1,978 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 2 July 2022”

1. On aged care…I am now at the pointy end as far as my parents are concerned.

Taking Mum shopping, convincing her to use a stick (not on me), making sure everything is okay at home, bills paid, medications ready. The Beloved and I have got it all running like a well oiled machine. For now.

Trouble is I can’t boss my parents around. The kids were a doddle.

2. This is the message I get…

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

3. callisays:
    July 2, 2022 at 12:27 pm
    Am having problems commenting. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

No. Apart from an occasional “error” message – maybe two in a month.

I take it as a SIGN. I delete the comment. Why tempt fate? ?

It seems to happen every now and then. It happened to me this morning. Maybe a gremlin like Head Case on the line somewhere.

4. Fair Shake – They did invent the best way to tame the fire-breathing dragons of the plant world, known as eucalypts. Which is about the only thing we don’t give them credit for, nor practice.

Speaking of homicidal plants I liked these ones:

Carnivorous plant discovered that attacks prey underground (1 Jul)

For the first time a carnivorous plant that traps and eats its prey underground has been discovered by scientists. The plant sprouts contraptions that trap prey underground, including worms, beetles and larvae, CNN reported. The pitcher plant was discovered on the Indonesian island of Borneo in the province of North Kalimantan.

I propose we call them ‘mole triffids’.

5. Here’s a piece of wisdom from the cache of Liberty quotes:

In order to discover the character of people we have only to observe what they love.

— Augustine

Insightful for a man who wanted the full treasure trove of spiritual gifts…but not just yet. 🙂

6. That’s the one, Cassie.

If you do a lengthy comment, save it before you press the button. That way we don’t lose your pearls of wisdom when the thing crashes. It may be that there are a heap of chatterboxes trying to comment at once, and the server can’t cope.

7. Regarding Spud’s PhD thesis, I have a theory of my own.
    He claimed that it was DVA funded.
    I’ll bet a condition of funding is that the Magnum Opus be made publicly available. This is ostensibly to assist others in the 101st Tentslayers alumni with their PTSD, some of whom will only develop PTSD from reading Spud’s tortured prose.
    I suspect it has gone on the backburner for fear of the scrutiny it may draw once published.

8. Thanks, Dover. All is well. Vicki’s email was stuck in my Spam folder, as numerous others have been.

I have emailed her back now. I hope she gets it given the problems emails have suddenly developed.

Let me know here if not, Vicki.

9. Struthsays:

July 2, 2022 at 11:29 am

Pathetic….you do the deluded no favours blocking me Dover.

Err, if you can post something you probably aren’t blocked.
    But, you know, if you read Daily Exposé and Gonzalo Peso all day I guess it is easy to see a yuuuge censorship conspiracy in a simple screen refresh delay, or the occasional comment disappearing into the ether (or aether as some call it).
    Have you paid your bill?

10. sfw:
    “I know that JC and some others here think that I’m an economic and fiscal idiot, because I question the creation of money by the Reserve banks and to whom they distribute it.”

Only people who are in on the scam state someone who questions the scam is an idiot.

I suspect that saying is applicable here as well.
    Another one that may have some application:

If an expert cannot explain something to the man of average intelligence, suspect bullshit.

* and ** from the Book of Winston – Selected Quotes.

11. feelthebern says:
    July 2, 2022 at 8:47 am

I’m really looking forward to the DNC presidential circus for 2024.
    I love the idea of Hillary having a crack.
    And if Newsom runs, it will be a west coast/east coast DNC fight all over again like 2008.
    Even though BHO also had the Chicago machine, he was sucking down the Silicon Valley money while poor old Hillary had to settle for Wall Street.

As I think you’ve said, Bern, it’s going to be Newsom. Funny old world, Don Jr’s leg-over is Newsom’s ex

12. Today, the fantasy of Nazi UFOs has grown into an entire mythology in books, on TV and online. This book features an appealing cast of con-men and spies, complete madmen, real-life Nazis and completely made-up ones, operating right across the globe from South America to wartime Europe and Japan.

Iron Sky made for a good Fantasy film with Nazi flying saucers on the Moon though –

Julia Dietze was very ‘hot’ too.

13. Bruce O’Newk:

Words to live by! I’ve been amused by pollsters in the US who lately are trying to boost De Santis over Trump by finding the former is “neck and neck” with the latter in the primary polls.
    Then another poll comes along the same week with Trump having four times the number that De Santis has. I tend to believe the latter ones when they get reported, given the way the MSM are these days.

The media will always boost the Republican they think the Left can win against. Been doing it for years.

14. Feelthebern:

The police are not your friend.

The top performers would be ****** and the used car salesmen would be in the top ten.

15. Bruce of Newcastle says:
    July 2, 2022 at 7:27 am

Dot – The Shetlands and Hebrides were Norwegian for several centuries, before the Scottish kingdom managed to get control. Norway and Sweden were also a single entity for a long time until the bust up of the Union of Kalmar.

Bruce, the Norwegians at one time controlled the Irish Sea and ruled over the Hebrides, Isle of Man, Anglesey and the south-east Irish harbour towns (Cork, Waterford and Wexford). Their Norse rulers were the ancient Kings of Dublin.

The break-up of Norway and Sweden occurred much earlier than the dissolution of the Union of Kalmar. The Scylfing Dynasty ruled both Sweden and Norway from Uppsala in Sweden but they were defeated by the Geats (Goths) and were driven out to Norway during the reign of Ottar Vendelcrow.

16. Psays:

July 2, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Does anyone recall if Nilligan’s book was pulled during the Pell trials?

In Victoria but not the other states, after he was charged.

Nope.
    It was still on sale during that whole period.
    The publisher might have ceased distribution, but it was not cleared from the shelves in bookstores, along with Morris-Marr’s tome and others.
    Collins booksellers suddenly discovered the principle of “post sub-judice” when Winschuttle’s book was published.
    I enquired about it post HC appeal and was told it was “withheld for legal reasons” and wasn’t available.
    When I pointed out that all appeals were done and dusted and other books on the same subject were available (Nilligan et al) I got a shrug and a blank stare.

17. ……… after having decried the value of marriage (still decrying it btw) for most of her life.

Is she ? I don’t know but I remember reading of her marriage to some bloke in the UK more or less spur of the moment and lightly undertaken as a good frolic.

They went separate ways soon after but he fell on hard times later in life and she provided shelter at her place in Cambridge.

Not what you’d expect to see if you think she’s a hardened ideologue.

18. Bruce O’Newk:

No. A fake like her/him with a personality shallower than the oil film on a wet garage floor would fit in so well.

19. sfwsays: July 2, 2022 at 8:30 am
    Well here’s another example, the US Fed is paying $250 mill a day in interest payments to banks that have reserves at the Fed, these reserves are essentially money that was created by the Fed and given to banks, who then put them back in the Fed. Seems dodgy and corrupt to me, but what would I know?

Goes back a long way before governments (especially the US one) decided they could print unlimited amounts of money without consequence or conscience.

As banks lend out most of their deposits, the central banks required them to hand over a minimum amount of liquid assets to be held by the central bank to cover any bank runs or larger then normal withdrawals, to prevent any bank closures due to running out of cash.

20. Re problems commenting – internal server error message- let me know if you get this while using VPN. Otherwise, it might be an outstanding WordPress update I need to do but I’m afraid it might nuke some plugins like the shortcut tabs. I may just bite the bullet and do it but warn you all an update is in progress.

21. The Nazis destroyed tens of millions of lives and are synonymous with industrialised mass murder, but their role as champions of industrial wind power is less well-known.

That’s because they had no oil – and due to their mismanagement of both the mines and the Reichsbahn a massive shortage of coal.

22. I would like to see the annual list of the most and least respected professions these days.

I have never know why. I EXPECT to be lied and cheated by used car salesmen. Others not so much.

