2,036 thoughts on “Open Thread – Weekend 28 May 2022”

1. I hold no preferences, because I put an ‘e’ on the end of the pig’s sty, and thus I am very bad as pulled up by Dr. BG and enthused over by eight upticks, for with an ‘e’ the sty has to be a stye in the eye, which I used to get quite a lot as a child. That sort of stye is usually due to Staphylococcus Aureus aka Golden Staph, which was around a lot in my pre-antibiotic childhood. The word ‘sty’ however, Dr. BG, may I assure you, can stand alone, or it can combine into pigsty, a noun in itself, which usage I am happy to follow as you direct. As you can see above though, I have used it separately with the pig being in possession as demonstrated by the apostrophe.

Our particular sty, called The Sty in brochures and on the gate, is supremely comfortable and elegant, with classic rural views, but a century ago it certainly housed many pigs. Today it even has underfloor heating, an idea pinched from the Romans two millennia ago around here.

Speaking of whom, we saw the Roman exhibit in the York Minster today. In the 1980’s when the main tower started to give way once again at the base (which it had done a lot in the past) they went for broke in fixing it for once and for all, digging into the foundations and discovering that the fourth main column of the square tower was the only one not built on the foundations of York’s major Roman fort, thus causing a wobble, like a chair with a bad leg. A lot of digging and many tons of concrete stabilised the tower. A happy side-effect was a lot of Roman archaeology being revealed which now forms an underground museum, open to all who pay the twelve pounds entrance to the Cathedral. You also get a free tour given by a very amusing and knowlegeable chap, and free entrance to this museum, as well as being able to admire the best collection of medieval stained glass-in-situ to be found in Europe. York has been an archbishopric (of sorts) since the earliest days of the Roman Christian revival in Britain, a rival to Augustine’s seat at Canterbury. This heritage shows in the way later generations viewed this town, so significant to Rome and to Christianity. Various conquerers and kings have held parliaments here.

Constantine the Great was proclaimed here in York by his troops on this very spot following the death of his father the General Constantius Chlorus, says the museum, and I am suitably impressed, standing there somewhat footsore myself from trooping around just as those soliders in their hard leather sandals must have been. For Christianity, the rest was to follow – first the Edict of Toleration, and then Constantine’s deathbed baptism, sealing the deal between the Christian Church and the Imperial Roman State that was fully charged by 381AD under the reign of Theodosius 1. Gibbon blamed this linkage for the fall of Rome, but that was hardly fair; so much else was also happening by then.

I wasn’t sure the Hairy would enjoy the guided tour when I suggested it, but in the event he did enjoy it, for the excellent commentary and also because he felt it was so good to be amongst a group of international travellers again – people from Chile, the US, Africa, Singapore and the Philippines as well as some Brits and us from Oz. People are on the move all over the world again. Bravo.

2. Thanks Tom. Always enjoy the toons and when I first joined the Cat it was through you found the Week in Pictures.

Other thanks to the travellers who post. Most recently Rosie, Liz and Calli on their adventures in Europe, UK and around Oz. Keep it up as it adds to the variety of the blog.

Have enjoyed the recent political commentary and diversity of opinions and thanks to our host for making it possible.

Now back to bed for a few more hours sleep.

3. Biden’s Department of Homeland Security Announces It Will Not Conduct Immigration Enforcement in Uvalde, Texas at this Time After Mass Shooting.
    Surely this becomes an impeachable offence for the Democrats?

4. One of the weirdest things happened to me today, which makes me now 99.9899% certain we’re living in a simulation.

I had an issue with the Apple TV remote and was messing around with it for a while as the Apple one wouldn’t work but the LG one did. Eventually, I realized the issue was that the remote needed recharging. Anyway, I began to mess around the various channels and ended up on HBOmax. We were about the go out but our kid was getting ready so I started a doco about Woody Allen’s family making accusations against him.
    We were about 15 minutes in and I turned off the tv.

The three of us were walking down Park Ave talking about the show. Our kid spots Woody Allen on the sidewalk walking the opposite way. I look at him and he looks back at me while continuing to walk the other way. He’s an old little runt.

5. There are three possible explanations–cowardice, incompetence or slaves to doctrine. In an ideal world, police confronted with an active shooter will call immediately on a SWAT team. There was no SWAT team in Uvalde, Texas. Instead of improvising and conducting their own assault, the police chose to sit back and wait.

6. Gibbon blamed this linkage for the fall of Rome, but that was hardly fair; so much else was also happening by then.

It meant the prophesy was true; one wonders the extent to which it was self-fulfilling.

7. Woody Allen was creepy all his life.
    There is something about him.

8. Irish stew in the name of the law.

Jubilee scandal: Royal Military Police arrest six Irish guards days before Queen’s parade (27 May)

ROYAL MILITARY POLICE have arrested six Irish guards days ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations next week.

Those arrested were accused of alleged conspiring to supply drugs, as well lending money and other laundering offences.

Those bear fur hats are quite capacious, and not the sort of place you’d usually check for interesting chemicals.

9. Hey JC was Woody thinking the same thing. Another thing, about the energiser cars, I saw an S Tesla, one of the locals traded his 3 Tesla. They are quite nice looking, not like the 3 series.

10. There are three possible explanations–cowardice, incompetence or slaves to doctrine

You missed the most likely:
    it was a simulation staged for political purposes by the FBI.
    The cops were just following orders in blocking access to the “scene”.

While this is the most sinister explanation, at least it doesn’t require dead children.

11. Lizzie
    Loved to read your description of the ruins of the York tower. Made me very nostalgic for travel – but particularly travel visiting archaeological sites. My dear husband has always been so patient with my obsession & we have seen many significant sites. I doubt if we will see many, if any, in the future. For so many reasons – but particularly the imminent eruption in Europe.

This is very emotional for me this morning. Yesterday I attended a Requiem Mass for an old school friend who became quite a celebrated Chronicler of politics in Canberra &. Menzies expert. Many Lib heavies were there, including the old man himself (not Menzies!) who knew how to defeat Labor.
    But the wonder for me was the appearance of our old Ancient History teacher . Blow me down – he would be 85 but didn’t look like a day over 65! A schoolmate who was also taught, like me and the deceased, by this teacher was there – he is now a Professor of Ancient History.

The Requiem Mass must have been two hours long. All solemn ritual, & very beautiful – except for the suffocating incense.As usual, the final music from Elgar had me sobbing. I remarked to my old teacher & old school friend how beautiful the ritual was in an age of Profanity. They looked at me in astonishment, for they are unbelievers and Greens to boot.

I wake up this morning longing to return to my valley.

12. ABC was declaring the Tasmanian seat of Lyons a hold for Labor MP Brian Mitchell.

Also at that link, the figures for Gilmore [Andrew Constance 286 votes ahead of the Labor Member] have been unchanged since Tuesday.
    Now 250 votes ahead
    Labor is battling to get to 76 Seats, would the AEC put a finger on the scales?
    Or does that only occur in U.S. Elections?

13. Australia is now in the hands of the inner city elites, don’t know how it can be reversed, too many people clustered in the main cities outnumber and outvote the rest of us. Tim Quilty’s plan for a new state is a start but we need more states with distributed populations. The uniparty will never let it happen if they can help it.

14. So the plan for Sri Lankan illegal immigrants now is to arrive on our shores, get knocked up immediately and then go to Biloela.

ALP already unlocking the door.

15. Looking at the non Liberal Tasmanian Seats, Labor only managed 29% of the vote in Lyons, the Greens 11%, Lambie Network 10%.
    Franklin is their best Seat in Tasmania, they get 36% and the Greens get them over the line.
    In Wilkie’s Seat of Clark, the figure is only 18%, Wilkie got an absolute Majority in 2019, dropped 4% this time.
    The 5 Tasmanian Seats used to go to Labor when they won Government,
    I’d say the Labor Party is in a lot of trouble on the Right from The Greens and they’ve gotta keep feeding Lambie too.

16. I think I get a lot of disagreement and opposition from people who have too much trust in their fellow man, espcially leftists, and what they are truly out to achieve and what they are capable of.

Many of you know that I led a convoy that taught me a great deal about just how bad the media are, and have spent much of my life travelling Australia for work and have much to do with aboriginal communities and know first hand just what lefties will do to aboriginal people for their own sick reasons.

