2,008 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 19 Nov 2022”

1. “Just watched the Bolt segment. She handled herself very well.
    I hope she sues the buttocks off 60 minutes.”

I’ve just watched it. She’s very impressive and given what she’s endured over the last few days by scum at The Age and 60 Minutes, she’s very composed and dignified.

2. Carpe Jugulum I have sent ok to Dover, A new building inspector on site today to find all current building problems. Not sure if I told you that last inspector told me that eaves had not been attached properly and causing water damage to skirting boards . Waterproofing under balconies a big query on condition.also. This week photos being taken of leak damage and mould in apartments None of this has been costed before tender accepted by O CC . On current affairs , insurance company said they did not cover damage done before building was bought so wondering how does that effect owners who bought apartments not off the plan but second, even third hand with building faults.From time of completion .

3. News
    SAS veteran Ben Roberts-Smith wants war crime investigator’s diary, court told
    Perry DuffinNCA NewsWire
    Mon, 21 November 2022 2:56PM

There are markers symbolic of the health of the West: Trump being hounded and cheated showed a deep sickness; the Hunchback winning and BRS losing will be a cancer in the guts.

4. West Australian “independent” Kate Chaney is weighing into the treatment of detainees in the Western Australian Juvenile justice system – she wants the Federal Government to intervene.

The general thread of comments from the great unwashed is “How many juvenile detainees can you put up at your house?”

5. Sounds like Steggles is pushing for censorship for wrongthink. Speaks volumes about the burgers of Mosman that they would elect such a grotesque waste of space. Spupid and nasty. Another effing lawyer too.

6. Just watching Rita Panahi, if you want to know what’s wrong with the young in this country, she’s interviewed a young man, about 25, in the leafy well heeled suburb of Sandringham, he says as follows (I kid you not).

Rita….”what are the big issues for you in this election?”

Young man…”umm, mainly the economy and the state of climate change, you’ve seen all the rain recently, it’s not good you know, I want the sunshine and the rain, not only the rain”…..and then he laughs like a 10 year old.

Rita….”do you think your vote can impact the weather?”

Young man…”I’d like to think that if the right party gets in, it can make a good change”.

Fuuuuuuuuuck, this country is stuffed.

7. I’ve loved the Finnish sheild, which has crowned lion, rampant with a longsword, trampling the curved sabre of the eastern dark.
    Maybe the boxing kangaroo, joey in pouch, with sheep attendant?

8. Empty chestbeaters who proclaimed loud and long about ‘leaving’ something, then when it came time to put the cash where the pie hole is, stopped wailing about it and changed the subject (the Tele):

Some high-profile left-leaning Sydneysiders who vowed to quit Twitter if Elon Musk allowed Donald Trump to return have seemingly backtracked on their threat.

Sydney Morning Herald columnist Peter FitzSimons got the ball rolling last month, answering “Me too” after Nalini Haynes at Dark Matter Zine promised to “be gone” if “Musk does as he threatened … and allows Trump and the Parler mob back in”.

Trump is back in — but yesterday FitzSimons was tweeting about Liberal Party electability and one of his books.

Of course he was. And:

Melbourne-based Haynes hasn’t gone anywhere either, yesterday musing on Twitter about Aboriginal identity and her dislike of the mining industry.

Of course she was. And:

Former university academic Simon Chapman also warned of his looming Twitter departure, warning: “If this comes to pass we should all pin a notice that we won’t use Twitter if Trump and the abusers return. Lock our accounts; watch their ad revenue in free fall; and come back ONLY when sanity returns.”

Chapman is still on Twitter. Lately he’s been “preparing for the Twitter nuclear winter”, but he’s still right there, just as he has been for 13 years.

Of course he is. And:

Martin Appleby, who describes himself as a “proud member” of the Victorian ALP, added “And I” to the list of those who’d leave Twitter.

Trump returned. Appleby remained.

Retired NSW Commissioner for Vocational Training Phillip Moore told his 2099 Twitter followers he’d flee the platform rather than deal with a Trump comeback. Yesterday he informed those followers he was “thoroughly enjoying” the television series Bad Sisters.

Of course he was. These loud, squealy, non-follow-throughers are everywhere.

9. Some high-profile left-leaning Sydneysiders who vowed to quit Twitter if Elon Musk allowed Donald Trump to return have ….

…. have been pressing f5 every sixty seconds to see if Trump has posted anything to Twitter.

Lol. They’re refreshing his Twitter stream faster than my dog scoffs mince.

10. Westminster system has been ‘trashed’ in Victoria: Jeff Kennett
    Former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett says the Westminster system in Victoria has been “trashed” since 2014 when Labor used public money through red shirts to “gain an electoral advantage”.

He said Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews treats the public as though they exist to serve him, “rather than he serve the public”.

“We were accountable, we gave answers, we didn’t rule as one man, we never shut down the state, we never stopped children going to playgrounds.”

11. Applied to Twitter to have my Twitter account restored.
    We’ll see what happens.
    I don’t even remember why it was insta-deleted.
    “Breach of Twitter standards” is all I remember. Whatever it was, it wasn’t worth the total & complete deletion that happened.

Currently the account is “permanently suspended”.
    It’s worse than that, any account that logs on from the same mac address is also insta-deleted, as is any account that logs on from that same browser if I’m logged into my browser account, regardless of which ISP or mac address it is.

I called VidPlod “You mongrel bastards” or somesuch (didn’t use any language as vile as is seen on the Cat, simply used language leftys were using on me all day every day. So assumed that was Twitter standard.

Mistake. Turns out it wasn’t the language used, but the political philosophy, that mattered.

This is the sort of deletion reserved for purveyors of child pron, or purveyors of children. (Two genres that the offended silicon valley nerds did not bother to moderate)

12. Yes, I know about the Scamwatch website. I have been attempting to force it to be more readily accessible for years.
    Scams are a serious threat that effect every member of the community. The threat deserves the same or more Govt publicity/advertising effort as the meaningless woke crap that is promoted to us on a daily basis.
    The issue needs to be presented up front to the community. A hidden away website does not cut it. The potential victims are unlikely to know that they can “seek and you will learn” as you so pompously declared. They have not been informed that the website even exists.
    And please, leave out the patronising crap. My comment was in regard to community protection, not as you chose to assume, my ignorance of the subject.
    Your commentary is a metaphor for the total failure of Govt to inform the people of how to protect themselves from scams. “But, but, there is a website”.
    I am involved in policy lobbying for genuine Govt action.

13. Elon clearly thinks Trump tweeting will be very good for business.
    Don’t think he’ll be much bothered by the absence of Simon Chapman, Tesla driver, 13.6k followers (he’s made his money from you simple simon)
    crude

14. The Nixon medal would surely be an enamelled burger. And crossed chips rampant.
    Mounted atop a curved scroll with the motto: “I couldn’t miss dinner”

There is massive meme medal potential to stick it to the useless fascists that supposedly run this country!

15. Mater, good idea on the lapel pin!

Maybe the come as a set?! Medal for those FU moments and lapel pin as a more discreet option.

Ultimately we need to get Australian’s to privately acknowledge that the vast majority were duped by government propaganda.

16. rickw: The motto should be amended. Calli (upthread) points out the actual terminology used was the more direct, far less ambiguous, & much less flowery:

I had to eat.

17. When the presidential race starts in earnest he should and most likely will come back, for the same reasons as last time, he bypasses the msm interpretations and speaks directly to voters in real time.
    Speaking directly to 82 million people?
    Priceless.
    Or $8 a month.

18. try this in google:

died suddenly 2018
    About 383,000,000 results (0.62 seconds)
    died suddenly 2019
    About 386,000,000 results (0.59 seconds)
    died suddenly 2020
    About 367,000,000 results (0.67 seconds)
    died suddenly 2021
    About 399,000,000 results (0.54 seconds)
    dies suddenly 2022
    About 1,680,000,000 results (0.61 seconds)

19. G’day Cats. Currently alongside in Rabaul on Pacific Encounter. A few observations.

1. Sometimes I’m just plain fucking embarrassed to be Australian. OK, so we’re on P(lain)&O(rdinary) but that’s no excuse for the appalling behaviout we’ve seen: thongs, boardies and sleeveless tops in the dining room; see-through swimwear (female) in one of the bars; two men so drunk they could only cling to the railing and vomit over the side — and then go back for more beer; a “man” in the dining room swearing at his wife/partner, giving her the finger, then standing and miming pulling out his willy and pissing all over her; young women going ashore in skirts so tight and short a good five centimetres of their crutch was hanging below the hem.

2. Covid hysteria is alive and well and living in state government boarding/cruising regulations. ID photos, vax certificates (Oz and international), RAT and/or PCR test and bloody masks! When it’s 34 deg C and 88% humidity a bloody mask is suffocating.