23. re: “The Future of Money | Huw Van Steenis”
    IMO the key points are at 0:34 and 6:15 https://youtu.be/zWMFULbV0ZM?t=415

You can’t have a run on the banks when there is no other bank you can take your CBDC into. Of course central-bank-guy thinks that’s a feature, not the bug it so clearly is.

He doesn’t want the central banks to go retail and hold accounts for each person… yet that is an outcome similar to letting the private sector use a CBDC as a ‘platform for innovation’. You can dress up the CBDC in whatever social/industry demographic niche retail mobile app you want, but a transaction within a private company would translate to an adjustment in a wholesale market transaction eventually. It’s just the company/bank transacting CBDC on your behalf. Isn’t the danger in the system outcome rather than who makes it happen? The focus on wholesale is just an attempt to avoid blame for what happens at retail.

Tomer Ravid, crypto entrepreneur and CEO at BloxTax, says:

“Blockchain technology is very, very safe, and works based on consensus. Everything is transparent, some would argue too transparent. If I know your wallet, I can see every transaction and amount you have. By design, CBDCs will be permission-based blockchains, which means the central bank has even more control of what is happening,” he says.

My guess is that the outcomes are still:
    * the central bank is still Too Big To Fail, and
    * the purchasing power of retail savings are still affected by inflation of the digital money wholesale supply by the central bank, and
    * the purchasing power of savings can be zeroed by the retail bank declining any transactions for any reason, which is not possible with trading in cash.
    * the central bank may require reporting of retail transactions to substantiate wholesale transactions (perhaps by attaching them to blocks on a wholesale blockchain system) meaning it is total spending surveillance, not just major transaction surveillance.
    * the central bank may even have the ability to block the transaction if Ravid’s statement is true of the particular CBDC in use.

Questions, comments, stinging criticisms?

24. OK, Lizzie, as long as there is no confusion and is understood that the monks of the desert were not iconoclasts nor were involved in the sacking Alexandria. Quite the reverse.

25. Will

Western central banks have not printed “unlimited” amounts of money. That’s just wrong. They explained what their actions were and that’s the reason we haven’t experienced hyperinflation. If markets believed they were going to print forever we’d be looking at an inflation rate of 10% a week.

I don’t have time, but I’ll explain my argument later.

SWF.
    Just a quick point. Other than capital, all other money held by banks is either loaned to them or held as deposits.
    The interest on bank reserves is a statuary requirement for the Fed and the member banks. If they’re receiving the interest payments, they are also paying out.

Stop reading Zero Hedge. It rot’s your brain.

26. China in Focus – NTD
    01:02 Hongkonger on City’s Situation: ‘We Cannot Go Back’
    03:53 Johnson: UK Doing ‘All It Can’ to Hold China to Commitments on Hong Kong
    04:40 Hong Kong’s Situation Explained
    06:31 World’s Largest Navy Drill Underway in Hawaii
    08:14 Top Taiwan Diplomat Requests Support in Case of War
    11:41 Report Exposes Alleged Beijing #Propaganda Tactics
    13:08 Bill Aims to Protect U.S. Agriculture, Farms
    14:11 Shanghai Disney Reopens After 3-Month Closure

27. Should I get out of bed & go to the post office to pick up a package?
    First world problems.

I ordered some gloves and a challis tie from the US a couple of weeks ago. They sent them by FedEx and I got them 8 days later.

First world solution.

I ordered from the same people about 2 years ago and it took over a month because Oz Post was included in the process. You know, a few days to get it to Mascot, where Oz Post got their clutches on it. Then the package was shunted to Victoria where it flitted from one place to another like a teenage socialite in the high season before it reluctantly presented itself at my door.

28. The Seven Network is breaking new ground this winter, hiring two young mums to host its Saturday horse racing coverage on the main channel while Bruce McAveney and Jason Richardson are on holiday.

Lizzie Jelfs is an accomplished English horsewoman who has worked as a foreman for some of Australia’s biggest stables and freelances as a horse picker for trainers and owners at the big horse sales.

Her TV partner, Emma Freedman, has forgotten more about horse racing than most people know. As the daughter of champion trainer Lee Freedman, who coached Makybe Diva to three Melbourne Cups and won dozens of other Group 1s, Emma grew up as a tyke around the equestrian talent in a thoroughbred stable, absorbing not only the knowledge of the three Freedman brothers (FBI, as they were known – Freedman Brothers Incorporated), but also their sense of humour.

Emma, who has just popped out two toddlers, calls Lizzie “Darl” and is always on the hunt for joke.
    Look out for them as stars of the Melbourne spring carnival and the next autumn carnival in Sydney.

29. Auron MacIntyre
    @AuronMacintyre
    1h
    This will eventually become a condition of employment and determine your access to banking services
    Quote Tweet

The Associated Press
    @AP
    · 8h
    New York would require people applying for a handgun license to turn over a list of their social media accounts so officials could verify their “character and conduct” under a bill being considered Friday by the state Legislature. https://apnews.com/article/new-york-gun-politics-legislature-kathy-hochul-38558a7dc679f01c213aea910da1ba88?taid=62bf481a2e631c000130d53a&utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter

Liberal neutrality was always a mirage.

30. Sancho Panzersays:
    July 2, 2022 at 1:23 pm
    JCsays:

July 2, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Turtlehead, fuck off, you waste of space.

Who is Turtlehead?
    Are you talkin’ to me?

31. PS: The Rosehill meeting has just been abandoned because of the deluge bucketing Sydney.

Just like the gypsy woman* said.

*gypsy woman being the BoM.

32. ML

Of late I have noticed AP aren’t updating their parcel tracker much as they used to. Pretty well much is received at then nothing till the morning it is to be delivered where the subsequent stops like are included. Mind you times are marked improvement but why have a tracker if it isn’t being honestly used.

33. Nothing from polls can be believed at all now, at least not without serious digging into the raw data. Everything is slanted for political advantage.

The ‘Fruit Loops’ who run these Polls invariably come back with the wrong results. I have a feeling that people give an answer and then maybe change their minds on Polling Day. There are a lot of ‘undecideds’ out there.

I remember being targeted by a camera crew and a fellow with a big ‘mic’ in his paws many years ago while strolling through Sydney Pitt Street Plaza. The fellow with the big ‘mic’ barreled me up and said that I had the opportunity to ask a ‘Pollie’ a question on camera. I said. “No thank you”. He appeared to be nonplussed as to why I didn’t want to take up this opportunity. I then said, “Well, there is no point.” He then said, “What do you mean?” I then said, “They never answer the ‘far king’ question – that’s why” and then proceeded to walk off on my merry way while his jaw hit the ground ‘thud’.

Priceless.

34. Am having problems commenting. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

sometimes I’m laughing so hard at my own jokes that I can’t even press ‘post comment’

35. ML at 1:42.
    It is rattling around Melbourne mail centres and they expect to deliver it by 7th July.
    One month.
    FMD.
    Cobb and Co was quicker.

36. feelthebernsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 2:06 pm

Just like the gypsy woman* said.

*gypsy woman being the BoM.

BOM = Bunch Of Muppets. A million dollars a day wee’d up the wall. Complete waste of Taxpayer money.

37. Re problems commenting – internal server error message- let me know if you get this while using VPN.

Never get it, VPNing from Oz server today. Rarely I get a DNS failure for the New Cat but the automatic re-search usually works.

38. Rockdoctorsays:

July 2, 2022 at 2:08 pm

ML

I don’t get much delivered but I did notice that. They used to show full history of movements, but now I only see last movement and expected delivery.
    I suspect the full history became too embarrassing.

39. bespokesays:

July 2, 2022 at 1:58 pm

There’s talk of Elon making mobiles

PLUS

Perth Tradersays:

July 2, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Rumour in todays West Aussie print is Elon is runnin’ around WA.

Looking for battery raw materials?