So when I say this next thing, people will call me a conspiracy theorist, and yes I could be wrong BUT

My take on the shootings in Texas.

The left are at war with the west.
    Full stop.
    No ifs and no buts.
    They are at war with the west and the western white people that created it.
    And western white people did create it.

When you are at war with these people you attempt to take down their defences, to disarm them.

People dying, children and women are just collateral damage all sacrificed for the greater good.
    Some lefties believe that what has to be done must be done to save the planet…….their superiors are power and money hungry , godless evil.

If they need to incite another school shooting to get the guns from the citizens they will do it.
    And the police will be ordered to stay put.

And the MSM will then do their jobs.

Nothing in this world has changed.

He who has the guns has the power.
    None of their new tech control methods they plan to introduce can work without a disarmed citizenry.
    That’s why I have alway said that the fight against the globalist Communists (for that is what they are at the WEF) will be fought in the USA.
    And all we can hope for now is the brave there to come forward, the Trumps etc to stand up and face this age old evil again.

If you think the left would not incite a school shooting you do not know them.
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, I have witnessed it for myself.
    Some of you also have if you are honest.

The control they have over aboriginal communities is all encompassing and complete and the most disgusting, miserable, violent, disease ridden shitholes on this planet.
    These people are kept this way to further the power grab of the left.
    Human life is of no concern and in many cases , it’s despised and loathed.

It is there only to be used.

Do you really scoff when I say they’d be inciting massacres right now?
    I’m sure you will.
    And that’s why they are winning.

17. Looking at the closest three remaining Gilmore, Lyons and Deakin I noticed Gilmore had 127,000 eligible voters, Deakin 112,000 and Lyons 85,000.
    Seems a little uneven to me.

18. From The Oz….more election wrap up….from Sydney’s Northern Beaches.

Election 2022: Change agents at teal heart not all ex-Liberals

Of the dozens of suburbs that turned teal last Saturday, turfing six Liberal moderates out of parliament and contributing to the downfall of the Morrison government, beachside Avalon on Sydney’s northern beaches was the tealest of them all.

But electoral analysis by The Weekend Australian has disproved the widespread belief that all of the new ­Climate 200-backed independents picked up the ­majority of their votes from dis­affected Liberal ­voters.

In the Melbourne seat of Kooyong, the swing against Josh Frydenberg was smaller than the swings against each of the Labor and Greens candidates, while in another three teal victory seats, the swing against the sitting Liberal was smaller than the combined swing against Labor, the Greens and all other candidates.

Nationwide, voters at 12 booths in three different seats were so ­attracted to the teal option, the majority gave the independent their first ­preference.

In the quiet enclave of the sunburnt and the wealthy that is Sydney’s northern peninsula, four polling booths in Jason Falinski’s seat of Mackellar reported more than 50 per cent first preference votes for Sophie Scamps.

Avalon South recorded 56.3 per cent, the highest teal independent primary vote of any large booth in the country, followed by Avalon Beach (55.4 per cent), Bilgola Plateau (53.1 per cent) and Avalon (52.4 per cent).

Former state independent upper house member for Pittwater Alex McTaggart said Avalon was a wealthy, well-educated community that prioritised climate as a key issue. “Avalon’s right on the coast and the average young person here is involved in the surf or the surf club,” Mr McTaggart said.

“They see the effects of climate on the coast.”

Mr McTaggart said a federal anti-corruption commission and health – the nearest hospital is 22km away – were other issues on which Dr Scamps successfully campaigned.

Most of the teal independents picked up many of their votes from Labor or Greens voters. In Kooyong, the former Liberal treasurer’s primary vote fell by 6.3 per cent while Labor lost 11.1 per cent and the Greens 15 per cent.

In nearby Goldstein, where ­former ABC journalist Zoe Daniel overcame Tim Wilson, the swing against Labor almost hit 18 per cent, compared with the ousted Liberal MP’s 11.7 per cent.

The vote pattern was different in North Sydney, where Liberal MP Trent Zimmerman suffered a primary vote fall of 13.7 per cent, much larger than Labor’s 3.6 per cent and the Greens’ 5.7 per cent. And in Wentworth, teal victor Allegra Spender’s 38.8 per cent primary vote drew largely on the vote former independent Kerryn Phelps won in 2019 and Liberal MP Dave Sharma’s support. Labor and Greens votes held steady.

Redbridge executive director Kos Samaras, whose polling company undertook research for the Climate 200 candidates, said the location of polling booths influenced how the primary vote split. A high proportion of younger voters and renters translated into a stronger turnout for teals.

Four of the top five teal booths in Kooyong weres in Hawthorn, a suburb that mixes wealthy families in $20m mansions and students in rental apartments, while top of the list in North Sydney was Greenwich, another suburb with a high proportion of apartments. And Wentworth’s top booths were in renter-heavy Bondi, Paddington and Bronte

Dr Scamps had a campaign budget of $1.4m, half of which was raised from the community and the other half coming from millionaire climate activist Simon Holmes a Court’s fundraising war chest Climate 200.

Semi-retired teacher John Lettoof, 65, has lived in Avalon for 30 years and said he voted Greens one and Dr Scamps second due to concerns over climate change.

“You can just see it (climate change),” said Mr Lettoof, a keen surfer and fisherman.

“You know I could point behind me right now to the shellfish that are missing off the rocks – the pool is denuded, it‘s not full of life as it normally is.”

Dr Scamps’ campaign was also more youth-friendly, including a free concert on May 1 – called Election Beats – in Avalon’s Dunbar Park headlined by local artists Angus and Julia Stone, Lime Cordiale and comedian Dan Ilic. The event attracted about 1500 people. At the same time, Mr Falinski treated about 250 supporters to sausage rolls and beers at Cromer Golf Club.

The first-world problems of ­Avalon residents were satirised in 2015 in the film Avalon Now, which later became a web series, depicting a couple torn between pairing pinot gris or pinot grigio with barramundi for dinner.

There are many things to ponder here.

1. Falinsky was a dud. A dripping wet dud, one of Photios’ picks. Without a doubt some of the vote against him was a protest vote against his dudness. Falinsky the Dud now has lots of time to work on his much desired republic with his clown friends, Pirate Man and Lord Malcolm the Most Miserable. I’m sure Karma Sharma and Trent Zimmerboy will join him.

2. I’m glad Labor doesn’t require the votes of these Teals in the lower house.

3. The northern beaches is very white and very, very insular. When the boats start to arrive (it’s inevitable) and they’re brought to Oz, it’s time they were settled in places like Mackellar, Warringah, Wentworth, Kooyong and Goldstein. The Northern Beaches…aka…the “Insular Peninsular” desperately requires a good dose of multiculturalism.

4. If I was a hysterical about climate change, I’d also be insistent that that we need to do more. The northern beaches has lots of prime locations for solar farms, particularly along the beachfronts. Whilst the electorate of Warringah has prime locations to erect windmills on the cliffs around Manly, Mackellar can be a hive of solar. And surely, if “semi-retired teacher John Lettoof”, keen surfer and fisherman that he is as well someone who, apparently, is “very concerned about climate change”, then he should be more than happy to dispense with his surfing and fishing and insist that the beaches now be used for solar battery farms….you know, to save the planet.

I know why.

19. Do you really scoff when I say they’d be inciting massacres right now?
    I’m sure you will.
    And that’s why they are winning.

Sancho:
    fuck off

20. Take the spin further.

Who are the picks for Heartless, Brainless and Cowardly?

And who is pulling the levers behind the curtain?

Fortunately Fake Glinda has been rocketed back to Scotland Island.

21. “They see the effects of climate on the coast.”

So do I. A delightful sea breeze most of the time, with the nearby ocean ameliorating heat and cold.

Something poorer, overheated buggers further inland can only wish for.

22. AEC need to clarify turnout is interim until they finish the postal and absent counts.
    No doubt the same thing happens every election until this time, someone, desperate to prove every thing that happens in the US, must also happen here, jumped the gun and started throwing around accusations.

23. We seem to have imported many CCP loyalists. Just what you would expect from Canbra. I’m sure many from Hong Kong, Vietnam and Taiwan would applaud a trough stance against the CCP

24. In the clamour for an Indigenous voice, true suffering is being drowned out Jacinta Nampijinpa Price

10:15PM May 27, 2022

It is hard to hear the softest of voices in a room filled with clamouring chatter. Only in silence can the quiet truly be heard. Thus, the genuine voices of Indigenous suffering are being drowned out by the virtue-signalling calls for a “voice” and “recognition”.