And before any of the usual suspects jump all over me about being vaxed just to cruise … NO! I did it because the people I love most in this world asked me to. End of story.

20. Zipstersays:
    November 21, 2022 at 10:26 pm
    try this in google:

died suddenly 2018
    About 383,000,000 results (0.62 seconds)
    died suddenly 2019
    About 386,000,000 results (0.59 seconds)
    died suddenly 2020
    About 367,000,000 results (0.67 seconds)
    died suddenly 2021
    About 399,000,000 results (0.54 seconds)
    dies suddenly 2022
    About 1,680,000,000 results (0.61 seconds)

Very telling.

21. If there is 5 cm dangling below the skirt…

Yes, that did occur to me. I was going to make some gutted rabbit jokes, but then stopped myself due to the necessity of maintaining decorum.

22. 2 highlights from Geller and Jihad Watch:

NYC: Leftist Muslim lawyer who firebombed police car gets light sentence after Biden regime intervenes on her behalf

Uncounted Votes Discoverd On Memory Card Flips Election Race In Georgia

You know the details.

23. appalling behaviout we’ve seen: thongs, boardies and sleeveless tops in the dining room; see-through swimwear (female) in one of the bars; two men so drunk they could only cling to the railing and vomit over the side — and then go back for more beer; a “man” in the dining room swearing at his wife/partner, giving her the finger, then standing and miming pulling out his willy and pissing all over her; young women going ashore in skirts so tight and short a good five centimetres of their crutch was hanging below the hem.

Classy. I remember an American woman with her kid trying to bribe their way into cutting in front of a bunch of Australians outside a famous temple in Kyoto. No way were they having it! Git in liiiine.

24. Sometimes I’m just plain fucking embarrassed to be Australian.

Facing some episodes of the ugly Australian oversea, and the reaction of the locals, I’ve been known to pass myself off as South African.

25. One cringy moment I remember was on a trip in Nara. In Nara, they have free roaming deer around the city which you can feed crackers. I was milling about feeding em, and out of the blue I her a woman cry out in a thick ‘Gillard’ accent ‘ That deer poked me in the arrrrrrrse’. Gawwwwd, I was thinking.

26. Once in New York I was picking up a bagel and coffee from a little hole-in-the-wall on my way to the stock exchange, and I heard a voice behind me say “oi house husband, do you have any waffles?”
    so cringe

27. Just watching a few sky news au vids. Man, Victoria has become extremely toxic under the Hunchbacks reign of terror. Outside the voting area today, the people handing how to vote cards were almost insanely shill, the lot of them. I have never seen that level of in your face madness, ever. My prediction is that no matter who ‘gets in’, Victoria is going to crash and burn. There is absolutely no doubt.

28. Had two backpackers come in for work today- nice blokes, poms, telling me they were due to drive to Melbourne for new years’ eve. They sensed me giving them the ol ‘ Roger Moore eyebrow, though I didn’t say anything… “Bluddy heck, every-woon we’ve told for the last year has said the same thing, what on earth do you want to go to Victoria for?”
    Melbourne in particular has plummeted from the achingly cool place to be, to beyond the pale, an outcast and an outlier. It won’t show up on the Most Livable polls, cos those things are bought and paid for, but it’s seriously being shunned by the cool kids.

29. Once in New York I was picking up a bagel and coffee from a little hole-in-the-wall on my way to the stock exchange, and I heard a voice behind me say “oi house husband, do you have any waffles?”
    so cringe

Once, in my role as humble employee of a motel, I was loading particularly soiled sheets from the room of a guest (marked on the housekeeping report as “difficult”) I heard an Australian accent say to one of the female staff “You sack of shit, I drink only ‘Billy’ brand coffee from Italy, you should have known that you arsehole, I’m reporting you to the Manager.
    The voice belonged to a Danny De Vito lookalike, wearing ironed chinos & tasselled loafers.
    Name on the booking was: “Shantaram, Karen”

So cringe.

30. Looking at a Deutz-Fahr… 90hp, low centre of gravity, nice balance of levers and buttons, no ad-blue, lotsa factory hydraulics.
    Talk me out of it, someone.

31. World Cup clearly provides cover to go out drinking on a school night. Roars coming from a nearby public house for the England game. I might as well be at the Mindarie Tavern.

32. Looking at a Deutz-Fahr… 90hp, low centre of gravity, nice balance of levers and buttons, no ad-blue, lotsa factory hydraulics.

Model number?

We had been looking at a utility tractor in that size for my dad and found that a lot of them had really poor ergonomics for FEL and three point (JD and Case). So if you like the controls, don’t automatically think you will see the same in other models.

33. There’s a mish-mash of model numbers in the range, but it’s the 5080D on the ground which was kinda impressive. No loader for me, so that saves a bit of pipework… and I am very wary of the turbo.
    Compare with JD 5075 and MF 4707, which are both higher riders… the Massey is best valuefor money I’d reckon, and that Global range has taken a sensible step back from the placcy flaps and electric-over-hydraulic rocker switch jamboree that has made my 5400s very high maintenance. And the scattered screens pissed me off, made it very hard to get a quick read.
    Surprised by how lightweight the Kubotas are at that hp/$. Not a lot of confidence that i’d get even 5000h out of any pedal, lever or arm.
    I’ll look at NH T4 – T5 variants for the sake of completeness… pretty tractors but lacking hyd capability. Hydro flow is the next century’s theme in viticulture, you can wrangle so much more productivity when you can fine-tune your work rate, ground speed etc.

34. I know what you mean by in-cab ergonomics too, wrick. I’m stunned that the MF5400 range went all the way through production with such cramped placements, esp from a marque which was famous for having controls which nicely sat right to hand. Maybe the air-ride swivel seats made them lose their common sense?

35. rickw says:
    November 21, 2022 at 11:31 pm

The greatest scandal in medical history….

(the reality unfolding before our very eyes.)

Just got word, my cousin in his 40s, fit as a fiddle before, now in hospital with myocarditis, triple vaxed due to work requirements.

Hate to post it as I’m sure there is a quite ‘plausible’ explanation coming to refute it.

36. Let’s talk about… tractors.

Drillsiie once told us he spent an entire evening watching and listening to YouTube videos of tractor engines starting and revving up.

37. Does anyone understand why there’s a large numbers of Musk worse-wishers telling us the system will collapse anytime soon as there’s a lack of engineers specializing in particular areas. My basic understanding of software is that stuff only breaks when there are changes made or someone messes around with the code. If I’m right then who would Twitter collapse?

38. Does anyone understand why there’s a large numbers of Musk worse-wishers telling us the system will collapse anytime soon as there’s a lack of engineers

Not backing musk haters, but just because software has been working means it will continue to work. This is not because the logic magically changes but that it might have to deal with conditions that up to that point have not been considered.encountered. At this point developers need to step in to identify the issue and remedy this.

39. mc says:
    November 22, 2022 at 3:30 am

Best or worse, depending on your outlook will be the number of uncensored comments getting through, which is a good thing. No?

40. I’m no IT guy by any means, but I think the system for the birdy is robust enough, as far as systems go, that it will not collapse.

Not suggesting it is, just making the point that software needs ongoing support not because it changes but things around it do (including but not limited to users, other systems, hardware)

41. No wonder in the the decade he ran his blog, driller has 87 page views and a total of 4 comments over the 10 years.
    Only 4 made the cut, eh?
    A typical Post from Sal?
    Three cheers for me!

42. “We may have been a strong government, we had an agenda, people may have disagreed or agreed with our policies, but we worked within the Westminster system,” Mr Kennett told Sky News host Chris Kenny.

Jeff Kennett is a plus for the ALP, rabbiting on about his failed career in the week before an Election.
    It’s the Economy, stupid, not Andrews personality.

43. Sacked the barmaid yesterday, she only had one day to go to get her Long Service.
    Three cheers for me!

Hmm, I was going to look that one up, but his moniker is no longer a link to his blog.
    Why is that so?

44. Ed Case says:
    November 22, 2022 at 5:39 am

Only 4 made the cut, eh?
    A typical Post from Sal?
    Three cheers for me!

Lol,

She took took it to FairWork, but because I’m so brilliant, I didn’t need a lawyer to represent me as I did it all myself. The FairWork adjudicator said in these very words, “Mr. Pubbler, you’re so smart I am giving you the win, but please , please wash the bed sheets”. She never stood a chance.

45. Sometimes I’m just plain fucking embarrassed to be Australian.

It’s not hard.
    Yesterday I got the stink-eye from some dude who was double masked. Cloth over surgical. Is it my fault that I reflexively laugh at such people?

