2,094 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 5 March 2022”

1. Had the pleasure of offering a differing opinion at Stitch n’ Bitch today – as usual.

Covid – Old and Busted (despite two on their machines in masks)

Ukraine vs Russia – the New Hotness

Naturally Ukraine was the victim. Fair enough, but I gave them a potted history of international dabbling in the place which at least gave pause to the general anger.

Not that it makes any difference. They won’t be trotting off to war to have various body parts blown off.

2. Cassie of Sydney says:
    March 7, 2022 at 3:12 pm
    I’m at work, surrounded mostly by lefties and one of those lefties sitting near me, reading The Guardian website, said out loud that NATO should bomb Belarus.

Haha, that’s priceless. What a retard. No regard for the implications.

But, what Roger said.

3. Knuckle Dragger:

From everything I see and read Winston, I’m not sure I do. Please do NOT confuse this with support for Pallashay. Here it is again:

The Premier of Qld admits they will be used to not only hold the unjabbed but those who are a danger to the public, apparently disease spreaders… a bit like you know, Jews were 80 years ago.

I think you may have misread/misremembered something said previously.
    Please supply a link as I’m not in the habit of deliberately attributing to someone something another has said.

4. Let me get this straight.

The US could bring down oil prices by producing more at home. Biden could go back to Trump era policies which should mean in that the pressure on oil prices should be generally down. They are not doing this due to Climate Change policies etc.

To bring oil prices down the US is talking to Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela to get them to increase oil and gas production. This would strengthen these regimes and bring them greater worldwide legitamacy. You could say in some ways that these regimes are much harsher than Russia. Especially in the treatment of women and human rights.

Conclusion: WTF!

5. Taken me 3 weeks but I’ve gotten thru .. The SS Alibi of a Nation 1922-1945 by Gerald Reitlinger .. a comprehensive history of the SS .. only distraction that I found was that he spends more time on Himmler during the final 100 or so pages than the SS as an organization but otherwise very well researched & written .. well worth reading ..!

Coupla points that I hadn’t known/realised over my 50 + years of WW2 readings ..

The 1st should have been obvious but is rarely detailed in the overall scheme of things .. After the demise of Reynard Hedyrich his entire “empire” passed on to Heinrich Himmler and were absorbed into his police apparatus which now included the entire SD and all it’s subsidiaries, Abwehr and other domestic/foreign spy agencies, making, theoretically, Schellenberg, Canaris, Roeder, Mueller, Kaltenbrunner ect subordinate & answerable to Himmler so from mid 1942 thru to 1945 Himmler was now, Minister of the Interior, Chief of (all) Police, Reichsfuehrer of the SS, Commander-in-Chief of an army group, Commander of the Replacement Army and all the foreign armies in the Reich .. answerable only to Hitler having displaced Goering, in the pecking order, following the failure of the Luftwaffe to dominate the sky above England and the cancellation of “Operation Sea-Lion”.
    From late 1942 onward Himmler recruited, approximately, 650 000 foreign-born citizens into his SS army(s).. mostly without Hitler’s knowledge …!
    The 2nd point is “war crimes/criminals” .. this book was 1st published in 1956 so the after-affects of the War were still on-going .. a lot of us would have read about the “showcase” trials & sentencing of the, so-called, Nazi “big-wigs” at Nuremburg but not so much about the 2nd, 3rd & 4th tier Nazis criminals .. 90% of whom were never charged with anything but of the remaining 10% who were put before a judge very few paid much of a price .. most received sentences of under 5 years and were free in less than two .. the average sentence was 3 years .. In the vast majority of cases heard after 1948 the sentences ranged thru acquittal/parole/18 months imprisonment .. there weren’t many, hard-core, Nazis still serving time after 1952!
    For example .. SS Brigadfuhrer Kurt Meyer sentenced to death 28 Dec 1945 for the murder of Canadian POWs, twice commuted and, eventually, released 7 September 1954.. exactly 10 years after his capture … or if you really want to know how easy it was to get away with murder look up this pair of prime movers in the deaths of over 300 000 Jewish “re-settled” from Hungary .. Edmund Veesenmayer and Admiral Horthy both set free by the US High Commissioner in Germany, Mr. McCloy after spinning the .. “following orders” spiel which was swallowed hook, line & sinker ..!
    The page footnotes to this book mention dozens of these sort of “nothing”end results for military & civilian (PS) administrators who, realistically, should have been executed but instead got “slaps on the wrist lettuce leaf “ sentencing .. especially from the Americans trying to play the “benevolent dictator/uncle” role!
    The most telling statistic is that an incredible number of these “former” Nazis were re-employed in government both state & federal because of a shortage of experienced administrators .. men who were known to have committed atrocities were rewarded, in many cases, with high level public service/police/military positions ..
    So although Nuremburg went thru the motions of “justice” it may in reality only have been a “circus bent on revenge” performance for the war-weary populaces of the “winners” ..
    all showmanship to cover the real scale of the atrocities buried under the old chestnut tree of, “I was only following orders” ..
    The reality was that after September 1948 pursuing & prosecuting war criminals became a downgraded priority .. Major-General Heinz Lammerding who ordered the death of 99 French civilians was not arrested until 1953 but no one ( in the military offices running Germany) was overly interested in his prosecution so he was released without trial ……

6. The Arizona emergency legislation went like this.
    As the state house walked in, the emergency voting legislation was already at their seats.
    Instead of the GOP legislators realising it was a scam & leaving the chamber immediately as no quorum means a vote can’t be held.
    Instead, they didn’t read the bill & voted for it.
    Now they are running around saying it was a mistake.
    But also, it might take months to reverse the emergency legislation.
    This is why the GOP might not win the mid-terms.

7. Reading the Guardian is a bit like being a vegan, they usually can’t wait to tell you they do it. Generally it serves as a good indicator that further conversation should be limited to the weather.

even that’s a bad idea

8. The Ukrainian military left their positions in a hurry, leaving the base with equipment, weapons and ammunition.

Obviously have been trained by the US.

9. New Ukraine propaganda footage.
    A group of refugees walking on a paved path, on flat ground having to climb over a freshly felled tree.
    Camera just happens to be at that point.
    One of the refugees collapses a few meters from the obstacle & remains on the ground.

10. Vicki:

Seems said manager was concerned about repeated ‘racing heart’ episodes since the 2nd shot, despite her Dr saying ‘its nothing’.
    I seem to have one of these discussions every few days now.

Perhaps scarring on the interior surface of the heart which is disrupting the electrical pathways between the upper and lower chambers of the heart. Sometimes known as Ventricular Tachycardia.
    Commonly caused by scarring from infection of the heart muscle and the fluid in the pericardial sac.
    She needs an ECG and a cardiology consult soonest.*
    People who suffer from VT which degenerates into Ventricular Fibrillation are the people who wake up dead.
    *I’m not a doc, just an old bush nurse. Please consult a reputable doctor if symptoms persist.

11. SAS comrades claim they reported Ben Roberts-Smith for alleged war crimes and bullying SIX years before he was publicly accused of murdering Taliban prisoners

Court heard top SAS official not receptive to claims of war crimes and bullying
    Evidence builds against former war hero as comrade claims he was threatened
    Threatening letter said witness ‘should change his statement’ or else ‘go down’

Daily Mail

12. I’ve mentioned on the Cat a couple of times that my wife is Russian and that she works in one of those large ‘league’ type clubs. She has been a resident of this country for over 20 years and a citizen for nearly as long. But, she still has a very pronounced Russian accent when she speaks.

Over the past few days she has had a handful of ‘distasteful’ incidents with patrons. These are two:

Patron: Where are you from?
    Mrs Speedbox: (knowing what he wanted but said) Adelaide
    Patron: You don’t sound like you’re from Adelaide. Where were you born?
    Mrs S: Russia
    Patron: Oh, really. (accompanied by a sneer and then looking away)

Second incident:
    Patron: (ordering coffee at counter) What’s your accent? Where were you from?
    Mrs S: Russia
    Patron: (turned on his heel and walked away. Apparently coffee no longer required)

My wife is showing great restraint but that dam will burst sooner or later.

(I did lightly suggest that she answer ‘Ukraine’ to test the change in response, but I got a withering look).

13. Frank:

God, no!
    Any talk about the weather will turn into AGW.
    Best to just state bluntly “It’s obvious you read the Guardian. It’s an explanation for your political naivety and general stupidity.”

