s saying something. I doubt that even Malcolm the Most Miserable would have set up the “National Cabinet”, his ego would have prevented him from doing so. I’ve been thinking about where this nonsense came from and it’s clear that people who still watch the ABC, other free to air television, who watch garbage like The Dumb and The Project, who still read the SMH, The Age and the Malcolm Guardian, are absorbing these lies and they really, truly believe it.

We get some balance from The Oz and other Murdoch papers and from Sky, which is why the left smear such news sources as “far-right” and are desperate to shut down and silence News Corporation. But for those who don’t read or watch these sources, particularly in Teal electorates such as mine, they believe that the Morrison government was far-right.

134. Barry, I’d wager it’s the latter, but then I don’t need to be wearing a face nappie to experience “the urge to oggle” – which is resisted every time*, of course.

*Yeah, OK, in about 91.3% of instances. Some boozies are just too spectacular not to be oggled. If that makes me a bad person, then so be it.

135. I find that wearing a mask causes me to ogle ladies breasts much more as I walk past them in the street.

Barry: This is a well documented symptom of CO2 poisoning.

No need to thank me.

136. I find that wearing a mask causes me to ogle ladies breasts much more as I walk past them in the street.

Masks also help cover the tongue hanging out side effect of ogling.

137. I’m lurking, joh. Yes, it’s generalising bull.

Some cacti spp. flower at night for that reason – their pollinators are bats or moths or other nocturnal creatures.

Others flower in the daytime for the same reason – they are adapted to do so to attract pollinators. Some flowers live only for a few hours, others persist for several days. Some like shade, others full sun.

They are an amazing diverse plant family and widespread over many environments.

138. Slim Cognito:

I have been treated as weird by some friends and colleagues for this position. When I question what research they personally did before getting jabbed, they admit they have not done any and tell me that they trust that the authorities know what they are doing. Not sure how that is going to work out for them in the long run.

Stalin knew what he was doing too.
    He just didn’t tell the Kulaks.

139. Random capitals oFendS mY senSe of ordeR. Adding randoM boLd and iTalicS gives me visual vertigo

The problem is that modern unedumacated retards don’t know what proper nouns are, so they just default to lower case.

Acronyms in common use are now lower case – laser, Nazi, etc. suits the undedumacated.

Nazi is now a proper noun, not an acronym – what a joke – that’s where errors creep in and things lose meaning.

The sloppiness/laziness probably crept in via social meeja apps, where they just fling off a quick string of text and to Hell with grammar, spelling and punctuation.

So, a Grammar NAZI is now a grammar Nazi.

Highlighting said text and toggling (Shift + F3) in most MS apps will toggle through capitalisation, lowercase and uppercase for Pro writers.

140. The days of fearless independent, unbiased, quality journalism are gonski.

My two cents, those days never existed. The optimal solution is to have the press consist of competing factions of psychopaths rather than one great monolithic ideological entity devoid of scruples. At least that way there is some accountability from each side, when the blowtorch is turned their way.

141. Whichever it is, it’s a very strong urge that I have to concentrate hard to resist. Only happens with a mask on.

Or
    3. Because you are being virtuous in one area,ie mask wearing, your brain gives you licence to be not virtuous in others, ie oggling.

142. I find that wearing a mask causes me to ogle ladies breasts much more as I walk past them in the street.

I find it enhances the fine bone structure of the faces of middle eastern and east asian women (all lowercase for the lowercase fags).

Just showing the eyes may even help old white blokes, although people like Uncle Roger say they don’t trust old white guys without crows feet as they likely don’t smile much – I’ve found that asians put much in the shape of peoples faces vs their character – I do a little myself, someone with a squashed head like its been between bookends are usually weasels IME (ime?).

143. Who sacked their dentist?
    How long were they a patient & happy with them before they found out about their sexuality & then sacked them?
    Free country but odd.