40. Some discussion up thread and old thread about computer technology. My introduction to the computer age was in 1975 as an 11y/o when my mother purchased a green LED Sharp Elsimate 8 digit calculator. One of the first uses of said calculator in 5th class was to punch out 8 numbers, turn the calculator upside down and spell out “big boobs” in numbers.

Not understanding in late 1975 that using a calculator for sexual amusement and giggles meant that we were early creators of rudimentary computer pornography.

41. Bruce of Newcastlesays:

July 2, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Rumour in todays West Aussie print is Elon is runnin’ around WA.

He’s in Italy.

The link is two hours old and says “Honored to meet Pontifex yesterday.”
    He doesn’t need Spacex to be in Rome yesterday and Perth today.

42. Just build the nukes, then everything else is surplus to requirements.

ah yes indeed … that’s the real opposition

the others are redundant after micro-nukes are installed

43. Herd on the Terrace: Could Elon Musk be making a flying visit to WA to bulk up on battery metals for Tesla?
    The West Australian
    Fri, 1 July 2022 1:57PM

Is Elon a Catholic….is the Pope Catholic?

44. I ordered a small appliance battery on 7th June from Sydney to be delivered via Australia Post.

Leave AssiePost alone. They’re busy working on their “sustainability” and “inclusion” not forgetting their “Corporate Responsibility Plan” underpinned by the “UN Sustainable Development Goals”.

45. Sancho Panzer says:
    July 2, 2022 at 1:23 pm

JCsays:

July 2, 2022 at 1:14 pm

Turtlehead, fuck off, you waste of space.

Who is Turtlehead?
    Are you talkin’ to me?

The idiot has a heart condition and I’ve literally begged/ pleaded with him to not speak to me as I don’t want to engage and if I do I run the risk of stressing him out. I’d then be accused of causing his demise.
    He either posts hit pieces about me early morning or his wife does like she used to whenever I was mean to him.

46. If I were her I’d stay far far away from this mess. (Michelle running for President)

A pair of grifters like the Magic Negro and the Wookie wouldn’t be able to resist the lure of another gouge at the trough.

47. Does anyone know what Cossack got thrown in the slammer for? I am guessing it was for more than just making a nuisance of himself.

His handlers trying to give him a bitta street cred?

48. I’m guessing you’re not a Christian, right?

I am.
    Not a Christian like Notafan.
    An actual Christian.

So answer my question Ed job…….what is wrong with declaring your Christianity?

Where did I say there was anything wrong, Sancho?
    You going the Gaslight again?

49. From the Daily Mail. Oops seems somebody f’d up as his newly built boat can’t get out

“Plans to dismantle an iconic Netherlands bridge for billionaire Jeff Bezos’ super yacht (2nd biggest in world, US500m) are halted following public outcry from local residents.”

50. Where did I say there was anything wrong, Sancho?
    You going the Gaslight again?

That’s low.
    Ok, you want to really insult people…….
    Don’t wait until people have forgotten the point you were making and then come back to it.
    You declared it would be ill conceived to declare your Christianity with the Australian government come sensus time, and I asked you why.

Felcher.

51. Saw Roger Stone on Patrick Beth David podcast with a former CIA guy.

Stone said he thought Michelle Obama would be best chance for Dems in 2024. Was a bit dismissive of De Santis and obviously preferred Trump.

52. Cossack named a sex offender

Is that right?
    I see Avi Yemini has had Domestic Violence issues as well?

Where does the [non legit] Right find these guys?

53. JCsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 2:46 pm
    Jeez, that would be a real economic lockdown

JPMORGAN SEES ‘STRATOSPHERIC’ $380 OIL ON WORST-CASE RUSSIAN CUT: BBG

Martin Armstrong’s Socrates has predicted the Oil price to be over $US 200 a barrel during 2023. Not long to go now. Glad that I no longer need to own a motor vehicle. My NSW Gold Opal Card is great value at a maximum of $A 2.50 a day when I use it.

54. I always assumed that ‘Turtle Head’ was Chris Bowen.

I knew a painter who could have been Chris Bowen’s twin, his nickname was The Turtle.

55. Got the impression Greer tried aged care for the novelty of the experience.
    Not because she lacked financial resources for anything else.

56. Cossack named a sex offender

Is that right?

Semantic ambiguity. Cossack is not the sex offender – he publicly named someone else as such. Which is so naughty these days it’s jail worthy.

57. Obama had a built a narrative around himself. Created the mythology that he started out serving the community (no one had ever heard community organiser before, and didn’t realise it was actually a political gig).

Almost as humble a beginning as the log cabin.

I don’t know if they can start fresh with the dour scowling dinotherium. They tried to soften and soften her image when Barack spent 8 years marvelling at himself in mirrors in the White House, but I don’t think any of it really took hold.

During the Obama years I think conservatives were dispirited. There was not much from the Bush years to be too ebullient about and the left seemed to rule everything.

Trump has given the right a confidence and energy it did not possess when Obama came on the scene, and the MSM has become part of what we see. It used to be that the MSM was like your eye – it showed you the world but you did not see it showing you. Now we know the eye is distorting the world and to make allowances for what it shows us.

I don’t think Barack would get the free ride he had in 2007 any more. And the bilious behemoth is no Barack.

58. Cossack is not the sex offender – he publicly named someone else as such. Which is so naughty these days it’s jail worthy.

By that yardstick Lisa Wilkinson is in real trouble.

59. Albo is getting slaughtered on Twatter. Read the comments, ignore the lovebot upticks.

60. Ha, why assume it’s you? It refers to the Mr. Scenariolist, Winston. He once linked a pic of himself for some stupid reason and I swear, he reminded me of a Caribbean turtle. Hence Turtlehead.

Oh, OK.
    It’s just that I have a long scaly neck and, some say, an angular head.
    I do worry that people call me turtle behind my back.
    But I have never posted a photo of myself.

61. Any advisor not also thinking that they’re on an unstoppable honeymoon should take the hint
    If I were AnAl I’d be planning lotza O/S travel for when the fuel tax reverts to normal .. LOL!

62. Hey, Dover – check your email, Squire.

P.S. The weather here in Sydneystan is bloody awful. 3:25pm and it’s as dark as 5:30pm.

Thanks, Gerbil Worming!

63. The water gods are exceedingly displeased at Villa Megan. We have been taught a lesson by the washing machine coin trap/ drain filter which refuses to give up the ill gotten gains left in pockets by the, ahem, XY chromosome holder in residence. And one additional XY visitor who regularly uses the parental laundry in preference to the public versions he is compelled to pay for.
    Half a dozen sodden towels later I have been forced into calling the ‘technician’ at $154.00 for 20 minutes and who cannot come until Wednesday afternoon.
    I hate resistentialism. Especially when it creates unpleasant mopping up operations and costs me money.

64. Macaroon’s got the “hots” for the “druggie’s moll” so he’s cozying up to AnAl to put in a good word for him .. LOL!
    Huh?
    Macron is a Flamer.
    Haven’t you noticed?

65. PS: The Rosehill meeting has just been abandoned because of the deluge bucketing Sydney.

Passed some “fitba” fields out Penrith way, around 1-ish, and several kids teams were playing soccer in the rain .. lotza mums & dads wiv umbrellas watching ..

66. There’s talk of Elon making mobiles

☑ African-American billionaire
    ☐ With a chip on his shoulder.
    ☑ Developed a neural implant.
    ☑ Runs a global satellite network.
    ☑ Offers cheap phones to the planet.

Kingsmen was a blueprint and a warning.
    Please, nobody annoy Elon.

67. I would like to see the annual list of the most and least respected professions these days.

1) Epidemiologists
    2) Chief Health Officers
    3) Doctors in general
    4) Politicians
    5) Police Officers
    6) Mainstream media of any stripe
    7) Statisticians
    8) ‘Klimate scientists’
    9) Economists
    10) RBA Governors

68. Got the impression Greer tried aged care for the novelty of the experience.

That wouldn’t surprise me rosie. I can see her playing merry hell in a nursing home to see the reaction. It may well have been a sobering experience too – I hope it was. It may also have prompted her decision to up stakes and live with her brother, because surely she observed the importance of family in the aged and ageing setting.