Perhaps it was accompanied by a snarky comment, perhaps it wasn’t. Who could tell?

46. Fury as Anthony Albanese signs Australia up to a $2trillion fund to pay poor countries affected by climate change: ‘Start helping Australian families instead of giving away their money’

No more than a giant wealth redistribution scheme, corrupt* politicians in the western world pitchforking their peoples wealth to corrupt politicians and grifters (BIRM) in countries that haven’t got their shit together yet.
    The ultimate welfare state which will not help the little people in those places in the long term.

*Corrupt morally as well as in some cases monetarily.

47. It’s hard to figure it out obviously. Some people may have serious underlying illnesses, which makes them very afraid of catching the Chinese lab virus.

I have a bet going with myself there’s someone holed up in an apartment in NYC (where else) who will not venture out for the next 20 years. In two decades we will be reading about this person. And a further bet, it’s not just one either. The reason is it’s a combo of lots of loons living here and almost every service can be delivered to the door.

Eighteen years to go for my prediction.

48. About six months ago I read of one case where a young dude had finally left his apartment after two years or so wearing masks over masks, a screen and a hazmat suit.

It’s a good thing he managed to save himself. His life is obviously sooooooo worth living!

49. I was thinking that awarding medals to likes of Roberts, Antic etc. would be wonderful opportunities to promote reflection on this monstrous government destruction.

Give one to Renee Heath.

Liberal candidate Renee Heath calls attacks against her ‘outrageous’, sets record straight about her views (22 Nov)

Liberal Candidate Renee Heath says the attacks against her are “outrageous” as she sets the record straight on what she actually believes.

Ms Heath has been preselected as the lead candidate for the Coalition in the upper house region of Eastern Victoria but has come under fire after a joint investigation by The Age and the Nine Network’s 60 Minutes.

“Apparently this investigation went on for about 2 months – maybe even longer – and they haven’t found a thing about me, and yet still the onslaught and the attack have just been incredible,” Ms Heath said.

“What am I guilty for? I have not said these things. None of these things that are so offensive, apparently, have come from me.”

50. Fury as Anthony Albanese signs Australia up to a $2trillion fund to pay poor countries affected by climate change: ‘Start helping Australian families instead of giving away their money’

Hey Monty!
    Are you still sore about your medical services no longer being bulk billed?
    Are you still worried that vulnerable Australians won’t be able to afford their medical requirements?

Perhaps you could ask Elbow to stop sending money overseas and redirect it to those he was elected to serve, those from whom he extracts this money.

51. He’s just really good value. So good. Plus he fired a whole bunch of leftwing idiots.

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk
    Hope all judgy hall monitors stay on other platforms – please, I’m begging u

and

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk
    2h
    ?
    Twitter is fun ? ? ??

52. Mater,
    Stop being a fascist.

I can’t help it. I was raised to believe in freedom, individual and property rights and small Government.
    I’m damned near Hitler.

My bad?

53. Bush

We really can’t go hard on these guy (libs)s. The entire western world is going mental over Greta thumbnail’s dire scientific predictions and they’re all batting for higher prices. There’s nothing we could have done under the libs to stop this or protect ourselves against stupidity. Basically, the US and the EU make policy for the West and if we didn’t go along we would be punished through tariffs and assorted charges. The EU threatened Trump and quickly backed off when they were told to piss off or face consequences. We can’t do that as we’re too small.

54. Shitcoins getting belted again.

I can top that.
    Atlassian (TEAM) down 2.5% and looking like it wants to test the recent lows again. If those two meatheads don’t do something drastic soon in terms of cutting back like all the other techs, the stock will be cut in half at the next quarterly meeting in January.

55. Re the drop in birth rates, I don’t know where the senator got his numbers but a day or so ago I got a link to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhiml6mEwjA&t=253s in it he shows a page he claims is from the ABS which shows marked declines in birth in all Australian states. Victoria is a standout with only 21 births for December 2021.

If I see a figure that is so far out of whack with previous numbers then I tend to think that perhaps the number given is wrong, something in the system has gone wrong. I looked at the Vic BDM figures and they have the December 2021 births at a much higher number than normal, they claim 8,264 births. So high it also looks a bit odd. https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/research-and-data-services/birth-statistics/births-registered-per-month

I can’t believe the ABS number as even the most wilfully blind would be worried and it would be obvious to hospitals, retailers and people in general.

Is our data gathering really bad, can we believe any of the official numbers generated by our governments?

56. Nothing but nothing tops Atlassian getting a hard kicking. There could be a mass exodus of the engineers if the stock sinks much more. If so, then they’re done. I read they pay a large amount of comp in stock options. Options have a strike price which means they’re essentially worth very little below the strike. There are a lot of pissed off folks working there at the moment.

57. Bruce in WA, you do the best you can for your family.

Never been to Rabaul, another volcano I have never got to see in time. Just hoping that the mask regulations in the northern hemisphere don’t return. Pretty sure they won’t – it seems only Aus and NZ are stupid enough to destroy their source of tourist dollars.

58. We really can’t go hard on these guy (libs)s. The entire western world is going mental over Greta thumbnail’s dire scientific predictions and they’re all batting for higher prices.

I see what you are saying, JC, but here’s the rub.
    If we only do what the rest of the world does with respect to ‘climate change’ regardless of our individual circumstances and the wishes of the Australian populace, and we only respond to things like Covid in the same way as the rest of the world, regardless of our individual circumstances, don’t we already have a one world government?

Why elect our own government if they only ape the rest, who, in turn, only enact the UN dictates? We could cut out the middle men, reduce the churn and hand that monstrosity in Canberra over to the UN, who could turn it into an enclave of that monstrosity in New York.

59. “Speaking of morally corrupt politicians.

Why does Barnaby Joyce think he has any right to argue the toss on high power prices?”

Yep, I now switch off when he or Littleproud come on. Last year the Nats could have showed some spine when dealing with Scumbag, the Liberal wets and “net zero”, instead they used the opportunity to grift. And what’s happened to that grift, the Labor government has shelved it.

You reap what you sow.

60. Look, it’s a fair comment Mater. The thing is though, gerbil warming is the central issue of the western left at the moment. Every major global and domestic institution is married to madam Climate Change.

61. In July 2021 much media discussion about a covid baby boom in Victoria.
    What else did people have to do?
    January 2022 was down to 4000 odd after the 8200 in December then February was 5600, maybe those month by month fluctuations has to do with when the paperwork gets submitted and processed plus random fluctuations like pre vaccine.
    Victorian birth rates since 2019 seem about the same with the same month by month fluctuations, October 2022 had 9023 registered the highest in the last three years.
    Maybe people should treat the vaccine causes infertility claims with a pinch of salt.

62. “She’s being flamed for being an ordinary Christian, and the Libs have said she won’t be allowed to sit in the party room. More proof that the Liberal Party is hostile to Christianity, like the ALP and Greens.”

Last night I watched Renee Heath on Sky. Despite her scandalous MSM treatment, Renee is incredibly measured, composed and dignified. I wouldn’t be. But yet again here is another case of the Liberal Party trashing its own, or more specifically dregs like Guy (and Morrison acted similarly, in fact Morrison gifted the Liberal party the perfect template on how to trash your own, just ask Craig Kelly, Andrew Laming, Christian Porter, George Christensen and Alan Tudge. Matthew Guy reacted to Nine Media’s smears with an adolescent statement that “if Heath is elected (she will be) then she won’t be allowed to sit in the party room”. This is simply buying into the smears and basically saying you agree with what Nine has done and that Heath is guilty, guilty, guilty.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Labor to lose bigtime on Saturday however I think Matthew Guy is a lowlife cretin.

In the meantime, I hope Heath has instructed the lawyers.

63. I have not been keeping up, but I see from Knight’s cartoon that there is still this idea swirling around that Twitter is about to collapse.

I understood it has more users than ever. Unless its revenue is drying up, what is the problem supposed to be?

Or has Knight just fallen (again) for the unsupported gaslighting from the left, who hope it will become true if they just wish hard enough.

And Rowe? Why are these people all suddenly so surprised that Catarrh might not like gays? Muslims are not shy about their attitude toward gays, and in their country they make the rules according to their beliefs.

64. Heath’s sister was some sort of church ‘whistle-blower’ and her problems seem to stem from marrying a same sex attracted man from their congregation who was encouraged to not be and get married.
    Now, not surprisingly, quite bitter.

65. If Facebook, YouTube, or Jack Dorsey’s version of Twitter was around in 1977 – they would’ve suspended anyone who denied there was an ice age coming – calling them climate deniers.

That’s a doubler! The article title at the top is fun: “Beyond Detente: Why We Can’t Beat The Soviets”. Which Reagan did twelve years later with the fall of the Wall.

