1,565 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 24 Sept 2022”

1. This priest decided to skip church one Sunday morning and go play golf. he told his assistant that he wasn’t feeling well. He drove to a golf course in another city, so nobody would know him. He teed off on the first hole. A huge gust of wind caught his ball, carried is an extra hundred yards and dropped it right in the hole, for a 450-yard hole in one. An angel looked at God and said “What’d you do that for?” God smiled and said “Who’s he going to tell?”

2. A soldier ran up to a nun.

Out of breath he asked “Please, may I hide under your skirt, I’ll explain later”.

The nun agreed.

A moment later two military police ran up and asked “Sister, have you seen a soldier?” The nun replied “He went that way”.

After the military police ran off, the soldier crawled out from under her skirt and said “I can’t thank you enough Sister. You see, I don’t want to go to the Ukraine”. The nun said “I understand completely”.

The soldier added “I hope I’m not rude, but you have a great pair of legs!” The nun replied “If you had looked a little higher, you would’ve seen a great pair of balls. I don’t want to go to the Ukraine either!”

3. “duncanmsays:
    September 26, 2022 at 2:16 pm
    But but.. Kelly says she loves being interrupted and “keeping her finger on the pulse”

Why was she out of touch till 8:30am?

Shades of Christine Nixon and Catherine Burn. But it’ll be okay, the sisterhood always gets a free pass.

4. Dr Faustus says:
    September 26, 2022 at 12:23 pm
    Indigenous Australians Minister Linda Burney said on Sunday that enshrining a Voice to Parliament in the constitution would have a tangible impact on the lives of Indigenous people. But with some raising concerns around a two-tier system, she said the Voice would not be consulted on every piece of legislation before the federal parliament.

Why?
    Well, because that’s exactly what Albanese’s form of words for the proposed amendment allows. There is a vanishingly small chance that the GreenLeft-inspired activist wing of the Aboriginal industry would be satisfied with The Voice being limited to giving advice on cultural business.

Indeed. I would have thought that every piece of legislation passed at a federal level would affect indigenous people, to a greater or lesser extent, just as every piece of legislation impacts every one of us, to a greater or lesser extent. And there is no way it will be confined to cultural aspects. Classic slippery slope trap.

5. JCsays:

September 26, 2022 at 2:16 pm

Diogenes, is that true. If it is it’s hilarious.

What mental asylum.

How terrible if true if the wives are squabbling and the two doofues don’t intervene to shut them up? FMD.

There was a gossip column piece a while back that there were rifts in the Awesome Foursome.
    I thought it was hinting at someone digging a hole under the fence.
    They are so gay.
    They wouldn’t care if someone was doing the wife … just don’t poach my interior designer.

6. New Catallaxy
    @New_Catallaxy
    Pitch perfect.
    Quote Tweet
    Greg Price
    @greg_price11
    1h
    This is Italy’s new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

I’ve never heard any politician so perfectly explain what we’re up against and why we fight.

When you watch this video, you’ll quickly realize why the establishment is afraid of her.

Let’s hope the promise bears fruit.

7. dover0beachsays:
    September 26, 2022 at 3:36 pm
    New Catallaxy
    @New_Catallaxy
    Pitch perfect.
    Quote Tweet
    Greg Price
    @greg_price11
    1h
    This is Italy’s new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

Let’s hope the promise bears fruit.

If it’s anything like Scummo’s performance, Italy will move further to the left.

8. This has been typical of industry for the last 30 years. Because gender. Fast tracked to a spectacularly destructive finale.

Your not wrong. My mates … white in their 50s. Might as well not show up.

9. Diogenessays:

September 26, 2022 at 2:27 pm

Diogenes, is that true. If it is it’s hilarious.

I believe Mrs Ds relative. They may have made up since.

If one of them has poached the best piece of Calacatta marble to come out of the Carrara quarry from under the nose of the other, there is no coming back from that.
    It is Duelling Thread stuff.

10. Lead up to the US mid-term elections.

Operation Demoralize

“The media swarms and lies. Tells you it’s over, wants you to give up. Happens every single time.” Don’t fall for it.

Operation Demoralize Has Failed

The ABC/WaPo poll released today is particularly gruesome for Democrats. Biden’s “red” speech also was a wake up call and motivator. Maybe the only success of the speech was to awaken sleeping Republican voters.

The recent “likely voter” as opposed to “registered voter” generic ballot polling points to a strong Republican lead in a measure that has a history of predicting overall control of congress

You know what they say about polls. But the commentary rings true.

11. H B Bear says:
    September 26, 2022 at 3:37 pm
    Your not wrong. My mates … white in their 50s. Might as well not show up.

I said to someone only a few days ago that I am discriminated against on almost a daily basis. I am routinely subjected to ageism, racism and sexism. Worse, the MSM created a virtual meme and assorted radio, TV and social media ‘personalities’ poke fun without any outcry at the blatancy of it.