She’s no fool and one of our more interesting exports.

69. Matrix Transform:

ah yes indeed … that’s the real opposition
    the others are redundant after micronukes are installed

And that’s the guts of it. Post micronukes, Trillions of dollars are idled awaiting decommissioning and whatever recycling can be done on the bleached bones of the greatest scam the world has ever seen.
    Which is why we will not see micronukes in the next twenty years.

70. Cossack named a sex offender.

To clear up a potential double entendre:
    He allegedly breached court orders by revealing name of an alleged offender

71. Humphrey B Bear:

He might be seeking absolution from Sneakers. Or blessing the codpiece.

Where are we up to on the construction of said codpiece? Last I heard it was rotating laser beams in the bejeweled buckle holding up the 10kg sapphire centrepiece.

72. I would like to see the annual list of the most and least respected professions these days.

Human rights lawyers.

Absolute scum, they rank well below child molesters and drug dealers.

73. Ed Casesays:
    July 2, 2022 at 3:28 pm
    Huh?
    Macron is a Flamer.
    Haven’t you noticed?

We haven’t had your level of personal experience with him.

74. Rabz, what is the radio show tonight?

It’s my brother’s birthday, so I bought him a bottle of plonk (Wynn’s Coonawarra Shiraz — IMO, the world’s best red under $50), which I delivered over breakfast at his place.

He showed me a video of the night Elton John got his mentor Leon Russell inducted into the rock hall of fame.

I’ve always thought Russell’s Masquerade is one of the most beautiful pieces of modern music I have heard.

Russell died relatively young in 2016 from too much hard living. R.I.P.

75. Bourne1879:

If Michelle looks like getting the nomination from the Democrats, Hillary will scratch her eyes out, before Michelle shoots herself in the head – 12 times.

76. Megan, a Euro brand washing machine by any chance?

Their drain holes are perfect for the $2 coin, as I discovered when the mechanic had to come.

Two weeks later, another coin stuck in the drain. I’d watched the mechanic so thought I’d do it myself. Put it all back together and found a few odds and ends from the guts left over. The four-month old, $800 machine (purchased from the crooks at Big Mama’s in Hopper’s) was sitting on the nature strip by sundown.

Bought a $50 20-year-old top-loader on eBay and it never missed a trick until Mum died and I inherited her front loader, which is half as good as the old one it replaced.

77. Sancho Panzer says:
    July 2, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Oh, OK.
    It’s just that I have a long scaly neck and, some say, an angular head.

Reptile status confirmed.

78. A Bill Still documentary from 1996.

The Money Masters – The Rise Of The Bankers

Hammer Head
    1 year ago (edited)
    0:00:00 0. Prologue
    0:01:08 1. Overview
    0:11:03 2. The Money Changers
    0:12:19 3. Roman Empire
    0:13:53 4. The Goldsmiths
    0:18:34 5. Talley Sticks
    0:23:28 6. The Bank of England
    0:27:48 7. The Rise of the Rothschilds
    0:33:21 8. The American Revolution
    0:39:54 9. The Bank of North America
    0:42:25 10. The Constitutional Convention
    0:45:16 11. First Bank of the U.S.
    0:49:39 12. Napoleon’s Rise to Power
    0:52:21 13. Death of the First Bank
    0:54:27 14. Waterloo
    1:00:35 15. Second Bank of the U.S.
    1:01:54 16. Andrew Jackson
    1:11:48 17. Abraham Lincoln
    1:28:08 18. The Return of the Gold Standard
    1:38:50 19. Free Silver
    1:43:02 20. J.P. Morgan and the Crash of 1907
    1:47:58 21. Jekyll Island
    1:59:42 22. Federal Reserve Act of 1913
    2:11:19 23. World War I
    2:18:39 24. Great Depression
    2:32:37 25. World War II
    2:45:37 26. I.M.F. (International Monetary Fund)
    2:57:29 27. Conclusions
    3:06:01 28. Solutions
    3:12:53 29. Epilogue
    3:27:44 30. Credits

79. I would like to see the annual list of the most and least respected professions these days.

1) Epidemiologists
    2) Chief Health Officers
    3) Doctors in general
    4) Politicians
    5) Police Officers
    6) Mainstream media of any stripe
    7) Statisticians
    8) ‘Klimate scientists’
    9) Economists
    10) RBA Governors

I would like to add ‘Left Wing Nut Jobs’ to the List, however, being a ‘Left Wing Nut Job’ is not a profession.

80. Good stuff, Tom. The only rendition of that song I knew was Karen Carpenter from Now and Then.

Fascinating to hear how such different artists interpret a fine piece of music and great lyrics.

81. To be fair, this is a 15 year old machine that has been pretty much trouble free apart from this quirk of holding on to the one and two dollar coins in the manner of Scrooge McDuck.

Just looked at price of replacement. Aieee!

82. Watching My Fair Lady.
    The first time I’ve watched most of it.
    Used to dislike musicals but my two year old granddaughter loves ‘Wouldn’t it be luverly’, I was telling my sons how gorgeous she was singing it and the younger decided he had to watch the movie.

83. Old School Conservative says:
    July 2, 2022 at 3:43 pm

Cossack named a sex offender.

To clear up a potential double entendre:
    He allegedly breached court orders by revealing name of an alleged offender

I’ve heard that the “alleged” offender has already been tried and found guilty, so he’s not an “alleged” offender. For some reason, this person isn’t to be named, hence Boikov copped 10 months in the slammer for naming him.

Boikov annoyed too many “important” people, that’s probably why he’s locked up. Similar situation in Melbourne with that Smit girl, looks like she’s in trouble there too with the Law.

Our Lords and Masters must not be questioned and mocked, punishment faces those who do not comply.

84. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/07/former-obama-adviser-biden-sense-things-kind-control-video/?ff_source=Email&ff_medium=the-gateway-pundit&ff_campaign=dailypm&ff_content=2022-07-01

During CNN’s “The Lead with Jake Tapper” on Thursday, host Jake Tapper spoke with CNN senior political commentator and former senior Obama advisor David Axelrod, who echoed President Biden’s critics, admitting that things in the country are “out of control” and that Biden is “not in command.”
    The discussion between the two centered on how Biden is handling many of the political setbacks that have befallen his party and other forces threatening the country under his watch, including 40-year-high inflation, especially amid criticism from his own party…

85. Re Van Gogh
    William M Briggs
    @FamedCelebrity
    Jul 1
    Leave them.

Eventually their bones will bookend the painting, creating an astonishing effect.

86. Where are we up to on the construction of said codpiece? Last I heard it was rotating laser beams in the bejeweled buckle holding up the 10kg sapphire centrepiece

Actually looking for cost savings after iron ore fell below $150 a tonne.

87. For some reason, this person isn’t to be named, hence Boikov copped 10 months in the slammer for naming him.

This happens if the victim is underage and can be identified if the offender is named, so the victim was probably an underage rellie. And that is where I will stop speculating as I have no knowledge of who the Cossack named, nor the offender, not the victim, nor the offence.

88. Rockdoctorsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 10:15 am
    I hate MRI’s especially the head. Very claustrophobic experience. I had one after injuring my neck trauma to C4 & 5 vertebrae and another to investigate hearing loss. I never want to go through that again.

MRI’s of the Head every 3 months over the last 2 years of Covid – started to get used to the thrashing cement mixer and given weight over right eye will not close eyelid when lying on back, had found black silk eye mask solved the 30 Mins of bright light and I started to sleep for the 30 mins, other than after 1st run when they injected dye in cannula.