14. Chopper downed by missile. ….Polish Piorun manpad, which can be used for very low altitude helis that Stingers can’t be used for. Down the throat shot at the last minute so the heli couldn’t drop flares, very dangerous.

If thats TRULY a Hind v a MANPAD, its a decent effort, for they are quite resistant to same! …

15. Cassie of Sydney says: March 7, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Nobody at my workplace, except me, is aware there is a Ukraine war. Only one other person here has ever even heard of Ukraine & is able, upon hearing the word, state that “Ukraine” is a country (as opposed to a: disease, tv show, nearby town, type of flower, mechanical device used to lift heavy things, another utility service like electricity or plumbing)

16. Speedboxsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Patron: Where are you from?
    Mrs Speedbox: (knowing what he wanted but said) Adelaide
    Patron: You don’t sound like you’re from Adelaide. Where were you born?
    Mrs S: Russia
    Patron: Oh, really. (accompanied by a sneer and then looking away)

Second incident:
    Patron: (ordering coffee at counter) What’s your accent? Where were you from?
    Mrs S: Russia

My wife is showing great restraint but that dam will burst sooner or later.

I know a few Russians due to the area I live in and being involved in a couple of hobbies that attracts them. Been a few sprays directed their way. A lovely girl is very upset about it, her family is originally Ukrainian but the collapse of the SU meant they ended up Russian citizens. Of course mostly people can’t tell the difference in names or accents.

17. WTF people! Don’t be so fvcking rude. Asking a complete stranger their original birth place (because you know they sound ‘eastern European’). And then following that with a turned up nose ‘cos you don’t like the answer.

abso-fucking-lutely unbelievable. What contemptable tenth rate trash. Of course a lot of cowardly bullies see this as their chance to bully. Fuck me dead.

18. Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    23m
    Replying to
    @RWApodcast
    Information about the creation of humanitarian corridors in Ukraine has been brought to the specialized structures of the UN, OSCE, ICRC and other international organizations through all available information resources, including the media, says the Russian government
    Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    22m
    “All attempts by the Ukrainian side to once again deceive Russia and the entire civilized world concerning the disruption of the humanitarian operation allegedly caused by Russia are useless and pointless this time”
    Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    18m
    Looks like Russia is fed up with Ukrainians disrupting evacuations and has called upon Macron to guarantee the ceasefire, going over Kiev’s head
    Russians With Attitude
    @RWApodcast
    10m
    Also sounds like a “we’re trying for the last time” thing

FYI

19. WTF people! Don’t be so fvcking rude. Asking a complete stranger their original birth place (because you know they sound ‘eastern European’). And then following that with a turned up nose ‘cos you don’t like the answer.

Speedy,
    Most people don’t have a brain to bless themselves with, not that that is a help to your good wife. Russia bad, Ukraine good. Opinion formed with all the (low) info they need.

I had a convo at work today, a lowfo punter going on about the poor Ukrainians. I told him to spare some of his abundant sympathy for the many thousands of ethnic Russian men women and children shelled killed and driven from their homes in the Donbass these last 8 years by Ukraine nationalists sporting the swastika logo. What, you didn’t know about that sport? No, you wouldn’t because our western propaganda has ignored it on your behalf.

20. If anyone is interested in a great podcast on the development of rock n roll I highly recommend “History of rock n roll in 500 songs”.He is achingly woke but the information and the scholarship is first class so you can get past his trigger warnings.

21. If anyone is interested in a great podcast on the development of rock n roll I highly recommend “History of rock n roll in 500 songs” by Andrew Hickey.He is achingly woke but the information and the scholarship is first class so you can get past his trigger warnings.

22. I don’t see why we cant just Putin and the Clown together and fight it out themselves. The winner takes all. The Ukrainian might be in with a shot.

23. Winston Smithsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 5:00 pm
    MMT Policy (Modern Monetary Theory), the grand experiment, was tried following the pandemic-driven shutdown of the economy. It failed miserably.
    As was predicted, again and again and again.

No, it was actually successful in making the rich, richer. That’s what it was designed to do.

24. cohenite

For your edification, extracts from one of Homer’s comments at CL’s site (the Putin/Murdoch thread.

Dum dum, you do know AEMO has coal power constantly on because it is not dispatchable and solar plus wind power is switched off when supply exceeds demand.

25. Gimme Mo o o ney! That’s what I want!

The only suitable song for a supposed economics blog.

Lyrics for the lazy:
    [Verse 1]
    The best things in life are free
    But you can give them to the birds and bees

[Chorus]
    I need money
    That’s what I want
    That’s what I want
    That’s what I want

[Verse 2]
    Your love give me such a thrill
    But your love don’t pay my bills

[Chorus]
    I need money
    That’s what I want
    That’s what I want
    That’s what I want

[Verse 3]
    Money don’t get everything it’s true
    What it don’t get I can’t use

[Chorus]
    Uh huh
    All I want
    Woah Yeah
    Give me Money
    Oh, lots of money
    All those lean greens, Yeah
    I got that, uh, that’s what I mean
    All that I want
    Woah Yeah

26. Boambee John.

I read that
    Read it again to make sure I wasn’t misreading it
    Read it once more to try and understand it.
    Now my brain is bleeding and I have stupid stuck to me.

Not just wrong but 100% reverse correct

27. Ugh, read the MMT article then immediately read Homer’s comment on AEMO.
    Makes my brain hurt. Lefty logic really has to be sipped cautiously not gulped.

28. A salutary reflection on the polarising opinion on the Russia/Ukraine conflict by the redoubtable Peter Hitchins (Daily Mail March 7):

PETER HITCHENS: One glorious day in Sevastopol 12 years ago, I saw what was coming. That’s why I won’t join this carnival of hypocrisy

