WolfmanOz at the Movies #2

Everyone loves a line and a quote from a movie

Whether it be dramatic or comedic there’s always a pithy line or two from countless movies that everyone can either relate to or enjoy.

One of my favourites, is from a now often forgotten comedy from the early 1930s, Dinner At Eight.

It’s still priceless in its’ timing and delivery:

Interestingly the movie’s screenplay was co-written by Herman J. Mankiewicz, most famous for co-writing Orson Welles masterpiece Citizen Kane.

So, what’s your favourite line and/or quote from a movie ?

Also, what makes it so special/memorable for you ?

39 thoughts on “WolfmanOz at the Movies #2”

1. “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” -Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride.

It applies to just about every Leftist thought bubble.

2. “Nobody ‘has to’ do anything.”
    Cary Grant in North by Northwest on being told that lovely Eva Marie Saint ‘has to’ put her life in danger to catch a spy.

“If it bleeds, we can kill it.”
    Predator

3. “Its A Hell Of A Thing, Killing A Man. You Take Away Everything He’s Got And Everything He’s Ever Gonna Have.”

Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven.

Brutal, honest and chilling.

4. Dirty Harry has so many great quotes/lines in the 5 movies Clint made.

One of my favourites is from The Dead Pool:

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

5. North by North West
    The whole train scene with Eva Marie Saint was word sex. So well written.

“I never discuss love on an empty stomach.”
    Roger Thornhill: You’ve already eaten!
    Eve Kendall: But you haven’t.

6. “Mr Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!”

The Hound of the Baskervilles, several versions. When well delivered, absolutely chilling.

7. The entire movie Hobson’s Choice. But especially the exchange between Hobson and his newly acquired son-in-law after the former has been served an action for damage to another business.

“By Gum, think of that, why it’s very near worthwhile to be ruined for the pleasure to read about it in a printed paper…other people’s troubles is mostly what folks read the papers for and I reckon that it’s twice the pleasure to them when it’s the trouble of a man they know themselves.”

8. The Great Escape: Hiltz to the Commandant before he’s put in the cooler for attempting to escape.

“You speak for yourself, Colonel…I haven’t seen Berlin from the ground or the air and I plan on doing both before the war is over.”

9. Transcribed:

Gen. Urquhart: “Hancock, I’ve got lumatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the Jeeps haven’t arrived. My communications have completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?”

Pvt. Hancock: “It wouldn’t hurt, sir…”

10. For me, one of the most chilling exchanges in “Cross of Iron” and as relevant today as it would have been in the movie’s 1943 (transcribed as best I can remember):

Lt Myer: “Men like Stransky, they don’t live in the same world we do, but they can be very dangerous, especially when going down in defeat”
    Cpl Steiner: “Yes, well he’s living in my world now”
    LM: “Mark my words, they’ll emerge from this war with their wealth and their lands intact and they’ll still be ruling over us”
    CS: “Lieutenant, what’s left for them to rule?”

11. Schwarzenegger in Commando, just after he has dropped the vile hoodlum Solly off a cliff after holding him suspended at arm’s length, is asked by his terrified bit of fluff ‘what happened to Solly?’:
    I let him go