What am I? An older fair skinned male aka ‘old white bloke’.

12. Your not wrong. My mates … white in their 50s. Might as well not show up.

I am semi-retired and just doing a bit of work here and there, so not directly impacted.
    But, yes, I would hate to be needing to get a job to keep a roof over the head without being able to put Vag on the CV.

13. Speedboxsays:
    September 26, 2022 at 3:49 pm
    H B Bear says:
    September 26, 2022 at 3:37 pm
    Your not wrong. My mates … white in their 50s. Might as well not show up.

What am I? An older fair skinned male aka ‘old white bloke’.

14. A Muslim immigrant kid asks his mother “Mama, what’s a Democracy and what is Racism?” “Well, son, Democracy is when Australian tax payers work every day so we can get all our benefits, you know like free housing, free healthcare, more welfare payments than pensioners get, and on and on, you know, that’s Democracy”. “But Mama, don’t the tax payers, and pensioners get pissed off about that?” “Sure they do, and that’s called Racism!”

15. Time to move to the Philippines. At least our pension is worth something to the young ladies there.

Oh dear.
    Oh deary, deary me.
    …..
    Hi, Prince Andrew!

16. Be careful what you wish for. My old man used to tell the story how he pulled a metal skewer out of some miners’ chest. He married an Asian lady but obviously it wasn’t working out as planned.

17. Dr Faustus at 11.47:

Exceptional takedown of the Expothe.

An entirely appropriate analysis and destruction of the ‘but it has a link and numbers in it’ argument.

18. Cassie of Sydneysays:
    September 26, 2022 at 4:09 pm
    “Time to move to the Philippines. At least our pension is worth something to the young ladies there.”

I thought you were moving to Japan?

If I was of pensionable age, the Philippines looks great.

19. Razey says:
    September 26, 2022 at 3:53 pm
    At least our pension is worth something to the young ladies there.

I’m still working but even so, I suspect Mrs Speedbox may have a strongly held opinion on that subject.

20. You throw it back at them and you render them speechless. I feel good now, really good. My day has improved.

Ha! I read that to the Beloved. He gives you many…many upticks.

COFA will be buzzing with tales of victimisation and lack of safe spaces off campus. Perhaps you’ll feature in an interactive artwork.

21. I’ve read a little on the “Al Jizz- ira” site about the new Italian government’s policies.

The one policy they have relating to the debt is that the new government wants to access an EU lending program.

Economy and social

The programme says Italy should make full use of the almost 200 billion euros ($193 billion) it has been allotted under the EU’s recovery plan in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

They share a currency within the EU and the nation’s debt is approaching 135% of GDP. They have one of the oldest populations in Europe and the economy along with per capita GDP hasn’t risen in 25 years. Debt has grown though and they want to borrow more by accessing the EU allotment.

Rising yields increase the cost of servicing Italy’s debt. That debt pile rose to a record 2.759 trillion euros in April, according to the Bank of Italy. Italy remains a very wealthy country – household net financial wealth is an estimated 10 trillion euros – but the problem is refinancing risks as debt comes due.

22. Can I just make one single comment. They’re fucked and they actually take Europe and the rest of the world down – into a tailspin- due to their almost 3 trillion Euro debt position.

Yes, dear lord yes.

23. Hearing about the euro-weenies collapsing gives me a hard on.

LOl..

There is an alternative, though Bern. The Germans could allow the Euro to fry and thereby allow Italy to get off the hook with a currency devaluation they will all share. In other words turn the entire EU into Italy. But I can’t see the Germans buying into this as it makes their own position worse with the energy issue regarding the cost.

I can’t see a way out of the quagmire. I think we’re just rooted.

24. What a bloody day on the ASX. Down 102.1 points (1.50%). Nasty follow-on from last week’s declines.

And today it was my turn. Had skimmed across the top of the other declines with winners and losers but was totally savaged today. Down 5.56%.

On the plus side, I did pick up some bargains. (Yes, I know about not trying to catch a falling knife).

25. He married an Asian lady but obviously it wasn’t working out as planned.

In many cases(not all) of marrying Asian lasses, you marry her and you may also marry the village. Certainly the extended family. Not to say there aren’t many advantages, just be prepared.

26. Indigenous Australians Minister Linda Burney said on Sunday that enshrining a Voice to Parliament in the constitution would have a tangible impact on the lives of Indigenous people.

I don’t suppose anyone thought to ask “What? And how?”

27. feelthebern says:
    September 26, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Does the average Italian care about what’s going on?
    As long as they can drink their espresso & smoke a cigarillo for breakfast, they’re happy.

Soon, they not may be able to afford that even.

28. No idea. That comment was related to that video and general direction it indicates the people want to travel.

Perhaps, but they’re just deer in headlights coming their way. I’m very pessimistic about this bint as I suspect she had no freaking idea what to do.