66. I haven’t researched this any further, but as I walked past the teev just now I could have sworn that Stefanovic the Younger was referring to Kevin Rudd as ‘Doctor Rudd’.

I know right? Very cognisant that it’s early.

67. It seems to me that milquetoast Christians are perfectly welcome in politics. They neither rock the boat nor scare the horses, and keep the desired wodge of voters on side. All good…and advantageous.

It’s the vocal, committed ones who need to be squished. Backgrounded by their spineless leaders, eviscerated and defanged by the ever-ready MSM. Every word or look or past action raked over and examined for wrongthink and wrongspeak and even better…scandal.

68. He’s just really good value. So good. Plus he fired a whole bunch of leftwing idiots.

Ha!

It is like the entrepreneurial equivalent Trump inasmuch as instead of bowing down and apologising for every confected outrage levelled at him he just hits back, and rather than shrinking before the onslaught of what is in fact largely a sham army of the outraged he invites them in. Actually, he threatens them with being able to stay on the same terms as everybody else.

And their nappies are sagging under the weight of their alarm.

We have seen how the tech giants have previously treated opinion contrary to their CEO’s and their woke staff – and the companies have suffered for it. I wonder if they are not secretly glad that Musk is doing what he is so they can do it too. Didn’t Facebook just send thousands of their online nags off to the knackers yard?

69. Asked about her own views, Ms Heath was unequivocal.

“I do not believe in gay conversation therapy,” she said.

“That is regardless of sexuality, age, gender, but also faith and religion.”

From Sky News.

These are, apparently, views now styled as “ultra-Conservative”.

70. In a state where praying for the same sex attracted is illegal you can see where the nazi crap is coming from.

What!

They want to censure your prayers now?

Pfft.

71. JC, thanks for the link to Brendan O’Neill on the Twitter fascists. An excellent read.

Laughed out loud at this:

72. I’m damned near Hitler.

Is that called Hitler-Adjacent, or Hitler-Curious?

Make one of those your gender (pronouns sieg/heil) and you will instantly be beyond reproach.

73. “In fact the reason I am a Liberal is I believe in the right of every single individual to live life according to their conscience, their values, without influence from the government.

I’m afraid you’re in the wrong party, lady.

74. “Look, it’s a fair comment Mater. The thing is though, gerbil warming is the central issue of the western left at the moment. Every major global and domestic institution is married to madam Climate Change.”

Yes, but that’s because it’s a cult and like all cults it has completely captured and indoctrinated its adherents, particularly the young. It’s so bad that young people now think that weather patterns are due to climate change, that rainy days are because of climate change. As the young man said on Rita last night…..

“umm, mainly the economy and the state of climate change, you’ve seen all the rain recently, it’s not good you know, I want the sunshine and the rain, not only the rain.

Watching him speak, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, I think crying is our only option because it’s dumbness, it’s madness and it’s insanity.

75. “‘Freedom of speech is vital’, said [London Lord Mayor Sadiq}Khan, ‘but’ – there’s always a massive, unsightly but – ‘it must be balanced against keeping other people safe to protect our democracy and society’

Anti-freedom fascism is infecting the West more than at any time since The Enlightenment, much of it imported by backward Third World dregs like Khan.”

Yep, and Khan’s trite concern about “keeping people safe” never extends to the speech that’s uttered in UK’s mosques. Oh no.

76. I know what you’re saying there, JC.
    By corrupt I mean those who are solely in the game for the monetary gains and fat super payouts and to hell with what they have to believe in to achieve that. The majority know it’s bullshit but don’t have the balls to call it.
    Same goes for overseas.

77. Heard Bill Shorten on the ABC raving with joy over the possibilities of efficiency and streamlining of government through an ID card system similar to the Estonian model.

Maybe they could call it something uplifting, dunno, like “the Australia Card”.
    Sure to go well with the punters.

78. Matthew Guy reacted to Nine Media’s smears with an adolescent statement that “if Heath is elected (she will be) then she won’t be allowed to sit in the party room”.

Augustus supposedly said of Herod the Great:

It is better to be Herod’s pig than son

Meaning that since Herod was Jewish his pig was safe from being killed and eaten, whereas he was more than ready to kill his own sons.

Vic Libs are like that.

79. JC the engineers at TEAM if they have options only the ones that have been there for a long time will have shares at a low enough strike price to make it worthwhile leaving so they’re going to go and the ones with a higher strike price are going to go coz there’s no point in staying. I reckon they’re done.

80. “We’re disappointed,” Kane said. “I said yesterday we wanted to wear it. That decision was taken out of my hands today. I turned up to the stadium with the armband that I wore and I was told I had to wear that [the official Fifa one]. It’s out of our control as players. I’m sure the FA and Fifa will continue those discussions but most importantly today we focused on the game and got a great result.”

No, the choice was entirely in your hands Mr Kane. You had the choice but refused to be strong enough in your conviction under threat of a sanction from FIFA.
    You would have got a yellow card, red for continued adornment of the rainbow armband. Which is a light sentence, compared to what homosexuals suffer there.

81. As alluded to by BB yesterday – David Warner in The Hun, on the sook about not being allowed to be captain for the past few years and hoisting himself waaay up high on the cross:

I think it’s just about being fair that at the end of the day, I’m not a criminal.

Oh yes you are, Warner. Yes. You are.

You stole this nation’s soul.

82. It shouldn’t stop political figures who are not corrupt to stand up and call it out. Like all things socialist if enough people stand up and tell the truth the whole rotten edifice collapses.

Courage is infectious.
    If a few respected people or politicians (yes, I know), came out and made the logical case, they’d be surprised at the support they’d get.
    People are currently cowering because they think they are alone.

Besides, the only people who can give the counter arguments air, are high profile figures. Yes, the coverage might be negative, but coverage it would get, and that’s enough for people to know they are NOT alone.

Trump provided the theory, just be ready for the inevitable counter attack.

83. After the Smith/Warner cheating, I never watched the cricket again.

They didn’t steal my soul, just my interest in the game. While those two remain anywhere near a bat and ball , a tv camera or a newspaper column, cricket is dead to me.

84. BB:

Damn straight. Your unqualified support of rampant poofery is only unqualified as long it comes at no personal detriment to you. If you really, really had the courage of your convictions you wouldn’t even be in Qatar.

You would have been quite happy to wear a symbolic (noodle)arm band while poncing around a stadium built on graves of the dead slaves that built it, but because they threatened you with a poxy yellow card you didn’t.

You are one of Roosevelt’s ‘weak and timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat’.

85. Milquetoast Christians, Calli?
    I don’t think any Christians are tolerated by the uniparty. Ironically you might call the cadre who group-hugged their way into foisting SSM and VA onto us Potemkin Christians- ie there to be seen but not to function- now I think only dhimmitude is permissible.

86. And while we’re talking sports, and Qatar WC, my memory floats back to the early 70’s and the anti-apartheid sport boycotts.

Are there any parallels today? Perhaps all those dead foreign workers just don’t matter enough.

87. After the Smith/Warner cheating, I never watched the cricket again.

I never found out because I obviously didn’t look too hard. What were they saying (sledging) Smith about his wife?

88. The article title at the top is fun: “Beyond Detente: Why We Can’t Beat The Soviets”. Which Reagan did twelve years later with the fall of the Wall.

It is funny how over time certain assumptions become unchallengeable – immovable stone monoliths of realpolitik.

Until someone turns their head a little to the side and realises many of them are just plasterboard.

When I was a kid in the days of President Carter I remember being dispirited by the stories in the newspapers that made it look like the West was on borrowed time. Maps showing military strength in Europe showed the USSR to be thick with soldiers and missiles and tanks and pointed sticks that made the West look hopelessly outmatched. Never crossed my mind (I was a kid!) to wonder how the journos knew so much and so well about the Soviets. No idea that already much of that equipment was outdated and poorly maintained.

And America seemed morally defeated. Maybe that is why it was such a time of excess – the last hoorah.

Then came Reagan. And the rest is history.

Trump did much the same. Manufacturing was coming back to the US, peace deals were being struck between nations that had been implacable enemies as long as I could remember, and the American economy was booming. That was not supposed to happen again. President Carter Obama said so.

But, somewhere in the dark shadowland on the other side of the mirror where the Democrats are, there was also malign glee at the discovery they did not need to win votes to win office. They had looked at the problem and discovered it was only trust, goodwill, and enforcement of laws that that held that system in place, and there were ways around it.

89. Plan B a must when green power dream turns to nightmare
    JUDITH SLOAN

Newly appointed AGL Energy board member Kerry Schott has deep experience in electricity matters. She was chair of the Energy Security Board, which is part of the architecture of the National Electricity Market. She has also been chair of the NSW government’s Net Zero Emissions and Clean Economy Board.

