WolfmanOz at the Movies #1

Well with Christmas upon us it would be a good place to start the Weekly Film Thread for Cats to post their most memorable Xmas movies, to get their minds off the insanity of the world today.

To start things off I’ve always had a soft spot for the 1970 musical Scrooge starring Albert Finney in the title role and Alec Guinness as Jacob Marley.

Of course, it’s A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and, although the Alistair Sim 1952 movie is arguably the best film version, I’ve always enjoyed this film since I first saw it when it was first released over 50 years ago.

Other Xmas favorites would include It’s A Wonderful Life, and, if I’m in a mood for action and suspense, then you can’t go pass the original Die Hard.

46 thoughts on “WolfmanOz at the Movies #1”

1. Zulu

Also, and I really, really, REALLY hate to say this, the Superstar version which featured Tim Minchin. He was excellent, as was the rest of the cast and the arrangement.

2. Love, Actually is a cockle-of-the-heart warming reminder that for every stuffy white brit male, there’s a lower class dollybird ready to open their legs.

3. Rickman and his secretary.
    Firth and his housekeeper.
    Young Colin and his American Beauties.
    Grant and the tea lady.
    Even Nighy monsters his manager in a predatory gay way.
    Am I wrong? Explains the perplexingly persistent popularity.

4. Die Hard is a good movie. It is not a Christmas movie and you can only make it one by performing contortions with the narrative that would make the Greens blush.

5. calli says:
    December 23, 2021 at 8:03 pm
    Watching Die Hard right now!

Happy Christmas and Yippie Ki Yay from Nakatami Tower!

?

Enjoy !

I’d like to convince my wife to re-watch it again tonight !

6. 1. Love Actually (I watch it every Christmas)
    2. Die Hard (watched it last week)
    3. Last Christmas (was surprised by it last year, really enjoyed it)
    4. Shrek the Halls

And I love watching tv shows Christmas specials.

7. The most amusing is playing right now: almost every country in the world has instituted mask mandates. For a virus that is acknowledged to be little worse than a common cold.

8. Watched ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ the night before last. Sometimes I’m tempted to feel that my guardian angel is a ‘Clarence’. We also like ‘The Shop Around the Corner’ with Jimmy Stewart. ‘You’ve Got Mail’ is it’s modern take, but we prefer the old one.

9. I agree with Roger and Ellen…”It’s a Wonderful Life.”
    Jimmy Stewart has always been a favourite actor of mine.
    One of the best movies/stories ever made in my opinion.

10. John Brumble says:
    December 23, 2021 at 7:50 pm
    Die Hard is a good movie. It is not a Christmas movie…

As a wise man once said, “There are only 2 types of people in this world. Those who think Die Hard is a Christmas Movie, and those who are wrong. “

11. I miss the Christmas kids cartoons that once upon a time were on every year.

The Little Drummer Boy, done with puppets; Frosty, the Snowman; Rudolf, the Red-nosed Reindeer; Peanuts Christmas Special.

12. I’ve just watched the scene in “Once Upon a Time in Hollyweird” where the Pitt* is in his Kharmann Ghia hooning around the Hollyweird Hills like a Japanese dentist.

Err, I’m sure there might be a Christmas angle that could be worked in somewhere.

If not, tough titties. 🙂

*Sans white Levi’s jacket

13. “After a divorced New York mother hires a nice old man to play Santa Claus at Macy’s, she is startled by his claim to be the genuine article. When his sanity is questioned, a lawyer defends him in court by arguing that he’s not mistaken.”

Miracle on 34th Street.

Regarded as the definitive Christmas movie when I was a yoof. Which I’ve still never seen.

14. Some lovely movies selected here . . .

Here on the Cat I’ll be making a weekly post on films aka WolfmanOz at the Movies.

I’ll be discussing a movie topic and/or film to review/debate – invariably accompanied with a movie clip or two.

Finally, and most importantly, a Merry Xmas to you all !

15. Rex, we live in hope.

At least if it’s a sideways gotcha tax we can feel like we’ve bought our tickets to the greatest show on earth (pollie, Sneakers, court lynchings)…