In the long-ago summer of 2010, I found myself in the beautiful harbour of Sevastopol, surveying the rival fleets of Russia and Ukraine as they rode at anchor in the lovely Crimean sunshine.
    One great fortress was adorned with banners proclaiming ‘Glory to the Ukrainian Navy!’ Another frowning bastion across the water bore the words ‘Glory to the Russian Navy!’
    In the streets of that elegant city, with its porticoes and statues and monuments to repeated wars, sailors from the two fleets mingled on the pavements.
    The Russians looked like Russians, with their huge hats and Edwardian uniforms. The Ukrainians looked more like the US Navy on shore leave in San Diego.
    It was almost funny to see. I hoped at that time that it would work out well. For the Ukrainians had begun to be silly.
    In a country crammed with Russians, they were trying to make Russian a second-class language.
    Russians who had lived there happily for decades were pressured to take Ukrainian citizenship and adopt Ukrainian versions of their Christian names.
    The schools were promoting a national hero, Stepan Bandera, who Russians strongly disliked and regarded as a terrorist. And they were teaching history which often had an anti-Russian tinge. Quite a few people told me they felt put upon by these policies. Why couldn’t they just be left alone?
    Until that point, Ukraine had been a reasonably harmonious country in its 20-odd years of existence. After that visit I saw big trouble coming, both in the Crimea and in the Don Basin, where I also travelled that year.
    Far out among the abandoned slagheaps of the dying coalfields, I found the decaying semi-deserted town of Gorlovka, now in the midst of an unofficial war-zone, where it has been since 2014.
    This town had been officially renamed Horlivka by Ukraine in its high-handed way, though hardly anybody I met there called it that. Gorlovka in those days still hosted the rather pleasant Cafe Barnsley, the last echo of the Soviet days when Gorlovka had been twinned with Barnsley in a gesture of Communist solidarity with Arthur Scargill’s miners.
    I remember, that boiling hot, almost silent afternoon, enjoying a Russian beer there, while listening to music from a Russian station on the radio. I wrote rather vaguely at the time that the people of Crimea and Donbas were hoping for – and expecting – a Russian future.
    I thought that if Ukraine wanted to be a rigid ethnic nationalist state, then some sort of peaceful deal with its Russian minority was going to be needed. Little did I know what passions I had touched on. I was amazed to find that I had done something wicked and subversive. The article was attacked as a ‘dismaying lapse’ by my old friend Edward Lucas, a fine journalist with whom I had spent happy times reporting the collapse of the Soviet Empire, way back in the 1980s.
    I especially recall a joyous celebratory dinner with him and others in the decayed 1950s splendours of the Jalta Hotel on Wenceslas Square in Prague, on the freezing night when the Communist regime finally died there.
    I replied to his rebuke by warning that ‘the conventional wisdom is mistaken, that the open-mouthed sycophantic coverage of such events as the ‘Orange Revolution’ has done us no favours, and that the future in this part of the world is far from settled and we should perhaps prepare for further turmoil rather than imagine that we have opened a Golden Road of peace and prosperity for ever’.
    I asked: ‘Are the Anglosphere nations right to treat Russia as a perpetual threat and pariah long after its global ambitions have collapsed and its military power has rusted away? Its regime is miserable. But then so is that of China, with which we seek good relations.’
    You see, I have been making this point for a very long time. But it never seems to do any good. In fact, I am accused of being a ‘Russian shill’ or even a traitor, of parroting Russian propaganda, or things of that kind. These insults make little impact on me personally because I know they are not true and I have, over the past 30 years been insulted by experts of all kinds. It is normal, if you do what I do.
    But such behaviour makes it harder for the country to keep a level head. In the atmosphere of the last few days, I half-expect to be presented with a white feather on the street by a beautiful young woman, because I refuse to join in the war hysteria now gripping the country. And it is hysteria.
    I have heard a respected MP calling for the deportation of all Russians from this country – all of them. I have heard crazy people calling for a ‘no-fly zone’ in Ukraine. If they got their way it would mean a terrible and immediate European war. I suspect they do not even know what they are calling for. Can you all please call off this carnival of hypocrisy?
    I cannot join in it. I know too much. I know that our policy of Nato expansion – which we had promised not to do and which we knew infuriated Russians – played its part in bringing about this crisis.
    I know that Ukraine’s current government, now treated as if it was almost holy, was brought into being by a mob putsch openly backed by the USA in 2014.
    I know that the much-admired President Zelensky in February 2021 closed down three opposition TV stations on the grounds of ‘national security’. They went dark that night. I know that the opposition politician Viktor Medvedchuk was put under house arrest last year on a charge of treason. Isn’t this the sort of thing Putin does?
    I know that Ukraine’s army has used severe force against Russian civilians in the Don Basin since 2014. The Russians have done dreadful things there, too, but there are plenty of people who will tell you that. The point is that this is not a contest of saints versus sinners, or of Mordor versus the Shire.
    I also find it awkward that, when Britain and the USA rightly denounced Putin’s illegal invasion of a sovereign country, they seemed to have forgotten that we gave him the idea, by doing this in Iraq in 2003. Unlike them I can truly claim to have opposed both these actions.
    I tire of being told that Nato is purely defensive alliance when we know it bombed Serbia in 1999, incidentally killing civilians, when Serbia had not attacked a Nato member.
    I also don’t recall Libya attacking a Nato member before that ‘defensive’ alliance launched the air war on Tripoli which also killed civilians, children included, and turned that country into a cauldron of chaos, benefiting nobody.
    And then there’s the other thing that sticks in my gullet. The countries of the West have egged Ukraine on into a confrontation with Russia which has predictably ended in Putin’s barbaric invasion. But while we stand and cheer at a safe distance, the Ukrainians are the ones who get shelled, bombed, besieged and driven from their homes. Is this honourable? Does sentimental praise for their bravery make up for it?
    I would like to end with two quotations. The first is from the American Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman who said: ‘I am sick and tired of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.’
    The other is from the ‘Benedictus’ in the Church of England’s 1662 Book of Common Prayer, which asks God ‘to give light to them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace’, which I fervently pray, for I am not sure that anything else will now do any good.

29. I don’t see why we cant just Putin and the Clown together and fight it out themselves. The winner takes all. The Ukrainian might be in with a shot.

Zelensky may be younger and athletic, but Putin is a tough bastard.

30. Frank says:
    March 7, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Look thoughtful, nod and say “you’re very wise”.

This usually shuts anyone up. They can’t disagree with you and to agree would be laughably arrogant, so they’re stumped!

31. Salvatore, Understaffed & Overworked Martyr to Govt Covid Stupidity says:
    March 7, 2022 at 4:47 pm
    Announcing proudly that she’s Moldovan should confuse ’em.

You’re right of course, but she never will. She was born in Russia – take it or leave it. And whilst she doesn’t directly support the war, she’s smart enough to know the longer history behind it and more recent events up to now. In any case, she’ll be damned if she will apologise for something that she didn’t initiate and cannot control, merely because of birthplace.

32. I’m old enough to remember broadcasting footage of POW’s was called a war crime.
    During the Iraq war the Press Council & ACMA fielded hundreds of complaints about it.
    Now it’s ok.
    Apparently.

33. In any case, she’ll be damned if she will apologise for something that she didn’t initiate and cannot control, merely because of birthplace.

Good on her. Dealing with fuckwits is always tiresome, but it’s worth knowing who they are.

34. MMT has NOT been tried in the West and anyone suggesting that is a fucking moron.n In fact, anyone making that suggestion here ought to be banned for idiocy.

FFS, the amount of stupid shit coming out of Queersland is just fucking unreal.

35. Rabz, if you’re about, I’ve just had a look at your thread.

+1 for Crossie on Robert Plant and Calli on Talking Heads.

But I would add:
    Dave Warner from the Suburbs: I’m just a Suburban Boy.
    (I saw him in 1979).
    Can’t link ?

36. mole

Did you read my comment at 1059 yesterday? He really has been reading too much alarmist crap. I had hoped he would come back today, but nothing!

37. WTF people! Don’t be so fvcking rude. Asking a complete stranger their original birth place (because you know they sound ‘eastern European’). And then following that with a turned up nose ‘cos you don’t like the answer.

Would you be surprised the last two years blew up a lot more than just the social more of not asking about people’s medical privacy and unleashing tirades against people in public?

Once a social barrier breaks, everything it was holding back flows, and in our hyper repressed bolshevik society, that’s a lot.

38. Speedbox, another option for your wife would be to name the Oblast she’s from and walk away with a smile.

With the exception of a few obvious ones, most Aussies wouldn’t have a clue where they are apart from being somewhere east of Germany.

39. Let me explain MMT in a very, very simple way so even Queerslanders may understand after a hundred years of deep thought- although that’s doubtful.

MMT means that the finance ministry bypasses the market and essentially dumps a load of bonds onto the central bank’s balance sheet. The central bank in turn takes the monetary equivalent and credits the fin min with the corresponding funds ( in other words, money.). The fin min then allocates the funds as the government directs.

This not what is going on in the West. We’re quantitatively easing but the entire process goes through the financial markets and the central bank is creating money not to finance the fin min, but liquefy the system in order raise nominal GDP. In other words, the markets fully understand QE to me a monetary policy tool and NOT a way to fund the government/fin min.

What happens?

The central banks decides 0n the quantity of money it estimates to raise nominal GDP and buys government bonds through a reverse auction periodically. The market decides on the price of bonds in exchange for currency. The last sentence is extremely important so let this sink in. If it’s too difficult then no one can help you.

Yes, western governments are currently running sizeable deficits and the central banks are funding the deficit through the issue of government bonds in the market place.

These two functions are qualitatively different.

This is NOT MMT FFS.

40. Dr. John Campbell may be a bit late arriving at the party, but he is there now.

He’s still on YouTube even though he mentioned the “i” word, I wonder for how much longer.

41. Old blokesays:
    March 7, 2022 at 5:47 pm
    Dr. John Campbell may be a bit late arriving at the party, but he is there now.

The vax has done its damage and the Sheep have been fully brainwashed, which the kindly nurse had a big hand in. I don’t think they will drop him from youtube.

42. In his latest video he looks at two studies, from Florida and Brazil, on the efficacy of ivermectin used as both a prophylaxis and as a cure for SARS-Cov-2. He has now arrived at the conclusion that it should have been used to treat and prevent Covid-19 long ago, and he says that its non-use amounts to a “huge scandal.”

I would say criminal corruption on an industrial scale. remember the palacechooke made it illegal to prescribe in qld for treating covid.

43. How can I live in the US, Stix? I don’t have a green card as I gave it up on my return. I’m not going there in the winter and the intention has always been we spend 3 months of the year there, which is what a tourist visa and the weather permits.

Also, since when was I ever meant to impress you?

44. Indolentsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 5:56 pm
    Do NOT rebuild: Shock advice to flood victims as they are told they must ‘face reality’ and leave their homes forever

Ridiculous. As long as they are insurable, who cares.

45. Struth

Shouldn’t you be at the furniture factory because only yesterday you did a fake flounce then?

Hey JC, I’d like you to show me where and when I flounced?

C’mona, you canna tella me where Ima flounce-a, or you canna be a good a boy and go fuck yourself.

46. Stix

Also, read and understand what I’ve said. I’ve never suggested every Queerslander in a complete imbecile. I’ve just made the observation that you ever see a stupid, ridiculous comment- 9 times out of 10, it’s usually uttered by a moronic Queerslander. How much fairer could I be?

47. Can you all please call off this carnival of hypocrisy?

I think carnival of hypocrisy is a perfect description for this woke clownshitshow unfolding in the west.

In the first week of lockdown I optimistically told the wife this will be all over in 6-8 weeks. Now she is worried about a nuclear war, I keep telling her nobody is stupid enough to start this…. hmmm mmyesss.

48. Speedbox, another option for your wife would be to name the Oblast she’s from and walk away with a smile.

Speedbox’s wife sounds nicely spirited to me. It won’t be long before she serves the crappy customers something not listed on the menu. All with a ladylike smile, I imagine.

All the best, Mrs Speedbox.

49. NationalRoberts-Smith case

SAS soldier cried describing Roberts-Smith kicking man off cliff, court told
    Michaela Whitbourn
    By Michaela Whitbourn
    March 7, 2022 — 4.12pm

An elite soldier has told the Federal Court that he saw a comrade break down in tears while recounting an alleged incident involving war veteran Ben Roberts-Smith kicking an Afghan man off a cliff.

Person 18, a serving Special Air Service soldier whose identity cannot be revealed for national security reasons, gave evidence in Mr Roberts-Smith’s defamation case on Monday that a former soldier dubbed Person 4 told him in late 2012 that he saw Mr Roberts-Smith kick a detainee off a cliff earlier that year in Darwan, Afghanistan.

Person 18, who was not present on the mission in Darwan, said Person 4 would “break down in tears basically every time” he recounted the alleged incident.

Person 4 told him that he saw a fellow SAS soldier holding an Afghan detainee before “Ben Roberts-Smith kick[ed] him off the cliff”, Person 18 said on Friday.

Person 18 said he “stopped the conversation” because “this was another night where [I was] watching friends break down over things that happened in Afghanistan and … I was sick of it.”

Person 18 was called to give evidence for The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Canberra Times in the defamation suit filed against the mastheads by Mr Roberts-Smith.

Mr Roberts-Smith alleges a series of articles published in 2018 portray him as a war criminal. The media outlets are seeking to rely on a defence of truth and allege Mr Roberts-Smith committed or was involved in six murders of Afghans under the control of Australian troops, when they cannot be killed under the rules of engagement.

Mr Roberts-Smith maintains any killings in Afghanistan were carried out lawfully in the heat of battle. The decorated former soldier has previously told the court that the Afghan man was first seen in a field and was showing hostile intent.

Mr Roberts-Smith said last year that another soldier, Person 11, spotted the Afghan man and started firing, before he fired from behind his comrade. The Afghan man had “fallen”, Mr Roberts-Smith said, and he believed Person 11 fired further rounds.

Ben Roberts-Smith checked whether drone recorded events on day of alleged murders, court told

Person 4 has previously told the court that the Afghan man had a donkey with him and was unarmed.

The court heard on Monday that Person 18 was present during a 2010 battle in Tizak, Afghanistan, for which Mr Roberts-Smith was awarded Australia’s highest military honour, the Victoria Cross.

Mr Roberts-Smith’s legal team have alleged that their client’s reputation was destroyed by a campaign led by “bitter people” in the SAS who were “aided by credulous journalists”.

Person 18 said he had never spoken to the media about Mr Roberts-Smith.

Asked whether he had heard soldiers express the view that Mr Roberts-Smith did not deserve the Victoria Cross, Person 18 said it had been a “common rumour for the last 12 years” within the SAS.

He likened the SAS to a “country wives’ club” and said rumours were rife. It was a “very toxic environment” in which “any rumour is expanded tenfold”

The hearing continues.

Person 18, a serving member of SASR, likened the SAS to a “country wives club….”

50. WTF people! Don’t be so fvcking rude. Asking a complete stranger their original birth place (because you know they sound ‘eastern European’).

Would like to know the demographic, most likely not truck driver, train driver or any man or woman on the tools. Will be some fucking Karen or Neil or some lefty twat.

51. Struthsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:16 pm
    A man who got jabbed that was on this site and knew all the reasons not to, who didn’t have to, shouldn’t really be talking about other’s intelligence levels.

They admit it….oops.

The head of Bayer also confirmed that the mRNA clot shot is gene therapy.

The Sheep are pretty dumb. Baaaaaaaa

52. DrBeauGansays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:18 pm
    Let me know if Putin nukes Washington. Anything less interesting, don’t bother to mention. I find hysteria somewhat irritating.

No, Vlad has confirmed he is going to drop a nuke on the Hunchbacks house first.

53. I haven’t been following the Roberts-Smith trial closely, but the snippets I have read suggest that somewhere in the last 15 years or so, the SAS selection process has broken down completely.

54. Let me know if Putin nukes Washington. Anything less interesting, don’t bother to mention.

DrB is in his bunker well supplied with cigars and is happy!

“Phone Hasn’t Stopped Ringing” – The World’s Ultra Rich Are Panic Buying Doomsday Bunkers (7 Mar)

Gary Lynch, the general manager of Texas-based Rising S Co., told The Sun that underground doomsday bunker demand is up more than 1000% since Russian troops invaded Ukraine on Feb. 24.

“Typically, I’ll sell between two and six shelters a month – and usually winter is a quiet time for us.

“But I sold five units alone on Thursday, and I’ve sold two more already today – there’s no telling how many more [orders] we will get.

“The phone hasn’t stopped ringing, and we’ve been sending out so many quotes,” added Lynch.

Remember to duck and cover.

55. Boambee Johnsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:28 pm

The Army went woke years ago.

56. Certainly all that has to be taken into consideration. Working with the wish list they have the requirements will have to be balanced against each other and prioritised.

But they ARE already on the short list. The fact the Brisbane and Newcastle are on shows just how seriously this exercise is being taken, ie not at all

57. rickw says:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Would like to know the demographic…..

58. The fact the Brisbane and Newcastle are on shows just how seriously this exercise is being taken, ie not at all

Having a nuclear sub run over by a coal ship would ruin my whole day. Maybe I need to buy one of those bunkers. Very reasonable prices!

59. …balanced against each other and prioritised

Where are the marginal seats?
    How many Karen/doctors’ wives votes will we lose?
    How many worker/small business votes will we gain?

60. Boambee Johnsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:28 pm

61. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_WpSXsWs80The grouping of troops of Lugansk and Donetsk People’s Republics, with the fire support of the Russian Armed Forces, continues successful offensive operations.

The units of People’s Militia of Donetsk Republic are successfully developing offensive in Mariupol from the north-western and eastern directions.

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation strike at the assets of the military infrastructure of Ukraine.

On March 6, the airfield of the Ukrainian Air Force in Vinnytsa was disabled by high-precision long-range weapons.

Fighter aircraft and air defence of the Russian Aerospace Forces shot down three more Ukrainian Su-27 fighters and three unmanned aerial vehicles in the air.

In total, for yesterday and incomplete today, the Ukrainian Air Force lost 11 assault aircraft and 2 helicopters.

Almost all combat-ready aviation of the Kiev regime has been destroyed.

At the same time, we know about Ukrainian assault aircraft that had previously flown to Romania and other border countries.

The use of the airfield network of these countries for basing Ukrainian military aviation with subsequent use against the Russian Armed Forces can be regarded as the involvement of these states in an armed conflict.

Russian high-precision long-range weapons and military equipment of Ukraine are put out of action.

The Kiev nationalist regime forces employees of enterprises of the military-industrial complex of Ukraine to restore damaged military equipment for subsequent deployment to the areas of hostilities.

As part of the task of demilitarizing Ukraine, the Russian Armed Forces will defeat Ukrainian enterprises of the military-industrial complex with high-precision weapons.

In order to avoid a threat to the lives of employees of enterprises of the Ukrainian defence industry, we warn in advance of planned strikes against such facilities.