However, MRI beginning of this year Covid panic, had to wear face mask and eye mask for 1st time – and for the 1st I felt claustrophobic and panicked when I lay down – they allowed me to hang mask off ear and it went OK

Was surprised when Full Body PET Scan 3 weeks ago, after machine dye injection had to wait 50 minds for dye to circulate – PET Scan a breeze compared to MRI

89. Personally I doubt the Democrats have any intention of handing over control even if they lose every seat in the Mid Terms.

If they can steal one election, they can steal every election.

90. Thanks Diogenes.

This is where these crusading types lose me. They start off fine, and often I agree with them wholeheartedly… then go off at odd tangents once the matter in hand has lost traction or public interest. It appears to be ego and self promotion.

The perpetrator in these types of crimes is not named to protect the victim.

How difficult is this principle to understand?

91. The below article is dated 29 June and from British Medical Journal. Author is Australian who previously worked for ABC. 96% of TGA income from fees ! Had not heard or read this before which is another example of how the press has failed in past 2 years.

From FDA to MHRA: are drug regulators for hire?

Patients and doctors expect drug regulators to provide an unbiased, rigorous assessment of investigational medicines before they hit the market. But do they have sufficient independence from the companies they are meant to regulate? Maryanne Demasi investigates

Over the past decades, regulatory agencies have seen large proportions of their budgets funded by the industry they are sworn to regulate.

In 1992, the US Congress passed the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), allowing industry to fund the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) directly through “user fees” intended to support the cost of swiftly reviewing drug applications. With the act, the FDA moved from a fully taxpayer funded entity to one supplemented by industry money. Net PDUFA fees collected have increased 30 fold—from around $29m in 1993 to $884m in 2016.1

In Europe, industry fees funded 20% of the new EU-wide regulator, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), in 1995. By 2010 that had risen to 75%; today it is 89%.2

In 2005 in the UK, the House of Commons’ health committee evaluated the influence of the drug industry on health policy, including the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).3 The committee was concerned that industry funding could lead the agency to “lose sight of the need to protect and promote public health above all else as it seeks to win fee income from the companies.” But nearly two decades on, little has changed, and industry funding of drug regulators has become the international norm.

The BMJ asked six leading regulators, in Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan, the UK, and US, a series of questions about their funding, transparency in their decision making (and of data), and the rate at which new drugs are approved. We found that industry money permeates the globe’s leading regulators, raising questions about their independence, especially in the wake of a string of drug and device scandals.

Industry fees
    Industry money saturates the globe’s leading regulators. The BMJ found that the majority of regulators’ budget—particularly the portion focused on drugs—is derived from industry fees.

But for decades academics have raised questions about the influence funding has on regulatory decisions, especially in the wake of a string of drug and device scandals—including opioids, Alzheimer’s drugs, influenza antivirals, pelvic mesh, joint prostheses, breast and contraceptive implants, cardiac stents, and pacemakers.4567 An analysis of three decades of PDUFA in the US has shown how a reliance on industry fees is contributing to a decline in evidentiary standards, ultimately harming patients.8 In Australia, experts have called for a complete overhaul of the TGA’s structure and function, arguing that the agency has become too close to industry.

Sociologist Donald Light of Rowan University in New Jersey, US, who has spent decades studying drug regulation, says, “Like the FDA, the TGA was founded to be an independent institute. However, being largely funded by fees from the companies whose products it is charged to evaluate is a fundamental conflict of interest and a prime example of institutional corruption.”

Light says the problem with drug regulators is widespread. Even the FDA—the most well funded regulator—reports 65% of its funding for the evaluation of drugs comes from industry user fees and over the years user fees have expanded to generic drugs, biosimilars, and medical devices.

“It’s the opposite of having a trustworthy organisation independently and rigorously assessing medicines. They’re not rigorous, they’re not independent, they are selective, and they withhold data. Doctors and patients must appreciate how deeply and extensively drug regulators can’t be trusted so long as they are captured by industry funding.”

External advisers
    Concern over COIs is not just directed at those who work for the regulators but extends to the advisory panels intended to provide regulators with independent expert advice. A BMJ investigation last year found several expert advisers for covid-19 vaccine advisory committees in the UK and US had financial ties with vaccine manufacturers—ties the regulators judged as acceptable. A large study that investigated the impact of COIs among FDA advisory committee members over 15 years found that those with financial interests solely in the sponsoring firm were more likely to vote in favour of the sponsor’s product, and that people who served on advisory boards solely for the sponsor were significantly more likely to vote in favour of the sponsor’s product. Research exploring the matter from a cross-national comparative perspective is lacking, however.

In Australia, the membership of the TGA’s Advisory Committee on Vaccines is published on the agency’s website. The forms for recording past and current financial and non-financial interests are not, however, made public. A Freedom of Information (FOI) Act request for their financial disclosures in August 2020 had names and details of the disclosures redacted. After seeking additional details, the TGA indicated that this was “personal information” and therefore usually exempt under the FOI act. Subsequently, panel members were approached directly by email and asked whether they would be willing to publish their declarations, but there was no response. Instead, they referred the enquiry back to the TGA which was willing to reveal that 5 of 10 committee members disclosed COIs—but did not say which members or provide any specifics, adding that “these interests usually do not give rise to a conflict.” The agency’s policy allows for excluding members from certain meetings because of a COI, but details of the COI and reasons for the exclusion are not published.

Joel Lexchin, a drug policy researcher at York University in Toronto, says, “People should know about any financial COIs that those giving advice have so that they can evaluate whether those COIs have influenced the advice they are hearing. People need to be able to trust what they hear from public health officials and a lack of transparency erodes trust.”

Of the six major regulators approached by The BMJ, only Canada’s drug regulators did not routinely seek advice from an independent committee and its evaluation team was the only one completely free of financial COIs. European, Japanese, and UK regulators publish a list of members with their full declarations online for public access, while the FDA judges COIs on a meeting-by-meeting basis and can grant waivers allowing participation of members.

Transparency, conflicts of interest, and data
    Over the past decade, there have been improvements in the transparency and accessibility of trial data. Today the EMA and Health Canada (HC) both post to their website substantial amounts of clinical data received by the drug sponsor. In addition, Japan’s Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA) posts non-clinical data summaries.

Most regulatory agencies do not, however, undertake their own assessment of individual patient data, but rather rely on summaries prepared by the drug sponsor. The TGA, for example, says it conducts its covid-19 vaccine assessments based on “the information provided by the vaccine’s sponsor.” According to a FOI request from last May, the TGA said it had not seen the source data from the covid-19 vaccine trials. Rather, the agency evaluated the manufacturer’s “aggregate or pooled data.” The TGA does not have the individual participant level datasets pertaining to the covid-19 vaccine trials,17 which are held by the vaccine manufacturer.

“The TGA should not be relying on the analysis of that data produced by the drug companies. Rather the TGA should be reanalysing the source data,” says Lexchin. “Further, the TGA should be holding public hearings before new drugs are approved so that it can hear from members of the public and outside scientists.”

The TGA is hardly alone. Among global regulators, only two—the FDA and PMDA—routinely obtain patient level datasets. And neither proactively publish these data. Recently, a group of more than 80 professors and researchers called the Public Health and Medical Professionals for Transparency sued the FDA for access to all the data which the agency used to grant licensure for Pfizer’s covid-19 vaccine.19 The FDA argued that the burden on the agency was too great and requested that it be allowed to release appropriately redacted documents at the rate of 500 pages a month, a speed that would take approximately 75 years to complete. In a win for transparency advocates, this was overturned by a US Federal Court Judge, ruling that the FDA would need to turn over all the appropriately redacted data within eight months. Pfizer sought to intervene to ensure “information that is exempt from disclosure under the FOI act is not disclosed inappropriately,” but its request was denied.

Speedy approvals
    Following the AIDS crisis of the 1980s and 1990s, PDUFA “user fees” were introduced in the US to fund additional staff to help speed the approval of new treatments. Since then, there has been concern over the way it moulded the regulatory review process—for example, by creating “PDUFA dates,” deadlines for the FDA to review applications, and a host of “expedited pathways” for speeding drugs to market. The practice is now a global norm.