144. What, they were dead?

The record funding, to be included in this month’s budget, will be spent on a financing facility to underwrite the construction of transmission infrastructure, critical for bringing the state’s renewable energy zones to life.

145. Here it is:

GreyRangasays:
    June 10, 2022 at 7:20 am
    That’s funny knuckles. I stopped going to a dentist when I found out he was a flamer.

GreyRanga doesn’t say how he found out about this Flamer’s awful secret.

146. I find that wearing a mask causes me to ogle ladies breasts much more as I walk past them in the street.

Wait till the burqa becomes a bit more common.

147. Who sacked their dentist?

Dunno, thoughts probably turned to where that fist may have previously been before parts of it found a way into their mouth.

148. The NSW government is to make its single biggest investment in renewable energy infrastructure, committing $1.2 billion to fast-track critical transmission projects to deliver cheaper and more reliable power.

Meanwhile, the QLD government is looking at up to 7 sites for pumped hydro “batteries” in a multi-billion dollar “mega-project”, to use the Energy Mick de Brenni’s Minister’s term.

It’s a good thing they haven’t put a definite figure on the “mega-project”, as the state auditor-general recently said the government was inept when it came to contractual negotiaions, leaving tax payers to pick up the cost of budget blowouts. For comparison, the Fed’s single site Snowy II is a $5b+ budget.

Thank goodness coal royalties are pushing our state coffers into the black.

149. I would argue that no good can come of allowing blatant scaremongering bullshit from “trusted sources on the innernet” to go unchallenged either.

It’s interesting when professional authors (Editor of several journals, actually) have livestreams and even they make comments about “Wikipedia fact checkers” in the online comments – you can even comment on “lived experience” in a normal conversation and some @rsehole will be Wikipedia checking you on their phone (i.e. just a troll type of personality).

Per Dave Chappelle to yoof – I lived through sh1t that you’re Wikipediaing.

150. Ah, footy player girlfriends…

Aaron Rodgers Has A New Girlfriend ‘Blu Of Earth’ Who Claims To Be A Witch (9 Jun, via Instapundit)

“It seems like yesterday when Aaron was professing his love and gratitude to his fiancé Shailene Woodley. Aaron has rebounded once again. The timeline is a little fuzzy on this one! She calls herself Blu of Earth.

Blu changed her name from her birth name, Charlotte Brereton. Blu describes herself as a witch, claims she’s a medicine woman (she has a Bachelor in Broadcast Communication) and is into psychedelic drugs.

But royalty can do even better.

Norwegian Princess Announces Engagement to U.S. Citizen, Self-Professed Shaman Boyfriend (7 Jun)

The 50-year-old princess who is fourth in line to the Norwegian throne, has been together with Verrett, 47, who describes himself as a shaman and a healer on his website, since May 2019, according to Norwegian media.

In a statement issued by the royal household, Harald and his wife Queen Sonja announced the engagement and said they “wish them all the best for the future.”

European royals are getting more and more popcornworthy with every generation.

151. The bearded garden gnome on Gardening Australia is probably no less offensive than the old geriatric Tasmanian communist who used to have the gig. A gardening program about gardening from the staff co-op would be a change.

152. someone with a squashed head like its been between bookends are usually weasels IME

Treasurer Chris Bowen, The Parrot, is approaching a squashed Kryton boxhead.

153. The bearded garden gnome on Gardening Australia is probably no less offensive than the old geriatric Tasmanian communist who used to have the gig. A gardening program about gardening from the staff co-op would be a change.

A gnome of Costa would be a hobo on a park bench.

154. Walked passed it on my last visit to the Babylon on the Brisbane last year.

I do remember out contretemps about its status, which is why I made a point of sauntering down to Charlotte Street to check. Haven’t been inside since the late 1970s though.

155. The NSW government is to make its single biggest investment in renewable energy infrastructure, committing $1.2 billion to fast-track critical transmission projects to deliver cheaper and more reliable power.