Indigenous recognition has become the latest virtuous fad; where on any given day in our nation you can be confronted with non-Indigenous Australians vying to have their virtues heard when they monotonously and mechanically pay their “respects to elders past, present and emerging”. Simultaneously, Australians with Indigenous heritage purport to be “proud” members of some – or a number of – tribes belonging to the fashionably termed “First Nations”.

Labor prides itself on acknowledgments to “First Nations” Aboriginal Australians and there is nothing more “virtue-signalling” than Anthony Albanese’s self-gratifying act of flanking himself in the parliamentary press room with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags.

There is a stark difference, however, between “big-noting” oneself and actually acknowledging and committing to act on the fact that Indigenous women and children are still being victimised by domestic and family violence and sexual assault at many times the national rate.

What becomes stark is the lack of “recognition” for the reality of the Indigenous voices of victims of violence and sexual abuse, which are blatantly ignored by the virtue signalling class.

There is no mention in the voice to parliament about how we as Indigenous Australians, along with the wider Australian community, are going to confront this reality and start protecting and supporting victims.

There is no mention in the Uluru Statement from the Heart how we as Indigenous Australians are going to confront the crisis of family violence and child sexual abuse.

There is no mention in treaty talks of how Aboriginal Australians are going to work to end violence and sexual abuse in their communities suffering the highest rates of DV and sexual violence.

In all of the fallout from the police shooting death of my nephew in Yuendumu, and the demands of “justice” for his death, there has never been a single demand from my family’s community for justice in response to the countless other homicides, sexual assaults and cases of horrific interpersonal violence caused by those we are related to as kin.

I sat in a courtroom two years ago to support my niece as she and my cousin, her aunty, gave evidence in her case brought against her own father for r0ping and violently abusing her. Aside from my aunt, her aunt, my mother and my father, not once during the trial did our other family members come to her side in support of her as a victim, or to demand justice for the horrifying trauma inflicted on her by her own father. Instead, she and her aunt came under immediate threat for reporting the horror to police.

It was the perpetrator who received and continues to receive support from family. So much so, his brother took it upon himself to attack my cousin, my niece’s aunt, with an axe while she worked at the primary school – simply for supporting her niece to fight for justice.

The attack was witnessed by schoolchildren. If the brother of an accused ropist and abuser took it upon themselves to attack a woman with an axe in a school in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth, it would have made national headlines. The perpetrator would have been called out, marches for women would have taken to the streets of cities and there would have been grand demands to smash the patriarchy.

But unfortunately for my cousin and my niece, they are voiceless Aboriginal women who are easily controlled and abused in communities that are out of sight and out of mind of the “virtue-signalling” class. These attacks cannot be fixed by “Welcome to Country” or elders past, present and emerging. Certainly the elders in my niece’s and cousin’s community did not acknowledge nor demand justice for the crimes committed against them.

My niece has had to flee to another state for fear of further violent reprisals. She has been dispossessed of her community because her own family would side with the perpetrator. Yet no excuse exists for such violence and abuse to be acceptable. Nor does any excuse exist for any person – no matter who they are – to not call out this horror, stand up for victims and let them be heard.

These raw and unpleasant truths must be dragged out of the darkness and into the light so Aboriginal women and girls – Australian citizens like my niece and cousin – might one day have their silenced voices heard.

Yet still atop of the Labor government’s list of priorities for supposed betterment of our first people is recognition, treaty and – most ironically – voice

25. “They see the effects of climate on the coast.”

These people see climate change everywhere.
    They are no different in thought pattern to all other conspiracy theorists, the scary thing is they have political power.

Buy a generator.

26. Cassie of Sydneysays:
    May 28, 2022 at 8:11 am

Thank you Cassie for this excellent summary – if I may include the dudness of Fiona Martin – I am so glad that Labor will not rely on the votes of the performing Teals and the grifting Greens, I am also glad the invisible risable Fiona Martin is no longer my representative – her replacement is a tiny little asian woman Sally Sitou — I will be very interested in reading the inaugural speeches of the Performing Teals to see how far back they have to go to to find a tale of woe, I know Dai Le is a living embodiment of overcoming adversity in her lifetime, as for the rest of the incoming newbies this parliament I sure will have us living in intersting times.

27. The left have been at war with the west since ww2.
    Then since the Frankfurt school.
    They have never rested.
    They fight full of hate and loathing.
    That hate is so overwhelming and drives them, as they know they can’t defeat a healthy western civilisation the old way, with armies.
    That really got up their nose.
    Many years ago, the thing that disgusted the MSM the most when they saw people like me on the stage adressing the punters at the protest, was that it was people like me.
    They spat their venom at these fucking upstarts.
    Who told middle aged white men they they should be heard!?
    The concept that white men, blue collar white men were expecting to be heard, when they had caused all of this terrible western civilisation was beyond the pale…
    It was not what we were saying (well it was but) that we dared have the audacity to say it, after all we should just be apologising prefusely for the mess of western cililisation and remain silent so our multiculti betters can fix the mess with a good bought of communism.

These are the people that told you to be scared of a cold virus.
    They are at war with you.
    The are not stupid (in the sense that you think they are), they are brainwashed by communists in university and they are at war with you.
    And killing you, you disgusting white trash, is a net good for the world.
    Especially if you are a right wing male.
    They want you disarmed and then removed from the surface of the earth, or at the very least, silenced, shamed and enslaved.

And I will be called a conspiracy theorist for saying so.
    That’s why I’d never let these types jab me in a month of Sundays.

You’d better stop this denialism and wake up to the mental sickness, to the true evil at war with you, or you’ll be doing insane things like taking boosters from these people.

28. 5. Why do I think that Mr Lettoof and others living on the “Insular Peninsular” are hypocrites? Why do I think it’s all about virtue signalling and not about action?

How does one Virtue Signal with a Secret Ballot.
    Whether Climate Change is real or not [it’s not], the reality is that
    Australia has signed up to various International Agreements.
    Reneging on International Agreements means Sanctions, means we get the South Africa treatment.
    Walking away from International Agreements means we get Sanctions and the South Africa treatment.

There were 2 Options at this Election:
    The Coalition would finesse NetZero to 26 million people’s advantage, the ALP would follow NetZero to the letter, to 26 million people’s great disadvantage.
    Then Senator Canavan and Colon Boyce popped up and declared NetZero dead.
    That was 2022’s Bob Brown Convoy moment.
    Yeah, it mighta got Colon up in Flynn, but it took plenty of Liberals down in the Cities.

29. Having a look at Dover’s painting, unlike some here I didn’t do a lot of travelling but the absolute highlight was a visit to Monet’s garden in late summer. A mate’s wife got sick of me hanging around their kitchen in Battersea and stuck me on the Eurostar for 3 days in Paris. I headed off from Gard du Nord and beat the Japanese and the hordes. Clearly most of the flowers were past their peak but most still had blooms. After a few hours I walked back into the village for duck confit and salad sitting in the sun. A perfect day.

30. The left have been at war with the west since ww2.

The Right have been at war with the West since WW2. That’s why America brought all the Nazi scientists to the United States.
    Ever heard of Werner von Braun, Sancho?
    Course you have.

Then since the Frankfurt school.

The Frankfurt School was a Twenties Fake Left Wing Push, they became the NeoCons in 1951.

31. Ms Liu said she understood the negative sentiments of the community when they heard their country of origin that they still felt affection for being constantly targeted by the Australian government

32. but the absolute highlight was a visit to Monet’s garden in late summer.

Mme Zulu and I shared Monet’s garden with half a dozen – armed – French Marine paratroopers…

33. From “The Age.”

Greens have mandate to stop new oil and gas projects: Bandt tells Labor
    Latika Bourke

OTH
    76 seats needed for a majority
    Still to call
    77.96%
    counted
    Updated May 28, 2022, 8.38am

The Greens look set to quadruple their lower house representation by robbing the LNP of their Queensland seats of Brisbane and Ryan and booting Labor frontbencher Terri Butler from the seat of Griffith.

Labor remains one seat shy of securing a 76th seat that it needs to govern in majority and the Greens are expected to hold 12 seats in the Senate, most likely giving the party the balance of power.