Today, all major regulators offer expedited pathways that are used in a significant proportion of new drug approvals. In 2020, 68% of drug approvals in the US were through expedited pathways, 50% in Europe, and 36% in the UK.

Accelerated approval processes have resulted in new drugs that were more likely to be withdrawn for safety reasons, more likely to carry a subsequent black box warning, and more likely to have one or more dosage forms voluntarily discontinued by the manufacturer.

“One reason why drugs approved by the FDA so close to the deadline may have had more safety problems is that the FDA reviewers were afraid of going over the deadline for making a decision and thereby jeopardising the revenue that the FDA gets from drug companies,” says Lexchin.

Aaron Kesselheim, professor of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, adds that accelerated approvals generally have a lower burden of proof for efficacy.

“The accelerated approval pathway explicitly changes the underlying efficacy ‘standard’ in that it allows approval based on changes to a surrogate measure that is not well validated, and is only reasonably likely to predict clinical benefit,” says Kesselheim who resigned from an FDA advisory committee last year in protest over the agency’s approval of a controversial Alzheimer’s drug. Following the committee’s vote against approval, the FDA shifted the goal posts, approving aducanumab through an accelerated approval based on the disputed surrogate measure of lowered visible ?-amyloid protein levels.23

Courtney Davis, a medical and political sociologist at the Kings College London, says that a general taxation or a drug company levy would be better options to fund regulators. “PDUFA is the worst kind of arrangement since it allows industry to shape FDA policies and priorities in a very direct way. Each time PDUFA was reauthorised, industry had a seat at the table to renegotiate the terms of its funding and determine which performance metrics and goals the agency should be evaluated by. Hence the FDA’s focus on making quicker and quicker approval decisions—even for drugs not judged to be therapeutically important for patients.”

The regulator-industry revolving door
    Critics argue that regulatory capture is not only being baked in by the way in which agencies are funded, but also staffed. A “revolving door” has seen many agency officials end up working or consulting for the same companies they regulated.

At the FDA, generally regarded as the world’s premier regulator, nine out of 10 of its past commissioners between 2006 and 2019 went on to secure roles linked with pharmaceutical companies, and its 11th and most recent, Stephen Hahn, is working for Flagship Pioneering, a company that acts as an incubator for new biopharmaceutical companies.

In February, the US Senate narrowly confirmed Robert Califf, a cardiologist, to lead the FDA, a position he previously held under the Obama administration. Califf’s rehiring led some senators to argue that his ties to the pharmaceutical industry made him unfit for the role. Financial disclosure forms show Califf was paid $2.7m by Verily Life Sciences and in 2021 held a position on the boards of two pharmaceutical companies, AmyriAD and Centessa Pharmaceuticals.

After resigning from a senior position in the FDA’s vaccine division, Philip Krause secured a role in the biotech sector. One study found more than a quarter of the FDA employees who approved cancer and haematology drugs between 2001 and 2010 left the agency and now work or consult for pharmaceutical companies.25

Beyond the FDA, Ian Hudson, chief executive of the UK’s MHRA between 2013 and 2019, now serves on the board of biotech company Sensyne Health and is a senior adviser for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Before joining the MHRA, Hudson held various senior roles at pharmaceutical giant SmithKline Beecham.

Reform
    Critics argue that both small and large structural changes are necessary to help restore regulators’ ability to carry out independent decision making, free of industry influence.

Lexchin outlines several reforms for advisory committees, including that all financial COIs, including the dollar amount of payment, be disclosed along with an explanation about why these people cannot be replaced with someone without COIs. Lexchin’s suggestions align with longstanding recommendations from the US Institute of Medicine.

Kesselheim says one crucial step is for the FDA to re-examine its approach to expedited approvals. “There needs to be more clarity about the endpoints and what the scientific basis is for choosing an endpoint.” Kesselheim says greater assurances are needed that the endpoints selected truly are “reasonably likely” to predict clinical benefit, as the FDA’s accelerated approval standard requires. For expedited drugs, “you also need to make sure that a confirmatory trial is underway at the time of approval, so that it can be completed in a timely fashion. And if it isn’t completed or the trial is negative, then you need to think about how you might pull back on the product,” he says.

Light says it is no longer possible for doctors and patients to receive unbiased, rigorous evaluations from drug regulators. He suggests setting up non-profit organisations like Germany’s Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care, which was established to carry out evaluations of approved drugs that are independent of industry, rigorous, unbiased, and transparent. “The question is why weren’t drug regulators doing this trustworthy, transparent, rigorous, unbiased job in the first place?” says Light.

While historical drug disasters like sulfanilamide and thalidomide raised the stature of regulatory agencies, Light argues regulators now need their own watchdog and is calling for a drug and vaccine safety board, independent of the drug regulator, with the authority, staffing, and funds to investigate incidents of patient harm. “Countries have independent safety boards for airlines and their passengers. Why not for drugs and patients too?” says Light.

92. If they can steal one election, they can steal every election.

The Dems have all the pieces in place to run the US into the ground as a lawless Third World shithole: news media in their pocket, a corrupt judiciary, a cratering economy that benefits only the rich and most of America’s politicians on the take — even those in the GOP.

A second civil war seems inevitable.

93. I don’t know, Woolfe. It might be better if the victim (or their family) was consulted on the matter. They could have right of veto.

These cases are always fraught.

94. Just had an interesting article on Lithuania & the escalation of the Ukraine conflict. Unfortunately, it is a subscription newsletter & it came to me through a text message inclusion – so I can’t post a link.

But this is the opening par:

After World War 2 an agreement was made that Lithuania would allow unimpeded transport lines for Russia along this corridor. ………If I was a Lithuanian, I’d be packing my bags …….”

Would love to post the rest of this piece & will see what I can do. But it certainly adds to the dangerous escalation of this conflict.

95. Of the six regulators, Australia had the highest proportion of budget from industry fees (96%) and in 2020-2021 approved more than nine of every 10 drug company applications. Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) firmly denies that its almost exclusive reliance on pharmaceutical industry funding is a conflict of interest (COI). In response to a query, the agency said, “All fees and charges are prescribed in our legislation. To provide transparency, the TGA fees and charges are published on the TGA website.”

corruption in plain sight, the very best

96. The abortion protesters in Melbourne are out of their minds. What effect do they think the protests will have on the US Supreme Court?

Some fat idiotic woman marcher said she has a daughter and a granddaughter who will not have the right to choose.

97. If they can steal one election, they can steal every election.

Dunno Beery. In 2020 the steal couldn’t have happened in some (most?) counties without the help of Republicans. That shouldn’t happen in the mid-terms.

98. “In a move of staggering stupidity and hubris, Lithuanians banned the transit of Russian goods via the Suwalki corridor to Kaliningrad this week. Kaliningrad, which is wedged between Poland on the west and Lithuania on the east, is home to almost a half-million Russians and the headquarters for the Russian Navy’s Baltic Sea free.

99. But it certainly adds to the dangerous escalation of this conflict.

Only if Putin chooses to.

He can still fly and ship goods and people in without difficulty.

At the end of the day its sovereign Lithuanian territory.

100. Crossiesays:
    July 2, 2022 at 5:07 pm

This fat idiotic woman needs to realise that the US Supreme Court has no jurisdiction in Australia. Just check out the State laws for abortion here in Australia. So, her daughter and granddaughter will most likely have the right to kill (abort) their unborn baby if they meet with the legal requirements and choose to do so.

We now need new laws where fat idiotic women/men/its can also be aborted subject to a majority decision of one. ‘We the People’ all get to take turns with the vote.

101. At the end of the day its sovereign Lithuanian territory.

They ceded a right of way though by treaty. Dumb fucks. Serve them right if they get done over.