When you realise what’s at stake – reliable, affordable power for households and businesses, including energy-intensive ones underpinning the economy – it was a worrying response. I then spoke to a contact with deep knowledge of the NEM and posed the question: what is Plan B here? His reply is: what is Plan A?

This was a reasonable answer given the many moving parts of the government’s targets and the seeming impossibility of getting there. It is surely ironic it was Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen who explicitly outlined the numerical challenge in front of transforming the NEM in such a short time frame.

He has told us we will need 22,000 solar panels every day and 40 wind turbines every month for the next eight years. There will also be a requirement for at least 10,000km of additional transmission lines. Over the same period, we will likely see the exit of at least 9000 megawatts of coal-fired generation, including Liddell, Bayswater, Eraring and Yallourn. If the newly elected board members of AGL Energy have their way, this number could be higher again (AGL’s Loy Yang A coal-fired power station in Victoria has a capacity of 2000MW).

You can see why I asked the question about Plan B, in particular given the growing headwinds that are adversely affecting the rollout of renewable energy and the inevitable delays in the construction of new transmission lines facing strenuous local opposition. When it comes to solar and wind installations – equipment is mostly sourced from China – recent cost pressures have been substantial, adding between 20 and 30 per cent. Banks are unwilling to provide finance unless investors can secure longer-term purchase power agreements.

While these agreements provide guaranteed cash flows to investors, any advantages from spikes in the spot electricity market are forgone. In many instances, returns for investors are less than stellar and there is growing interest in securing preferential government finance; through the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, for instance. The bottom line is there is diminishing enthusiasm among investors for many renewable energy projects. Bowen and the Victorian government are placing great weight on the potential for offshore wind turbines as the solution to the impasse. But offshore turbines are four to 10 times more expensive to install than onshore ones. It’s not clear that the slightly higher capacity factor – the amount of power generated relative to fully rated capacity – of offshore compared with onshore is sufficient to justify the difference in costs. Typical figures for capacity factors are 35 per cent for offshore and 30 per cent for onshore.

I also need to mention the delays and cost blowouts affecting the completion of Snowy 2.0, the pumped hydro project, as well as the problems in securing the additional transmission required for the project to be fully operational. The timing of the commissioning of the important Kurri Kurri gas plant in the Hunter – a plant that will provide crucial firming for renewable energy – is also uncertain given the minister’s insistence it run partly off hydrogen even though there are no sources of hydrogen in the area.

Even with the best of intentions it is highly unlikely the decarbonisation plans for the NEM for the period ending in 2030 can be achieved. There are too many uncertainties; the cost pressures are considerable and worsening; and there is a widespread shortage of suitable workers. Alternative strategies need to be devised in the event of a lack of progress.

Arguably this potentially calamitous planning has been made worse by the states going their own way. South Australia was early off the mark in pushing subsidised renewable energy, although its utter dependence on coal-fired electricity from Victoria to ensure demand in the state is met rather gives the game away. The fact the state had to invest in a bank of expensive, standby diesel generators after the whole state lost power in 2016 is illustration of what a Plan B could entail.

Victoria is pushing on with its ambitious emissions reduction targets while undertaking a side deal with Energy Australia to keep its Yallourn coal-fired power station in operation until 2028. (The details of this deal remain hidden from the public, but the costs are almost certainly being borne by the taxpayers.) Offshore wind is now seen as the answer to the government’s prayers, and sites have been located. Gas extraction, even using conventional techniques, remains verboten although the Liberal Party is more enthusiastic than Labor.

Queensland has recently released an energy plan that has all the hallmarks of being devised by political advisers without any real knowledge of how the electricity grid works. In addition to the early closure of the government-owned coal-fired power plants, there is a plan – better call it a dream – to build the largest pumped hydro scheme in the world, outside Mackay. We are to believe it will be operational by 2032 with all the additional transmission lines (from a hurricane-prone region) in place as well.

NSW has its renewable energy zones but is very vulnerable in the event of the closure of the largest coal-fired plant, Eraring, in 2025.

It’s very easy for all this to end in tears as investments don’t go according to plan and costs blow out. The wholesale price of electricity has already tripled from 2021 and is expected to stay high for at least another two years. All those new transmission lines will be paid a guaranteed rate of return that ensures prices remain high after that.

JUDITH SLOAN
    CONTRIBUTING ECONOMICS EDITOR

Oz

90. Poo widdle davey warner the sooking cheat whining about his family suffering coz he can’t be in a leadership role. Que! Does he kick the dog, beat the wife and not talk to the kids or do they see him for what he is, a sooking cheat who never should have pulled on a baggy green ever again.

91. It’s a self-supporting empire of lies – each one propping up the other. Can’t afford a chink of truth lest the edifice crumbles.

Peter Smith at quadrant.

Nails it.

It has always amazed me how the liars are louder and more vigorous defending their lies than the truth tellers are defending the truth.

92. I see a gunman killed five people and injured 18 in a gay club in Colorado.

So, the clock has started ticking until the MSM reluctantly (and in as muted terms as possible) reports that it was not a MAGA conservative homophobe, but something like an angry tranny pissed off that gays don’t accept them, or a disturbed loner whose reading list consists of Marx and Antifa docs.

Or a hammer salesman driven to rage by his products being tarnished by association with that Pelosi fellow, or customers being afraid the hammers might go off for no reason.

93. So in a decade we’ve gone from keeping Ben Cousins in work because he’s borderline derro, to pushing Dave Warner into a “leadership role” because… why? Because it’s his manifest destiny?

94. Matt Walsh
    @MattWalshBlog
    6h
    The shooter in Colorado Springs was arrested a year ago for felony menacing and first degree kidnapping. The DA decided not to pursue charges. This is yet another case of a violent criminal set free to cause more harm. But the Left has no interest in taking about this problem.

95. US faith in democracy comes up trumps
    Having just travelled through 25 states in the US, I found cause for optimism that the great republic will not only endure but is turning the page on its recent troubled past.
    9Troy Bramston, The Oz.

Well that’s a relief! Obviously no electoral fraud at all.

96. And while we’re talking sports, and Qatar WC, my memory floats back to the early 70’s and the anti-apartheid sport boycotts.

Iranian soccer players refuse to sing national anthem at World Cup (21 Nov)

It appears the reason for this is a protest by the players against the Iranian government, amid the crackdown on demonstrators protesting the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amin.

Unfortunately for them defection probably isn’t feasible, since Qatar and Iran are allied and share a giant gas field in the Gulf. So Qatar won’t tolerate a defection and the place is small enough that hiding may be tough to do.

97. We’ve been talking about citizen Kane and his on-again-off-again armband, but it looks like the Iranian soccer guys may be in a tad of trouble when they get home.

If any of them are disappeared Harry Kane will wear an armband in support.

Or maybe not if the decision is taken “out of his hands.”

98. Covid hysteria is alive and well and living in state government boarding/cruising regulations. ID photos, vax certificates (Oz and international), RAT and/or PCR test and bloody masks! When it’s 34 deg C and 88% humidity a bloody mask is suffocating.

Bruce of WA, I hope under these conditions you can still manage to enjoy your cruise. How much subtle or not so subtle flouting of these mask regs is there on board? You know, masks under noses etc, and drinks constantly in hand to allow mask wearing around the neck.

Shame that your venture once more onto a cruise had to have this outcome. Hope you enjoy what you can of the trip. NG is always interesting.

We thought Holland America handled Covid panics well. There was obviously Covid on board our Panama cruise, with occasional red dots on doors (sign of the plague, lol) but the obviously sick were simply isolated in their staterooms for five days and fed and watered by masked staff. They did bring masks back for all of their staff including in restaurants and bars, which somewhat gave the game away, but there were no announcements nor restrictions for passengers.

Hairy and I were thinking that the 800 ‘positives’ on that cruise ship of 4,500 tested passengers that very few were actual ‘cases’ of sick people. You could probably test the same number in any football crowd and come up with a high number of positives as well. It is full on sickness that is the only issue for us, and quarantining is only useful in those cases (probably for their own sake because the virus has probably been shed by them before they became sick). Masks of course are useless unless in very close droplet contact and even then they don’t do much.

99. Bob Hawke called those players ‘traitors’. I

And while they being condemned for playing there, and the Silver Bodgie was shedding a tear, there were 2 coal ships full of South African coal being unloaded at Pt Kembla.

100. And there was absolutely no mandatory testing on board our Panama cruise. I think the only testing was done by the docs when people turned up there sickly. Also, plenty of other people were coughing away and we think there were more viruses than just Covid going around. Cruises often have URTI’s going around. You have to trust in your own resistance. No worse than in your average supermarket or cinema anyway.

