Rabz’ Radio Show April 2022: Disco

Cats, due to popular demand, here we are. I’m not even going to pretend that it’s one of my favourite musical genres, but nonetheless, there are some diamonds in the dirt.

To truly understand the rise and (seeming) fall of disco, one needs to understand the Seventies as the era that taste forgot.

Following on from the revolutionary changes in social mores that began in the Sixties and similar to many musical subcultures before, disco was initially an “underground” phenomenon that later slipped seamlessly into the mainstream. To paraphrase, that time “when bank clerks started dressing like Neil Diamond”.

This piece at Reason attempts to put disco in context and this film looks like it might also be worth checking out. Not to mention this riotous event, which I wish I’d been at.

Anyway Cats, don those flares, stacked heels, open necked polyester shirts (chest carpet obligatory), munch on some ‘luudes and boogie on down.

Here’s a piece from the seventies

and a neo disco piece to get you in the mood

Enjoy!

136 thoughts on “Rabz’ Radio Show April 2022: Disco”

1. Quaaludes may have been the stimulant of choice for city folks, we in the suburbs had Seaview sparkling wine April Gold and Rhinegold. Well, the girls did.

2. Cats, this is Rabz’s radio show.

Maybe he’ll take requests towards the end of the night.

(By which time I’ll have long since retired with a good book.)

3. No, Rog – this is an open field, I want people to post their favourite disco ditties

That was the purpose of these monthly posts …

Democracy in action

4. And we mustn’t forget the Frenchman.

I think ‘The King of the Divan’ is Belgian. The song always reminds me of National Lampoon’s European Vacation.

5. calli, at this rate, the extra hour will be barely enough.

Bluddee hell, I was worried that this radio show would not be “well received”.

I was wrong (again). 😕

6. Atomic came out before Heart of Glass and it was a good move. Hit them with your best shot first is my philosophy.

The first time I heard Atomic I had the same reaction as when I first saw Star Wars. Out of this world. 70s were a fantastic decade, everything was still possible and easy.

7. Almost forgot Lipps. Inc

Always reminds me of a school trip to NZ in 1980. I also remember going to see Pseudo Echo at the uni refectory early 1986 and they played this as the encore. Just thought they were having a bit of fun but it was a preview of their cover single that they released a few months later.

8. I had good timing, had just gotten home from a rugby club function when this thread popped up. Thanks Rabz and everyone else for making a fun Saturday night.

9. Worth putting up the Disco wiki. It’s pretty epic. Eighty years of music in one wiki page! I like this one:

The Martian, a 2015 film, extensively uses disco music as a soundtrack, although for the main character, astronaut Mark Watney, there’s only one thing worse than being stranded on Mars: it’s being stranded on Mars with nothing but disco music.

Someone send the soundtrack to Elon, it might save his life. 😀

10. Thelma Houston playout medley from “I’ve got the Music in Me”. direct-cut album.

Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner on drums.

Michael Omartian on Keyboards, etc, etc.

11. Great show Rabz, and so much I remember now, hearing it again. Thanx.

Yep. I was there. Inter-regnum of husbands between 1976 and 1980.
    A lot went on. In between the tears.