This means that wherever Labor failed to secure the support of the opposition – set to be led by Peter Dutton – the government would need the votes of the crossbench to pass laws, making them kingmakers capable of blocking or passing key legislation in the Senate.

Bandt told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age that the Greens wanted to be constructive at the outset, but the parties that stood for more coal and gas had to recognise that their votes went backwards.

“Labor may squeak through a majority in the lower house, we’ll see,” he said.

“Less than one in three people voted for them, they’ve got to accept the reality of that, they’re in government but the Greens and the independents, whose presence in parliament went up, were demanding more ambitious climate action and at some point Labor has to recognise that that’s what people want.

“Our preference is for a cooperative government, but we’re not there to rubber stamp, so they can’t take our votes in the Senate for granted … our clear, strong preference is to have a productive relationship.

34. ” if I may include the dudness of Fiona Martin”

Tinta….absolutely. My sister lives in the same electorate as you do, Reid. Martin needed voters like you and my sister but she was soooooooo execrable that my sister voted UAP and put Martin second last (The Greens were last).

For me personally, the only loss is Josh. Fiona “call the police” Martin, Katie Allen (for a doctor she is), Dave Karma Sharma, Trent Zimmerboy, Jason Foolinksi…..all gone and good riddance. It was the likes of them who damaged the Liberal brand. They crossed the floor (except Foolinski)….and the people repaid in kind.

I was thinking about the execrable Katie Allen this week. Whenever she appeared on Kenny, she’d be sitting in front of a bookcase (as everyone usually does) and she’d invariably have the following books behind her as a pointer to what she’d read or was reading….so I would usually spy books such as “Dreams from My Father” and “Becoming Michelle”.

What kind of Liberal gives prominence to such absolute shit? A “moderate” Liberal, that’s who.

They will not be missed.

35. Dickless

How does one Virtue Signal with a Secret Ballot.

By loudly proclaiming that you voted for the “virtuous” candidate, whether or not you did?

Will the sanctions be worse than economic suicide by ruinable electrickery? How are they working against Wussia? Have you purchased your White Flag of surrender yet?

The Coalition would finesse NetZero to 26 million people’s advantage,

With the so-called “Liberal” wets all returned? If you will believe this, ….

36. I am old enough to remember when Australians who showed affection for their former homelands in the UK and mainland Europe were sneered at and constantly targeted by the snooty members of the fascist so-called “progressive” left.

When did this fantasy of yours occur, SpongeBob?
    By the way, the Labor Party is a Right Wing movement, your threadbombing can’t change that.

37. Greens leader Adam Bandt says the party has a mandate to stop new coal and gas mines and warned the Labor government that it will use its balance of power in the Senate to introduce legislation to block new mines.

How long before Bum Bandit rubs AnAl’s nose in the number of Liars seats that were won only on Slime preferences?

38. “Labor government that it will use its balance of power in the Senate to introduce legislation to block new mines.”
    This is where the Liberal party can make themselves very useful.
    Mr Dutton, I’m sure, can put Australia’s best interests first.

39. Struth, note I didn’t use Ken, that is the most sensible thing you’ve said in the last 2yrs. See you can do it. I think the ruling class are not left, right or anything. They use anyone, and the left are the easily lead. This Australian eCommissioner at Davos is not part of the ruling class. Just a pawn who thinks they have a seat at the table. If those attending WEF are functionaries they are the useful idiots. I’m not a conspiracy theorist except for what I see as the ruling class, whoever they are, stirring the pot everywhere, it doesn’t matter where as long as the status quo doesn’t continue. Power comes manipulating events like Biden being Prez. Everyone knows he’s not capable of running anything, but who exactly is running him, the swamp is not the answer. Who is running the swamp?

40. ABCcess appears to have just outright plagiarized the US democrats press release on the school shootings there.

Though this line made me laugh.
    It is impossible to know what George Washington would make of an AR-15.

The revered father of the nation was once shot during America’s revolutionary war, and the four musket balls simply lodged in the fabric of his coat.

Through the magic of the internet i bring you George Washington’s ghost giving his opinion.

41. Dickless

When did this fantasy of yours occur, SpongeBob?

Google the phrase “cultural cringe”, (very) young person of possible male characteristics.

The current Labor Party is a fascist movement, and thus Left Wing. Your thread bombing can’t change that!

42. “Greens leader Adam Bandt says the party has a mandate to stop new coal and gas mines and warned the Labor government that it will use its balance of power in the Senate to introduce legislation to block new mines.”

Good. The Liberal party must sit back and let Labor dalliance with the Greens. Getting into bed with the Greens has always been electoral suicide for Labor.

All those Hunter electorates that voted for Labor, you will reap what you sow.

43. Giverny – arrive early. Really early, before the buses descend. Skip breakfast – most tour groups are still rolling out of bed or checking out the croissants.

Go to the water garden immediately (signs point the way, tunnel under road). Do not faff around near the house – you can do that later.

Take many…many photos in solitude. The bridge will be empty and photogenic.

Do not fall into the lake.

44. LOL at Cassie whining about the Northern Beaches. They spend generations voting for Liberals, but the first time they don’t you turn on them like mangy dogs.

The Liberal Party can’t function without its blue ribbon seats. Labor can go on without the inner city seats that the Greens are pinching, because they still have a bunch of safe seats in the working class suburbs. Where are the safe spaces for the Libs now? Tasmania, which is turning into one big retirement village? The Nats are fine but the Libs are in big trouble.

45. In an interview with a German newspaper published on the eve of this year’s Davos meeting, globalist nabob Klaus Schwab has conceded WEF memberships are down and the world is trending towards becoming multipolar rather than the globalist utopia/dystopia he’s spent 50 years promoting.

Someone break it gently to Struth.

46. Get a grip Monty.
    The Australian electorate can be remarkably fickle.
    And Labor will have its finger on the focus group pulse, always.
    Three word slogan.
    Stop the boats.
    Might end up being ‘liberal lite’.

47. … so I would usually spy books such as “Dreams from My Father” and “Becoming Michelle”.

I’ll take your word on that, it’s really quite amazing that she would think Obama is a Liberal Party vote winner.

She was a Fake Moderate.
    Interesting that no Teal stood against her, Higgins is the leafiest, wealthiest Seat in Melbourne by a bit.
    Basically, she lost votes to the Right, i.e. Labor and The Greens.
    Liberal, Labor, Greens got 92% of the Primary vote in a field of 8.

48. The left are at war with the west.
    Full stop.

yep
    been brewing for a couple of decades at least

two years ago somebody in this forum asked, “what the hell’s going on”

my answer today is same as it was then, “the commies are making their play”

49. Qantas Founders now. Wing walk amongst other stuff.

There was a big shindig there last night complete with fireworks. Hope I don’t trip over any late risers.

50. It is also funny that you lot imagine the working class with a very male slant: butch tradies holding sprocket wrenches, and FIFO mine workers with a shovel over the shoulder.

And yet, the median working class person in Australia these days is a nurse or a teacher, or a service worker at a small business. The Libs have to change their policies to appeal to those kinds of voters.

51. “The Liberal Party can’t function without its blue ribbon seats. Labor can go on without the inner city seats that the Greens are pinching, because they still have a bunch of safe seats in the working class suburbs.”

Actually fatso fascist, Labor won’t survive without its working class seats, Fowler’s gone, when Werriwa, the Hunter seats and so on go, Labor will be in a worse position that the Liberals, much worse.

Have you scoffed your morning donut yet? I’m sure you didn’t stop at one.

52. This is where the Liberal party can make themselves very useful.
    Mr Dutton, I’m sure, can put Australia’s best interests first.

I doubt it since the Libs banned gas drilling off Newcastle a couple of months ago.
    Dutton will have numerous wet white ants to deal with, just like Tony Abbott.

53. Greens leader Adam Bandt says the party has a mandate to stop new coal and gas mines…

At the risk of invoking Godwin’s Law, at least Hitler got above 30% of the vote before claiming a mandate to ruin the country.

54. Hmmm…Working Class.

Blue collars, white collars, dirty and clean.

I just see productive and non productive. Builders/makers and those who serve them.

They’re all workers.

55. “that you lot imagine the working class with a very male slant: butch tradies holding sprocket wrenches, and FIFO mine workers with a shovel over the shoulder.”