We call on the personnel of the Ukrainian defence industry plants not to be led by the Kiev nationalist regime and to leave the territories of their enterprises.

During a special military operation, the facts of the Kiev regime’s emergency cleanup of traces of a military biological program funded by the US Department of Defence implemented in Ukraine were revealed.

We have received documentation from employees of Ukrainian biological laboratories on the emergency destruction of especially dangerous pathogens of plague, anthrax, tularemia, cholera and other deadly diseases on February 24.

Now the documents are being analyzed by Russian specialists of NBC protection troops.

It is obvious that with the beginning of a special military operation, the Pentagon had serious concerns about the disclosure of conducting secret biological experiments on the territory of Ukraine.

The received documents confirm that the development of biological weapons components was carried out in Ukrainian biological laboratories, in the immediate vicinity of the territory of Russia.

In order to prevent the disclosure of facts of violation by the United States and Ukraine of Article 1 of the UN Convention on the Prohibition of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons, the Ukrainian Ministry of Health sent an instruction to all biological laboratories on the emergency liquidation of stored stocks of dangerous pathogens.

In the near future we will present the results of the analysis of the received documents.

? https://disk.yandex.ru/d/dyWUEF3tDZGauw

62. I did lightly suggest that she answer ‘Ukraine’ to test the change in response

she could layer the accent on as thick as possible and say with raised eyebrows, “I came here 173 years ago from Transylvania”

63. Both male, 50’s to early 60’s, nicely dressed and who you would otherwise regard, in appearance at least, as ‘gentlemen’.

Of course “respectable” people…. fucking Neil’s.

64. DrB is in his bunker well supplied with cigars and is happy!

Truth is, I have run out of cigars and the next lot aren’t due until Wednesday. But I’m tough. I can handle it.

What gets up my nose is the loony press peddling panic. Or it would if I took any notice of it. Figuring out that politicians and press want me in a state of hysterical panic, over a virus, over nuclear war, whatever, was pretty easy. Deciding to ignore the daft buggers was even easier.

So I don’t need a bunker. The chances of Putin targeting Perth are too small to consider. I only have to worry about Mark McClown going even further off his chump. And that should provide some innocent entertainment.

65. She could layer the accent on as thick as possible and say with raised eyebrows, “I came here 173 years ago from Transylvania”

Extraordinary.

(Her wiki is interesting. I suspect Vlad has watched the whole Nikita series, since he’s KGB and a fan of hers.)

66. What do you think his next step will be?

There’s two ways he can go. He can face up to the fact that masks don’t work, something well known to everyone with a functioning brain, that lockdowns don’t work, ditto, and that vaccines don’t work, ditto. The downside of this is admitting that every Australian government screwed up.

The alternative is to slither out using any excuse he can find.

It’s possible that he’ll double down, but this won’t work because every other country is giving up. So my money is on a slither.

67. What gets up my nose is the loony press peddling panic. Or it would if I took any notice of it. Figuring out that politicians and press want me in a state of hysterical panic, over a virus, over nuclear war, whatever, was pretty easy.

Not letting anyone manipulate your frustrations is the key, DrBG.

68. The chances of Putin targeting Perth are too small to consider.

69. Speedbox

Sound like Friends of Their ABC.

70. The chances of Putin targeting Perth are too small to consider

just checked Nuke Map and the Tsar Bomba would a do the job

… Margaret River would still be ok

71. Speedy – I’ve mentioned a time or two the Russian vacation students who were placed in our lab. From Mendeleev and Moscow State. The guys were excellent and the ladies breathtaking. A mix of innocence and spring steel, since they could drink any of us under a table. When they arrived our boss’s motherly PA took the ladies down to Bar Beach first thing, and they paddled in the Pacific Ocean. They’d never seen the sea before.

72. Boambee Johnsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 5:03 pm
    cohenite

FMD. Dispatchable power means power on demand: only non weather dependent power sources such as coal, gas, nuclear and hydro (while the water lasts) can do this. Batteries can’t because they do not produce power only store it inefficiently. Wind and solar are weather dependent and cannot supply power on demand. They are therefore non-dispatchable energy sources.

Solar and wind are switched off or rather their power is run up a pole because they often produce excess power when demand is lowest, such as noon with solar or in the middle of the night with wind.

When you add the $13 billion in direct subsidies W&S receive from the government you then realise the fraud that W&S are. Unless of course you are a pompous stupid greenie.

73. just checked Nuke Map and the Tsar Bomba would a do the job

You need a grid of 1 km with a smaller weapon on each point. One bomb on most Australian cities will leave large parts undamaged.

74. Choose a target of no great importance to anyone but those living there. Nuke it in a standoff to prove you are for real.
    Perth fits the bill and I once was told served that role in the cold war

75. It won’t be long before she serves the crappy customers something not listed on the menu.

It pays to keep a matchbox of dead skin filed from ones feet handy at all times.

76. Perth fits the bill and I once was told served that role in the cold war.

I do remember that scenario – pick a city on a remote continent, flatten it with nuclear weapons, add biological weapons to taste, and dare anyone to go from there.

77. S&W get preference to the grid when they do work which means the big coal generators have to keep operating because they cannot be switched on and off without being able to sell their power. As well the big coal generators have to buy Large Scale Energy Certificates from the W&S producers for every watt of power W&S do manage to produce, which is only 20% of the time averaged over the year. To rub salt into the commercial wound big coal has to keep running to back up the intermittent W&S.

Is this the shit Howard inflicted on the country copied from Merkel-land?

78. Why choose Perth when he could get the support of the Australian ppl by taking out Canberra?

That would be targeting the leaders. They may retaliate or their command and control system would.

79. DrBeauGansays:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:32 pm
    Perth fits the bill and I once was told served that role in the cold war

Piss off. Victoria first. Spring St to be exact.

80. Is this the shit Howard inflicted on the country copied from Merkel-land?

Krudd and the slapper did. Little johnny’s crime was not resisting it; just like all conservatives.

81. cohenite

My response to Homer at 1059 yesterday.

Non Mentis

My apologies. I had forgotten that someone who never completed pre-school needs to be coached in terms suitable for a pre-schooler.

Dispatchable electricity is electricity that is available whenever it is needed. It is needed when someone, somewhere, turns a switch on, any time, day or night, sunny or not, windy or not. Constantly available coal power is immediately available when the switch is turned on. Intermittent power is not.

Solar power is intermittent. It is not available during the night, and drops out randomly during the day if clouds pass between the sun and the solar collector cells. Wind power is intermittent. It is not available when the wind isn’t blowing, or is blowing too softly, or is blowing too hard. For these reasons, ruinables are not a reliable source of continuous power.

Is that simple enough for your tiny, poorly developed, mind to comprehend?

82. Eyriesays:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:31 pm
    just checked Nuke Map and the Tsar Bomba would a do the job

Which is the reason the US, followed later by the Soviets, switched from missiles with a single large warhead to multiple smaller warheads. Far too much overkill wasted at the drop point with the Tsar Bomba type, and the damage not spread widely enough to wreck a large city.

83. Wally Dalí says:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:34 pm

You’d get the support of WA if you nuked Perth.
    Or, more specifically, ground zero Rockingham.

It’s too late for Rockingham, McGowan has already moved out because the people living there were saying rude things to him.

84. Poesidon is of course the tsunami bomb. Roughly a ten megatonne warhead exploded deep in the ocean off shore. Tsunami heights up to 500 m.

85. Do you think that I might have gone a bit too heavy on the patronising contempt?

You can never go too heavy with lefties.

Speaking of which when will the LNP ever do something about the fucking abc; that bloated kunt louise has now scored the trifecta of conservative men: Pell, Porter and Tudge, all whom admittedly did not go all in back at the cesspool.

86. There’s a disgraceful ad on FTA TV- lotsa “WA says thankyou WA, for continuing to obey WA orders and getting the jab for WA and being nice and showing your papers to thankful WA police and graciously phone-logging into grateful WA businesses who thankfully administer the QR checkpoint, all in masks, thankfully!”
    Nothing about internal border enforcement, nothing about masking kids, nothing about mandatory jabs, “complete” jabs, “booster” jabs, nothing about locking loved ones out of hospitals and care homes.
    The ad concludes with a fop scanning his phone onto a plastic plinth, then showing it to a masked doorman, turning to the camera and saying “Thankth, WA, for keeping uth all thafe!” Lone metrosexual then puts on a mask and enters empty venue, alone.
    The man is Mark MacGowan.