101. Heavy has a good detailed article on the Colorado shooter. One of the problems is he appears to’ve had no social media accounts, or at least none that anyone has yet found. As for the police they are being very silent, which is probably a tell.

Anderson Lee Aldrich: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

The stuff about his grandfather is starting to be picked up by the lefty MSM. But nothing much about him and his personal life.

102. In car news…I finally managed to turn off the hectoring schoolmarm informing me of entering and leaving school zones. She clearly worked weekends too. And, while doing so, I found speeding marm and switched her off also.

It was like entering the labyrinth…the minotaur was hiding in a drawer labelled “beware the leopard”.

Left the radar and red light camera warnings on though. Just to keep the algorithm happy.

103. Thanks Black Ball. I remember that West Indies tour.

JPWatson has a new video criticising the armband wearers, and it sparked a memory of actual boycotts, not pseudo ones.

104. The modelling Labor used to justify its policy platform was never up to scratch, failing to take into account the risks that turn its conclusions on its head. Electricity prices are not going down, there are likely to be many jobs lost as a result – don’t forget, half of the modelled job gains were because of the assumed lower prices – and interruptions to our electricity supply may become common. We should expect our political leaders to minimise the risks and safeguard our wellbeing by devising a well-considered and implementable Plan B now.

Plan B will be called ‘panic’. How much wiser it would be to keep our coal-fired power stations going and start to revisit some of the beserko ‘science’ on which this whole fiasco is based.

105. One of the problems is he appears to’ve had no social media accounts, or at least none that anyone has yet found.

A-HA!

He’s Amish.

Damned Christians!

106. Former members of Amy Coney Barrett’s secretive faith group…

These religious types…

If they venture into the public square they’re “imposing their beliefs on others.”

If they retreat into privacy as demanded they’re “secretive.”

If only they could just disappear altogether, eh?

107. Bruce in WA,
    I’ve done that trip on that ship, none of that appalling behaviour was on display.

Did they have that really really really boring perfesser and his missus giving talks? Him on the Battle of the Coral Sea and the Rabaul campaign, hers on culture (Mrs D reported she was interesting).

Even the friend whose father fought at Rabaul was bored to tears.

We are cruising with POvo in December, hope most of the Covid bullshit has settled down by then.

108. He missed the fact that we were passing very close to the wreck of Lexington as he was talking (I asked a member of the entertainment group to find out for me)

That’s why you do your own historical research instead of depending on “experts”.

I found out that the same principle crossed over into medicine far too late.

109. ML – There’re going to be a flood of articles from the left because his grandad is a MAGA Republican state congressman from California. I’ve no idea what the shooter himself was up to other than he is reported to have anger issues, had a fight with his mum last year, and is 6’6″. No hint of any ladies in his life.

110. I know some of you don’t like Cory but this is on the money, read the full report at the link.

This is just another step toward a global digital ID and the attached social credit system which will be used to determine your individual rights.

The global ID will be linked to the forthcoming Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC) which will utilise blockchain technology to enable restrictions to be placed on how you spend your money.

A CBDC is a totalitarian’s dream and a nightmare for those who value freedom and privacy.

Here’s how a social credit system works in China and this Orwellian overreach is even before the introduction of a CBDC there.

111. The modelling Labor used to justify its policy platform was never up to scratch, failing to take into account the risks that turn its conclusions on its head. Electricity prices are not going down, there are likely to be many jobs lost as a result

But think of all the jobs created constructing and maintaining plastic panels and propellers.

Every time a green -tinged politician talks about the countless jobs coming from this ridiculous energy plan, I’m reminded of the broken windows fallacy – one of the most basic principles in economics.

112. Re: Judith Sloan

While these agreements provide guaranteed cash flows to investors

… and that is exactly what the Australian Energy Regulator does

113. I then spoke to a contact with deep knowledge of the NEM and posed the question: what is Plan B here? His reply is: what is Plan A?

Plan A is learn to code. Using battery power.

114. I found out that the same principle crossed over into medicine far too late.

And just in case there are any recalcitrants, the Liberal National Party in QLD recently conspired with the ALP to prevent medical practitioners from contradicting public health advice on pain of being named and shamed and prevented from practicing in the state, preumably on the basis of a disgruntled patient informing on them to authorities.

I’m sure they look forward to the day when robots directed by algorithms will replace human medicos altogether, at least at the general practice level.

115. The untold story of the day JFK was assassinated

We all know John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963, but often neglected is the story of the second murder that took place that day in Dallas, Texas.

By Alan Howe

From Inquirer
    2 hours ago

We are already almost 60 years into all their dead tomorrows. In 1963, two Americans at work, one aged 39, the other seven years older, were shot dead on the streets of that country’s ninth biggest city. One at 12.30pm, the other 46 minutes later. The younger man came from rural East Texas poverty; the other from educated generational privilege. Each served their country in World War II, but oceans apart. What else they had in common was the man who killed them: Lee Harvey ­Oswald.

At least the facts of the murder of Dallas police officer JD Tippit are uncontested. Moments after the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy on Friday November 22, 1963, as the presidential motorcade swept through the city, Oswald left the Texas School Book Depository on Dealey Plaza, caught a bus and a cab heading towards Oak Cliff off the southwest border of the CBD. Much of the area was blocked off as many thousands lined the route for a glimpse of the president and his glamorous wife Jacqueline. (Conveniently, the president’s route from the airport through downtown had been published by the Dallas Morning News, a newspaper founded by George Dealey after whom the infamous Dallas landmark had been named. His statue overlooked the plaza that day as history unfolded.)

Soon after the shooting, a police dispatcher radioed for patrol cars to head towards Oak Cliff, a then homogenously, some would say defiantly, white, middle class precinct that would produce singer songwriters Michael Murphey (Wildfire), Edie Brickell (now Paul Simon’s wife) and guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Tippit was in the area when the dispatcher announced over the police radio what had happened at Dealey Plaza and for officers to look out for the suspect – a witness had seen Oswald at the window before and moments after he heard gunfire, another as Oswald hurried down the street. Combining their recollections, police described the wanted man as a “white male, approximately 30, slender build, height 5 foot 10 inches, weight 165 pounds”. That’s a man about 1.75m weighing 75kg. Oswald was just 24, somewhat shorter and weighed precisely 68kg – as detailed at his autopsy two days later. But Tippit’s 11 years in uniform had honed his detective senses and he recognised something amiss about the furtive stranger. Six witnesses to what was about to happen agreed that the man they later knew to be Oswald suddenly turned around to walk in the other direction, perhaps he’d seen the marked police vehicle.

Tippit – the JD initials did not stand for anything, his father had read a book about a character called JD of The Mountains and liked the sound of it – knew the president had been shot, but not that he had died. Kennedy was declared dead at 1pm at the city’s Parkland Hospital. Tippit had 16 minutes to live; the fellow he was approaching just two days and seven minutes. It was a one-man patrol, so Tippit was in the driver’s seat. He pulled up alongside the kerb and summoned his suspect to the car through the passenger-side window.

Tippit left the car and walked around the front and engaged Oswald in conversation for up to 20 seconds. Then Oswald produced a .38 revolver and shot him three times in the chest. When Tippit fell to the ground he shot the officer in the right temple, killing him.

Oswald sprinted off dropping spent cartridges from his pistol. Shocked witnesses kept an eye on him, another used Tippit’s crackling police radio to tell the dispatcher what had happened.

Oswald was seen entering the Howard Hughes-owned Texas Theatre where he sat inconspicuously in the third back row and watched the Korean War drama War is Hell. Police were there in minutes to arrest him. “Well, it’s all over now,” a resigned Oswald muttered indistinctly. He had no idea.

That night, a still shocked and grieving Robert Kennedy, the US Attorney-General and the president’s brother, gallantly called the Tippit family home to speak to the officer’s widow, Marie. Robert said that he and his sister-in-law were “extremely sorry and wanted to offer our deepest sympathy in this time of grief”.

At first, Marie, a mother of three children aged 13, 10 and four, held up well. She told the president’s brother “I certainly know how she feels. But, you know, they were both doing their jobs. They got killed doing their jobs. He was being the president and JD was being the policeman he was supposed to be.” The next day, Lyndon B Johnson, not 24 hours into his presidency, also called Marie.

Days later, Jackie Kennedy wrote to Marie, but by the time the letter arrived Marie was traumatised, had been prescribed tranquillisers, and was unable to respond. The note stated the ­Kennedy family felt partly to blame for Marie’s husband’s death and added: “I hope you’re not bitter toward us because of what happened.”