102. There are a lot of people in this country still fighting against the irresponsible recommendation (indeed mandating in some areas) of insufficiently tested vaccines against Covid. Many are very experienced professionals in the area. I personally know one of them – Dr. Phil Altman – who has written articles in 2021 in Quadrant expressing his professional outrage. He has extensive experience in the field – indeed his company operated Random Clinical Trials of various drugs. He recently gave a presentation at a Summit in Old on the vaccines. Here is a report on the Summit:

103. But it certainly adds to the dangerous escalation of this conflict.

Only if Putin chooses to.

He can still fly and ship goods and people in without difficulty.

At the end of the day its sovereign Lithuanian territory.

And, the Lithuanians are not stopping all trains. Only those goods/services that are subject to the Sanctions being applied to Russia. Russian people can still travel by train across Lithuania to the other territory, as I understand it.

104. The abortion protesters in Melbourne are out of their minds. What effect do they think the protests will have on the US Supreme Court?

Yes they are incredibly stupid. Maybe they think the West Wing and Ophra apply here. Either, it makes them feel important.

105. They ceded a right of way though by treaty.

106. Yes I wonder what going to happen in Nov, say the GOP wins (the ‘rats not able to stuff enough ballots)- will they take on the steaming old turd? Impeach the old grub?

107. I don’t believe so; there’s an agreement negotiated when Lithuania gained independence in 1990.

The Duma was moving to rescind their independence, which is why they prevented land access to Kaliningrad. Quid pro quo, you screw me we screw you back, and oh by the way we’re in NATO. Nyah, nyah, nyah. Of course NATO ain’t exactly a monolithic alliance, more a herd of craven sheep, so it was a bit naughty to poke the bear like that.

108. Yes they are incredibly stupid. Maybe they think the West Wing and Ophra apply here.

We really should have civics tests before granting people the right to vote.

109. The Duma was moving to rescind their independence…

Yes, I’ve pointed that out here before, Bruce.

Of course, it was political theatre, as Russia no longer has sovereignty over Lithuania, but one can understand that it might have got the Lithuainians’ hackles up in the current environment.

110. Why can’t the Russian Navy provide transit or even civilian vessels? They are not cut off.

Don’t be an idiot.
    There’s a Treaty guaranteeing access, and the sea trip from the White Sea around Scandinavia and into the Baltic is about 3,000 km by ship plus another 1,000 by road/rail to the Arctic.

111. One Solution Against Tyranny Is Creating State Guards to Defend the Constitution and Fight Back Against the Deep State

Until the State Guard gets infiltrated by “progressives” and turned into a force of oppression.
    No earthly system will ever be perfect, but the only chance of staving off catastrophe is for the general public to understand the 100% failure rate of socialism and its 100% rate of conversion to misery and tyranny, and to want it not to happen to them. That’s why the march through the education system has been such a disaster.

112. Zipstersays:
    July 2, 2022 at 5:06 pm

corruption in plain sight, the very best

Exactly. All fees and charges should be levied by the Federal Government. Then, the Federal Government can fund the TGA separately. To have the TGA levy the fees and charges directly is a blatant conflict of interest IMHO. This needs to be fixed now.

Get the new LayBore Guv’ment on the case. Yeah right. In any event, this should never have been structured this way and the Libs/Nats could have fixed it. Yeah right. Maybe not as their ‘management’ of this virus thingy was appalling IMHO.

113. Don’t be an idiot.

Ed, you might try looking at a map before making any further comment on this.

114. He can still fly and ship goods and people in without difficulty.
    No he can’t and why should he?
    It’s a Blockade, an Act of War.

At the end of the day its sovereign Lithuanian territory.

Lithuania is a joke Country led by joke people.
    What’s the average Lithuanian in Vilnius Street think about this insanity?
    He’s be shitting himself.

115. callisays:
    July 2, 2022 at 4:53 pm
    Thanks Diogenes.

The perpetrator in these types of crimes is not named to protect the victim.

How difficult is this principle to understand?

Vigilantes don’t care it’s all about them.

116. Lana Murphy
    @LanaMurphy
    · 3h
    Just as the pro-abortion rally was ending – a small group of anti vax/anti gov hijacked it. They’re telling the group “we are here for the same reason, my body, my choice”. You can see the demonstrators don’t want them here @9NewsMelb

Woo, that guy.

117. Lithuania is a joke Country led by joke people.

I dare you to walk into the Brisbane Lithuanian Club and repeat that out loud.

49 Gladstone Rd, Highgate Hill.

Report back.

118. So nothing to do with enforcing EU sanctions.

Theoretically, but more to do with the independence thing. The EU got cross with Lithuania because of the embargo and have been negotiating a fudge.

EU nears compromise deal to defuse standoff with Russia over Kaliningrad (30 Jun)

European officials are in talks about exempting the territory from sanctions, which have hit industrial goods such as steel so far, paving the way for a deal in early July if EU member Lithuania drops its reservations, said the people, who declined to be named because the discussions are private.

So it isn’t really about sanctions or the EU wouldn’t be negotiating to give an exemption. The initial cause of all this is of course Lithuania sending a lot of arms to Ukraine, which Russia was annoyed about, hence the try-on to void Lithuanian independence, which then pissed off the Lithuanians enough to close the land route. It’s the usual tit for tat stuff that causes world wars and such like.

Actually going back a step Russia arranging the migrant invasion this time last year I think was the first thing that started it all. Lithuania wasn’t happy about that.

119. What’s the point of today’s abortion protest in Melbourne? Is it just performative? Is it simple solidarity with libs in US? It can’t have anything to do with laws here in Australia which are so liberal that most Europeans would be shocked. Is it just rubbing their callous disregard in our faces because they can?

120. dover0beachsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 6:03 pm
    What’s the point of today’s abortion protest in Melbourne?

one does wonder.

Do they know that the situation in Oz (federal hands-off, abortion laws controlled by states) is exactly the situation the US has just moved to ?

Idiots.. every one of them.

121. Didn’t Germaine Greer once proclaim she asked permission of the local aboriginals to re-enter Oz, every time she came back in from o/s?

122. I dare you to walk into the Brisbane Lithuanian Club and repeat that out loud.

49 Gladstone Rd, Highgate Hill.

Report back.

It’s just around the corner, i’ve worked in the area on and off since 1975.
    Anyway, I mentioned your name, the blokes asked if you’re the guy who hangs around the dunnies out the back wanting to suck cocks.
    Over to you, Roger.

123. Our Lords and Masters must not be questioned and mocked, punishment faces those who do not comply

minus horses
    plus internets

124. “In a 2018 report by the Hungarian Demographic Research Institute, Zsolt Speder and Balazs Kapitany wrote that as women born after the turn of the millennium mature, the number “able to give birth will continue to decrease, to the extent that we must reckon on a drop in the number of births – even given the possible increase in willingness to have children. If the growth in fertility grinds to a halt (or even goes into reverse), that may in future result in a dramatic fall in the number of births.”

in fact Hungary’s population has been shrinking for 40 years and even with family friendly policies the average number of children is 1.55

125. I take it that this comment means you’ve gutlessed out on Roger’s challenge?

What it means is that the discussion was civil until Roger decided
    to make it personal.
    And,
    mind your own fucking business.

126. Ed Casesays:
    July 2, 2022 at 6:13 pm

I’ll take that as a “yes”.

BTW, re your 5.42pm comment, here’s a geography quiz – how far is it by ship from the port of St Petersburg to the port of Kaliningrad?

127. Named a paedo. Derryn Hinch has done time for similar.

With Simeon he was being a serial pest but skating close to the line, this was an excuse for payback.

128. ……… after having decried the value of marriage (still decrying it btw) for most of her life.

She married as a joke when quite young and it lasted about six months at best. That she let him stay at her place for a period later on is merely by the by. In her Oz interview re aged care she again slams marriage as something she has been glad to escape, for she still says:

She wonders if same-sex marriage, also sanctioned by the US Supreme Court, may be next to fall, “because that right is also not there in the constitution. Although, my position has always been, why would anyone want to get into marriage? It’s the worst system ever invented.”