What a load of bullshit.

56. BJ I don’t know why the liars pander to the green slime. The slime are never going to side with anything conservative. The teals are ex-liberal that drank the cool aid. Personally I think the teals would particularly want to have anything to do with the unwashed greens. They’re simply not our class. I haven’t checked whether the teals and greens had a high primary vote in the same electorate or the teals took the green vote.

57. rosiesays:
    May 28, 2022 at 8:15 am
    I feel very dissatisfied with Australian citizens who think we should kowtow to a communist bully
    Many Chinese Australians have expressed their dissatisfaction towards the former Coalition government for taking a strong stance against China, which some say had left them vulnerable to racial discrimination and verbal abuse.

So Ms Liu et al can’t seem to differentiate between China / Chinese people and the CCP government? So why did so many Chinese emigrate to Australia post-gold rush? There’s more billionaires and millionaires there than here, so it can’t be for economic reasons.

I wonder what it could be? I guess if you are that offended that your ‘homeland’ is being insulted, then there really is only one option………

We have enough political problems here without pandering to the sensitivities of people who aren’t really loyal to this country.

58. Allegedly Big spender is an economist*

Makes moaning noises about reform then has the cure…

Spender is adamant we must significantly increase migration – at least temporarily – to deal with staff shortages caused by COVID-19 border closures. She has floated the figure of 220,000 a year instead of the current 160,000, with 70 per cent being skilled migrants.

*Fucktard edition

59. “you lot”

There’s nothing like fascists dehumanising others. It makes it easier for them to send those who dissent off camps, gulags and executions.

60. After a few hours I walked back into the village for duck confit and salad sitting in the sun. A perfect day.

I hope you then sat back, puffing on a Gauliose, with your beret sitting at an impossibly jaunty angle.
    You did wear a beret, right?

61. Labor can go on without the inner city seats that the Greens are pinching, because they still have a bunch of safe seats in the working class suburbs.

Sez munty with all his fingers and toes crossed, and a knot in his dick. There are many, many, votes there for the Liberals to harvest, with the correct approach.

62. The serving members of the Irish Guards have been held on suspicion of dealing an illegal substance, as well as running a loan shark operation. The drug sting was led by the Royal Military Police and has taken several months to organise.

Strange? .. I read elsewhere last night, forget where, but it said they were arrested for stealing & selling guns & other armaments (hand grenades ect) ……..!

63. According to the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Collective) Elbow has had a “stellar” first week as PM.

Perhaps that was because he was out of the country for most of it?

And at least he didn’t salute the POTUS.

However, they warn it will get harder for him from here.

You think?

64. Dickless

Basically, she lost votes to the Right, i.e. Labor and The Greens.

How many times must you be told that they are fascists, and therefore Left Wing?

65. the only loss is Josh.

While he is nowhere near as bad as the others I would put him in the “part of the problem” column. A big government conservative in the Father of Middle Class Welfare mould.

66. It was you Monty that claimed there was a fine line between a tradie and a houso in creating a working class stereotype.
    Teachers would no doubt self identify as middle class.
    I agree ‘service workers’ in aged care retail etc make up a good percentage of the aspirationals in the outer burbs these days.
    Many of them are first and second generation immigrants and if Labor dramatically increases the cost of living through 2030 policies and undermining family values they’d better watch out.

67. callisays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:00 am
    Hmmm…Working Class.

Blue collars, white collars, dirty and clean.

They’re all workers.

As the “Only true conservative on the blog”, munty has difficulty relating to these groups.

68. sprocket wrenches

there’s a sale on down at Total Tools where you might pick up a whole set of sprocket wrenches.

hurry down before they’re all gone

69. m0nty says:
    May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am

No, this is a clear example of you projecting.
    You could be the subject of a case study into ideological capture.

Also:

I note that none of these could or would be a NET tax payer.

70. m0ntysays:

May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am

A what?

71. Spender is adamant we must significantly increase migration –

More serfs are needed to service the genTeal aristocracy of the best postcodes.

72. MatrixTransformsays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:11 am
    sprocket wrenches

hurry down before they’re all gone

As the “Only true conservative on the blog”, munty is not familiar with these odd varieties of tools. He will ask his man to explain what minor error he seems to have made.

73. It is also funny that you lot imagine the working class with a very male slant: butch tradies holding sprocket wrenches, and FIFO mine workers with a shovel over the shoulder.

What’s wrong with this, you raging feminist intellectual?

Would you like a world without sewerage, motor vehicles, minerals or energy?

74. Rogersays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:13 am
    Allegedly Big spender is an economist*

I’ll tell you what she is: a shill for big business.

But only one Big Business – subsidy harvesting!

75. Farmer Gezsays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:13 am
    Spender is adamant we must significantly increase migration –

More serfs are needed to service the genTeal aristocracy of the best postcodes.

Are you using “service” in the agricultural sense?

76. Semi-retired teacher…

Straying very close to parody territory with that.
    Much like a Daily Snail woe-is-us story the other day
    on the rising cost of living in the UK.
    Their go tos included a struggling sustainable lifestyle expert*, a coffee expert**
    and the owners of something called a beauty and holistic therapy business***.
    *Had to be a piss take.
    **Presumably, coffee expert is how you rebrand yourself when you’re 37 and still doing an after school job at the local caff.
    *** Just no.

77. Total Tools

Ha. Got it.

Would you like a world without sewerage, motor vehicles, minerals or energy?

It’s all done by magic, silly.

78. The Liberal Party can’t function without its blue ribbon seats.

It needs to stop selecting fake Liberals in those Seats.

Labor need those Electorate Offices in the Inner Cities for organising.
    Griffith and Ryan are University Electorates.
    Labor can never afford to lose Griffith and they’ve missed their best opportunity to pick up Ryan for the first time at a G.E.

The Liberals are competitive everywhere, they just had some fake liberals camped in their safest seats.
    Elsewhere, Bert Van Manen was easily returned in Forde, lot of hardscrabble areas there, same as Peter Dutton’s electorate.
    The problem for the Liberals was that Scotty wouldn’t make a decision he didn’t want to make.
    He shoulda punted Deves when Matt Kean raised the alarm, he mighta saved a few people and won a couple of seats from Labor.

79. Disney must know this series is going to suck, so they have picked the diversity hire as the “oh its racists who dont like it”.

Despite the fact that as a new character (as opposed to changing the sex/race of an established one for shits and giggles) she should be fine. (as long as she can act ok)
    She does seem woefully lacking in the ability to keep her yawp shut rather than reveal her lack of knowledge, which is likely to irritate fanbois more.

In her interview with the Independent, the “Obi-Wan” actress tackles diversity issues in the franchise. “To me, it’s long overdue. If you’ve got talking droids and aliens, but no people of colour, it doesn’t make any sense. It’s 2022, you know. So we’re just at the beginning of that change. But I think to start that change is better than never having started it.”

She does have a point though.
    All the storm troopers are white on the outside…

80. that you lot imagine the working class as

Well, I know what it isn’t.

It isn’t flabby football fantasists hiding indoors and acquiring capitalist cash while preaching Marx.

81. H B Bearsays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:19 am
    A real tradie uses the correct sized socket. And a 3 foot length of pipe. If speed is of the essence, reach for the gas axe.

I can remember standing (or,rather, jumping) on the end of a longer pipe, to tighten the wheel nuts on buses back in the 1960s.

82. KD

Would you like a world without sewerage, motor vehicles, minerals or energy?

It’s all done by magic, silly.

The Davos mob certainly seem to think so. Could be a shock ahead for them.

83. From ye olde fred…

I know a bloke wot knows a bloke, and he says “Used to do this all the time in Iraq. Shotgun to take the hinges off the door, chummy gets a double tap into the chest to teach him manners, and we’d be back on base before the pogo’s had scoffed all the corn flakes, in the mess.”

Instead they sat around all day and into the night scratching their arses while the decision makers made no decisions at all.

84. If you’ve got talking droids and aliens, but no people of colour, it doesn’t make any sense. It’s 2022, you know.

If one were to search for a before-its-time-standout of diversity and inclusion, look no further than the ‘wretched hive of scum and villainy’ that is The Mos Eisley cantina.

So – to summarise; fuck off, girly.

85. Dickless

Or he mighta notta.