29. It started with the push to get mums into the workforce, which the Liberal Party was fully on board with.

Little bloke cruised through 2 years of COVID crap thanks to mum, well ahead of where he needs to be. Some of his poor little classmates effectively had two years off, working mums, who knows if they will recover, not only two years missed, but many bad habits now entrenched.

To be fair to teachers, aside from the fact that most are communist Mongs, you’re pushing it up hill if 90% of the class turns up without basic discipline and etiquette.

We need to block the little blokes ears during parent teacher night. From his an elderly teacher, sounds like he’s a long missed blast from the 1950’s.

30. Sheer idiocy:

Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles has pointed to renewable energy as key to achieving reductions in electricity bills, after being grilled by the Coalition about when Labor will deliver on its promise to cut bills by $275.

Mr Marles said the number one priority for his government was reducing cost of living pressure.

“One of the real differences now, compared to when I first entered parliament in 2007, is that cheap energy in this country is renewable energy,” he said.

“The way in which we get energy prices down is improving our energy grid and having policy certainty, which allows people to invest in the renewable energy and have that renewable energy be able to be received by the grid.

“The problem is we have a lost decade when it comes to energy policy.”

Deputy Opposition Leader Sussan Ley sought to table a document detailing Labor’s Powering Australia policy, which detailed the $275 cut to electricity bills by 2025.

Labor did not grant leave for the tabling of the document, which is publicly available online.

Oz

31. The Albanese Government is an even bigger joke than the Truss Government.
    No way Voice can get up in a legit Vote, so either the Fix is in, or they’re planning on calling an early Election after the Referendum goes down, in hopes of getting a sympathy vote.
    I’d say that’s not a bad plan, and you know what?
    Murdoch will be right on board with it.

32. Indigenous Australians Minister Linda Burney said on Sunday that enshrining a Voice to Parliament in the constitution would have a tangible impact on the lives of Indigenous people.

Current poll @ mail online .. this’ll make Linda happy .. LOL

Will you vote for an Indigenous Voice to Parliament?
    9 votes
    91%
    126 votes
    I don’t know yet
    4 votes

33. Nasty follow-on from last week’s declines.

And it’s going down further. In this market , the correlation is 1.0 with the S&P. Until there is statistical evidence inflation, core CPE etc has topped AND very clear indications the Fed accepts that evidence AND subsequently communicates plausible intent to refrain from throwing hiking hand grenades I can’t see sentiment altering the index trajectory.

But gosh, when it does bottom out there will be some real pickings. Albeit in a different environment than we’ve see these last 2 decades I think.

34. Elsewhere, Cats may have caught up on the news that Optus may be in for more hurt.

A class-action lawsuit could be filed against Optus on behalf of former and current customers by Slater and Gordon after a major hack caused the details of up to 9.8 million customers to be compromised.

The law firm was “assessing possible legal options for affected customers,” class actions senior associate Ben Zocco said despite Optus not yet confirming the circumstances that led to the breach.

“This is potentially the most serious privacy breach in Australian history, both in terms of the number of affected people and the nature of the information disclosed,” Mr Zocco said in a statement.

35. It started with the push to get mums into the workforce, which the Liberal Party was fully on board with.

Yeah, because it’s a Liberal Party, the clue is in the name.
    If you want a Conservative Party, start one up yourself.

36. Off to the Dales today.

In other news, I picked up a headcold in the Zagreb laundromat. Idiotically sitting in a draught while watching the washing twirl around. Not Covid. It still eludes me.

37. Those nice people at S&G can sniff out monster fee income potential at 1000 metres.

Have their shares recovered? Got a fair bit of catching up to do. Most of their equity was transferred to the Poms who saw them coming. Beware solicitors WIP.

38. Some of his poor little classmates effectively had two years off, working mums, who knows if they will recover, not only two years missed, but many bad habits now entrenched.

I read in a union newsletter that some Mongistan schools got behavioural consultants in to assess their year 10 students. The first comment on many assessments was words to the effect of ” gosh your year 8s are big and immature”, referring to the year 10s.

Last year at my old school, when school came back after 2 terms in lockdown, no subject based teaching except for years 11&22 for 4 weeks while they had to teach “how to school”, ie attendance, uniforms, general behaviour, bringing the necessities etc. I would hate to what they would be like after 2 years.

39. Makka says:
    September 26, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Oops. ASX down 121.2 (1.79%). But yes, you probably remember Feb/March 2020 when the covid thing initially scared the market witless – but weren’t there some bargains to be had. BHP @ $22; RIO @ $79; WES @ $30; ANZ @ $14, CBA @ $55!! just to name a few. I remember thinking “back up the truck, I’ll take as many as you’ve got”. Of course there were limits (I’m not Clive) but jeez it was a good opportunity.