That’s not how I feel about either of my two marriages, both of which have brought forth joy and children, as well as some great griefs. On the griefs, well, life is like that. You take the knocks; it may be that people can be imperfect, each and all of us, not marriage itself.

You can’t tinker with marriage, as SSM shows, for it brings up children absent one biological parent by design. Not a good thing. I wonder if Greer realises this, for she makes no further comment on the possible move of the US Supreme Court re that in the same way she refuses to be drawn further into the abortion commentary.

129. Indolentsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 5:58 pm
    They just can’t help themselves.

Mask mandate to return to Queensland? | Coronavirus | 9 News Australia

All the masks do is to stop people breathing properly. The virus is smaller than the mask mesh so the virus just goes right through the mask and into the airways and then into the lungs. Then into the bloodstream.

Make all ‘Pollies’ were masks and gags. And handcuffs and leg irons. At all times.

130. Germaine today seems to me to be like a rather nice and yet sometimes waspish maiden aunt.

All power to that part of her. Mellowing, but still with a sting.
    Australia’s literati feminists will flock to her presence.
    I hope she surprises them.

I think she will also find herself inundated by affectionate Australians of all types these days.

131. Don’t be an idiot.

OTOH, the journey from St Petersburg to Kaliningrad is much shorter.

Or had you forgotten about St Petersburg, Dickless?

132. Didn’t Germaine Greer once proclaim she asked permission of the local aboriginals to re-enter Oz, every time she came back in from o/s?

From memory, yes – she claimed that, whenever she returned to Australia, she was met at the airport by a delegation of the indigenous, and she wouldn’t leave the airport until they had given her permission …

133. I am no particular admirer of the Aussie Cossack, but it seems to me that there is somewhat of a double standard concerning the enforcement of laws pertaining to the naming and shaming of persons who might or might not be guilty of some type of sex offence.

134. Lithuania is a joke Country led by joke people.
    What’s the average Lithuanian in Vilnius Street think about this insanity?
    He’s be shitting himself.

135. Whitefella Jump Up: The shortest way to nationhood
    Germaine Greer
    Out of stock
    $17.99

In Whitefella Jump Up, Germaine Greer suggests that embracing Aboriginality is the only way Australia can fully imagine itself as a nation. In a wide-ranging essay she looks at the interdependence of black and white and suggests not how the Aborigine question may be settled but how a sense of being Aboriginal might save the soul of Australia.

136. In a sweeping and magisterial essay, touching on everything from Henry Lawson to multiculturalism, Germaine Greer argues that Australia must enter the Aboriginal web of dreams.

Germaine could take the piss with the best of them.

137. “Hughsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 6:38 pm
    I am no particular admirer of the Aussie Cossack, but it seems to me that there is somewhat of a double standard concerning the enforcement of laws pertaining to the naming and shaming of persons who might or might not be guilty of some type of sex offence.”

Christian Porter and George Pell as opposed to Bill Shorten.

138. Are we doing “Maudlin Dirges for Absinthe Friends”

Pancho, if that isn’t a topic for a future thread then I’m an extra terrestrial space lizard.

139. In a sweeping and magisterial essay, touching on everything from Henry Lawson to multiculturalism, Germaine Greer argues that Australia must enter the Aboriginal web of dreams.

Yes, let’s turn the country into Wadeye.

140. OK I am at a dead end. Twitter blocking me from reading posts unless I log in, that one they can go eat a big bag of hairy male appendages. They have always been free to see till recently.

What perplexes me is all my internet settings block their cookies, this is a way around this firewall I have been able to google and worked till even more recently. However I am forever deleting said cookies despite being not allowed.

Question for computer types, how is twitter able to over-ride my computer settings and any go arounds appreciated.

141. she claimed that, whenever she returned to Australia, she was met at the airport by a delegation of the indigenous, and she wouldn’t leave the airport until they had given her permission …

Nobody tell her she was actually dealing with Customs officers.

142. OTOH, the journey from St Petersburg to Kaliningrad is much shorter.

Or had you forgotten about St Petersburg, Dickless?

He’ll have been watching this video on Artic Convoys featuring Drachinifel, I suspect.

And then nodded off in the middle of it and started dreaming of Mermans-k.

And with a serious case of Murmansk and their mer-musk on the brain, Grigs immediately forgot that Russia has Baltic Sea ports other than Kalingrad.

Which I will now refer to as Königsberg out of deference to my Prussian ancestors, and to upset Dover… 🙂

143. OK I am at a dead end. Twitter blocking me from reading posts unless I log in, that one they can go eat a big bag of hairy male appendages. They have always been free to see till recently.

It’s just having a turn.

Every so often, Twitter feels its gypsum and tries to get all dictatorial on us. It was doing that to me last night.

144. In Whitefella Jump Up, Germaine Greer suggests that embracing Aboriginality is the only way Australia can fully imagine itself as a nation.

so we find some sit-down money, get grogged up and punch on with the women ?

145. Funny how so many Western leaders, such as Blowjob, AnAl, Poodle Micron, Turdeau and the Sniffer in Chief aren’t particularly interested in securing their own borders but are obsessed with securing Ukraine’s borders. Funny how so many of these leaders have spent years decrying the notions of nationalism and borders and happily smearing people who advocate for nationalism and borders as “racist” yet now fly to Keeeeeeev to grandstand about Ukrainian sovereignty with a clown.

Strange times.

146. Rockdoctorsays:
    July 2, 2022 at 6:57 pm

I find that if I refresh, go back to the top, then scroll down a long way before releasing the left click I don’t get blocked while reading from the bottom up till I get near the top. Then if I refresh and read down from the top I usually miss out on only one comment.

147. Ed Case says:
    July 2, 2022 at 5:42 pm

Don’t be an idiot.

It’s around 1,000 kms from the Port of St. Petersburg to the Port of Kaliningrad, a two day voyage.

148. John Sheldrick says:
    July 2, 2022 at 5:44 pm

The greater conflict of interest is the TGA’s dual role as the promoter of the vaxx, and as the reporting agency for investigating adverse events. There should have been a separate agency who was responsible for investigating adverse events.

149. Funny how so many Western leaders, such as Blowjob, AnAl, Poodle Micron, Turdeau and the Sniffer in Chief aren’t particularly interested in securing their own borders but are obsessed with securing Ukraine’s borders.

Don’t forget their attitude to weapons, those owned by the citizens of these countries are an existential threat, but government losing tens of thousands in Afghanistan is no big deal, and pouring them into Ukraine is virtuous.

150. John Sheldrick:

It’s about relevance, John.
    They have to have an opportunity to shout and scream, chuck the dollies out of pram, and hook up for some horizontal folk dancing.
    Let them, as long as they don’t glue themselves to roads or paintings or some such.
    Perhaps they will get lucky and score, just don’t take photos. Please.

151. Tomsays:

July 2, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Rabz, what is the radio show tonight?

I was going to suggest that it might be a bit early to get into the Shiraz but, given you are up at 4:00 am, I’ll give you a pass.

152. Our man on the ground in Vilnius, Dickless, has taken the vox pop poll of the person ion the street. Luckily, they all speak English.

Yes but Head Case doesn’t speak English. He speaks gibberish with a ‘bogan’ accent.

153. It’s just around the corner, i’ve worked in the area on and off since 1975.

Dickless seems very – familiar – with the dunnies at the Lithuanian Club. Flamer?

154. What’s the point of today’s abortion protest in Melbourne? Is it just performative? Is it simple solidarity with libs in US?

Was munty in attendance?

155. Ed Casesays:
    July 2, 2022 at 6:13 pm
    I take it that this comment means you’ve gutlessed out on Roger’s challenge?

What it means is that the discussion was civil until Roger decided
    to make it personal.
    And,
    mind your own fucking business.

Only under your loose definition of “civil”.

Perhaps you should heed your own advice, as offered in your final sentence?