86. The Northern Beaches…aka…the “Insular Peninsular” desperately requires a good dose of multiculturalism.
    definitely not! .. I live in a “houso’ enclave and am the only English as a 1st language resident in my street , nowadays .. my son lives, beachside, on the Central Coast, one of the sort after areas full of the over a million dollar properties & WHITE, WHITE, WHITE folk everywhere! ..
    an absolute joy to visit grandees and enter another world from my multicultural, welfare obsessed area and you want to pollute it wiv me next door types ( can’t call ’em neighbours cos I haven’t spoken to anyone nearby in 20 years .. language problems LOL!) .. shame. shame. shame!

87. Spender is adamant we must significantly increase migration –

Yep, increasing unskilled Migration was always a plank of the Menzies Liberal Party to drive wages down.

88. There were 2 Options at this Election:
    Then Senator Canavan and Colon Boyce popped up and declared NetZero dead.
    That was 2022’s Bob Brown Convoy moment.

Hey you lot……
    A lot of Yanks were very happy Trump didn’t listen to this “already defeated” garbage.
    And we have all the resources.
    Mind sets like this are the reason this country is fucked.

89. The Davos mob certainly seem to think so. Could be a shock ahead for them.

Perhaps all those little black people far away could do it for them. You know, the ones who dig up the things for mobile phones and EV batteries.

Yes. Yes, those people can do that. Don’t bring them near me, though. Yuck.

90. And yet, the median working class person in Australia these days is a nurse or a teacher, or a service worker at a small business.

Working class reimagined.

91. Well, I know what it isn’t.

Boom!

92. The left have been at war with the west since ww2.

Ever heard of Werner von Braun, Sancho?
    Course you have.

Then since the Frankfurt school.

Hey you lot…
    Heavy delusion here.

Alinsky was right wing!

93. Asian security company Certis worked with ‘their partner’ the AEC to secure Australian election

The last month has been an incredibly busy time for Australians as we prepared for the recent Federal Election. This was particularly true for Certis Security Australia, as we worked with our partner, the Australian Electoral Commission, to secure voting outpost centres across the country.

Once the election was called, Certis Security Australia had seven days to prepare operations for 73 sites. This soon grew to 250 sites, with hundreds of Certis Security Australia guards deployed across Australia. Until the end of June, our role is to ensure the security of ballot papers and outpost sites until all votes have been counted. The security of these outpost sites is essential to the democratic process.

Certis Security Australia was chosen as the Australian Electoral Commission’s new security partner for the 2022 election, due to our success in providing security in previous state elections. Over the last two months, our guards have worked night shifts on weekdays and provided 24-hour coverage on weekends securing outpost centres, as well as safeguarding ballots at pre-polling centres.

94. Albanese flags relief as power bills rise as much as 95pc

On Friday, Mr Albanese ruled out adopting a UK-style tax on the profits of oil and gas companies to provide relief for households but acknowledged that energy prices were adding to cost of living pressures.

UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced a £5 billion ($8.9 billion) windfall tax to help fund a £15 billion support package for British families hit by rising prices.

“No, we won’t be going down that track,”? Mr Albanese said.

Some customers face 95pc rise

The cost of living pressures come as NSW household customers of power retailer Electricity in a Box have been told of a 95 per cent increase in their bills. Gas prices have surged four-fold for two textile manufacturers in Melbourne as the global energy crunch finally slams home.

The extraordinary price increases provide evidence that the regulated rise in electricity tariffs of up to 18 per cent announced this week is only a pale shadow of the dark energy price crisis starting to grip Australia, which has been described by one energy user as “frightening”?.

They have dashed hopes that homes and businesses will escape the crisis that has plagued European markets, pushed homes into energy poverty and closed energy-intensive manufacturing plants.

The crunch also increases the complexity of the emissions reductions task for Australia’s new Labor government, already under pressure on climate commitments and which had promised before the election – as had the Coalition – lower energy prices under its watch.

At Electricity in a Box, which has about 3000 household customers, chief executive Morgan Duncan said the electricity market was “broken”?, with soaring wholesale prices that showed no sign of abating.

95. “Sprocket wrench” was a gag, thanks for making it funny.

The problem with your male-oriented stereotypes of the working class, Dot, is that you misunderstand how to appeal to it. The working class is mostly women, so if the Libs want to get their votes they will have to change a lot.

96. It is impossible to know what George Washington would make of an AR-15.

Try the novel, THE GUNS OF THE SOUTH by Harry Turtledove an alternate history tale involving 20th century South African mercenaries travelling back in time and supplying the Confederacy with AK47s ..
    very enjoyable .. ‘the South wins the War” novel …..

97. At Electricity in a Box, which has about 3000 household customers, chief executive Morgan Duncan said the electricity market was “broken”

Who broke it?

98. m0ntysays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:35 am
    “Sprocket wrench” was a gag, thanks for making it funny.

Suuuuuure munty, we believe you, but we lot are sooooo much better than those other people that you avoid in the street.

99. So Ms Liu et al can’t seem to differentiate between China / Chinese people and the CCP government? So why did so many Chinese emigrate to Australia post-gold rush?

Not Post Gold Rush, during the Gold Rush.
    You’re talking 170 years ago.

Huh?

100. Power price spike ‘just the start’ as smaller energy retailers struggle with surging wholesale market

Aaand the fault belongs to:

Coal still accounts for about two-thirds of the electricity used by Australians, and the commodity’s rise in price was last month cited as a major cause of ballooning wholesale costs.

Odd then that mine mouth power stations – such as Loy Yang, Millmerran, Kogan Creek, and Callide – have long-term, CPI-based coal supply contracts, not affected by the Russia-augmented international thermal coal price.

Someone is being a touch truthy…

101. Until May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am, the term “working class” was used to describe people employed as labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

Arguably, that also describes nurses and teachers. I remember the old days when the entrance scores for those two professions were very low.

102. Gez

munty has been reimagining the whole political system for years. That’s why he’s the “Only true conservative” on the blog. He keeps changing the definition of everything until it matches his political preferences.

See also his re-definition of Menzies as a muntian “progressive” on the No Likely Comeback thread.

103. Albanese and Wong are some of the most popular politicians in the country, Dot. KK not so much, and good riddance tbh.

They certainly won’t warm to Mr Potato Head.

104. Sure monty

Gals with B.Ed & MA or B Nurs/M Med Sci want to be called “unskilled labour”. They demand to have it in their EBAs and want to talk with Albo about it over a beer.

Have you had your shot of Clonazepam & Thorazine today?

105. labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

munty does another re-definition. Any teachers/nurses here care to comment?

PS, talk about living in the past! Nurses do things these days that only doctors did not many years ago, as do ambulance paramedics.

106. Until May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am, the term “working class” was used to describe people employed as labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

Good Lord, monty; that’s leading with your chin like a dreadnaught.

107. Alinsky was right wing!

Correct, though belonging to the Reactionary/Fascist extreme.
    No Working Class person in their right mind is voting for that, so he had to maintain a Man Of The People persona.

Bob Brown did the same, the mask slipped when he made his
    Fellow Earthians in the Parliamentary forecourt and his handlers brought out the hook.

108. In the vein of Andrew O’Keefe, doubtless this is someone or something else’s fault (the Hun):

Former cricketer Michael Slater has been charged with assault and stalking/intimidating a woman following an incident last month.

Slater was formally arrested at Sydney’s Manly police station early on Friday morning, after police were called to a unit in Manly on April 26. Slater appeared before a magistrate later on Friday, where he entered a plea of not guilty.

The alleged assault occurred just hours after charges relating to a separate incident in 2021 were dismissed on mental health grounds.

One or more of these cockheads need to be nailed upside down over the entrance to TV network buildings, as a reminder that past ability (in Slater’s case, world class talent) does not translate into a lifetime free pass.

109. monty’s mental health issues and lack of purpose are the same as Karl Marx’s.

As Weber would describe him, he belongs to the leisure class. He’s too stupid to relate to other people.

110. Older teachers get pay commensurate with the middle class, but young teachers – of which there are many, if. It a majority – still get paid poorly in comparison. Not sure what it’s like with full time nurses but many nurses are casual or part time and this don’t earn enough to be truly middle class.

The fact that credentialism has crept into teaching and nursing does not necessarily mean that they can be thought of as highly paid.