Marie never was. A friend responded, with her approval, and, in answer to Jacqueline’s offer to contact Marie if there was any help she could give, asked if the former First Lady might send a photograph of the Kennedy family. Not long after a package arrived with a framed photograph of the Kennedys at their holiday home on the Massachusetts coast. Beneath it, Jackie had written “For Mrs. J.D. Tippit, with my deepest sympathy and the knowledge that you and I now share another bond – reminding our children all their lives what brave men their fathers were – With all my wishes for your happiness, Jacqueline Kennedy.”

Jackie explained that the eternal flame she planned for her husband’s grave would also burn forever for Marie’s husband.

Marie, who went on to marry another policeman, died from heart failure after contracting Covid last year aged 92.

116. So when she was asked about the federal government’s plan to reduce emissions by 43 per cent by 2030 and for renewable energy to make up 82 per cent of electricity generation, her reply was disquieting: “It may not be possible. But I think we’ve got to try.”

So we have to try. For what result? Surely this is what should be considered before any action is undertaken.

So what IS the result if the government successfully implements its policy of reducing Australia’s emissions by 43%.

Currently atmospheric CO2 concentrations are about 400 parts per million (ppm).
    Human contribution to this is 3% or 12ppm. Australia’s contribution to this is 1.3% or .156 of 1ppm. By reducing our emissions by 43% we will reduce global CO2 concentrations by .067 of 1ppm.

This is barely measurable yet we are going to die in a ditch over it. Schott has been gulping the koolaid or she is seriously deficient in mathematical knowledge.

117. Schott has been gulping the koolaid or she is seriously deficient in mathematical knowledge.

I’m sure she’s being renumerated very handsomely in return for her compliance and endorsement.

118. “But I think we’ve got to try” has she ever looked at the risk/benefit of this? If it doesn’t work, and it won’t, the damage will be truly enormous, way more than any perceived benefit.

119. Zippy do female coders and those who identify as female code endless loops. The amount of circular logic seems to imply that. That said I know a young lady who is tops in crypto analysis.

120. and had a good laugh, thanks.

you’re welcome

it’s all true too.
    except for the bit about shopping with the missus
    I’ll end up doing that.

we will be going past the shopping centre and she’ll go stop here I just need one thing
    I’ll go fuck that shit, you can do it tomorrow without me
    She’ll go no seriously. one thing. targeted strike. in-and-out
    and predictably … I’ll fall for it.

this year some time I was back at the dentist and I reminded them of that root canal day.
    I finished the sentence with, “I don’t even know why I like you!”

Dr K smiled and said, “you actually like me? … that’s the nicest thing anybody ever said “

121. I linked to this earlier. Tom spoke about it. This a excerpt from Brendon O’Neill’s Spiked piece about just how twisted the censorious left at Twitter had become. They were absolutely evil bastards.

And Meghan Murphy’s back. The Canadian feminist and spiked contributor was banned for saying ‘him’ in relation to Jessica Yaniv, the trans activist who tried to get immigrant beauticians to wax his bollocks and who lodged discrimination complaints against them when they refused to do so. The British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal threw out Yaniv’s complaints and ruled that he had racist motives. He was driven by an urge to ‘punish racialised and immigrant women’, the tribunal said. And yet for calling this nasty man a man, Murphy was permanently suspended, while Yaniv carried on with his dick-swinging tweeting.

Murphy’s case was the perfect example of how morally destitute social-media censorship had become. If you think the outrage is Musk unbanning people like Murphy and not the fact that Murphy was banned for ‘disrespecting’ a prejudiced twat who tried to get poor brown women to touch his testicles, then I cannot help you. If you think the bigot here is the feminist who understands biology and not the man who tried to crush working-class women’s small businesses because they refused to go near his girldick, then your moral compass is sadly beyond repair.

And yet that is exactly what the thoughtpolice of Twitter believed. That is the twisted ideology to which they subscribed. Those are the absurd prejudices they’d imbibed. The 21st-century town square was overseen by zealous moral guardians so corrupted by the credo of wokeness that they believed it was legitimate to punish women for calling men men. How mad is that? The idea that it’s Musk who’s plunging Twitter into chaos is surreal. Twitter was in chaos already – the chaos of a Kafkaesque spiral of evermore egregious acts of censure – and now Musk seems determined to restore some normalcy.

Over the past couple of weeks we’ve seen just how ruthless the blue-tick pricks of Twitter have been. Not only are we reminded that they supported the undemocratic censorship of politicians and the misogynistic censorship of women. We now also know that they were fully aware of how devastating such censorship would be for those on the receiving end.

‘We’re only helping Twitter to enforce its community standards’, said the Twittermob. ‘We’re not censoring anyone, they can always go somewhere else’, they said. They were lying. And we now know they were lying. In the past fortnight the liberal press has been full of articles by blue-tick pricks fretting over how they will cope if Twitter collapses. Twitter was a ‘vital place for connection’, says AOC. Twitter has been a ‘career accelerator’, says one writer. Another says the ‘power of Twitter’ gave her clout because ‘information is a powerful force indeed’. One journalist wrung her hands over Musk’s shortlived proposal to allow people to buy a blue tick on the basis that the old system of ‘verification’ conferred an ‘elite status’ on certain writers, boosting their cultural power. ‘Without Twitter, where else would they turn?’, she asks.

So they knew. The blue-tick people knew that Murphy and other gender-critical feminists would suffer by being banned. They knew the censored would struggle to connect and communicate. They knew that expulsion from Twitter was a grave punishment indeed in the 21st century. They knew they were engaged in the construction of a new moral hierarchy in which those blessed with blue-tick ‘elite status’ would be free to speak while those damned as bigots and expelled from virtual society would struggle to be heard and possibly even to make ends meet. They knew it was a witch-hunt. And you want me to be mad at Elon Musk? Get a grip.

122. The fact that you even need a word like “girldick” suggest there might not be much “progress” in being “progressive”. I do like the Germanic compound nature if not the mental picture.

123. the code doesn’t give a shit about your feelz

I know exactly one
    she lives in Cairns and does data mining and presentations and sciency stuff

we collect minute by minute environmental data from the entire maggot ranch and stuff it up a special DB that we run up the cloud.

she’s a bit of a gun with Python
    she went out and found a python connector to our server that a bloke I know in Canadia knocked together

she tweaks it then she rips our data back out of the DB and marries it with production data for her own performance metrics

knocks it into real-time web presentations that are available all over the plant via touchscreens

124. amortiser,
    Destroying an electricity system for a theoretical (yet wrong) but imperceptible gain.
    I pray that justice finds these Lysenkoists one day.

I’m cwoss, vewy cwoss.

125. I do like the Germanic compound nature if not the mental picture.

Bear – What would the compound word for “involuntary transgenderization”?

Florida Sheriff Hints Deputies Shot Alleged Arsonist in Penis (21 Nov)

The deputies’ first Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT) maneuver on Neely failed and he continued fleeing, but crashed to a stop during the a second PIT attempt.

Deputies fired at Neely following the second PIT maneuver, hitting Neely with three rounds.

Sheriff Judd explained that one of the rounds hit Neely in groin, adding that “changed the looks of his groin forever, if you know what I mean.”

Bowled middle stump. Got to love Florida.

126. Last few times I’ve been at Melbourne airport (last visit March May 2022?) it was pretty quiet and in t4 many shopfronts empty.
    Now bustling with fewer masks than the local Coles.
    Though I could have walked more quickly the last 2km getting off the eastern freeway onto Alexander Parade.
    Thanks Dan the no east west link Man, who is the subject of quite a few uncomplimentary signs along the way, even in Coburg.
    The Socialist Party has candidate standing in the inner west and north, offering ‘real change’ which I’m assuming is cheerful squalor for everyone.

127. And if you watch 4wd and other car nut YouTubers you will see Green party political ads, seems to me they could be a little more targeted.
    I told my youngest if he voted green he’d be disinherited.
    It was bad enough being subjected to no new coal and gas numpties.

128. Mater

I think we should have gone hard and aligned with Trump’s position in respect to gerbil warming when we had a chance, throughout his term. We could’ve gone some of the way but there are also other parties to console. The other parties being the EU and the Demonrats.

Here’s the problem as I see it. We depend to an enormous extent to protect on the US – our sea-lanes and accessibility to the rest of the world. Like it or not they’re our protectors.

Imagine the Demonrat’s reaction towards us – particularly this current twisted administration- if we walked from the climate accords. Imagine what the EU would do. Being small, population wise- is nice. Roads aren’t as congested, airports are great and our cities are livable in the sense that you have more space in a relative sense. You get the idea. It’s also shitty if you want your voice heard. I wouldn’t put it past the current lot of demons and the EU to disown us if we didn’t play cute.