87. Bruce of Newcastle says:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:29 pm
    …….the ladies breathtaking. A mix of innocence and spring steel, since they could drink any of us under a table.

Yep. 100%. Many years ago my wife and I rented a holiday house for Christmas and assorted rellies came to stay for the Christmas/New year period. My sister/her husband and my nephew who was around 23 years old at the time. Long story short, he challenged (!!!) my wife to a vodka drinking competition. I shit you not.

Two things about this: First – never, ever, challenge a Russian about anything. Secondly – ….see number one.

My nephew thought that because he was young, fit etc that he could outdrink my wife who is a petite woman. Big mistake. Huge.

Anyway, she clobbered him. Eventually, he vomited and passed out on the lawn. He was severely hung over the next day and my wife cooked up bacon and eggs placing them under his nose. She was ruthless. If she had any residual after effects, she didn’t show them – and never would.

It was a masterclass.

88. Part of our family legends these days. Still spoken about how (Mrs Speedbox) showed (the nephew) how to drink.

Invaluable for the young to learn these lessons.

89. The Drum and SBS have built whole programs around the suffering and heroic struggle new arrivals to this country go through.

Prominent among the torments they must face is a question: ‘Where are you from ?’

Outrageous.

‘No, but where are you really from?’ then follows.

One is left pondering why we have a Human Rights Commissioner.

Oh for the glory years of Possumarse !

What, you’re from Russia you say. Monster ! War criminal ! Nazi ! Racist !

90. It was a masterclass.

Awe, Speedbox. You have a fine lady wife!

I got rung up by head office one day. They’d noticed how good our Russians were. Guy in charge of such things says to me on phone “we want to offer her a scholarship”. So I get student into my office and offered her an all expenses paid PhD scholarship at Murdoch with very serious folding money, plus a guaranteed job at a big company where the chief met was a Russian lady also.

She said no.

She had the worst case of homesickness I’ve ever seen in my life and just wanted to get back to Moscow and her man. Russians.

91. Never heard of Tsar Bomba– sounds frightening and sinister.

57 megatonnes yield. That was the small version. They left out the outer U238 layer of the final fission stage which would have taken it to 100 megatonnes.
    These things work by using a small fission stage which ignites a fusion package which produces lots of neutrons and other energy. If you wrap U238 around it the neutrons fission large amounts of the U238 releasing far more energy and lots more fission products. Nasty.

92. Easy there, Eyrie tiger-
    you’ll have ASIO shutting down the site because we’re far right neo nayzees discussing how to construct bombs

93. *sigh*

A nominally conservative forum I read has gone full retard. Russia is shooting civilians using the humanitarian corridors! Troops who refuse are executed! They’re recruiting Syrian jihadists to fight in urban areas! Russians are deliberately shelling schools/kindergartens/churches! Chechens are torturing people! They’re burning people alive in mobile crematoriums!

I want off this planet.

94. we’re far right neo nayzees discussing how to construct bombs

I don’t have the twenty or thirty billion dollars we’d need.
    Maybe we could start a GoFundMe.

95. Ukraine’s videos of crying Russian prisoners could violate the Geneva Conventions
    Marta Pascual Juanola
    By Marta Pascual Juanola
    March 7, 2022 — 5.46pm

A young Russian soldier breaks down in tears as his mother pleads with him to come home from the other end of the telephone line. Handcuffed and dressed in his army fatigues, he buries his face in his hands and breaks out in a loud sob.

“I love you too,” he answers with a shaky voice.

The unnamed soldier, who has been captured by Ukrainian forces, then urges his mother to speak to the families of other Russian soldiers, warning that “no one will get a death note” from Russian authorities if their sons are killed.

“Those f—ers are not taking away the bodies. They are killing the wounded,” he says. “I don’t know if they will be swapping prisoners of war.”

The footage is one of more than a dozen clips of captured Russian servicemen released by Ukraine authorities over the past week.

The videos often show handcuffed soldiers sitting on a chair in a nondescript room. Some show signs of serious injury, their heads bruised and patched up with bloody bandages. Others are dressed in civilian clothes and look unharmed.

In some clips, Ukrainian troops can be heard questioning the soldiers, who decry the atrocities committed on the front line of the war. But more often than not, the prisoners are filmed breaking down as they speak to their loved ones over the phone.

The soldiers are rarely identified and the footage, as well as the circumstances of the men’s arrest, are nearly impossible to verify independently.

Ukraine is using the blizzard of videos of confessions and emotional pleas for forgiveness to drum up support in their online campaign against Russia. Law enforcement authorities say the footage is a record of Russia’s brutal military campaign in Ukraine and are using it to back up their claims Putin is committing war crimes.

But the videos raise questions about whether Ukraine could be violating the Geneva Conventions, which set out the legal standards for humanitarian treatment in war, including the rights of wartime prisoners.

A captured Russian soldier is allowed to phone is mother, in this video from the Ukraine Security Service.

Article 13 of the treaties states: “Prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity”. According to the International Committee of the Red Cross, this includes circulating images on social media.

The issue was brought to the fore last Tuesday AEDT when Ukrainian authorities paraded three battered Russian prisoners in front of TV cameras during a press conference organised by news agency Unian in Kyiv. It is unclear when the men were captured, but footage of two of the soldiers being interrogated in front of a Ukrainian flag emerged online as early as February 28.

Sporting a bruised face, two missing teeth, and an unkempt beard, a prisoner identified as Dmitri Astakhov told reporters he was ashamed of Russia’s actions and apologised to Ukrainians for bringing “sorrow to this land”.

During the ten-minute soliloquy, Astakhov said the Russians had been “brainwashed” by authorities and the media and urged his fellow servicemen to put down their arms.

“I’m begging you, stop before it’s too late,” he said.

Astakhov also pleaded with the Ukrainian forces to spare the lives of those surrendering, so they could return to their homeland and spread the word about the atrocities committed in Ukraine.

It is unclear whether Astakhov or any of the prisoners were under duress when they were filmed. Astakhov addressed the issue at one point during his speech by saying he was being “frank” in his remarks.

“For those who watch this video: you might think about me whatever you want. That I was forced, intimidated or the text was prepared in advance,” he said.

“I’ll give it to you straight: If someone came to my territory I would do the same these people did, and I would be right. And they are right, while I have to sit here and offer excuses.”

The videos are likely to be perceived as a provocation and an attempt to humiliate the soldiers by Russia, whose online propaganda campaign is proving to be far less successful around the world than Ukraine’s

Any of the bush lawyers here care to comment?

96. Jorge says:
    March 7, 2022 at 8:02 pm

Countless times over the years my wife has been asked ‘where are you from?’ and until recently, she has happily obliged and her answer has been greeted with genuine interest. It seems that a number of people haven’t actually met a Russian or at least, don’t know much about the country.

That has changed in the past few days. Now, she seems expected to flail about and apologise for the actions of the President. But back up a minute – my wife has been a resident of Australia for over 20 years. She is a citizen, a wife, mother of three and a taxpayer who has never broken the law (excepting a low grade speeding fine). Yet, the Russia/Ukraine war is her fault or she is somehow complicit because she was born there? She deserves contempt?

Fvck that. If anything, I can see it has hardened her attitude and God help the next person who decides she deserves scorn because of her birthplace.

97. Rumor is Azov bridge have rigged a Nuke reactor to blow if Ukraine lose the war.

Also ebola and anthrax from all the secret US labs in the country.
    Russian news sources for both these stories today.
    It’s fun to see all this hyperbowl.

Ukrainians aren’t any better. Tokyo Rose would blush.

98. Yet, the Russia/Ukraine war is her fault or she is somehow complicit because she was born there? She deserves contempt?

there really are some spiteful cretins out there

99. Razeysays:

March 7, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Boambee Johnsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:28 pm

The Army went woke years ago.

Bullshit Razey-San.
    Woke my arse.
    This has more to do with (alleged) Alphas getting all antsy about who got the biggest bit of tin.
    None of them have come out of this looking like men.
    Including BRS.