Necessary but not sufficient.
    A total waste of money till the storage problem is solved to make “renewable” energy dispatchable.
    And even then a cost/benefit analysis might well reveal that it’s (a) financial lunacy, and (b) probably net detrimental for the environment because a properly calculated EROEI for “renewables” will probably still show them to be incredibly resource-intensive for the electricity actually obtained over their “useful” life.
    I think someone here posted a “study” which admitted that the storage technology didn’t exist, that no-one knew what it would be [if it ever emanates, though the “study” didn’t say that], therefore the costs were unknown… so the “study” therefore assumed a cost of zero as a step to its conclusion that “renewables” were cheaper.
    Building the gold-plated transmission grid now is like building a massive vault for all the gold you’re going to find with your metal detector.

156. Do not welcome me to my home

Kev Gillette’s site makes interesting reading – it’s another site that Number’s Bob is banned from..

157. As the Uluru Statement from the Heart tells us, the only way future generations can flourish is when Aboriginal people have power over their own destiny – Treaty will help us achieve this

As the mole Statement from the groin tells us, the only way future generations can flourish is when mole people have power over everyones destiny – Slabs of other peoples money, cocaine and hot blonde chicks will help us achieve this

My version at least has the virtue of containing elements of truthiness.
    ….

No representation without whistlecockation?
    If i catch an excitable boy breaking into my house can i spear him in the thigh?
    And apparently just getting older means that you get the hot young chicks while the boys get the old boilers..

WTF I love this now.

158. Calli at 4:37.

No-one called anyone a liar.
    It was a legitimate question addressed to a metallurgist about his special mastermind subject – metals.
    Which he chose not to answer on “religious grounds”, which others have already questioned.

159. the team at The Weekly missed the real “Joke of the Week”. On 31 May, the Daily Telegraph reported that Chris Walker – the executive producer of The Weekly – had appeared naked in front of his online colleagues during a production meeting over Zoom.

Apparently, it was all a terrible mistake as your man Walker prepared to get into the shower at his current home in Britain – unaware that his Zoom had not been turned off. The Daily Telegraph’s intrepid reporter Claire Heaney wrote that the ABC has offered counselling to ABC employees who were on the Zoom call. An understandable reaction, to be sure.

Did they have to Zoom in on his tiny c0ck?

160. bespoke, is that the Kev who is a Vietnam vet who used to post on Sinclair’s Cat?

He is, indeed. He was in the same battalion as Numbers Bob..

161. Read Deal, there’s a principle involved in all those passages, which could be titled “How to Deal With Difficult People and Not Sin”.

Note it’s “people” not “questions”.

Thank you, Calli. A gracious response. You are right on the intent of much of these passages, and I agree the silence of our Lord to his accusers is the perfect example.

I’ll make this my last post unless you or Bruce wish to respond. However, when we put an idea out there on a forum like this we can ignore ridicule. But it is fair to try to explain a point when people question your argument, even if they trowell on sarcasm.

As much as Dover is a committed Catholic, this is a public forum with all sorts of world-views being on display. Christian posters take their place on these forums and put their views over. You are excellent at presenting wise and patient views with a Christian perspective. But I am sad that in my view Bruce used the Bible as a justification to not speak. Christians by calling contend and debate truth. If a topic is too hot or offends, then just don’t comment. Jesus may have been silent before his accusers, but he wasn’t always silent, and neither should we.

Anyway I’ve done about 3 years worth of posting forvme in an afternoon. It’s probably time I was silent. Thanks Calli and Bruce for your replies.

162. egg_says:

June 10, 2022 at 6:11 pm

How is ol’ NumbNutz?

Arky slumming it at Adam’s?

/Here under my rock

Wasn’t Adam’s your go-to?
    Or was that m0nster’s?

163. He is, indeed. He was in the same battalion as Numbers Bob..

Thanks, Zulu.

Pleased to hear your better half has turned the corner in her treatment.