111. China in Focus – NTD
    00:57 More protests in Shanghai, residents detained
    03:01 Shanghai senior believed to have starved to death
    04:00 Reports: 2 foreigners dead amid Shanghai lockdown
    04:57 Chinese hackers steal trillions of dollars of IP
    06:43 Beijing tries to block Shen Yun shows in Mexico
    10:01 ‘Falling in love again’: Expert on U.S. – S. Korea ties

112. Dotsays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:13 am

About 100k a year sometimes.

113. labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

Not sure if my dil would agree she’s just qualified as a nurse after 4 years of study & exams in between raising 4 kids under 7 ……

114. Until May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am, the term “working class” was used to describe people employed as labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

Rubbish.
    You might be on $500 grand/year operating a Tower Crane on a Melbourne High Rise, but you’re still Working Class, comrade.

Correct.
    Entrance to Teachers Training College was below Matriculation to University scores, you could enter Nursing as a Trainee after Year 10.
    Teachers Salary in Qld for 1964:
    [State] Primary School-1,100 Pounds/year
    ” High School – 1,200 ” /year.

115. 06:43 Beijing tries to block Shen Yun shows in Mexico

Shen Yun couldn’t get a theatre booking in Brisbane and put their show “China Before Communism” on in Toowoomba’s Empire Theatre.

116. m0ntysays:
    May 28, 2022 at 9:54 am

Backward double somersault with pike while peddling a bike backwards at 100 kph. Cést magnifique!

117. Yeh, the Tradie pays for the Houso to sit on his arse and whinge about why he needs more money for smokes and bourbon.

Thank you umpire & ball boys! .. I neither smoke nor drink bourbon & at $112 a week rent this OAP “houso” doesn’t whinge about needing more money, either cos I very rarely spend all of what I get anyway .. LOL!

118. Ok, what is a “cultural stick”? From a series on the violence in Aboriginal communities in the Oz:

The Warlpiri man also threatened to hit the girls if they didn’t reveal where his daughter was.

He forced them into his car and drove erratically to their friend’s home where he punched Ruby in the face twice before pulling her into his car.

With SB and SW in the back seat, he took the three crying girls back to the house, punching his daughter’s head as he drove.

He then ordered Ruby inside but not before punching her back, striking her legs with a piece of iron, pushing her to the ground and smashing her phone.

Once inside, Dean took his daughter to the middle bedroom where he kept punching her before striking her back and ankles with a cultural stick.

119. Really monty

117k p.a. for an “unskilled” wukka class job eh? In NSW this isn’t enough, public or private and they want a 10% increase.

These poor teachers are the same as those on the minimum wage or working casually for cash?

This is so dumb it is hilarious.

120. Quote from Donald Trump regarding the shooting.

“The existence of evil in our world is not a reason to DISARM law-abiding citizens — the existence of evil is one of the very best reasons to ARM law-abiding citizens,”

121. From a series on the violence in Aboriginal communities in the Oz:

Recognition in the Constitution, a voice in Parliament and a “Treaty” ……….

122. My point is that under the old system, the median Liberal voter was a male office worker wearing a suit. Under the new regime, if you lot have your way, the median Liberal voter will be a part-time female nurse or teacher. What policies are the Libs going to change to appeal to this new voter, which is supposed to be the core of their new base? I don’t see much in the way of flexibility from you lot, it’s all classical liberal economics with a side order of climate change denialism. That mix is not appealing to Nurse Maddy or Miss Narayanan.

123. Ed Case says: That’s why America brought all the Nazi scientists to the United States. Ever heard of Werner von Braun, Sancho?

124. What policies are the Libs going to change to appeal to this new voter, which is supposed to be the core of their new base?

How about reliable and affordable electrickery?

125. *I don’t see any flexibility at all other than to leave tens of millions of people alone and let them make their own choices…*

This is so dense it is a black hole of stupidity.

126. In an interview with a German newspaper published on the eve of this year’s Davos meeting, globalist nabob Klaus Schwab has conceded WEF memberships are down and the world is trending towards becoming multipolar rather than the globalist utopia/dystopia he’s spent 50 years promoting.

Someone break it gently to Struth.

You don’t have to tell me.

For the first time this year, the smug arrogance of Klaus Schwab has been replaced with a facade that is able to be seen through.
    Look at his recent videos during this Meeting in Davos.
    His welcome speech for instance.
    Looking more like Hitler every day.
    Banging his arms around and a hint of desperation in the voice.

The problem being for the meglomaniacs at Davos, is for the very first time some virtue signalling billionaire members are taking a hit, and the work of the on line independent journalists are getting their names out there, there is for the first time push back , some coming from within their own ranks.
    We haven’t lost yet.
    Don’t you think the dumbest person on earth right now would be a bloke subservient to global communism fighting to become PM of Australia?
    To a politically Naive nation, he’ll be the bad guy.
    It’s a poison challice.
    Lefties aren’t smart.
    They destroy everything because they believe that they are, and assume all are as thick as them.
    Look at Monty.
    Look at Klaus using the term “stakeholder capitalism” because he’s that dense that he thinks the world won’t interpret what he really means by that.

But he and the rest of them get angry next……..they only ever double down, they never admit to being wrong and they will never look at themselves. It will be our fault he had to kill us.
    Classic leftism.

127. No management responsibilities outside the classroom. More holidays than most other workers.

Now now Dot, don’t poke the bear. Teachers do a lot of unpaid work, including marking and after-school activities. They earn their keep.

Young teachers and those who are casual or part-time often don’t earn enough to be middle-class. Is it any wonder that there is a teacher shortage?

128. Ex-Pies player Craig Kelly takes an unpopular stance, that of personal responsibility (the Hun):

Powerful player agent Craig Kelly has hit-out at Nick Riewoldt over his drug claims and said the current playing cohort needed to take more personal responsibility for any substance issues.

The drugs debate has flared after it was revealed former Saint Sam Fisher had been arrested and was facing the prospect of jail time over drug trafficking charges.

While Riewoldt said more had to be done for players transitioning out of AFL ranks, Kelly said players also had to take more ownership of their own substance issues given the amount of resources dedicated to the problem.

Nick Riewoldt would be the bloke who had nekkid, posed pictures taken of him by a 17 year old groupie, and who then scattered copies of them all over Flinders Street Station when he got bored with her.

Kelly, who is one of the most influential voices in the football industry as the boss of management giant TLA, said footballers at the top level had much more welfare support than others in the community.

“The players have got to realise they have got to get off their backside and they have got to actually look after themselves. “If they have got problems, the support is there.

“Stop blaming everyone else and let’s get them making sure they actually (take responsibility) and do something for themselves as well as the people around them.”

Geez. Not very hand-pattish.

Riewoldt was adamant players were slipping through the cracks but Kelly said the former Saint had over-stated the problem considering recent improvements in player welfare.

“He is out of line saying there are a lot more players out there (with serious drug problems). There is a lot less than when he was playing,” Kelly said.

“There was a generation and a group … and we were getting better and I would suggest that was probably the period when Nick was there and Sam and plenty others (who had problems), we know that,” he said.

If anyone ‘slipped through the cracks’ it was Riewoldt, who is (and has been for years) a multi-millionaire pub investor turned media faceache.

129. Until May 28, 2022 at 8:57 am, the term “working class” was used to describe people employed as labour in unskilled/semi-skilled work.

Wrong.
    Working Class refers to people who’ve gotta go to work for a Wage or Salary to earn a living.
    Middle Class used to refer to Medical Practitioners, Solicitors, Bank Managers, and, at a pinch, Dentists.
    The Upper Classes were people who lived on the proceeds on Inherited Wealth.
    The Middle Class has been hollowed out by Medicare turning Doctors into Mendicants, Family Law and Legal Aid doing the same to Solicitors and massive downsizing of Bank employees.
    Dentists are all that’s left.
    Some Sparky earning $10 grand a week working in a remote location thinks he’s Middle Class?
    He’s dreamin’.
    Some Tradie small businessman raking in the buck$$ thinks he’s Middle Class?
    Lower Middle Class at best, more likely Upper Working Class.

130. More from those articles in the Weekend Oz. WTF is “Intergenerational trauma?”

In March, Constable Rolfe was found not guilty of murdering Walker at the remote outback community during that arrest in November 2019.