100. Ukraine’s videos of crying Russian prisoners could violate the Geneva Conventions

There will be many horrors no one is seeing. Neither side is especially enamored of the Geneva Convention and they really really hate each other. The eastern front areas are probably very bloody right now, but there’re no journos on the ground and neither side wants to upload vids of what they’re doing.

101. Maybe I am wrong—tragically wrong—but I cannot dismiss the suspicion that we are witnessing an elaborate charade, grossly magnified by prominent elements of the American media, to serve a domestic political end. Facing rising inflation, the ravages of Omicron, blame (for the most part unfair) for the withdrawal from Afghanistan, plus the failure to get the full support of his own party for the Build Back Better legislation, the Biden administration is staggering under sagging approval ratings just as it gears up for this year’s congressional elections.

no. no. I don’t think you are wrong at all.

102. Bruce of Newcastlesays:
    March 7, 2022 at 8:30 pm

There’s a video of a MMA fighter being tortured because he’s done a training camp in Russia in the past. So I don’t know about it being particularly hidden.

103. miltonfsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:51 pm
    Never heard of Tsar Bomba– sounds frightening and sinister. The things you learn here.

104. Dr. John Campbell may be a bit late arriving at the party, but he is there now.

Campbell has always been a bit too keen to advocate the ‘lockdowns, masks, distancing, vax to protect the vunribble’ … but to give him his due, he has been onto Vitamins I and D for quite a while

105. Bruce of Newcastlesays:
    March 7, 2022 at 7:55 pm
    Never heard of Tsar Bomba– sounds frightening and sinister.

There’s a video. The plane dropping the bomb barely survived it.

A Tu-16 Badger was shown taking off, the next sequence showed a Bear. There might have been a bit of editing!

106. Test of a giant Soviet nuclear weapon in the 1950s. Exploded over Novaya Zemlya, with an estimated yield of 75 Megatons.

Great Gooooglin’ SpongeBob, tell us again how you took Homer to the woodshed?

107. Indolentsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 5:56 pm

Ridiculous. As long as they are insurable, who cares.

Thats the point – they cry ‘couldnt get insurance’ and Scomo rolls out another ‘flood levy’

108. Bluey – It isn’t entirely horrific, there was a story that a prisoner swap took place in the NE sector. Five Ukr soldier types for one Russian officer. I hope that sort of thing continues, since it’s an incentive for them to be reasonably decent to prisoners.

109. I’m thinking that it’s the result of sending SASR/Commando’s to do repeated tours, to do a job that any rifle battalion could have done.

110. “WTF people! Don’t be so fvcking rude. Asking a complete stranger their original birth place (because you know they sound ‘eastern European’). And then following that with a turned up nose ‘cos you don’t like the answer.

My wife is showing great restraint but that dam will burst sooner or later.”

I hope the dam bursts big time. In an earlier post today I mentioned similar things happening during World War I and World War II. Germans, many of whom had lived in Britain, Australia and the US for generations, were singled out for physical and verbal abuse, their businesses targeted and many lost their livelihoods. Many families with German surnames changed their names so to avoid abuse and censure. It was disgraceful and I can’t believe such xenophobia is happening again.

I hope your wife stays strong. She’s Russian and she should be proud of it. Russia has gifted you a wife and gifted to the world the following….

Pushkin
    Akhmatova
    Tchaikovsky
    Rachmaninoff
    Stravinsky
    Prokofiev
    Shostakovich

and hundreds more. The above is just a smidgen of what Russia has gifted to the world.

111. A Tu-16 Badger was shown taking off, the next sequence showed a Bear.

Was the first short vid I could find from a reasonable source. My comment that the plane only just survived is from memory. Here’s what the wiki says:

“The bomb, weighing 27 tonnes (30 short tons), was so large (8 m (26 ft) long by 2.1 m (6 ft 11 in) in diameter) that the Tu-95V had to have its bomb bay doors and fuselage fuel tanks removed.[2][44] The bomb was attached to an 800-kilogram (1,800 lb), 1,600-square-metre (17,000 sq ft) parachute, which gave the release and observer planes time to fly about 45 km (28 mi) away from ground zero, giving them a 50 percent chance of survival.”

Yikes. The wiki goes on to say if the third stage had been added the drop aircraft chance of survival was zero point zero.

112. Bruce, I’ve seen some claims that the Russian negotiators are trying to get Macron to guarantee the humanitarian corridors, with exits toward both sides. The allegation is the Ukrainians keep scuttling it.

Hard to find much concrete about anything though I do think the Russians are trying to use as soft a touch as they can.

113. Dickless Ed

Great Gooooglin’ SpongeBob, tell us again how you took Homer to the woodshed?

Nah, I don’t go the woodshed with strange blokes, I don’t share your fascination with flaming.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

PS, no need to Google for things I have known about for decades.

114. Quite … Special forces are for Special Ops, NOT routine grunt work – they are too valuable to burn out doing 5 tours of that.

I’ve heard of soldiers with eight to ten tours of the place.

115. flyingduksays:
    March 7, 2022 at 8:44 pm

Eleven bats was a good read for insight into that.

116. Cassie

117. dover0beachsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 8:54 pm
    Gas and oil going through the roof.

Once we hit $3/L everyone will be working from home again. Wonder how Dictator Dan’s vax’d economy is going hahahah. Suck shit Dan.

118. Bruce, I’ve seen some claims that the Russian negotiators are trying to get Macron to guarantee the humanitarian corridors, with exits toward both sides. The allegation is the Ukrainians keep scuttling it.

The Ukrainian sources say the Russians keep scuttling it, and the Russian sources say the Ukrainians keep scuttling it. I’ve been reading both. The attempted evacuation of civs from Mariupol just didn’t happen. Ceasefire lasted minutes, if at all. I have no idea which side was at fault, or both.

119. Looks like Samizdata and Sarah Hoyt have picked sides, shame.

Yeah, people I thought were smarter have been shown to be dumb and susceptible to propaganda. Glenn Reynolds also.

120. I guess Putin will nuke HMAS Stirling so I should be OK. I live North of the River, or, ass my Nedland’s mate would say, the moronosphere.

121. My uncle flew with Bomber Command under his real name Schmidt. One of his cousins Anglicised his name to Smith, joined the AIF, and ended up in Changi.

The patriarch of one of the Italian families in this part of the world was interned as an enemy alien during World War Two. Two of his sons served in the AIF.

122. Zelenskyy is an American Puppet currently hiding out at the Embassy in Poland.
    Nazis have been active in Ukraine for 80 years.
    So, there’s no connection between the 2.

123. Boambee Johnsays:
    March 7, 2022 at 6:28 pm

The Army went woke years ago.

I’m baffled by the whole thing. Surely there were officers in charge of these enlisted ranks when the alleged atrocities took place?

5 years ago if a young man or woman wanted advice to join the Australian Armed Forces I would of highly recommended it. Whilst young and single it is a great lifestyle and you can get good skills for post uniform life.

Now I wouldn’t because the leadership at the highest levels does not have you back. Monash would be turning in his grave.

124. Had a look at Lismore on Google Earth earlier this evening. There’s plenty of high ground and ridgelines around but they built the town in the lowest areas around the river. DO NOT REBUILD THERE.
    Also heard this afternoon that all the aircraft and hangars went underwater at the airfield. Some found 5km away.
    No insurance as can’t get cover for flooding there.

125. first I have heard of this crack-up boom

Crack-Up Boom All But Certain Now.
    Today we will look at Human Action and reference what Ludwig von Mises says about the Crack-Up Boom or the final collapse of the currency.

We think the current Ukraine crisis is not the cause of the Crack-Up Boom but has only served to accelerate a process that has been seeded as far back as 1971.

Human Action by Ludwig von Mises – free pdf: https://mises.org/library/human-action-0

126. There’s a lot of concern around the traps about the wheat price issue. Especially in MENA, where it is a staple. Egypt especially must be in a serious bind. I’ve seen several articles today likening this to the Arab Spring period: the people get understandably excitable when they can’t afford bread.

What I haven’t seen anywhere is any comment that nearly half the US maize crop goes into car fuel tanks as ethanol. Of course there’re a number of reasons why the MSM might not be interested in that issue.

127. I knew a Dunera boy, he died a few years ago. Being Jewish he fled Austria after the Anschluss and was lucky to get to the UK in 1939. He was one of thousands of Jews and political refugees who fled Germany and Austria and managed to get to the UK. But upon war being declared in 1939, they were targeted as “Germans”….rounded up and interred, along with Italian fascists and German Nazis.