129. I remember when locals refused to allow Alexander parade to be widened for the freeway.
    Then Kennett came along.
    Some sucker got pulled over for using the t2, as I crawled along I reckon about 90% in the t2 were single occupants.
    I’m sure Dan is itching to install cameras so they can catch all the t2 miscreants.
    I did think traffic wouldn’t be so bad because so many still work from home, but no.

130. Bear – What would the compound word for “involuntary transgenderization”?

I’ll leave that to others, although I expect “delumpen” would be in there somewhere.

131. Doesn’t say if they found a dead slug though.

Beyond Meat factory riddled with mold, other dirty conditions: leaked documents (21 Nov)
    Via Instapundit

… Two other ex-employees confirmed that bacteria had been found at the facility.

The outlet [Bloomberg] also obtained internal documents stating that various contaminants, including string, metal, wood and plastic, had been found in Beyond Meat products produced at the plant as recently as last December.

Bloomberg published photos from inside the facility that were provided by a former employee. The pictures showed “what appear to be spills, unsafe use of equipment, and mold on walls and ingredient containers,” according to the report.

Butcher’s sausages look like pristine paragons of food virtue compared to this fake meat stuff.

132. Since I’m on Gaia’s holy food laws:

‘Real’ Meat Grown In Steel Vats Served At UN Climate Conference (17 Nov, via Climate Depot)

Media and ministerial officials at Egypt’s climate summit were served “cultivated chicken” at private events from Nov. 12 to Nov. 14, according to cultivated meat manufacturer GOOD Meat’s press release. “Cultivated chicken” is artificially produced by harvesting chicken cells from the animal that are then put into a large steel “cultivator” which provides energy and warmth to help grow the product, according to GOOD Meat’s website.

World leaders and officials can enjoy $100 Angus beef medallions, seafood and other pricey food options in COP27’s VIP zone.

I got a feeling the Angus steaks were very popular and the frankenchicken ones somehow weren’t.

133. What would the compound word for “involuntary transgenderization”?

In the case of a male…Unfreiwilligschwanzloser.

A native speaker might correct that, but the meaning would be clear.

134. Imagine the Demonrat’s reaction towards us – particularly this current twisted administration- if we walked from the climate accords.

Do you really think the Democrats care what we do?

Most Americans don’t have a clue where Ostrailer is on the map.

135. Anyone who’s had the misfortune to receive the chicken roll at a major function venue can relate. At least that was a chicken at one point in its unfortunate existence.

136. CBS REPORTS: INSIDE HUNTER’S BIDEN’S LAPTOP

I learn via Twitter that CBS News has a big announcement. It has retained digital forensic analyst Mark Lanterman to authenticate the contents of Hunter Biden’s laptop. This just in, as they say in the business: CBS News reports that the contents are what they purport to be!

Clay Travis comments that this breaking news comes

<strong>Two years after anyone with a functional brain realized the Hunter Biden laptop was 100% real
    @CBSNews has finally gotten around to reporting the Hunter Biden laptop is 100% real.

This all must come as a great shock to anyone who gets his “news” from CBS News. No one involved in delivering the “news” here seems to have any idea how absurd he or she sounds.

137. Does it loosely translate as Free Willy something or other.

Quite literally…unfreewilling dick loser.

Schwanzloser is slang, which is what I suspect a native speaker might have a more proper alternative for.

138. “But I think we’ve got to try” has she ever looked at the risk/benefit of this? If it doesn’t work, and it won’t, the damage will be truly enormous, way more than any perceived benefit.

She is risking Australia’s future for what? To change the weather by a zillionth of a degree? In fact no one has provided any evidence to suggest it will make any difference to the weather at all.

139. calli says:
    November 22, 2022 at 8:45 am

In 1971 Wallabies Jim Boyce, Tony Abrahams, Paul Darveniza, Terry Forman, Barry McDonald. James Roxburgh, and Bruce Taafe (the Rugby Seven) refused to play against the Springboks.

I don’t see the same courage in any of the sideline antics in Qatar. Sure there are protests, but they are there; they are playing; and their purpose is to win the World Cup, not eliminate human rights abuses.

140. Beautiful condition, those rifles. Out of the factory, into the box, and sleep for 80 years.

I unwrapped a 1954 Enfield Blondie several years back – right from the storage paper, and yes, its since been fired – you dont buy racehorses to look at.

141. No one involved in delivering the “news” here seems to have any idea how absurd he or she sounds.

I was informed a couple of nights ago by a Nein newsmouth that “the RFS warns that we are entering the most dangerous bushfire period for the last twelve months”.

142. Lucre…it’s what they’re all in it for.

I’m not sure. There is a core of quasi-religious zealots who, in an earlier time, would have been walking the streets in “The End is Nigh” sandwich boards or burning witches. Of course, they are ably assisted by others who recognise the opportunity for political or financial advantage.

143. I think CPR dummies should look like hot babes, but not too big in the chest area as that’d make heart massage practice fairly disturbing.

Wokism for dummies! Researchers claim CPR mannequins aren’t diverse enough – and rely too heavily on lean, white men (21 Nov)

“Mannequins used to practice life-saving CPR aren’t diverse enough, doctors have claimed. Researchers want to ditch the reliance on default ‘lean white male’ models. Doing so will help overcome ‘bias’ among bystanders and help improve the survival of other groups, they say.”

Doing mouth to mouth for the bronze medallion test would be so much more enjoyable.

144. I found out that the same principle crossed over into medicine far too late.

I’m still waiting for a massive apology from everybody on the Right to Meryl Dorey and Andrew Wakefield.

145. I’m not sure. There is a core of quasi-religious zealots who, in an earlier time, would have been walking the streets in “The End is Nigh” sandwich boards or burning witches.

Yes, those are in it because of a sublimated will to power over others.

146. “the RFS warns that we are entering the most dangerous bushfire period for the last twelve months”.

that needs a correction – for the last SIX months..

147. I’m not sure. There is a core of quasi-religious zealots who, in an earlier time, would have been walking the streets in “The End is Nigh” sandwich boards or burning witches.
    Yes, those are in it because of a sublimated will to power over others.

I attended the school kids strike in Brisbane in 2019. I took a photo of an inflatable sign which said:

The End is Nigh
    It’s Real This Time.

148. Roger says: November 22, 2022 at 11:44 am

Yes, those are in it because of a sublimated will to power over others.

When I first viewed that comment it was comment # 1984 of the thread. Spooky.

On a similar vein:
    Alastair McAlpine, MD @AlastairMcA30 · 11m

“Died Suddenly” is the new “Plandemic” is the new “Vaxxed”…

Just antivaccine misinformation,
    dishonest framing and conspiracy theory reheated and reserved.

It’s always the same.

On the one hand, if you keep predicting the end of the world then possibly one day it will happen by chance.
    On the other hand, conspiracy theory documentaries made by paranoid delusionals in May 2020 several months before any C19 vaccine had even been trialled should not be put in the same credibility category as documentaries made much later which can cite statistics from multiple sources with the luxury of hindsight.

149. I finally managed to turn off the hectoring schoolmarm

“You lot” are probably ages in front of me, but I found out today that the road speed indicator in my 3-y-o Subaru is programmed: new Subarus now have that information from reading the speed signs.
    Too many law suits from booked drivers saying it wasn’t their fault that they were speeding, just following the on-board computer speed announcement.

150. Got to be the best headline today:

Journalists Run to Twitter Alternative, Promptly Turn It Into a Hilarious Mean Girls Club (21 Nov)
    Via Lucianne

“If you ever wondered who the softest people on the planet are, we’ve definitively gotten an answer over the last few months. And all it took was an eccentric, trolling billionaire buying Twitter.

Ever since that acquisition took place, journalists have been migrating to a platform named “Mastodon” because Twitter is apparently a bastion for “hate” now. … Sure enough, it didn’t take long for the social media site (or whatever it is) to turn into a hilarious mean girls club. In fact, things have gotten so bad that “Stux,” who I presume is either the founder of and/or some kind of director at Mastodon, is already complaining.”

I think Dover might identify with Stux’s woes as it sounds a lot like he has a “Report Comment” function…

151. Top Ender:

There’s that term again.
    ‘Deep’ knowledge. ‘Deep’ experience etc.
    It looks like the latest buzzword has hove to.
    Better than ‘Top Men’.

152. It’s true that the mannequins are male, I guess they’re easier for the CPR trainers to stash in their cars.

That said perhaps they should carry a realistic female mannequin so students can get used to being appropriately inappropriate with a female patient.

Then again, it could be that someone’s tried this and found the learning went nowhere as a result.

153. South Africa Urgently Seeks Cash for Eskom to Buy Diesel

Utility spent over 11 billion rand on diesel through October

If you’re running your generators on diesel instead of heavy fuel oil, you’re already in a world of trouble.