But the tragic case thrust the troubled town – and its social issues – into the light. Before his death at the age of 19, Walker was the living embodiment of the deep, intergenerational trauma and abuse that is the flip side of Australia’s egalitarian prosperity.

In remote towns like Yuendumu, the greatest tragedy of Walker’s story was how common it is: a baby born in circumstances of substance use and family instability, who himself developed addictions, destructive behaviours and a lengthy criminal history.

In death, Walker was eulogised as a happy person who loved animals and his family.

The revelations that relatives were fed up with his offending and that he had been inflicting horrific acts of violence on his girlfriend prompted some critics to suggest these parts of his story should not have been told.

131. Now now Dot, don’t poke the bear. Teachers do a lot of unpaid work, including marking and after-school activities

No, they are expected to mark the work. That is part of their salary and hours. They don’t have to do out of hours school activities at all.

There is a teacher shortage of males and people with science degrees.

Graduate teachers get paid nearly $80k and have no work if they aren’t prepared to travel (which helps them get to choose where they get a permanent job for life anyway).

Quit your bullshit monty.

You don’t even know what point you are trying to make anymore.

132. The other thing about lauding aspirational tradies and FIFO miners as the new Liberal base is that they probably already vote Liberal. Appealing more to them isn’t going to help win seats in the Reps, the Libs can count on their votes and they still got their bums kicked last week. They must increase their vote among women and service workers. To do that, they will have to change in ways that you lot will not like.

133. Actually Werner chose the USA. I have his biography. He and another 100 rocket scientists chose America to surrender to because they thought that country would push rocketry the most.

He was a Nazi, so he was always going to say that.
    The British also got their hands on all [?] the medical research
    done unethically by the Nazis, the U.S. got all the Japanese stuff.
    Ever heard of Unit 731?

134. Laughed out loud at today’s pronouncement from The Oz’s perennnial fossil Paul Kelly, who has been retailing grand cliches since his first love Gough Whitlam:

Dawning of the great national realignment
    Anthony Albanese signals a new style of government that may fit the time.

Give us a spell, sport: the duopoly has just changed colours after last year’s model got tired and pissed off the Australian middle class with stunts like Net Zero, which the chattering classes have attached themselves to as this year’s fashion for parasites.

And with the lowest primary vote in history the Liars will now try to remodel Australia in Karl Marx’s image under an old Trokskyist who can’t believe his luck that Filth preferences have once again delivered power to the trade union party with a parliamentary majority of one.

It isn’t a “great national realignment” for those who’ve been paying attention; it’s what happens when the notionally pro-free market party becomes so like the trade union party socialists that the electorate has finally asked itself: why not vote for the real thing?

With the help of Malcolm Turnbull whose anointed successor finally achieved his dream of destroying the Liberal Party.

135. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has signalled additional cost of living relief as the global energy crisis hits Australia, with some households in NSW warned that their power bills will rise by as much as 95 per cent.

Well it wont matter.

After all we are enjoying the “electricity too cheap to meter” so a doubling will still amount to SFA wont it?

Its weird, everywhere thats trying to decouple from reliable, large scale base load power is doing shit.
    A veritable turducken of mystery.

136. Tom – snoozer Kelly’s effort was particularly laughable this weekend. Bit of it on the ALPBC this week in the wake of “their” victory.

137. National SOCIALIST workers party Ed.
    NAZIS.

Left wing through and through.
    Once you see that fucking bleeding obvious there you can make the whole world out so much easier and you won’t be making such a goose of yourself.
    You’ll find yourself saying things like, oh it’s not just the new left that hate the Jews when it used to be right wingers….you’ll know it’s always been the left.

You’ll understand why racism from the “you lot” collectivist left has always come from collectivists and not individualists.
    You cannot be a racist without being a collectivist.
    Stop your confusion and work it out .
    The one great lie chanted by the left until covid was that Hitler was right wing.
    They had to push that line….
    It’s confused you.

138. Ever heard of Unit 731?

Yes Ed, I discussed it a little bit in my book Atomic Salvation.

If you’d like to point me to where you have written about it we can have a discussion.

Von Braun, if you read up on him, was obsessed by rocket science. He rightly estimated the Americans would be more into military grade missiles than anyone else – and that might lead to a moon shot.

139. The ALP has slightly less than 31% of the NSW Senate vote right now.

Informal may be 7%, turnout maybe at best, 90%. Not even counting non-enrolments.

Even with compulsory voting, only about 1/4 (and possibly less) of the people voted for them.

140. They must increase their vote among women and service workers. To do that, they will have to change in ways that you lot will not like.

141. Yeah the Nazi’s were lefties indeed. That’s why so many prominent people around the western world were hugely embarrassed after the war by their admiration of and praise for Hitler in the 30s.

There was a lot of sympathy for the defeated Germans and the state of their country after WW1 and admiration for the brave socialist Mr Hitler who was doing such good things for the poor German people.
    Providing them with new cars and holiday on cruise ships, etc.

142. The idea that a nominally right wing party needs to be more like the ALP is simply absurd.

Sure, fine. Keep losing. Abandon the Liberal Party and watch it fade into irrelevance. Good.

143. The base is not some abstract category of worker, it is whoever is struggling to afford buying a house, keep their family in modest comfort, maintain custody and care of their children against a state that is increasingly prepared to medically interfer with their children outside of their knowledge, and so on.

144. shatterzzzsays:
    May 28, 2022 at 10:02 am

Yes exactly, you don’t whinge.

145. Monty has claimed the premiership for Labor and utter defeat for the LNP but we’ve yet to see the new team on the park.
    Biden’s Butt Pluggers did the same victory lap yet before half time they’re gone.

146. The base is not some abstract category of worker, it is whoever is struggling to afford buying a house, keep their family in modest comfort, maintain custody and care of their children against a state that is increasingly prepared to medically interfer with their children outside of their knowledge, and so on.

Uh, that is not the Liberal Party base. Historically, the Liberal Party base is a lapsed Protestant called Matt with two mortgages, two cars, two kids, two tennis rackets mouldering in the shed and too much time to think about how unfair everyone is to him.

147. If they weren’t wet squibs they would have most of the UAP, PHON and LDP votes plus many of the informal, non enrolments and those who chose not to vote this time.

These parties wouldn’t exist if the SFL hadn’t followed the Liars and greens.

148. monty

On current turnout and valid votes, excluding non enrolments and even with compulsory voting, less than 20% of NSW electors actually voted for the ALP in the Senate.

“Keep losing”

Not my dog in this fight, but I believe the conservatives have held office with more regularity than the ALPs.

149. What policies are the Libs going to change to appeal to this new voter, which is supposed to be the core of their new base? I don’t see much in the way of flexibility from you lot, it’s all classical liberal economics with a side order of climate change denialism. That mix is not appealing to Nurse Maddy or Miss Narayanan.

Actually this is a serious problem for the Liberals.

‘The Science’ says Australian politicians can’t actually do anything to materially change the trajectory of the climate – however they do need to manage the country’s response to obtain the best outcome for Australians.

At the moment the fashionable political response is to shut down reliable electricity generation and stop using fossil fuels toot sweet. Apparently it’s what enough Australians want to vote in a government committed to doing just that. It would be political stupidity to ignore that.

However the social and economic cost is still a little way down the track (although bits of the future reality are starting to pop up in power bills).

Being pragmatic the Liberal party has a choice of:

1. following the ALP/Green/Teal path of Net Zero Without Delay Whatever The Cost – and competing on who can destroy the social economy least painfully; or

2. developing an alternative – perhaps HELE coal, perhaps based around nuclear energy – and waiting for the reality bite to kick into the electorate.

Can’t really run both strategies under the one roof.

150. Laughable. The Liars scrape into government after a decade and the electorate forgets how bad they were and mUnty is proclaiming the death of the Lieboral Party. Clown.

151. a lapsed Protestant called Matt with two mortgages, two cars, two kids, two tennis rackets mouldering in the shed and too much time to think about how unfair everyone is to him.

This sounds like you, yet you’ve voted Labor all your life.

152. Like it or not, ‘climate change’ (and everything that goes with it) is a now the front and centre, mainstream political issue in Australia.

Until inflation really gets going and house price declines reach a serious down trajectory.

Most Australians will put pocket before the virtuous. And that is where Dutton needs to hammer in good and hard.