“As a wave of fear over a German invasion gripped the nation at the start of World War II, thousands of foreign nationals were kicked out over fears that they might be enemy spies.

They were put on the ship HMT Dunera, which had a capacity of 1,600 including the crew. It set sail from Liverpool 70 years ago on 10 July 1940, without the passengers – later known as the Dunera Boys – knowing where they were going.

The vessel was crammed with some 2,000 mostly Jewish refugees, aged 16 to 60. Alongside them were genuine prisoners of war, 200 Italian fascists and 251 German Nazis, meaning the ship was hugely overcrowded.

After a 57-day journey in appalling conditions, during which the ship was hit by a torpedo, the internees’ eventual arrival is regarded as one of the greatest influxes of academic and artistic talent to have entered Australia on a single vessel.”

I remember asking him what the voyage was like….he told me it was abysmal, the conditions were shocking, but nothing prepared him for for the internment camp at Hay here in NSW…the heat and the flies were overwhelming. But upon release, when he was conscripted into the Australian army, he fell in love with Australia and Australians (and married one).

128. Has any officer in the SAS or other services been held to have responsibility for what occured? Has the question ever been asked?

Andrew Hastie is supposed to be giving evidence for the defence.

129. Any of the bush lawyers here care to comment?

To make a Russian soldier cry for a propaganda piece there has clearly been some horrific shit done.

130. BBS wouldn’t have a day at all

Calli, I’m away at the minute so as long as it’s worked out before I return, I should survive.

And on the choice of site- no votes for the SFLs ‘round here now they’ve turned their backs on coal with the nett zero emissions Glasgow bull dust.

Port Kembla seems to be getting the (early) nod and has an advantage; all of course on the pros and cons. But do I detect from stage right a Govt shepherd’s crook searching out the Seat of Gilmore?

Well, there can’t be any takers for Brisbane, given its moveable and erratic high water mark.

131. The fact the Brisbane and Newcastle are on shows just how seriously this exercise is being taken, ie not at all

What are your alternatives?

132. Uh oh, flanneries are arriving at the Cafe with much thunder. I hope the brushtails got away, they were here about 20 min ago. Mum had her slice of bread and her carrot, young lady got a large piece of carrot. She wasn’t as ansty as yesterday, when she was out on her own for the first time (I bled a small amount, but not too much).

Cafe news is that one of the young grey butcherbirds yesterday accepted food from hand for the first time, and was getting pretty acclimatized with it today. I think he’s a male, he follows dad around but is otherwise independent.

133. Also heard this afternoon that all the aircraft and hangars went underwater at the airfield.

Was talking to a bloke who upgraded the fuel installation there. The porta office was a metre off the ground and was chained down to anchor blocks. Gone, the anchor blocks just pulled out of the ground.

134. I’m thinking that it’s the result of sending SASR/Commando’s to do repeated tours, to do a job that any rifle battalion could have done.

I was talking with a nursey type about a year back. She was saying her hubby was in the process of resigning from the ARA (specifically 5RAR) after his most recent deployment to the ME.

Apparently quite of few of his mates are doing the same, because although they go over there they are ‘not allowed’ to do the work that grunts train their guts out for, and that they are supposed to do.

That is, fighting patrols. This chick said they were being farmed out time and again to either the SF blokes or the ones supposed to be doing long-range recon.

Big if true. I have no idea whether the discharge numbers reflect it. What I do know is my young bloke will turn 18 in September and is extremely keen to join the Army.

Which he isn’t going to do until he gets Year 12 under his belt. Looks like that’s my last mandated, non-negotiable position.

135. Has any officer in the SAS or other services been held to have responsibility for what occured? Has the question ever been asked?

You’re asking the wrong question.
    The question you might ask is:

Why has the Army been attempting to cover this up for 12 years.

Bottom line:
    They’ve got form for doing it too.

136. Has any officer in the SAS or other services been held to have responsibility for what occured? Has the question ever been asked?

Not that I’m aware and, correct me if I’m wrong, command was ensconced in Dubai iirc.

But yeah I thought the officers, the ‘gentlemen’, were meant to be ultimately responsible.

137. The fact the Brisbane and Newcastle are on shows just how seriously this exercise is being taken, ie not at all

What are your alternatives?

Jervis Bay looks better to me. No inconvenient coal ships or greenies. Might need dredging of the main channel.

138. The NT News:

A MAN is fighting for his life in hospital after being thrown to the ground and attacked by a caravan of camels while holidaying with his sister and six-year-old nephew at Uluru.

If a camel spits on you, don’t spit back.

Follow me for more life hacks.

139. Don’t join the Army, because if one of their pets gets in strife, they’ll throw you under the bus and leave you for dead to save him.

Many books written about the Voyager Affair.
    Do yourself a favor …

Grogs, you do know the difference the Army and the Navy?

140. Perth fits the bill and I once was told served that role in the cold war. I don’t know what the Russian equivalent was.

Maybe Yakutsk in Siberia, although it’s a difficult comparison given that Yakutsk is miles better because it doesn’t have McClown.

141. What I do know is my young bloke will turn 18 in September and is extremely keen to join the Army.

We need guys like that. So long as he can distinguish the crap from the important stuff, which I am confident young Mr Dragger will know after years of preparation.

142. Ed Casesays:
    March 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm
    Many books written about the Voyager Affair.
    Do yourself a favor …

Do yourself a favour, and actually read more than the publisher’s blurb on the dust cover.

143. Had a look at Lismore on Google Earth earlier this evening. There’s plenty of high ground and ridgelines around but they built the town in the lowest areas around the river.

Much like Toowoomba, Eyrie, though the latter is nowhere near as prone to flooding as Lismore.

Odds on the local indigenous folk advised settlers re flooding but were ignored because the settlers were unfamiliar with sub-tropical rain patterns and wanted to be handy to the fresh water supply.

144. Bruce of N

No inconvenient coal ships or greenies.

No coal ships, but lots of Slime. And they already had a practice run in the early 1990s, when it was proposed to move Fleet Base East there. Dust off the old propaganda, change the dates, and they will be back screeching fit to be heard on Mars.

145. Well said Bear Necessities.
    Would I put my kids with any of these egotistical dickheads?
    The one thing I would expect from that life was discipline.
    A deep seated self-discipline.
    It is apparent that the players in this pathetic drama have none of that, but seemed to be very good at demanding it of others.

146. you do know the difference the Army and the Navy?

147. Zipstersays:
    March 7, 2022 at 9:23 pm
    Mark Steyn gives his view that we are experiencing a ‘Western apocalypse’

The simple fact is that the people living in the West failed the test.

– We didn’t reject the degeneracy of the LGBT movement
    – We didn’t reject the constant lies spewed from all governments
    – We didn’t hold the media accountable
    – We didn’t even stand up for the right to refuse forced government medical procedures

While some of us stood against all this, we were too few.

Reap the whirlwind.

148. US-Poland actively working on a deal to supply fighter jets to Ukraine amid Russian invasion | WION

News this morning is that Poland has nixed that idea.
    Russian Minister said that would be interpreted as a hostile act.

149. I know that the Government didn’t waste time with a Conscription Referendum in WW2, that how bad a reputation the Army and Navy had for incompetence in WW1.

Relevance?

150. More rain in Sydney…for weeks it has rained and rained and rained. Everything is wet and damp, nothing dries. I’m beginning to understand how Noah felt.

151. miltonf says:
    March 7, 2022 at 4:43 pm

I see it’s time to signal virtue again.

Tell each other how disgusted you all are in those currently slotted for their 3 minutes of hate.
    Evil bad racists.
    Picking on others because of where they were born, is no longer fashionable.

Yeah, that’s how everyone will know how good you all are.
    Still, that’s today.

Not so not long ago, when Dot wrote off East Europeans as paedophiles and Cassie wrote off Ukrainians as Anti-Semites, racially vilifying whole Nations just so they could ‘excuse themselves’ racially vilifying someone they couldn’t beat with facts.

Ah but that was fine, cheered on by fellow cats.

Now cats keep pretending it didn’t happen, and so what if it did?
    The cool cats can say & do whatever hypocritical backflips they want.

This chap has them pegged – much lower than contemptable tenth rate trash & cowardly bullies –

3 very important minutes of Gonzalo Lira